• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

What's consensus on DLC so far? Cant wait to play it...

Only abou 2/3 of the way through I'm guessing but it already has cooler weapons than the main game, two bosses that I think may be be better than anything in the main game, best boss music, and two really good areas. Just everything about it is superlative. Oh, and it's really fucking hard.

anyone have any thoughts on the rifle spear? better skill weapon than threaded cane or no?

I don't think it's better than the cane, but it's a really good compliment to it.

Can someone recommend me the strongest weapon for a strength/skill/arcane build? Currently using a +10 Ludwig but am getting murdered

Where are you in the DLC? If you're looking for pure strength/damage output the moonlight blade might be better, but I found that quicker weapons like the saw blade were more effective sometimes, and the whirligig saw has really good damage, a beastly move set, and both it's transforms are really useful.

Neoweee

What's consensus on DLC so far? Cant wait to play it...

Very good DLC.

1) It adds a ton of new weapons that fill in gaps in BB's build and weapon variety quite nicely, and puts most of them in the first part before the first boss so you can access them very early in the game.

2) At least one of the boss fights is regarded as one of the best in the franchise, with some of the best music to boot. Two of the other boss fights are also fantastic.

3) The art design is perhaps even better than the core of BB.

I tried this out on my level 151 NG++ character. I make it a good little distance and then get my ass kicked. I don't know if I should make a new character or just level up in the original game and push through further in this run.

Really liked what I played though.

SOLDIER

Is there a recommended way to experience the new areas? I finished the original game, even got Platinum, but I never ran a NG+ or anything.

I'm wondering if it's better to start fresh or take my NG+ run. Either way, how long does it take to reach the new area from the beginning of the game?

Kalentan

Is there anything to do with the guy in the basement?

The one whose hitting his head against the wall? Anything to be done? I opened the door.

Neoweee

Is there a recommended way to experience the new areas? I finished the original game, even got Platinum, but I never ran a NG+ or anything.

I'm wondering if it's better to start fresh or take my NG+ run. Either way, how long does it take to reach the new area from the beginning of the game?

To get there from a new start? A little over an hour. However, you'll be able to get in and loot like 6 or so weapons without fighting the first boss, but will have a ton of difficulty at such a low level with un-upgraded weapons, so you'll have to clear a few more zones of the main game to actually be able to handle the DLC bosses.

The alternative is to summon help for the first DLC boss so you can start farming the second section, which gives fantastic Echoes.

mrmyhthef

To get to the DLC you need to at least defeat Vicar Amelia, but you'll probably be much too underleveled at that point to make smooth progress on a new game. If you want to play the DLC as soon as possible I advise just going through on NG+.

Bebpo

Banned
Keep dying on living failures, just seems like a lot of HP and hard to keep track of everyone so end up getting hit in the back for 50% and dying unexpectedly. Any strategy to do high fast damage? I'm using saw cleaver +10 & fire paper.

Lvl.137
VIT 50
END 40
STR 51
SKL 25

Any recommended level for the last boss in the DLC? I'm getting rocked at 127.

NG? NG+? NG++?

Keep dying on living failures, just seems like a lot of HP and hard to keep track of everyone so end up getting hit in the back for 50% and dying unexpectedly. Any strategy to do high fast damage? I'm using saw cleaver +10 & fire paper.

Lvl.137
VIT 50
END 40
STR 51
SKL 25

Be mobile and try to stay on top of things. Once there are a few up one or two of them will start doing ranged attacks, pull the rest and make a beeline towards them and do some damage.

laxu

I hate how in NG+ anything that isn't a +9 or +10 weapon is pretty much useless. I'm stuck at the first DLC boss. I can get him down to half health but his second mode always destroys me.

I'm now grinding the Witches' Abode -> Hemwick Lane route to get levels. I'm at about 150 now with 35 vitality, 40 stamina (don't have the +20% rune tho), 50 strength, 43 skill, 14 bloodtinge and 20 arcane build and I pretty much have to use my +10 Ludwig Blade for everything and still even the basic enemies like the crazy women and dogs can take several hits to take down.

I really want to get a bunch of blood stone chunks to get my Burial Blade to +9. So far I'm not really impressed with the DLC weapons I've found, the Whirligig Saw looks fun though.

Kalentan

God damn got
Maria
down to a silver of health twice!!!! Damn!

Make that a third! SO CLOSE EVERY TIME!

I don't know what it is...
But fighting bosses that are 'your' size are always the most intense imho.

Bebpo

Banned
So what are you supposed to level after you hit the hardcap for END, and soft cap for STR/VIT/SKL if you're a STR build? Do you just keep pumping +1 into STR or is it with investing in Arcane/Bloodtinge at that point?

Im at cathedral ward staircase in dlc if anyone wants to help me with you know who. No password, I have been waiting forever. My helpers keep dying and I have to wait for 20 mins to find new ones. 2nd phase is pretty crazy.

konjak

I really, really hope I'm missing something or do they seriously not
let you get back up to the rafters of the research hall if you fall down after raising it? I mean, the place is designed for falling being the hazard? This is my second time, and I know there's a ladder, but I absolutely cannot find a way back up there
. If this isn't recoverable you miss out on a ton of things. I'm missing something right?

EDIT: After a damn age I found out
the second elevator lever magically works now without going to the top of the shaft

Where are you in the DLC? If you're looking for pure strength/damage output the moonlight blade might be better, but I found that quicker weapons like the saw blade were more effective sometimes, and the whirligig saw has really good damage, a beastly move set, and both it's transforms are really useful.

I'm at the second lantern so I haven't made a lot of progress. I've noticed the Ludwig is a bit too slow for how fast these guys are so I'll try the blade. Currently waiting before I upgrade the pizza cutter further

Anbec7

Just explored a little bit... I got some weapons and cool drops but... any places where I could grind in the main game? fighting against the hunters is kinda hard, specially against the hammer hunter he is just berserk

So what are you supposed to level after you hit the hardcap for END, and soft cap for STR/VIT/SKL if you're a STR build? Do you just keep pumping +1 into STR or is it with investing in Arcane/Bloodtinge at that point?

If you're talking about 50 strength might as well go for arcane or bloodtinge. Arcane only really opens up the hunter tools and the MLGS. Bloodtinge lets you use the Bloodletter and the better guns. You could also use the bow blade in 2H mode.

laxu

Just explored a little bit... I got some weapons and cool drops but... any places where I could grind in the main game? fighting against the hunters is kinda hard, specially against the hammer hunter he is just berserk

Best grind locations are Witches' Abode -> Hemwick Lane and later on in the game Mergo's Loft Middle. If running the Witches route you can easily get enough echoes to go up a level in about two runs which only take a few minutes. The executioners on this route are the main echoes grab.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok
Lady Maria
fight was awesome, finally something perfect for my quick short saw cleaver build...then 2nd form kind of crazy but doable, then when down to like 15% life started doing some new moves and grabbed me and did a combo that was like instant kill wtf ><

Bebpo

Banned
Alright, yeah that was a great fight. Probably one of the best in the whole game. Boss didn't do any of the weird final attacks next time around strangely.

Kalentan

Ok
Lady Maria
fight was awesome, finally something perfect for my quick short saw cleaver build...then 2nd form kind of crazy but doable, then when down to like 15% life started doing some new moves and grabbed me and did a combo that was like instant kill wtf ><

I got her down to a sliver of health 3 times and then that phase happens and she goes berserk! Finally bested her on my fourth try. Doesn't help that I use all slow weapons and she's fast as fuck.

Afrocious

Gonna backtrack and explore a bit. Just killed
Living Failures
. I'm upset I haven't found any cool Skill based weapons. Most of what I have cater to Strength builds, which would go well with other characters I have.

Apparently I missed the Whirligig Saw. I think I know where it is.

When do I get cool katanas and stuff?

TitusTroy

so I killed
Orphan Kos
at the same time as he killed me but it gave me credit for the kill...with the other Souls games if you die at the same time they make you repeat the boss fight...I'm glad I don't have to repeat that fight over

Essay

Well, I managed to get through my first look at the third boss with only 10 vials in stock. Used every one by the end, and finished with a Chikage roll -> L1 that would have gotten me killed if I had delayed another few frames.
Considering she fights with a katana hybrid, it felt like an ending straight out of a chanbara flick.
Mmmm, yup, that's epic enough to finally sleep on.

Beat the dlc tonight, it was absolutely amazing! I wasn't sure how it would measure up to the core game (which I loved) but it definitely has surpassed it in my mind. The new weapons are great, the boss fights are crazy and it's super fun. Can't wait to play more on another character :D

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I beat the DLC twice now but stuck on last boss on this Arcane build because I don't want to upgrade my weapon. This is taking forever ;_;

Phantoms pls respond.

Kalentan

Those big guys
In the fish town. Fuck those guys. The one with the anchor is just stupid. Worse that he spins around to hit you.

Top Bottom