• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodrayne: Betrayal |OT| It Has Nothing To Do With the Original

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The Take Out Bandit said:
Not a copout at all.

I've been on this side of the fence with gaf in the past; see also: Raimi and Spider-Man 1, Street Fighter 4, etc.

No accusing people that don't agree with you of being "incapable of looking at a game objectively" is most certainly a copout

but I don't really want to have an argument over a game I only started playing yesterday. For all I know once I finish it I could think it's bad too.

If people want to play a demo and act like they know enough to judge a full game based on that, they're more than free to.

Right, and you can assign dash to a button in HCU as well as just double tap to accomplish it. I see no real point to introduce extra buttons for an input that can just as easily be executed. Unless a later game play mechanic prevents you from making use of double tap inputs.

Sorry. I misread your post. I thought you were complaining about doubletap being difficult, which as far as I was aware didn't exist.

Sectus

The Take Out Bandit said:
Right, and you can assign dash to a button in HCU as well as just double tap to accomplish it. I see no real point to introduce extra buttons for an input that can just as easily be executed. Unless a later game play mechanic prevents you from making use of double tap inputs.
Have you played the game? Considering how quickly you must do the dashes and how the high jump require you to dash first, I can imagine doubletapping would be impractical.

There are definitely flaws with the game (like how a few enemies can attack you off screen, and how the stomp attack is context sensitive), but overall I think they've done a great job with it. It feels very unique compared to others in the same genre. And I like that there's very few defensive options. Your best defense is killing/stunning enemies before they get to attack you in the first place.

MTMBStudios said:
That S-Rank video makes me want to get this game. Does it get as repetitive as Shank (really really repetitive encounters)?
I don't think the game is repetitive. More and more enemy types are introduced and you keep fighting them in different ways. The only really bad things I can say about the game is that it won't last you long if you don't enjoy playing for scores (a playthrough takes about 4-5 hours), and that the last bunch of levels can be frustrating at points (the game has some very very VERY evil platforming).

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The dash is alot like dashing in megaman x(5. The only one I played)

I don't remember if there was double tapping in that game though

I've just always preferred it being a button press. One press will always be more responsive than two no matter how fast you are

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Retro_ said:

The awesome things about Megaman X dashing, is that even when they started including a dash button, they still left in the doubletap.

It was especially nice when you could just you normal foward press into a dash by just pressing forward again. Have never liked a button for dashes... but I assume I'll adjust here.

Haven't been able to play the demo yet, but I like the way the combat sounds, from these impressions. Combat sounds like it's a matter of learning your techniques, and choosing the right one for each situation. The commitance to animations sounds kinda good too; tough I like being able to cancel things at any time, I can appreciate the idea of a "risk/reward" setup to using longer combos VS short ones. As long as the follow-through of this idea is well developed, then it sounds kinda cool and unique.

Really was expecting to save my point for Radiant Silvergun, but if this turns out as solid as it sounds, might just have to support the HD 2D game before the 3D remake! It IS great to see Wayforward making something for HD consoles, and I'd like them to stay and make more...

Skilletor

Retro_ said:
I don't get it.

Are you playing both sides of the argument just to be difficult?

Nope. Every situation is the same in this game. I maintain my stance that enemies are meat shields and don't need any unique way to kill them. I would like to be able to duck, but it's true that I don't need it. But, like I said, there are lots of attack sin this game that aren't strictly necessary. I think it's silly for a person to say that I don't need to be able to duck because I have a dash. Why do an air combo when one on the ground has the same effect?

Sectus said:
I don't think the game is repetitive. More and more enemy types are introduced and you keep fighting them in different ways. The only really bad things I can say about the game is that it won't last you long if you don't enjoy playing for scores (a playthrough takes about 4-5 hours), and that the last bunch of levels can be frustrating at points (the game has some very very VERY evil platforming).

I look forward to evil platforming.

Retro_ said:

I don't remember if there was double tapping in that game though

I've just always preferred it being a button press. One press will always be more responsive than two no matter how fast you are

I prefer to double tap because I tend to hold my controller with one hand and hit face buttons with multiple fingers. It's not really responsive if it's not comfortable for me to control.

Sectus

Skilletor said:
Nope. Every situation is the same in this game. I maintain my stance that enemies are meat shields and don't need any unique way to kill them. I would like to be able to duck, but it's true that I don't need it. But, like I said, there are lots of attack sin this game that aren't strictly necessary. I think it's silly for a person to say that I don't need to be able to duck because I have a dash. Why do an air combo when one on the ground has the same effect?
I think there's an argument for that because the game deliberately limits your defensive options. You've got lots of ways to kill enemies, but your only purely defensive move is the dash (and even that is tricky to time). If they were to add more ways of avoiding damage (especially a duck which avoids all high attacks), that would make the pace of the game much slower and you wouldn't have to rely on the evasive properties of your attacks as much.

Skilletor said:
Or it's shallow because it's shallow. Give me a reason to use all of these "options" instead of making every enemy the same with a different skin. So far every situation is the same. There's no enemy variety, very little platforming. The only challenge comes from the game throwing tons of enemies at you all at once.

She has a crouching attack but she can't without doing a move.

you would probably find Viewtiful Joe shallow too.

GvO71.jpg

Skilletor

quinntendopower said:
you would probably find Viewtiful Joe shallow too.

http://i.imgur.com/GvO71.jpg

Nawp, Viewtiful Joe is amazing and gives you reasons and incentive to do different things. Definitely can't kill every enemy the same way in VJ like you can in this game.

But hey, instead of formulating an argument or explaining why I'm wrong, go ahead and post pics instead.

I'd go so far as to say YOU'RE the dumbass for even mentioning this game in the same sentence as something as amazing as Viewtiful Joe.

legbone

schick85 said:
Everything is all good except for the Comic Sans font and the dialogue bubbles. Seriously wtf?

i agree totally. worst thing about the game in my opinion. i am constantly missing dialogue because i am fighting and missing the bubbles. oh well, i'm sure the story is nothing too hot.

Yuterald

You have to be kidding me if you believe this game is shallow. Try getting an S Rank in the first stage and all the mechanics will begin to shine. I'm only up to Stage 4 because I've been trying to S Rank stages as I go along and the game keeps introducing new elements and enemies. The game does have it's small problems. My biggest gripes are off screen enemy attacks and the stomp attack overriding slash attacks, but other than that WayForward did an amazing job with this. These guys truly are 2D craftsman.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
MTMBStudios said:
That S-Rank video makes me want to get this game. Does it get as repetitive as Shank (really really repetitive encounters)?

Only three stages in, but I've been kept entertained by the variety of moves and reasons to change up attacks with each play through of the level. There isn't that sense you could just do one or two moves and get by just fine like Shank, here you'll want to show off with the different attacks.

Sectus said:
I found a little easter egg in the final level: http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/untitled12.jpg

I wonder if there's more stuff like that hidden in the game.

Very different results that hug button.

It's beautiful, but does anyone else find it a little.. flat? Literally, I mean.

I have difficulty differentiating between background and foreground on this for some reason..

Tried this out tonight, not a big fan I am afraid. I thought it might be a nice mix between Castlevania and VJ but for me it really wasn't. Looks stunning but I thought the controls were weak and unresponsive, I don't think the stiff animations help, but I didn't think it was a nice game to play.

Is the full game so tight on bullets? FFS you have like 6 or something, I was hoping for some Dante juggling with those badboys.

MarshMellow96 said:
It's beautiful, but does anyone else find it a little.. flat? Literally, I mean.

I have difficulty differentiating between background and foreground on this for some reason..

I couldn't see the street lamp light shafts for shit, I didn't understand why I kept burning up! :)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Game is really simple, but really awesome. I don't know. I hated dishwasher samurai - way too much attack combinations and way tougher enemies. This is just mindless fun hack and slash.

The music is what reminds me most of Castlevania. Some of the Anime traces from the characters aswell. An actual Castlevania game made with these kind of sprites (which are not TRULY high res, as when the camera zooms in, you can see the blurryness. Bu they're high res enough) would be awesomeness.

I liked it so much that, when the Demo stops and asks you to pay for the game (just before the Crab Puncher boss), I unlocked it right away - which made me sad, because it doesn't save the Demo's progression, and made me start all over again. And I haven't bought a XBLA on release date for a while now.

Andrew.

Banned
I was super dissapointed when i saw that this was a sidescroller. i loved the first one....didnt play the second...but the first one blew my socks off...why couldnt they shine that gem up and toss it back on the psn or something? (ps2 version)

Yuterald

Aconn1283 said:
I was super dissapointed when i saw that this was a sidescroller. i loved the first one....didnt play the second...but the first one blew my socks off...why couldnt they shine that gem up and toss it back on the psn or something? (ps2 version)

Are you serious? The original Bloodrayne games were janky 3rd person action games. It's not like they were super offensive or anything, but they were certainly nothing special. Also, they are like the last two games I would ever imagine receiving an HD collection treatment. You've got to be kidding me!

WayForward should really be getting more praise here than they are. This is the kind of shit we don't get anymore on a retail level. This is the kind of stuff I would have flipped out over back in the PS2 day era. I'll take more stuff like this and Hard Corps, please.

Also, I don't understand those that are claiming the game is shallow and simple. There is a well thought out ranking/points system in this game and the levels are clearly designed around speed runs and score attacks. Stuff like Castle Crashers, Shank, etc. is shallow, this is not.

Frankfurt

Banned
Press buttons ---> enemy falls down.

Fucking Altered Beast had a better feel than this game. Characters seem to live in their own individual slideshow, completely unrelated to each other. People should be ashamed of trying to champion this game (the same people praising it are the same people that were creaming themselves when all we had was one screenshot and no information at all), as there are better games being sold for ONE DOLLAR on XBLA.

Last time I saw action this disconnected and lifeless was with Twin Blades.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Updated the OP with my thoroughly unscientific analysis of which version of the game is better.

I compared the Playstation 3 and 360 versions, as I'm one of those OCD people who has to have the best version of a game. In this case, the 360 version is better overall. The area where the PS3 version wins out is load times. It's one or two seconds faster than the 360 version. Of course, we're talking 2-3 seconds to load a level on the PS3 versus 4-5 on the 360, so it's really not a major point.

What is major (well, more major, at least) are the graphical differences. First of all, the color is a bit better on the Xbox 360. Blacks are inky and the constant splashes of red really stand out. The PS3 version looks somewhat dull by comparison, though the difference is subtle. What was particularly striking, however, was the difference in clarity. The PS3 version looks quite blurry in places whereas the entire vista is razor sharp on the 360. For one comparison, I looked at Rayne when she's sitting at a fountain after you continue. Stare at her cleavage. Go on - you know you want to. You'll notice that the PS3 version lacks definition while the 360 exhibits no such issue. Some art assets seem blurrier than others, but as a whole, the game simply looks worse. No matter how you slice it, the 360 version is the way to go.

LowParry

Played the demo and I had a lot of fun with it. I'd imagin later though the game you get added combos to use? More weapons to pick? I'd hate to play the game entirely like that.

I'll probably pick it up when there's a sale on it though.

ArjanN

Aconn1283 said:

You should get the PC version of the Bloodrayne 2.

Yuterald

Frankfurt said:

Fucking Altered Beast had a better feel than this game. Characters seem to live in their own individual slideshow, completely unrelated to each other. People should be ashamed of trying to champion this game (the same people praising it are the same people that were creaming themselves when all we had was one screenshot and no information at all), as there are better games being sold for ONE DOLLAR on XBLA.

Just start dropping names why don't you. You clearly have an issue with people like me. Did you even try to S Rank a stage yet? Is this your impression of the game after scraping by a few stages with F or C Ranks? WayForward has a really good track record and they are clearly 2D blacksmiths. On its surface level alone this game is more competent and enjoyable than the majority of PSN/XBLA action/platformers out there. They have their hearts in the right place too. I'm sure their budget wasn't the best and this title clearly feels like a labor of love. I think you are just playing devil's advocate here.

And seriously, there are better $1 XBLA arcade games? Really. Name one. This is such a ridiculous statement. I don't even think Sword & Hammer costs a $1!

Finaika

Yuterald said:
And seriously, there are better $1 XBLA arcade games? Really. Name one. This is such a ridiculous statement. I don't even think Sword & Hammer costs a $1!
Altered Beast?

Gaspode_T

drizzle said:
Game is really simple, but really awesome. I don't know. I hated dishwasher samurai - way too much attack combinations and way tougher enemies. This is just mindless fun hack and slash.

The music is what reminds me most of Castlevania. Some of the Anime traces from the characters aswell. An actual Castlevania game made with these kind of sprites (which are not TRULY high res, as when the camera zooms in, you can see the blurryness. Bu they're high res enough) would be awesomeness.

I liked it so much that, when the Demo stops and asks you to pay for the game (just before the Crab Puncher boss), I unlocked it right away - which made me sad, because it doesn't save the Demo's progression, and made me start all over again. And I haven't bought a XBLA on release date for a while now.

Even if you didn't like the first Dishwasher game you (and anyone else who likes BloodRayne) really needs to check out Vampire Smile! They fixed almost all of the issues people had with difficulty and it's simply more fun to play.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Gaspode_T said:
Even if you didn't like the first Dishwasher game you (and anyone else who likes BloodRayne) really needs to check out Vampire Smile! They fixed almost all of the issues people had with difficulty and it's simply more fun to play.
I actually played Vampire Smile demo and yes, it's much more interesting to play (at least for me).

I'm just waiting on a Deal on the first one so I can buy both (or a deal on both, maybe? :D)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
CcrooK said:
Played the demo and I had a lot of fun with it. I'd imagin later though the game you get added combos to use? More weapons to pick? I'd hate to play the game entirely like that.

I'll probably pick it up when there's a sale on it though.

I don't believe there are any weapon/combat upgrades, no. Just health upgrades and ammo capacity upgrades for the Magnum.

Daigoro

i played the demo and really liked the game. at 800 it would have been bought yesterday.

i still think i might pick it up this week. i thought the demo was great.

Frankfurt said:

your opinion is obviously more valid than the next guys. good call.

press button > enemy falls down. so i assume you were able to get an s-rank no problem on the first level huh? great use of hyperbole used to support your argument.

ONE DOLLAR!!!1

you're the one who should be ashamed. quit spewing bullshit.

Yuterald

My game keeps freezing on Stage 6 for some reason. I'm not sure if it's because I keep activating the 8 bit music code or not. I'm on the PS3 version by the way.

Sectus

S rank on mission 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QZgKLPVEno

Anyone have any tips for mission 4? I have a route which should give me S rank in theory, but I have to execute it perfectly, and then I'll only barely go above 100k. I wonder if there's any hidden treasures in the mission I'm not aware of. I know about the one at the top of the starting shaft (1500 points total) and the one behind the coffin at the end (2500 points).

Edit: Actually, I just got an S rank on it now, I'll upload video later. Thank god the health bonus is friendly enough to give me the max points even though I got hit several times. There's one long stretch at the end which is really unfair. I'm pretty sure the correct approach is to hop on the blood lanters while dashing until you get to the end, but as you fall down you have no idea if you'll get hit by something.

Sectus

Yikes, that's a nice run. I didn't know you could hit many of the treasures through the floor. I hadn't thought about using that air kick to position enemies either. I rarely do mid air moves at all.

I'm curious, do you play with the d-pad or analog stick?

Man, these S rank videos are really making me interested in the game. More so than anything else I've seen. If the gameplay can look that DMC-like something is obviously right with this one.

Top Bottom