• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

bryt

Wow, got home from work today and just beat
Laurence
in 3 tries after struggling for 4 hours yesterday. Guess I just needed a break. That phase 2 is really easy if you just take your time and wait for him to do unsafe moves.

Robot Pants

Wow, got home from work today and just beat
Laurence
in 3 tries after struggling for 4 hours yesterday. Guess I just needed a break. That phase 2 is really easy if you just take your time and wait for him to do unsafe moves.
What are the unsafe moves?

bryt

What are the unsafe moves?

Just backpedal around the whole arena in a large circle during his phase 2 and when he does his move where he crawls towards you while hitting the ground that's your chance to get in some damage. He either does it 3 times or 7 times. After the last time he hits the ground dodge forward and hit him once, then dodge away from him. If you're too late to do this he'll usually do a large swipe and that can be dodged forward as well and you can hit him 1-2 times. When he spews lava I just ignored him and stayed far back since I felt it was too dangerous to go in.

I'm uploading a video in 10 minutes if that was unclear.

EDIT: Here's the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEct_Fpzvbc

I can help if u want. In ng++ too.

Sure! I'd totally appreciate it.

I have it but I never get an opportunity to use it as they literally do not stop doing that move lol. And for some reason FROM decided what that move really needed was the ability to change direction so it's nigh unavoidable.

Henrietta is garbage for that fight. If you're in the League summon Valtr, that guy is a supersoldier.

Make sure your LHB is maxed and fully gemmed out for damage. Also there's another npc that you can summon who is a thousand times more useful than Henriett. He can take some damage at least, and let you sneak in some recovery time to gather your senses. In any case, starting this expansion in NG+ and beyond is a stern lesson in getting your ass kicked.

Where can I find this Valtr NPC? Also, thanks for the help.

Kudo

What a great feeling, all bosses down solo.
Had some really great 0 Vials left moments, heart was beating like a drum. No other game gives feels like these.
Really great DLC overall, every fight is memorable and can't believe how good the OST is. Game of the year, if there ever was any doubt.

Lingitiz

What a great feeling, all bosses down solo.
Had some really great 0 Vials left moments, heart was beating like a drum. No other game gives feels like these.
Really great DLC overall, every fight is memorable and can't believe how good the OST is. Game of the year, if there ever was any doubt.

The DLC provides some much needed challenge to the game. Easy to forget how tough the game can be since a lot of the second half of the main game is not that difficult.

Ceravic

Just finished an all bosses, DLC NG+ run right after doing an all bosses, DLC, all chalices NG run. I don't want to start a new run but I don't want to quit playing. I think the old blood has control of me.

zma1013

Just finished an all bosses, DLC NG+ run right after doing an all bosses, DLC, all chalices NG run. I don't want to start a new run but I don't want to quit playing. I think the old blood has control of me.

I'm going to do the same, minus the chalice dungeons. Once was enough for those.

Ceravic

I'm going to do the same, minus the chalice dungeons. Once was enough for those.

Yeah, I wasn't going to do them again but I finished my initial all bosses NG run on Saturday last week and had some time to kill before the DLC came out, so I figured what the hell. I wasn't sure if the DLC was going to have chalice content achievements, and figured might as well get it to where I can buy supplies from the shop instead of farming them just in case. Fuck the defiled chalice. I can't believe I actually did that a second time.

Ceravic

I'm currently working my way through NG+. What is the recommended level to run the DLC? Right now I'm at 102.

Laurence gave me a fuck ton of trouble, and Ludwig and the Orphan of Kos gave me a decent amount of trouble at 150+. Living Failures were a little annoying and Maria went down in one try.

Roussow

Alright, ended up getting up to the final boss of vanilla Bloodborne in preparation for The Old Hunters, took me to around level 70 -- I jumped into TOH content pre-first boss to take a look around, ended up looting those 3 new weapons before seeing that boss and bailing until I was prepared. Whirligig Saw seems like the best of the 3 so far, seems like a solid subsitute for Ludwigs greatsword. The other two weapons seemed like variants of the Tonitrus and the Saw Cleaver. Man, I forgot how quickly you can just breeze through Bloodborne when you know what to do. Had to do an hour or so grinding pre-Byrgenwerth, just to get a decent collection of vials, but other than that it was smooth sailing.

Now. Back to
Ludwig
, you beastly fucker.

Robot Pants

Just backpedal around the whole arena in a large circle during his phase 2 and when he does his move where he crawls towards you while hitting the ground that's your chance to get in some damage. He either does it 3 times or 7 times. After the last time he hits the ground dodge forward and hit him once, then dodge away from him. If you're too late to do this he'll usually do a large swipe and that can be dodged forward as well and you can hit him 1-2 times. When he spews lava I just ignored him and stayed far back since I felt it was too dangerous to go in.

I'm uploading a video in 10 minutes if that was unclear.

EDIT: Here's the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEct_Fpzvbc

Thanks Ill check it out :) Gotta beat this guy solo since I cant get any summons

dmr87

Just beat L
aurenc
e.

Holy fuck the patience in phase 2, fight lasted over 12 minutes.

What a game, and DLC. Tomorrow I need to check what I missed.

spliced

And just like that it's all over. Really happy I was able to pick up all the trophies completely blind. I actually had 2 left when I found the
Balcony Key
and thought oh I guess I'll get a weapon and maybe fight a boss or do whatever it is I need to do out the
balcony
, then I go through it and get neither trophy and I'm stumped. Then I check around each lamp, nothing. I check
Byrgenwerth because that one creature(that I couldn't kill for some reason) keeps saying it over and over
, but nothing there either. Then I remember the
flaming cleric beast room
which seemed suspicious and bingo. Then just as I'm about to shut the game off I remember there was a gun I didn't buy and boom final trophy. I though some of the choices I made in the game might prevent me from getting all the trophies but I guess not, either that or I made the right choices. I still got some questions but I think I'll play through again before I dig around too much for the answers.

Overall the DLC was quite good, Pretty close to the DS2 DLC but not quite as good level design. I did like the
cells after the first boss
, it kinda gave me modeern King's field vibes.

Kudo

The DLC provides some much needed challenge to the game. Easy to forget how tough the game can be since a lot of the second half of the main game is not that difficult.

Agreed.
It's a true test of skill and patience, I love that they ramped up the difficulty for this.

Got all trophies in DLC. 10/10 DLC, no doubt From show their best when making DLC. I need to take a breath before starting STR/BL char for Bloodletter.

Wagram

I can't praise FROM enough for the music in the final phases of both
Laurence
and
Ludwig
. It feels like a struggle of epic proportions for both boss fights.

jg4xchamp

I am getting my ass thoroughly handed to me in
The research hall
on NG+, part of it is because I leveled my guy up to 50 in Arcane with a Ludwig Holy Blade (regular so the one with the waning gem at the end), the other part is just how hard these fuckers can hit and how little damage I put out since I didn't go gem hunting since I found those chalice dungeons criminally boring.

Every now and then I feel happy when I get to summon someone (I'm at like 90 insight), and then the fucker dies in the same room, a room that I think is easy as shit. What the fuck?

mellow

Just beat L
aurenc
e.

Holy fuck the patience in phase 2, fight lasted over 12 minutes.

I was whining about it being the cheapest boss in fromsoft history..but after beating it realize in typical soulsborne fashion that I was using the wrong tactics

I think literally whittling him down 1 hit at a time is the only viable tactic unless you have OP arcane attacks though, kinda kept throwing me off because phase 1 was all about aggression for me (with valtr tanking his attention) and then you have to just slow down and attack once every 30 seconds or something.

overall I'd rank the boss fights in the DLC as in terms of enjoyment/wow factor

OoK - that fight is insane - possibly the most aggressive boss in soulsborne?
Ludwig
Maria
Laurence
Living Failures

Dahbomb

Got to the 2nd boss and beat it first try, really easy boss fight.

It was the Living Failures.

Taking a break for tonight.

Kudo

This seriously reminds me of when I played Demon's Souls in 2009. I'm in NG+ after a long hiatus and don't feel like playing through everything again.

It definitely put me on my knees once again. After Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1&2 then Bloodborne there were only couple of bosses that managed to do that, but this DLC.. really nailed it.
It was a struggle, but a fine one. A hunter is a hunter, even in a dream.

mulac

I am getting my ass thoroughly handed to me in
The research hall
on NG+, part of it is because I leveled my guy up to 50 in Arcane with a Ludwig Holy Blade (regular so the one with the waning gem at the end), the other part is just how hard these fuckers can hit and how little damage I put out since I didn't go gem hunting since I found those chalice dungeons criminally boring.

Every now and then I feel happy when I get to summon someone (I'm at like 90 insight), and then the fucker dies in the same room, a room that I think is easy as shit. What the fuck?

Why does arcane matter? I'm in similar shape - playing TOH on first runthrough of NG+ (which is up to Forbidden Woods in the vanilla game) - and been steadily increasing my Arcane to 40...currently sitting at 18.

Does levelling Arcane make TOH harder?!? Damn!

Amirnol

If I killed
Adeline
after giving her two fluids, and did not receive a third from her, am I screwed for this quest?

Wagram

If I killed
Adeline
after giving her two fluids, and did not receive a third from her, am I screwed for this quest?

Did you kill her before she
morphed into the head by itself
? If you did then I think you did screw yourself.

klee123

If I killed
Adeline

After giving her two fluids, you need to give her time to become a meat bag first and then you can attack her for the third brain fluid.

are chunks easy to come by? I don't want to burn all i have upgrading the threaded cane just to dump it for one of the DLC weapons, but the flip side is this DLC is hard as balls and I need an upgraded weapon i think

jg4xchamp

Why does arcane matter? I'm in similar shape - playing TOH on first runthrough of NG+ (which is up to Forbidden Woods in the vanilla game) - and been steadily increasing my Arcane to 40...currently sitting at 18.

Does levelling Arcane make TOH harder?!? Damn!
From what I'm reading in this thread getting gems, high quality gems matter, and I didn't go get high quality gems. I got a fire sword that does +297ish I think, I think my Bolt will only go to 180. Don't get me wrong, part of it is totally me not being good enough to beat this beyond through sheer force of will and attrition (slowly but surely level up enough things to get through), but I also feel like my guy simply can't hit things hard enough. I got summoned to someone else's world, and enemies that take like 5 or 6 hits from me, were going down in 2, when i wasn't using a two handed version of my sword. I wanted to be like why can't my playthrough be like this? lol

Soriku

Oh fuck just beat the last boss! I took a a gamble at the end because I only had 1 vial left. At this point he only had a few more hits to go. I had less than half health and decided to use the technique where you exchange health for 5 bullets to use the Old Hunter Bone. This brought me down to 1 HP, then I used a vial. I think I got another hit or two in, but then he quickly brought me down again. I remembered I had Iosefka's blood vial and decided to use that, bringing me up to near full health. Took another swipe, then risked using a charge attack. I hit him and he needed one more hit to die. I swung and missed...fuck. I took a couple steps and managed to nick him, and that was that. Really intense fight.

I definitely recommend using the Old Hunter Bone if you can during his second phase. Especially when he has 25% or less health. Makes avoiding his attacks notably easier.

Also it's pretty nice that in his first phase I was able to stun him with two hits from the Ludwig 2 handed.

dmr87

I was whining about it being the cheapest boss in fromsoft history..but after beating it realize in typical soulsborne fashion that I was using the wrong tactics

I think literally whittling him down 1 hit at a time is the only viable tactic unless you have OP arcane attacks though, kinda kept throwing me off because phase 1 was all about aggression for me (with valtr tanking his attention) and then you have to just slow down and attack once every 30 seconds or something.

overall I'd rank the boss fights in the DLC as in terms of enjoyment/wow factor

OoK - that fight is insane - possibly the most aggressive boss in soulsborne?
Ludwig
Maria
Laurence
Living Failures

OoK was my favorite boss, just the mood in general and the way he moves, loved it.
Ludwig
and OoK basically took the same amount of time to beat (2-3 hours+/4-500 vials) but I felt more frustrated and hopeless against
Ludwig
, had more control against OoK. And yes against
Laurence
I literally did one attack at a time in phase 2, but just getting there was kind of a chore due to shit damage from me. I experimented with some ranged combat in phase 2 but abandoned that pretty fast.

Wagram

OoK - that fight is insane - possibly the most aggressive boss in soulsborne

I would bestow that honor to the Fume Knight in Crown of the Old Iron King. Good lord that pattern and the constant rushing of the player. Champions Fume Knight is a fucking dodge simulator. He will teach you to dodge.

Amirnol

Did you kill her before she
morphed into the head by itself
? If you did then I think you did screw yourself.
Ahh she was not yet a
giant head
, damn. Is there is a way to revert to an earlier save? Really wanted to try that item...

spliced

Oh man
Laurence
was a headache once he went
molten
. I just couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do, everywhere I went I ended up getting burned. When I finally beat him I was down to 30%-40% health with no vials and I needed about 6 more shots on him but I didn't think I could do it so I was shooting him hoping for a miracle. Finally I just charged in and got my hits and but I don't know how, I thought he should have attacked but he gave me the small window I needed to finish him off.

Top Bottom