• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

NG or NG+?

On NG+ you definetly need a +10 weapon and decent gems.
NG and I've been through a bunch of chalice dungeons already. Only full ones I didn't do yet are the Loran ones and beyond. Didn't finish Lower Pthumeru but that's because that place is crazy and Rom's health pool is absurd.

fastmower

So, just switched over to my NG+ character to try and sneak an attempt before people arrived...

...1 shotted OoK. He's so much easier to deal with when you can take 3-4 hits before dying compared to NG+11 where he'll 1 or 2 shot you with all but 1-2 of his abilities.

Now, I KNOW I shouldn't be complaining, it's MY FAULT for going into the DLC at this high of NG+ level but damn.

Excellent fight though, regardless of difficulty.

Would love some GAFers help either later tonight or tomorrow on OoK NG+11 still though :p
Humblebrag...

I wish I could do what you do.

Floody

Fighting him now. Phase one is simple enough but I'm not seeing any real opening for phase 2. And then he one shots/traps me against a wall with massive pools of lava. Fun lol.

I know, it's what's annoying me most now. There's a small opening when he
splits fire at you
on his left side, his
fire trail
has a dodgy hitbox though.

L
aurence
can go fuck himself, can't even get him to his final phase anymore. The glorified
Cleric Beast
looking asshole.

Keep at it, you'll get use to his patern. But yea, he's a bitch alright...
You can summon a NPC btw, just down the stair in front of the boss' door

Sanctuary

Could I get maybe a non super biased (hard I know) opinion about the DLC? I enjoyed the vanilla game quite a bit for my initial three playthroughs, but I didn't really feel any need to replay it since. Mostly because of the "samey" factor that happened even through my first playthrough. The Chalice Dungeons were a waste of time to me too. Are the environments and enemies varied all that much in this, or is it pretty much just more of the same, but with the amount of weapons that should have been in the vanilla game by default?

My friends wants to try Ng+ coop with two helpers, me be like.

1ff7564e141697032750523206_700wa_0.gif

Floody

Keep at it, you'll get use to his patern. But yea, he's a bitch alright...
You can summon a NPC btw, just down the stair in front of the boss' door

I know, been using him. I just need to take a break, he doesn't seem unbeatable, like OoK did at first, but his one hit kill swipes are soo annoying.

myco666

NG and I've been through a bunch of chalice dungeons already. Only full ones I didn't do yet are the Loran ones and beyond. Didn't finish Lower Pthumeru but that's because that place is crazy and Rom's health pool is absurd.

Get your weapon up to +9 atleast. Should make it much more manageable.

Sorry, I can only speak for NG+, but since it seems sony recommended level 65+ to the reviewers, you should be fine, I guess.

It could help if you got the gems on mergo's nightmare, they definetly could make a difference.

Fuck fighting that thing head on. Just run past him
and come back to backstab him when he turns around.
Thank you, it worked, but what in the fuck is that glowing orange thing in the room behind him? I didn't take a single step forward after seeing that and just up and left.
Sorry, I can only speak for NG+, but since it seems sony recommended level 65+ to the reviewers, you should be fine, I guess.

It could help if you got the gems on mergo's nightmare, they definetly could make a difference.
That recommended level is nothing but lies. I was in the mid 70's earlier in the week and was able to deal with the hunters decently, but the stuff stronger is no joke at all.
Get your weapon up to +9 atleast. Should make it much more manageable.
This makes more sense. I hope this dlc has lots of chunks in it.

silva1991

Do I need to beat
OoK
to make the beast
hide guy invade m
e for the last time for the last piece of armor?

myco666

Thank you, it worked, but what in the fuck is that glowing orange thing in the room behind him? I didn't take a single step forward after seeing that and just up and left.

That recommended level is nothing but lies. I was in the mid 70's earlier in the week and was able to deal with the hunters decently, but the stuff stronger is no joke at all.

This makes more sense. I hope this dlc has lots of chunks in it.

You need to go there though. As for the chunks I've found around 26 chunks in the DLC so no worries about materials.

Decided to upload all NG++ boss fights to YT. Here is the playlist. I really should stop with this uploading already.

All bosses on NG++

Good. I don't feel like fighting him in a very long time.
the 4 places you get the armor pieces are
in the hallway with the cells right after ludwig, the bridge across the rooftops right after 2nd lamp in the hamlet, under one of the houses in that same area, and then at a dead end in the cave area that leads to OoK.
If I remember correctly anyways

JimPanzer

fucked (3rd boss)
maria
on my fifth try. might be favorite soulsborne boss ever, the visuals, the music, no fuckin cheese, just pure technical execution. loved it.

please tell me I can get hrt weapon at some point.

KRaZyAmmo

gah I'm having the hardest time with
Kos
. and any time I DO get him in his 2nd phase I'm already low on vitals and bullets

Rozart

Does the guy in the underground cell
(who keeps mumbling to himself while bashing his own head against the wall) sound like Laurence
or are all these plipping plopping making me hear things too.

Also, is there something I could do with these plip-plop npcs btw? Particularly the one in the
pool of poisoned water
and
the one with the sunflower
? (If there is, just a lil hint/nudge in the right direction will do.)

You need to go there though. As for the chunks I've found around 26 chunks in the DLC so no worries about materials.

Decided to upload all NG++ boss fights to YT. Here is the playlist. I really should stop with this uploading already.

All bosses on NG++
Is it safe to assume that thing is a boss? I know earlier I went through a tunnel only to find a couple of guys manning a machine gun. When am I supposed to deal with that?

Does the guy in the underground cell
(who keeps mumbling to himself while bashing his own head against the wall) sound like Laurence or are all these plipping plopping making me hear things too.

Also, is there something I could do with these plip-plop npcs btw? Particularly the one in the pool of poisoned water and the one with the sunflower?

Is another Hunter a eastern hunter who joined the league but go mad after seeing the madness.

There are more NPC in that zone so far only Adeline have a sidequest with the brain fluids

Not sure but
You should kill him on his four spot invasions to obtain his set, otherwise just killing him inside the cell you will only get his weapon

Actually,
I killed him after I got the key, only killed the first invasion spot in Fishing Hamlet and outside the cell, his remaining items were lying around the hamlet, I assume where he would have spawned. So killing him before beating the invaders should not hate the armour, but does mean you miss out on the fights.

myco666

Is it safe to assume that thing is a boss? I know earlier I went through a tunnel only to find a couple of guys manning a machine gun. When am I supposed to deal with that?

Yes and no. That tunnel is the way foward but I would say that you should go check that cathedral before going foward.

It's actually a good level, I did it in NG starting from like, level 42. The big thing is having the damage to win, and farming the first hunters gives some amazing blood gems for the level I was at. Allowed me to take down all but the final boss and the optional boss (because I got to the weapon I wanted and stopped, I might have been able to take them on too). Got a ton of levels from going through and I'm now level 70.

Rozart

Is another Hunter a eastern hunter who joined the league but go mad after seeing the madness.

There are more NPC in that zone so far only Adeline have a sidequest with the brain fluids

Ah thanks! Yeap already did her lil sidequest.
She mentioned that she'll give me her Saints Blood if I ever ran out mine
but I didn't actually receive anything from her. I assume this is because I still have Adella's blood vial in my inventory?

Go_Ly_Dow

Felt very overwhelmed in my first playthrough of the Old Hunters.

Came in from NG+ and relied on two helpers to defeat the first boss, father gascgoine and then vicar emelia.

Then went straight into the old hunters and just about defeated 4-5 of the hunters and then got destroyed by the big guy who comes down the stairs through the doors.

Does the beckoning bell work in the DLC? Waited ages and no one showed up.

Ah thanks! Yeap already did her lil sidequest.
She mentioned that she'll give me her Saints Blood if I ever ran out mine
but I didn't actually receive anything from her. I assume this is because I still have Adella's blood vial in my inventory?

Probably, you can only carry one blood saint bottle at once.

Just a general question that applies to the game as a whole now that they've added Old Hunter summons to a bajillion areas, most notably the Chalice dungeons.

Any good method to farm Insight that GAF recommends? I am playing the game offline and haven't had much of a use for it in the past other than buying certain items and fulfilling certain Insight thresholds to see....certain things. I know the
gross mutant babies in the upper cathedral area
, but if there's a better way I'm all ears.

Omg, the whirlgig saw can stunlock the first boss in his second phase with the L2 hold attack LOL. Wasn't expecting that.

Feels nice to help others get past him :)

fucked (3rd boss)
maria
on my fifth try. might be favorite soulsborne boss ever, the visuals, the music, no fuckin cheese, just pure technical execution. loved it.

please tell me I can get hrt weapon at some point.

You can but you will suffer for it.

She's my favourite too, as soon as I saw her I wanted to start the game again to make a character of her.

It's actually a good level, I did it in NG starting from like, level 42. The big thing is having the damage to win, and farming the first hunters gives some amazing blood gems for the level I was at. Allowed me to take down all but the final boss and the optional boss (because I got to the weapon I wanted and stopped, I might have been able to take them on too). Got a ton of levels from going through and I'm now level 70.
Yeah I'm now 82 and it's still pretty manageable. I think most of my frustration came from the big dude with the axe. Now that I have a reliable way to deal with him I should ok until I meet something tougher. I guess half of my problem is that this stuff is new and I have to learn ways to deal with them, but that's essentially the Souls experience in a nut shell.

Just a general question that applies to the game as a whole now that they've added Old Hunter summons to a bajillion areas, most notably the Chalice dungeons.

Any good method to farm Insight that GAF recommends? I am playing the game offline and haven't had much of a use for it in the past other than buying certain items and fulfilling certain Insight thresholds to see....certain things. I know the
gross mutant babies in the upper cathedral area
, but if there's a better way I'm all ears.

Discovering new areas
Facing a boss for the first time
Doing Chalices, each floor gaings you insight
Doing Coop

I've had the DLC since day one and for the life of me I cannot beat fucking L
udwig

I happened to do a skill/bloodtinge build this save and I'm fucking paying for it dearly. I'm sure if I had my old LHB build I'd be obliterating him, but the Threaded Cane and the Chikage are not doing me any favors.

Plus, the NPCs I summon are spotty at best. They almost never dodge and rush in with almost no health. I've tried every NPC I can summon here.

Honestly the second half of the fight is easier than the first. I just can't do enough damage to get him to his second form. I don't have PS+ either or I would ask GAF for direct help. I'm getting really discouraged and it's been awhile since BB has done this to me.

Any advice? I've tried fire paper, distracting him so my partner can land hits, etc. I think I might have to just keep trying.

udwig

I happened to do a skill/bloodtinge build this save and I'm fucking paying for it dearly. I'm sure if I had my old LHB build I'd be obliterating him, but the Threaded Cane and the Chikage are not doing me any favors.

Plus, the NPCs I summon are spotty at best. They almost never dodge and rush in with almost no health. I've tried every NPC I can summon here.

Honestly the second half of the fight is easier than the first. I just can't do enough damage to get him to his second form. I don't have PS+ either or I would ask GAF for direct help. I'm getting really discouraged and it's been awhile since BB has done this to me.

Any advice? I've tried fire paper, distracting him so my partner can land hits, etc. I think I might have to just keep trying.
I could NOT beat him with LHB, after what felt like 50 tries at him (ng+) I switched to Burial Blade, found a good decent coop partner, and destroyed him.

udwig

Summon only one npc to help you, if you summon two and you are low in stats you are gonna suffer really bad, and yes fire paper do wonders against him

mellow

anyone found a good blood echo farming area?
I'm using the research hall, clearing out all of those slug patient monstrosities on the ground floor
, I think it's like 110K every 2 minutes or something.

hEJ3OBg.gif

I have passed my literal baptism by fire, now to never ever fight that boss
(laurence)
again in my life.

Guess I just have to tie up some loose ends and my dlc journey is over, might give my thoughts on it later.

Rozart

I don't have PS+ either or I would ask GAF for direct help. I'm getting really discouraged and it's been awhile since BB has done this to me.

O man. That sounds rough.

There's a two day free trial on PSN that you can sign up for if you're really stuck and would like to summon help. A friend of mine signed up for it when he got the dlc.

Edzi

Alright, I'm convinced that the first boss (
Ludwig
) is just straight up cheap on NG+++. Forget the giant health pool, it's the fact that around 3 of his attacks are just straight up one hit kills on my lvl 183 hunter. I've been stuck on him for 3 days now, and I can only get him to his second form about 10% of the time.

I could NOT beat him with LHB, after what felt like 50 tries at him (ng+) I switched to Burial Blade, found a good decent coop partner, and destroyed him.

I'm actually only on NG, so I don't have the Burial Blade :( Otherwise I'd be using it happily.

Summon only one npc to help you, if you summon two and you are low in stats you are gonna suffer really bad, and yes fire paper do wonders against him

I actually didn't know I could summon more than one haha. Why is it a bad idea to summon more than one?

Discovering new areas
Facing a boss for the first time
Doing Chalices, each floor gaings you insight
Doing Coop
So there's a hard cap to insight on each playthrough if you're playing offline? I do know that those actions gain you insight. What I'm looking for (if possible) is a way to farm it without resorting to co-op.

But if that's the only way....may have to bite the bullet.

Top Bottom