• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

So there's a hard cap to insight on each playthrough if you're playing offline? I do know that those actions gain you insight. What I'm looking for (if possible) is a way to farm it without resorting to co-op.

But if that's the only way....may have to bite the bullet.

Can't you just keep making new chalice dungeons?

I'm actually only on NG, so I don't have the Burial Blade :( Otherwise I'd be using it happily.

I actually didn't know I could summon more than one haha. Why is it a bad idea to summon more than one?
It's actually possible to get in NG, but you still have to reach the end of the game. Really though, it was about finding the weapon with the best moveset for me, the Burial Blade actually did less damage that LHB.

Also damn, first boss STILL fucks me up even after beating the DLC and leveling up quite a bit more lol.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Man, wtf @ the
shark guys
in the well.

Decided to use the
shaman bone
method, but only have three. First two didn't work for some reason. Is there anywhere to buy these things? Didn't see them in either shop...

Jafku

Man, wtf @ the
shark guys
in the well.

Decided to use the
shaman bone
method, but only have three. First two didn't work for some reason. Is there anywhere to buy these things? Didn't see them in either shop...

They are at the insight shop

Hanmik

Man, wtf @ the
shark guys
in the well.

Decided to use the
shaman bone

Insight vendor in the dream has them.

Derpot

Jeez, I try to help people against some DLC bosses and they kick my ass, like damn.
Lady Maria
is the only one that I can beat in coop without too much trouble.

Man, wtf @ the
shark guys
in the well.

Decided to use the
shaman bone

I tried that, and just as I hit the dude with the
shaman bone
I died. I then got to watch them turn on each other as the screen faded to black.

Fuck those guys.

Arjen

Man, wtf @ the
shark guys
in the well.

Decided to use the
shaman bone

Insight shop sells them after you beat pthumeru depth 2 I think.

Could I get maybe a non super biased (hard I know) opinion about the DLC? I enjoyed the vanilla game quite a bit for my initial three playthroughs, but I didn't really feel any need to replay it since. Mostly because of the "samey" factor that happened even through my first playthrough. The Chalice Dungeons were a waste of time to me too. Are the environments and enemies varied all that much in this, or is it pretty much just more of the same, but with the amount of weapons that should have been in the vanilla game by default?
I can't say too much about the weapons, I just stuck with the Saw Cleaver throughout, had a little play with whirlgig and half-heartedly upgraded a few others, but I think the new weapons are fun and varied - I want to do playthroughs with some of them, it's just unfortunate that any runs would really have to be in NG+ since you get the weapons in the DLC (unless you got to it as early as possible and could get the weapons at a low level or whatever).

I think the DLC is totally worth it. In terms of environments I think you get the worst out of the way first because you start off in a (kind of) very familiar location, but it gets more varied and different from there on out. This is a lot like DS1 DLC to me - you start off in the Royal Woods and it looks just like Darkroot Garden, but by the time you beat Artorias you get in to the nice new stuff. It's difficult too. Considering you can access it pretty early, I consider it post-game level difficulty.

The bosses are a mixed bag imo - varying from recycled ideas/designs to inspired and hair-tuggingly difficult to they don't even tickle you. The environments after the first boss imo are some of the best in the overall game. They are familiar Souls themes but done really well and fit perfectly in to the themes of the main game and lore.

It's actually possible to get in NG, but you still have to reach the end of the game. Really though, it was about finding the weapon with the best moveset for me, the Burial Blade actually did less damage that LHB.

Also damn, first boss STILL fucks me up even after beating the DLC and leveling up quite a bit more lol.

Yeah I gotcha. But I don't wanna beat Gherman yet cuz I'm gonna do the multiple save file trick for the trophies.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
After the
Ludwig
boss there is guy in a cell talking to himself (first cell on the left after going up the stairs).

You get the key to the cell in
research hall patient room 3
, and to get the clothes just kill the guy in that cell (he serves no purpose apart from this apparently).

Cheers!

Yeah I could do that. Seems inefficient but if that's what it takes. The goal was to farm insight in order to get more Chunks and also to check out the cool NPC summons that weren't there pre-1.07 patch. Guess it may end up being more of a chore than it's worth.

You could always stack eye runes and farm from the babies in Upper Cathedral Ward. I always have decent luck that way.

Yeah I could do that. Seems inefficient but if that's what it takes. The goal was to farm insight in order to get more Chunks and also to check out the cool NPC summons that weren't there pre-1.07 patch. Guess it may end up being more of a chore than it's worth.

Unfortunately farming in this game is a real chore especially for chunks. They really need to lower the price on those things.

SpokkX

So... Think i am on NG+ (it is the third run right)?

Level 165 with threaded cane 370 damage.. Is it worth trying or better to restart?

Edzi

*sigh* I think I'm just gonna cave and use an NPC hunter for the first boss. It just doesn't feel fair anymore, with all the one hit kills.

Are all the DLC bosses like this, or is the first just an exception?

Arjen

*sigh* I think I'm just gonna cave and use an NPC hunter for the first boss. It just doesn't feel fair anymore, with all the one hit kills.

2 other bosses who are just as hard or maybe even harder.

The last phase of
Lady Maria
is destroying me! Any advice?

Try and keep her close to a wall, makes it harder for her to dodge. Stay close, her ranged moves will murder you. She can be parried in all phases, make her suffer. She's also very easy to interrupt while attacking. Combine that with keeping her by the wall and she's manageable. The only time you want to be far from her is when she does her explosion.

Good luck!

Pretty much everything hits extremely hard, even some "regular" enemies lol. On NG+ anyways, have yet to play on NG but I hear it's MUCH less brutal.

Airgetlam

Ok so now that everyone's gotten some time with the game what's your favorite new weapon? I'm currently liking the Holy Moonlight Sword and Rakuyo and im trying to get into using Simons Bowblade but I think my bloodtinge is too low for the arrows to do damage. Also are the beams from HMS only affected by the Arcane stat?

Ok so now that everyone's gotten some time with the game what's your favorite new weapon? I'm currently liking the Holy Moonlight Sword and Rakuyo and im trying to get into using Simons Bowblade but I think my bloodtinge is too low for the arrows to do damage. Also are the beams from HMS only affected by the Arcane stat?

I really wish the DLC had included a soul vessel type item, I'd love to try these different weapons but they're just not as effective as the ones I'm already using based on my stats.

silva1991

My favorite STR weapon is easily the pizza cutter.

my favorite skill weapon is rakuyo and simon's bowblade

I'll try the moonlight greatsword tomorrow after I beat
Ludwig
with my arcane character.

I wonder if the DLC bosses are balanced more towards u using the summons/coop instead of trying to solo it. NG is doable solo but some of them just ramp up like crazy over NG+...

Arjen

The pizza cutter, that L2 is insane. I just did Ebrietas and it did 4k damage in one stamina bar. Never got him down so fast.

Hypron

The last phase of
Lady Maria
is destroying me! Any advice?

I found it pretty easy to just dodge an attack and wail on her using the untransformed mode of Ludwig's Holy Blade or the Kirkhammer. She'll just keep on getting interrupted (even her heavy moves with super armour get interrupted in 2 hits). I managed to do several combos that used my entire stamina bar each time during the fight.

Bebpo

Banned
Really liked the hunter battle after
Ludwig
with 2 hunters (1 mage, 1 ludwig sword fighter). And by saying I liked the battle I mean after you kill the annoying mage one and are fighting 1 on 1 with the ludwig sword hunter. Dude was dodging left and right, had to get attacks in when possible and not leave myself open with strikes, played like a fighting game, like the best Ninja Gaiden fights. Really enjoyable.

pixxxelz

Keep your distance and parry.
This doesn't work on her last phase though those explosive blood attacks have a crazy long range.
Try and keep her close to a wall, makes it harder for her to dodge. Stay close, her ranged moves will murder you. She can be parried in all phases, make her suffer. She's also very easy to interrupt while attacking. Combine that with keeping her by the wall and she's manageable. The only time you want to be far from her is when she does her explosion.

Good luck!

Yeah staying close seems to work the best, If you dodge forward the fire won't hit you, also for some reason I have a hard time parrying her after the second stage so I just dodge instead, I almost got her the last time but I'm out of vials and bullets so gotta go get some echoes for now.

Top Bottom