• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Where is the LORE THREAD!? I need to let my crazy speculation out.

Yeah, I'm interested in seeing people's take on the DLC lore revelations.

Got close enough to realize that the orange thing is the Flaming Cleric Beast from the trailer. Made damn sure I grinded out enough enemies to make sure I could level up. Didn't want to waste my blood echoes. Also got the Boom Hammer. Sadly I'm not a strength build. Yeah I could use it, but it's not for a skill/arcane build.

This is the biggest problem I have with Bloodborne, if you play anything other than a strength build your best/coolest weapons are only available towards the end of the game while strength gets their weapons laughably early. Meh.

mstevens

About to start the DLC... are any of the trophies missable? I want to make sure I don't kill any npcs that give me a weapon or something.

deoee

If you wanna do more damage in 2 hand forma and with the R2s then yes.

I can not even use the weapon right now ^^
Would it be worth to spend points with this stats to be able to use it or would the weapon suck because of scaling etc.?

That was my question :3

deoee

Oh god, I haven't played this game since I platinumed it in like March. Where'd all my skill go how do I dodge what is life oh fuck

Was the same for me (but no platin) have "fun" in the first few hours learning the game again :D

And I didn't get attacked by that flaming cleric beast lounging in that chair. What the hell do I do with that
eye pendant
?

You just have to read the description... You will get there eventually.

zma1013

I'm available to help people do bosses if they want. Can't do the final one though, not there yet. I'm pretty good about staying alive. Usually it's the host that dies whenever I'm summoned. Or heck even if you just want help clearing an area.

I'm lvl 150 in ng++ if that matters.

JimmyJones

Banned
Has anyone been watching Darksydephil's playthrough of the DLC? He died like 58 times to the first boss and has ragequit. Props to him for uploading all the videos though.

Despera

Banned
And I didn't get attacked by that flaming cleric beast lounging in that chair. What the hell do I do with that
eye pendant
?
It gives you access to an elevator later (you can't miss it). Make sure you come back to the "flaming cleric beast" once you get a certain head item ;)

Good lord please tell me I can either run passed all these bloodlickers or that they're weaker than the Cainhurst ones. WHEN THE FUCK DID THOSE THINGS SHOOT BLOOD AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

By shear luck I got L
aurence
down to about 10% HP on my second try - but what are you supposed to in the second phase of the fight?

I spent the entire time either staggered, flopping down on the ground or running away because I needed to heal from flopping on the ground. I just didn't 'get it' - it seemed like I couldn't be near him, he constantly moved and constantly staggered/floored you. Scratching my head....

Good lord please tell me I can either run passed all these bloodlickers or that they're weaker than the Cainhurst ones.
They're definately weaker and really passive too, their aggro range is really small.

Was the same for me (but no platin) have "fun" in the first few hours learning the game again :D

My save was at the very beginning of a NG+ so I think I'm relearning by playing the game to get to the skull for the DLC thank god. But still. I'm getting fucked and I think I'm way overleveled.

Try and keep her close to a wall, makes it harder for her to dodge. Stay close, her ranged moves will murder you. She can be parried in all phases, make her suffer. She's also very easy to interrupt while attacking. Combine that with keeping her by the wall and she's manageable. The only time you want to be far from her is when she does her explosion.

Good luck!

The funny thing is, I fight her completely differently.

I always stay far away and just walk toward her until she attacks and then just instantly shoot her in the face the second she moves for a Visceral Attack. Works 99% of the time. Don't really have trouble with this boss because of that, very susceptible to being parried like Gwyn in Dark Souls.

zma1013

I always stay far away and just walk toward her until she attacks and then just instantly shoot her in the face the second she moves for a Visceral Attack. Works 99% of the time. Don't really have trouble with this boss because of that, very susceptible to being parried like Gwyn in Dark Souls.

That works great until the second form, then being far away is bad, at least it was for me. Had to get in close and just spam attack a lot.

Soriku

By shear luck I got L
aurence
down to about 10% HP on my second try - but what are you supposed to in the second phase of the fight?

I spent the entire time either staggered, flopping down on the ground or running away because I needed to heal from flopping on the ground. I just didn't 'get it' - it seemed like I couldn't be near him, he constantly moved and constantly staggered/floored you. Scratching my head....

They're definately weaker and really passive too, their aggro range is really small.

Keep dodging and look for any opening you can. Easier said than done, I know, when he can create lava pools all around him. If you have the time to get a charge attack in do that. Otherwise you just have to get lucky and hope he pauses long enough for you to rush in and get an attack. Use Old Hunter Bone if you can.

Finally done with my AC:S playthrough (pretty good AC btw) so I decided to play a little Old Hunters and damn this DLC is the GOAT. The atmosphere alone is so captivating that you never want to quite the game. Some of those environments are criminally awesome. Seriously, how the hell am I suppose to play other action games when BB is spoiling me like this?

Played it until after L
udwig the holy blade
. Actually managed to beat that in my third try, which was a lot easier than my first assumption after meeting it for the first time. It was really saddening tho, I actually
lied to him that hunters have become what he wanted just because I couldn't bring myself to tell him the truth after seeing him in that state.

Went a little further and fought and killed those
two hunters
at my first try which was another great fight and stopped after taking
the elevator up
and taking a little peak at the next environment which seemed to even be darker and more atmospheric than the last one. (And I have no idea how they are doing this. Each time I see a new part of BB I think "that's it, no way they can top that" and then Bam! Here comes the next awesome location!)

Can't wait to play more of Old Hunters.

Curufinwe

Got the first boss to half health but then my NPC died and I had no hope. I'm level 120 on NG+ so I just went and unlocked the Lecture building grinding spot since the enemies in the Nightmare give a shitty amount of blood echoes.

By shear luck I got L
aurence

i stuck around to his right side (the small arm) it was just about the only way I could stay alive when he went to pound town crawling around

Zemm

hqdefault.jpg

Has science gone too far?

My biggest issue with
Laurence
is that the guy never allows you to jump the distance between him and his last AOE attacks. His recovery speed and huge area attacks just made the whole thing feel luck based to me. I had fun beating every other boss except him. He just made me feel bitter lol

Despera

Banned
By shear luck I got L
aurence

Laurence's 2nd phase
attacks aren't that hard to dodge. Here's a video of me being extra careful during that part of the fight.

A couple of thoughts.

The
snail people
seems to me like some unmistakable Junji Ito influence.

Also, the atmosphere of the
Fishing Hamlet
area greatly reminds me of Lovecraft's story The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

mellow

By shear luck I got L
aurence

I can't find a single opening either. Definitely feels like the cheapest boss in the series history right now. I can get him to his 2nd phase routinely but after that I'm just out of ideas.

MilkBeard

When
Laurence
goes crawl/pound crazy, instead of dodging back, dodge to the side in a circle around him and he won't get to you. It will actually create an opening as well.

Soriku

My biggest issue with
Laurence
is that the guy never allows you to jump the distance between him and his last AOE attacks. His recovery speed and huge area attacks just made the whole thing feel luck based to me. I had fun beating every other boss except him. He just made me feel bitter lol

Exactly. A lot of the time your dodging is just not good enough. Especially if you're sandwiched between him and a wall.

The final boss doesn't let up either. At least walls aren't a problem though.

Haha I tried it that way and she basically turned into Nightcrawler and wrecked me lol. Only way I could parry in Phase 3 was being up in her face so she did her (MUCH) less damaging moves.

I barely raise VIT though, so I really couldn't afford any hits. Going to start a new character with a more focused build now I know what the various weapons play like.

EDIT: Trying to make the doll (as she's the best reference I can find for Maria) appears to be impossible (at least according to Google).

Top Bottom