• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

konjak

Hah, you can be summoned to the other side of the fog gate on
Living Failures
. I attack the boss as long as I could and once the beckoner entered there was no music. A great sin.

I'm an Xbox One user. Have been since day one.

Today I bought a PS4. The PS4 being the $100 off wasn't the deciding factor... the deciding factor was that Bloodborne was $20 off. Really weird how $20 made more of a difference to me than $100. It was like I was thinking, 'Fate has told me what I need do.'

... So... looking forward to finally playing Bloodborne after having perfected the other Dark Souls games. Ladies and gents, your kind wishes please, haha.

Impulsor

Today I bought a PS4. The PS4 being the $100 off wasn't the deciding factor... the deciding factor was that Bloodborne was $20 off. Really weird how $20 made more of a difference to me than $100. It was like I was thinking, 'Fate has told me what I need do.'

... So... looking forward to finally playing Bloodborne after having perfected the other Dark Souls games. Ladies and gents, your kind wishes please, haha.

You're in for a treat, this game is incredible. The best "souls" game in my honest opinion.

Soriku

The first boss of the DLC is seriously just not fun at all. I've done about 10 attempts and just want to turn it off and go play something else.

You will have a great time with the rest of the DLC lol. Take a break and come back later or summon help.

Should I kill the
guy banging his head in the cell
. I can't talk to him

Killing him is the only known way to get his armor set so go ahead.

So I think everyone here will agree that these bosses are brutal, and far more challenging then vanilla bloodborne. But in terms of difficulty, how do you think they compare to Dark Souls II DLC bosses such as
Lud and Zallen
the
Fume Knight
and
Sinh
to name a few.
I remember trying forever on
Lud and Zallen
, not only were they brutal on their own, but the run back to them was probably the hardest rush back to the boss of all the games.

Lud and Zallen are annoying but manageable with the two NPCs you can summon. They help keep the aggro off. I never dared fighting them on my own though (also the long trek towards the fight would be more annoying without them). Your character in Dark Souls 2 just isn't mobile enough like in Bloodborne to be able to handle those two tigers at once.

I tried to solo Fume Knight but he was too hard. Your shield can only do so much and the dodging sucks compared to Bloodborne. Didn't have much patience and I summoned one or two other people to help me out. I think I still nearly died.

Sinh I did solo. He's tough but thankfully the bonfire is right outside his arena. It just took learning his moves and applying some patience, but I would say he's easier than
Ludwig
and
Laurence
. Maybe about the same as OoK, but I had an easier time with OoK than some people.

takriel

so is it worth it to come to the DLC early with a new character and farm all the goodies? I noticed there's some nice bloodgems in there!

Welcome to the party.

jonjonaug

so I killed
Orphan Kos
at the same time as he killed me but it gave me credit for the kill...with the other Souls games if you die at the same time they make you repeat the boss fight...I'm glad I don't have to repeat that fight over

With other Souls games it really depends on the boss. As long as the game registers them as "killed" before you die (death animation completes and souls/blood delivered), it counts as a win. Some bosses have longer death animations than others. I wouldn't be surprised if it's coded the same way in Bloodborne, but in Bloodborne all of the death animations are really quick so it never/almost never happens. In Dark Souls 1 it's possible even for a summon to kill a boss after the host dies, and it'll stay dead in the host's world. Not sure about Dark Souls 2.

Mandelbo

So I think everyone here will agree that these bosses are brutal, and far more challenging then vanilla bloodborne. But in terms of difficulty, how do you think they compare to Dark Souls II DLC bosses such as
Lud and Zallen
the
Fume Knight
and
Sinh
to name a few.
I remember trying forever on
Lud and Zallen
, not only were they brutal on their own, but the run back to them was probably the hardest rush back to the boss of all the games.

Well, I never bothered with L
ud and Zallen
, but the only reason I found F
ume Knight
hard to begin with is because I was fighting him on NG+ with half the idols still active - I don't find him difficult at all on NG with no idols. Never really had any problems with S
inh
either, certainly nothing comparable to any of the bosses in this DLC or AotA.

jg4xchamp

Question: My build uses a flame/bolt Ludwig blade and currently I'm at

Vit: 50
End: 40
Str: 26
Skill: I think like 13?
Arcane: 52
Btinge: 9

What should bother leveling up at this point in terms of efficiency? Seems like I hit the caps for my main stats (vit, end, arc)

Derpot

carda114

Valtr's summon sign won't appear anymore in the Hunter's Nightmare (the one before the first boss). Anybody know why and if there's any way for it to show back up?

Bebpo

Banned
Beat the final main story boss of the DLC, took a bunch of tries but learned how to dodge most of his first form's attacks and when to get pokes and combos in. Toughest move was when he holds his weapon up with two hands and crashes it down because it tracks extremely harsh on you, has huge range so it's tough to dodge away fast enough before it comes down and it does like 75% damage and knocks you to the ground. The rest of his first form moves were pretty dodge able and he was a lot like
Maria
but faster and hits harder. In fact since he's so berserking and has a lot of medium range moves, even healing mid-battle is tough because you have to know when it's safe to down a vial. Was very challenging and good.

Now the second part of the battle, the camera had serious issues and I mainly got lucky and punished after the jumping move for a bunch of hits and then ran, dodged healed until the next jump lunge. Was kind of shitty fight but lucked out and won.

Now just gotta figure out how to take out
Laurence
and I guess I'm done until BB2. Overall a good expansion. Feels about 1/4th length of the main game, has a great boss
Maria
and a half
Kos first part
and a bunch of very challenging endgame fights. The first area is pretty boring, but the second area was really well designed and up there with some of the best ones in the main game imo. The third area had great atmosphere and good challenge and solid level design as well.
never was able to beat the bell summoned hunter with the purple haze around him. Do you get anything cool for beating him?

Mutombo

My recommendation is to spend sometime doing co-op in NG+, to level up 10-20 levels, get VIT to 40-50 and which ever attack stat matters to your character to 40 as well.

Did you do any chalices? You can get echoes in basically unlimited supply eventually in them.

Yeah I'll try to find a way to level. Chalices are boring IMO, but if I find a nice place to co-op. What's a good place to go-op, without having to help at Ludwig?

I also need help with Amygdala on NG+. I think I want to go and use the claws as a weapon in the dlc, but I need to kill amygdala for chalice materials. Haven't seen her in NG.

Ferr986

Welcome! And may the good blood guide you :)

So this is my first time really doing nothing but helping people over and over, and it made me notice that your vials and bullets don't refill after dying (or host dies) when summoned...wtf.

Ok so I heard this DLC is particularly difficult? I'm not the best Souls player but I beat the game (I needed help with Martry Logarius and Gerhman).

Have i got any chance of completing the DLC?!

I'm in NG+ at the very start so will have to get up to Vicar Amelia before I even get there but I'm just worried I'll not even be able to get through the DLC. But I'm craving more Souls at the moment!

I'm Level 83 on NG+ at Central Yharnam I haven't beat a boss on my NG+ playthrough yet as when I completed it I just went into NG+ and then moved on to other games. I recall reading that you need to be at least level 100 on a NG+ playthrough? I might get close to that by the time I get past Vicar Amelia?

Tingle

So this is my first time really doing nothing but helping people over and over, and it made me notice that your vials and bullets don't refill after dying when summoned...wtf.

Yeah, that was one of the most baffling decisions. If I help someone with a boss, I need to waste time going back to the hunters dream, due to their also poor decision of not letting you rest at the lamp. I was hoping one of those would get fixed... but no luck.

People talking about multiplayer so much, I wonder if I have been missing out playing exclusively on Offline mode for both main game and the DLC.

Top Bottom