• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Kreizler

Neo Member
Hilariously, I was summoned to a guy who was fighting
Ludwig
for the first time, and somehow we beat him RIGHT before the transformation. It literally said 'PREY SLAUGHTERED" and then began the transformation clip. I thought it was a glitch. Sure enough, as soon as it was over he died. Lol.

Haha that happened with me too...wonder if this has happened to others. But I was part of a 3-person team. Same exact thing though. First form down, it said "Prey Slaughtered" and I was super confused, then after that second cutscene, fight done.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Bloodborne is $19.99 on Amazon. I'm tempted to get it. But I had that the DLC is digital. Is the complete edition from the UK all on disc, the DLC too? Should I import it?

Cruxist

So, is the moonlight blade actually terrible, or is it my gem set up? I got it up to +9 and have 30 str, 40 fai. I'm doing less with it than my hunter axe.

myco666

So, is the moonlight blade actually terrible, or is it my gem set up? I got it up to +9 and have 30 str, 40 fai. I'm doing less with it than my hunter axe.

I got it up to +8 with my 50 Str / 40 Arc and slotted some decent gems and I think the damage is good when you buff it. Also the moveset is fantastic.

MilkBeard

i didnt get to try Moonlight Sword for a long time to properly assess its effectiveness, but the moveset looked kinda shitty to me...?

Especially compared to the crazy range / stagger / moves of Ludwig's sword from the main game.

Anyone had enough time with it? Love its looks but if the moveset aint good enough then I'll stick to my Ludwig.

Might seem that way at first, but it's upgrade stats are above LHB. Once you get them at the same level, the HMB will surpass it by far. And then you'll get used to the moveset. It has two charged attacks, which is nice. There's no quick attack sword like in LHB, so you might want to use a faster weapon as your second choice.

MilkBeard

Both my LHB and Moonlight Blade are +9, and the MLB is nearly 100 more attack on the stat screen. It's a beast.

valkyre

I tested it for a short time and found the moveset lacking as well....and regretted upgrading it to +9.....

....BUT, I tried a few depth 5 C/F/R gem farm runs in chalice dungeons whit it today and found the moveset has way more to it than initially apparent. The R2 charge has a combo (R2 - R2 in both forms), the L2 has a ridiculous AE knockback range (cleared 9 red spiders in a small tunnel in one hit!), the friggin L1 combo out of anything is a fast AE knockdown that does about 150% base damage and doesn't consume bullets.

Starting in 2H mode: R2 R2 L1 R1 R1 is a nice safe combo against anything that can be knocked down and deals about 7000 damage at +10 with all physical gems (30 STR, 50 SKL, 30 ARC, 220 stamina). Compare that to BoM spam that ends with 5500 damage in one stamina bar and you see this weapon is really really good even if it eats through your bullets rather fast if you use the cheesy L2 a lot.

Interesting! Very interesting! That makes me want to go home and get right to it! Thanks for the info.

Btw what choice of gems did you go with Moonlight? Worthwhile to invest arcane on it or just go a mix of physical and arcane?

Might seem that way at first, but it's upgrade stats are above LHB. Once you get them at the same level, the HMB will surpass it by far. And then you'll get used to the moveset. It has two charged attacks, which is nice. There's no quick attack sword like in LHB, so you might want to use a faster weapon as your second choice.

Thats good news as well! Glad that this is not just good looks. ;)

Arjen

Final boss down, after 50 tries yesterday, today on the 2nd attempt. Dat feeling man, that's why I love these games so much.

GeNoMe

Oh lord......fear the old blood, by the gods! Fear it!!
So many games that I need to finish...why did this have to come out right now! :(

Derpot

People seem to like the Saif a lot, but I dunno. When I tried the weapon, I didn't really like the moveset. It feels... a bit weird.
What advantages does it have?

Manu

Can
Orphan of Kos
be parried on his second phase? I'm finding him relatively easy until that point and then he wrecks me.

Ferr986

Starting in 2H mode: R2 R2 L1 R1 R1 is a nice safe combo against anything that can be knocked down and deals about 7000 damage at +10 with all physical gems (30 STR, 50 SKL, 30 ARC, 220 stamina). Compare that to BoM spam that ends with 5500 damage in one stamina bar and you see this weapon is really really good even if it eats through your bullets rather fast if you use the cheesy L2 a lot.

I got it up to +8 with my 50 Str / 40 Arc and slotted some decent gems and I think the damage is good when you buff it. Also the moveset is fantastic.

How does the Moonlight Sword works btw?

I mean, I'm sure the projectiles scale with just ARC, but what about regular R1s with the transformed version? does it scale better with STR or ARC?

When I finish my first DLC run I want to make a character for this weapon, and I'm not sure what should be my offensive 50 stat for it, STR or ARC.

myco666

How does the Moonlight Sword works btw?

I mean, I'm sure the projectiles scale with just ARC, but what about regular R1s with the transformed version? does it scale better with STR or ARC?

When I finish my first DLC run I want to make a character for this weapon, and I'm not sure what should be my offensive 50 stat for it, STR or ARC.

I would assume everything while using the buffed version scales better with Arc and the non buffed version scales with Str. Kinda like how Chikage works with BT and Skill. Haven't tested yet though but I think these are safe assumptions to make.

MilkBeard

Interesting! Very interesting! That makes me want to go home and get right to it! Thanks for the info.

Btw what choice of gems did you go with Moonlight? Worthwhile to invest arcane on it or just go a mix of physical and arcane?

I have gems that boost the physical attack and also arcane scaling.

p3n

Tried 9% physical +74 Arcane gems in all slots: meh.
Tried 21% All-Attack (nourishing) gems in all slots: hmmm better.
Tried 27% physical in all slots: HOLY SHIT.

The nourishing gems improve the pure projectile damage a bit but overall I ended up at 790 AR which seemed low compared to LHB. All physical gems is giving me ~980 AR (probably 1000+ with 50 STR) with a split of ~825 physical and ~155 Arcane and I think it is the way to go.

For all attacks that consume bullets you want to hit with the sword and the projectile at the same time. It is not a spam weapon so you will have to plan your attacks carefully. If you find yourself overwhelmed by many enemies, just L2 into their middle and send them flying.

Ferr986

I would assume everything while using the buffed version scales better with Arc and the non buffed version scales with Str. Kinda like how Chikage works with BT and Skill. Haven't tested yet though but I think these are safe assumptions to make.

That was my asumption too but I did read (I think on Fextra?) that regular transformed attacks scales better with physical gems than ARC gems, that's why I though maybe R1 attacks do better with higher STR even if transformed.

MilkBeard

For all attacks that consume bullets you want to hit with the sword and the projectile at the same time. It is not a spam weapon so you will have to plan your attacks carefully. If you find yourself overwhelmed by many enemies, just L2 into their middle and send them flying.

Yep. The projectile itself does okay damage, and is good for a long range hit if you want to chip away health, but when you get the projectile + sword hit, it combines the damage.

nym

Neo Member
Back to 100% on my trophies. The DLC was a fantastic piece of content, and while I'm very happy I finished it, I'm kind of bummed as this means no more Bloodborne content unless we get a sequel some day. Easily my GOTY, and my favorite game of this gen. I'm also super curious to see what the devs take from Bloodborne in the crafting the next Souls game.

The Rakuyo is way good. I don't even have good gems yet or a super high level (at 70 now, with like 28 Skill) and it rolls people. Transformed R1 combo is good, and you have decent options in the R1 string (fast poke with R2, double slash into spin2win if you L2). In PvE the spin2win destroys most enemies' Poise and deals beefy damage. You can do it out of a run too.

I loved the draw slash mechanic of Chikage but it's perma-sacked for this.

I haven't gotten the chance to try it yet (need to make a build for it), but from what I understand the Moonlight Sword is mega WTF strong. Like, wrecks the Ludwig's Holy Blade in every conceivable way.

myco666

That was my asumption too but I did read (I think on Fextra?) that regular transformed attacks scales better with physical gems than ARC gems, that's why I though maybe R1 attacks do better with higher STR even if transformed.

Need to test it then. Fextra has bunch of misinformation about the DLC though atleast the last time I checked.

How do I make the insight shop to sell chunks?

Get to Mensis.

valkyre

I have gems that boost the physical attack and also arcane scaling.

Tried 9% physical +74 Arcane gems in all slots: meh.
Tried 21% All-Attack (nourishing) gems in all slots: hmmm better.
Tried 27% physical in all slots: HOLY SHIT.

The nourishing gems improve the pure projectile damage a bit but overall I ended up at 790 AR which seemed low compared to LHB. All physical gems is giving me ~980 AR (probably 1000+ with 50 STR) with a split of ~825 physical and ~155 Arcane and I think it is the way to go.

Physical it is then.

Anyone knows any Chalice codes to get +27% atk gems?

Most I have I think is 25% and they have some nasty side effects :(

Spoo

So I beat the first boss on another character. Not a NG+* character, just one I had when I was going through with a friend (but we stopped). He is level 81, and I just want to say, very clearly:

This is a *completely* different experience on NG, and probably NG+. My previous attempts were close, but every attack he had was a one shot and it was nearly impossible to do. On this character? 2 attempts.

Playing this shit on NG+3 just wasn't fun. Playing it on just regular NG *is*, and it seems completely balanced -- turning the first boss from a character completely unbalanced, and unfun to fight, to something more meaningful and interesting. Thank God, I can actually play this fucking DLC now.

Fair warning to those coming in for the first time -- Don't play this shit on NG++++++. Just play it on a NG, and you'll have an experience that is closer to the base game: tough but fair. Anything else just seems completely unbalanced.

Naite

I still need to try the other weapons, but Boom Hammer and whirligig saw are currently my go to PvE weapons. The former has great R2 attack range that enemies including npc hunters walk into. It made the fights with B
rador
trivial. The saw is great even in the non tricked out version.

Still want to try out beast claws with the new rune, but L
aurence's
2nd phase was kicking my ass last night.

Saint9806

What are the best early DLC weapons? I have the Beast Cutter and Boon Hammer so far. I don't want to waste my chunks on something that will be crap.

So every time I start a NG++ and beyond the shop doesn't sell chunks until I get to mensis?

I started NG+ just yesterday. Shop is still selling Chunks and whatnot for me so no, you don't have to go to Mensis afterwards. I did beat Vicar though and got at least to the DLC, but I remember checking when I first got to NG+ and it all seemed the exact same. In fact they might be selling more Chalice mats now? Either way, looks like you only need to get to Mensis once from what I can tell.

I had a weird bug when helping a friend for L
udwig
Just before his second phase, during the cutscene where he grabs his sword. My friend skipped this cutscene by pressing the touchpad/option and then... The boss died instantly lol
So, after some tries, we couldn't even finish him properly... Shame, because the P2 is glorious :/

MilkBeard

I had a weird bug when helping a friend for L
udwig
Just before his second phase, during the cutscene where he grabs his sword. My friend skipped this cutscene by pressing the touchpad/option and then... The boss died instantly lol
So, after some tries, we couldn't even finish him properly... Shame, because the P2 is glorious :/

Yeah, seems there is this weird bug where he dies at the second transformation. Happened to me once when I was co oping for someone. It actually looked like a glitch because I swear his health was half way, but then it said "prey slaughtered." watched the scene, and then he died.

Got my main into dlc. She is using kirk and in NG+++. Rushed to first boss..... I sware I'm doing more % damage to this guys life bar per hit than my dude in NG was. I take about the same damage too.

Any info on how much HP these guys have in NG, NG+, NG++ etc?

so, those 2 shark fucks in the well. anyone willing to help? NG+, 125.
I had one of them at literally 10 hp left but I'm not even sure if it matters to kill one and die to the 2nd one, if they both respawn after. after the 2nd one joins I have no idea how I'm supposed to win.

also I have no shaman bone blade, I'd need to go in a late-game area (and I'm far from that) or do chalice dungeons in order to get it.

Cant you buy shaman bonesfrom insight vendor?

Top Bottom