• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Aceofspades

Banned
I'm 150 at NG++, I got my ass handed to me several times, DLC is seriously challenging. While looking for the second lamp, I decided to run past the enemy's located on one of the caves before first boss, I was greeted by a large number of mobs, beasts, hunter and a
MotherF*cking Blood starved BEAST
My jaw hit the floor and then decided not to go there again for the foreseeable future lol

So before the DLC, I had a good run with Dark Souls and I thought to myself you know, Dark Souls is more of a challenge than Bloodborne.

But this DLC came out and it's giving me more of a challenge than the base game ever did. Am I just rusty??

super quick edit: wow and i died while typing this because i had my chikage in it's bloody form

Are blood chunks hard to come by, or should I feel safe leveling up a couple weapons to +9?

DLC has lots of blood chunks. I upgraded 2 DLC weapons to +9 thanks to them (i only found them in main games + DLC, no chalice required).
There is only 1 Blood Rock in DLC (and 1 in main game) so be careful

a harpy

So before the DLC, I had a good run with Dark Souls and I thought to myself you know, Dark Souls is more of a challenge than Bloodborne.

But this DLC came out and it's giving me more of a challenge than the base game ever did. Am I just rusty??

I think Dark Souls seems more difficult because there are more non-optimal ways of playing available. In BB, pretty much all gear has a build it can call home. BB never really seems to pull any punches, either, so it forces you to get better much sooner. While Dark Souls is definitely, in a sense, more difficult, it's also possible to beat it without ever getting very good at it. If you come across an enemy you haven't mastered in BB, it can relentlessly whoop your ass until you do, which is probably what the DLC is doing to you.

Bebpo

Banned
Those big guys
In the fish town. Fuck those guys. The one with the anchor is just stupid. Worse that he spins around to hit you.

Yeah, I don't know how to fight these guys without using a ton of vials. First enemy in the dlc giving me trouble.

Floody

All weapons found, all areas explored, now just have L
aurence
to deal with and I'm a 100% complete. Been an excellent expansion, fixing the few issues I had with Bloodborne (weapon and gear variety, and really hard non optional Bosses) and definitely sealed Bloodborne as my GOTY.

Zocano

I'm fairly disappointed with the final boss of the DLC :\ Especially when it follows a boss that very nearly rivals Gehrman.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok in Fishman Village after the second lamp and down into the first gate shortcut down the ladder there's caves that lead to two dead ends. One has something that shoots purple skulls at you and for some reason when I run up and kill it, I instantly 100% HP die. What am I missing?

Also there's a glowing purple hunter with a spike club, if I beat him will he not revive?

Also kind of confused where to go since going through the shortcut past the second lamp leads only to the bottom caves with dead ends...

Zocano

Why disappointed?

While I (somewhat?) understand the context for the boss, I just feel it was mechanically a bit too rote, lacking in any "oomph" or flash or spectacle, and just overall fell really flat for me. Leading up to the boss, I miscounted how many bosses were left (partly due to how much of a non-boss Living Failures is) and when I got to the boss, I didn't feel like I reached a climactic conclusion, I was very set on thinking that the entire time I was leading up to a fight with Kos/Kosm. That, obviously, didn't happen, and I realized my error before I beat the boss so I kinda got all the wind sucked out of my sails. The boss was "okay" in terms of how I judge Souls bosses and while that's "okay" in a vaccuum, as a final fight in a DLC, it's just disappointing.

Non-spoiler TL;DR: Mechanically rote, no spectacle, overall flat.

Floody

Ok in Fishman Village after the second lamp and down into the first gate shortcut down the ladder there's caves that lead to two dead ends. One has something that shoots purple skulls at you and for some reason when I run up and kill it, I instantly 100% HP die. What am I missing?

Also there's a glowing purple hunter with a spike club, if I beat him will he not revive?

Also kind of confused where to go since going through the shortcut past the second lamp leads only to the bottom caves with dead ends...

He's hitting you with a fresh dose of Purple Skulls, wait until he shoots them dodge through and 1 hit should kill him.

He will.

There's another path behind you, after you kill Purple Skull guy.

Bebpo

Banned
Thanks. Ok
Orphan of Kos
seems pretty tough. Hits hard, multi-hitting combos, has a lot of HP...and I'm all out of vials. Time to go farm for a bit.

After that is all that's left in the DLC the optional boss?

Also where is the Blood Rock?

Soriku

While I (somewhat?) understand the context for the boss, I just feel it was mechanically a bit too rote, lacking in any "oomph" or flash or spectacle, and just overall fell really flat for me. Leading up to the boss, I miscounted how many bosses were left (partly due to how much of a non-boss Living Failures is) and when I got to the boss, I didn't feel like I reached a climactic conclusion, I was very set on thinking that the entire time I was leading up to a fight with Kos/Kosm. That, obviously, didn't happen, and I realized my error before I beat the boss so I kinda got all the wind sucked out of my sails. The boss was "okay" in terms of how I judge Souls bosses and while that's "okay" in a vaccuum, as a final fight in a DLC, it's just disappointing.

Non-spoiler TL;DR: Mechanically rote, no spectacle, overall flat.

W...what? The last boss is one of the craziest fights in the series with a large variety of aggressive fast paced attacks. I don't see how it's lacking in flash nor how it's rote in any way.

Bebpo

Banned
Instead of heading left as if you were heading to Orphan of Kos after the elevator shortcut, head right down the tunnel and prepare for singing.

Oh whoops, yeah I went that way and saw the dude and turned around and ran. Lol, forgot about that. Cool.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, now that I got the blood rock, what's the best weapon for taking out
Orphan of Kos & Laurance
in new game+?

Afrocious

There's a Blades of Mercy 2.0 coming up

You'll have to go to the depths of hell to get it though.

Cool beans. I think boss spoiler
Maria
uses them.

Also, I still think
Ludwig
is the hardest so far. I haven't beaten
Maria
yet but she's basically a harder Gherman and I just need to figure out her moveset.

Yay, I guess that's the DLC done, got all the trophies at least. Combined with the old BB plat maybe I really should give the other games in the ''series'' a shot. DS2 is on PSN sale right now and I already got DS1 dirt cheap on steam sale. I did give DeS a spin when it was on PS+ but it didn't really hook me like Bloodborne.

Interestingly enough the first boss in the DLC was the hardest one for me. I expected the optional boss to be but it was quite easy in the end.

Zocano

W...what? The last boss is one of the craziest fights in the series with a large variety of aggressive fast paced attacks. I don't see how it's lacking in flash nor how it's rote in any way.

Having a moveset composed mostly of be-really-slowthenreallyreallyfastspamalltheattacks ironically ends up feeling boring because all it does it promote staying back and waiting it out instead of feeling reactive like the hunter fights do. The first half of the fight is just really boring because of that. Even though you can parry scum the hunter fights as much as you can Orphan of Kos, the hunters still feel like they are constantly forcing the fight to you. And because Orphan of Kos has *so* much health and so few movesets (at least in the first half), it just ends up feeling stale. So I just parry scummed the shit out of him because it's just not fun.

The second phase has both a camera problem if you constantly try to stay locked on and the same problem with most spammy bosses where it's just more annoying to fight them than anything else.

The fight lacks any intense instant punch because aside from the "weird and gross" factor of the first few seconds of the opening cutscene, the fight is just a skinny pale lanky fuck with little cool about him. The environment of the fight doesn't feel as climactic as you'd want it. If they wanted you to fight on top of Kos' dead corpse, than make Kos the actual battlefield instead of a pile of goop that you can't tell is anything until after the fight is over. Make the rain more oppressive or noticeacle. The fight is just a wet fart to an otherwise good buildup of a DLC.
edit: Also the music was boring.

Nothing will top Gehrman and I want him to be the standard for closing bosses.

Edzi

I never thought I'd love the pizza cutter so much. Holding down L2 just turns it into an insanely satisfying chainsaw.

Filth

I cannot beat ludwig at all even with help. I'm level 85 using Ludwig holy blade +10. I have beast cutter and whirling saw but I'm holding off upgrading hose to see if moon blade will be better. Some one please halppppp me :(

Soriku

Having a moveset composed mostly of be-really-slowthenreallyreallyfastspamalltheattacks ironically ends up feeling boring because all it does it promote staying back and waiting it out instead of feeling reactive like the hunter fights do. The first half of the fight is just really boring because of that. Even though you can parry scum the hunter fights as much as you can Orphan of Kos, the hunters still feel like they are constantly forcing the fight to you. And because Orphan of Kos has *so* much health and so few movesets (at least in the first half), it just ends up feeling stale. So I just parry scummed the shit out of him because it's just not fun.

The second phase has both a camera problem if you constantly try to stay locked on and the same problem with most spammy bosses where it's just more annoying to fight them than anything else.

The fight lacks any intense instant punch because aside from the "weird and gross" factor of the first few seconds of the opening cutscene, the fight is just a skinny pale lanky fuck with little cool about him. The environment of the fight doesn't feel as climactic as you'd want it. If they wanted you to fight on top of Kos' dead corpse, than make Kos the actual battlefield instead of a pile of goop that you can't tell is anything until after the fight is over. Make the rain more oppressive or noticeacle. The fight is just a wet fart to an otherwise good buildup of a DLC.

First paragraph: You can say the same thing about the Maria fight which apparently you liked. Except I'd argue that OoK is more intense because of his jump attacks and being able to close the gap between him and you easier than Maria. Maria gives you more breathing room IMO.

Second paragraph: I didn't encounter any notable camera problems that you couldn't say for 99% of the other bosses. The camera might move a lot because he's a really fast boss, but that's about it. At least here you're not likely to be sandwiched between the boss and the wall, which causes a lot of camera problems.

Third paragraph: The Great Ones weren't designed to be that large (look at Moon Presence), Kos is no different. You weren't going to fight the boss on top of Kos. I think you built this up too much on your head. The environment is fine...most boss arenas don't have really interesting environments you fight in. I think the mild rain and the sun (?) in the background is a fine backdrop. The only backdrop comparable to Gehrman is Living Failures.

Naite

Took me most of the night but I finally beat NG+++ Laurence. I couldn't do it alone, and had to get a co-op partner though, which took forever to find. But the one I did find was really good and did a lot of the work during the 2nd phase.

Now just gotta deal with OoK, then I'm going to look for some abyssal gems.

myco666

I think you just made fight boring for yourself. I pretty much hug him all the times during the fight and you really have to be moving if you do that. I thought Orphan was pretty much just Gehrman turned into fish monster and made it better without having super armor. As for the location I loved it. It looks gorgeus and as I have watched many videos of the fight everyone stays at the shore when you could be fighting in the lake/sea which looks way better. The rain could be more oppressive I agree but I still think the fight is up there with Gehrman, FG and Maria. Nothing will top Micholash though.

I liked the music actually. It wasn't the best boss theme but it is still really good like all other themes in the game.

So I think everyone here will agree that these bosses are brutal, and far more challenging then vanilla bloodborne. But in terms of difficulty, how do you think they compare to Dark Souls II DLC bosses such as
Lud and Zallen
the
Fume Knight
and
Sinh
to name a few.
I remember trying forever on
Lud and Zallen
, not only were they brutal on their own, but the run back to them was probably the hardest rush back to the boss of all the games.

Hypron

super quick edit: wow and i died while typing this because i had my chikage in it's bloody form

After this DLC there's absolutely 0 question in my mind that Bloodborne's the hardest Souls-like game overall. Never have I had to farm levels and get new equipment for a lvl 120 character simply to feel like I stood a decent chance of winning.

cheesekao

I cannot beat ludwig at all even with help. I'm level 85 using Ludwig holy blade +10. I have beast cutter and whirling saw but I'm holding off upgrading hose to see if moon blade will be better. Some one please halppppp me :(
Set up a password. I'll help.

tariniel

The first boss of the DLC is seriously just not fun at all. I've done about 10 attempts and just want to turn it off and go play something else.

Edit: All I had to do was bitch about it. Down on 11th.

Top Bottom