• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloody Roar Extreme > Dead or Alive 3

I agree, BR PF/Extreme was the best of the series. I have 4, but it just doesn't feel as coherent or as tight as PF/Extreme.

SaitoH

MrAngryFace said:
Better AI, and you can turn into a wolf!

But wasn't that all you could do? I mean other than mash random buttons. At least in DOA when you mashed random buttons you get to see bouncing boobs.

=P

Some of the BR combos are pretty fun to master, plus they just go crazy over the top. The Beast Rush combos are just such a ludicrous trip, and it's fun to watch your friends shit their drawers the first time you do a 30+ hitter with Yugo -- they really do think the game is over at that point.

Ferrio

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
Some of the BR combos are pretty fun to master, plus they just go crazy over the top. The Beast Rush combos are just such a ludicrous trip, and it's fun to watch your friends shit their drawers the first time you do a 30+ hitter with Yugo -- they really do think the game is over at that point.

Uh oh, that's the same reasoning people give Killer Instinct.

I guess I'll have to vote for DOA.

Eighting (Raizing) is easily one of the most talented fighting game developers anywhere - Naruto 2 alone is proof.

Trouble is, Hudson/Konami have never given them more than 8-9 months to develop any of the BR titles. Given a thorough 18 month PD schedule, they'd work wonders.

BR4 was rushed to market - and it shows.

jarrod

Banned
Bloody Roar's a fun series, especially now that AM2 seems to have given up on Fighting Vipers. I've always preferred both series to DOA in terms of dumb VF clones.

jarrod

Banned
Why hello GameRankings...

Bloody Roar
-Bloody Roar (PlayStation) 79.0%
-Bloody Roar 2 (PlayStation) 78.6%
-Bloody Roar 3 (PlayStation 2) 68.7%
-Bloody Roar: Primal Fury (GameCube) 74.6%
-Bloody Roar Extreme (Xbox) 64.5%
-Bloody Roar 4 (PlayStation 2) 59.7%
Series Average: 70.9%

Dead or Alive
-Dead or Alive (Saturn) 83.6%
-Dead or Alive (PlayStation) 84.8%
-Dead or Alive 2 (Dreamcast) 89.9%
-Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore (PlayStation 2) 86.3%
-Dead or Alive 3 (Xbox) 85.5%
Series Average: 86%

....ouch! Then again...

Virtua Fighter
-Virtua Fighter (Saturn) 79.6%
-Virtua Fighter (PC) 74.7%
-Virtua Fighter 2 (Saturn) 89.5%
-Virtua Fighter 2 (PC) 75.5%
-Virtua Fighter Kids (Saturn) 74.1%
-Fighters Megamix (Saturn) 86.4%
-Virtua Fighter 3TB (Dreamcast) 79.0%
-Virtua Fighter 4 (PlayStation 2) 91.5%
-Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution (PlayStation 2) 92.7%
Series Average: 82.6%

Tekken
-Tekken (PlayStation) 71.7%
-Tekken 2 (PlayStation) 89.6%
-Tekken 3 (PlayStation) 95.2%
-Tekken Tag Tournament (PlayStation 2) 85.4%
-Tekken 4 (PlayStation 2) 81.2%
Series Average: 84.6%

Soul Edge
-Soul Blade (PlayStation) 91.4%
-Soul Calibur (Dreamcast) 96.9%
-Soul Calibur II (PlayStation 2) 91.9%
-Soul Calibur II (GameCube) 92.3%
-Soul Calibur II (Xbox) 91.6%
Series Average: 92.8%

aoi tsuki

Drinky Crow said:
Yeah, it's no cheesier than a Sega fanboy's precious Fighting Vipers, plus it looks a helluva lot better.
You have to admit though, Bloody Roar (aka "Beastorizer" in JP arcades IIRC) was very similar to Fighting Vipers. Both games had running attacks (running punch, jumpkick, slide), both had sidestepping which was still fairly new, and both had air recovery. i felt like BR was a rip of FV's concepts, but a better game overall.

Pity BR didn't have a fanservice character like Honey though...

Honey-02.jpg

i'd love for Sega to make another FV, with better character models and better controls.

Odysseus said:
Bloody Roar is the worst excuse for a fighting game I have ever played.

Well, other than Smash Brothers.
ever play Versus? Shaq Fu? Time Killers?
there are ALOT of worse fighting games than the C- Bloody Roar series...

etiolate

Banned
Bloody Roar 4 is bad. You can see how it really drops the average score in that gamerankings list. The Extreme/Primal Fury games though are fun and have a seesaw sort of balance. If you morph up a lot, it drains your energy and you can get your ass kicked from overusing it. Plus its got a mix of combos which include the basic "forward button button this button button" plus fireball motion combos. The half-cat girl is rocking fun.

belgurdo

Banned
About the only reason I kept PF for longer than a day (still didn't keep me from selling it after two months, though)

chara_jenny.gif

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
jarrod said:
Why hello GameRankings...

Bloody Roar
-Bloody Roar (PlayStation) 79.0%
-Bloody Roar 2 (PlayStation) 78.6%
-Bloody Roar 3 (PlayStation 2) 68.7%
-Bloody Roar: Primal Fury (GameCube) 74.6%
-Bloody Roar Extreme (Xbox) 64.5%
-Bloody Roar 4 (PlayStation 2) 59.7%
Series Average: 70.9%

Dead or Alive
-Dead or Alive (Saturn) 83.6%
-Dead or Alive (PlayStation) 84.8%
-Dead or Alive 2 (Dreamcast) 89.9%
-Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore (PlayStation 2) 86.3%
-Dead or Alive 3 (Xbox) 85.5%
Series Average: 86%

....ouch! Then again...

Virtua Fighter
-Virtua Fighter (Saturn) 79.6%
-Virtua Fighter (PC) 74.7%
-Virtua Fighter 2 (Saturn) 89.5%
-Virtua Fighter 2 (PC) 75.5%
-Virtua Fighter Kids (Saturn) 74.1%
-Fighters Megamix (Saturn) 86.4%
-Virtua Fighter 3TB (Dreamcast) 79.0%
-Virtua Fighter 4 (PlayStation 2) 91.5%
-Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution (PlayStation 2) 92.7%
Series Average: 82.6%

Tekken
-Tekken (PlayStation) 71.7%
-Tekken 2 (PlayStation) 89.6%
-Tekken 3 (PlayStation) 95.2%
-Tekken Tag Tournament (PlayStation 2) 85.4%
-Tekken 4 (PlayStation 2) 81.2%
Series Average: 84.6%

Soul Edge
-Soul Blade (PlayStation) 91.4%
-Soul Calibur (Dreamcast) 96.9%
-Soul Calibur II (PlayStation 2) 91.9%
-Soul Calibur II (GameCube) 92.3%
-Soul Calibur II (Xbox) 91.6%
Series Average: 92.8%

This must mean reviewers actually know what they are talking about (HAHAHAHA NO) and doa is a better series than VF!!!!11111

The Bloody Roars that I have played (PS2 - NGC)) had control setups made for pads, with seperate buttons for walking towards or away from the screen.

This means it can't fully be mapped to an arcade stick in a really effective matter.

This means that I hate the game.

The auto-block system was Newman's Own Weaksauce too.

Deg said:
Nearly everything is better than DOA3.

MK Deadly Alliance sure as hell is not.

They got a button, right, to switch stances. A button. A whole button just to change stances.

And when they do change stances, Scorpian pulls a longsword out of fucking nowhere, even though he has two ninja swords still strapped to his back. Yeah, that one's fucking gold.

Also: Gamepad setup. Can't make a really good arcade layout. It sucks.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
fbcamp said:
DOA is better than VF but not as good as the Soul series. VF is no fun what so ever.

Tell me how fun it is after you start playing someone who isnt a button masher. "Hey why the hell am i doing combos? i can just hit you a couple of times and then you counter me and do twice the damage! This is totally fun!"

sp0rsk said:
Tell me how fun it is after you start playing someone who isnt a button masher. "Hey why the hell am i doing combos? i can just hit you a couple of times and then you counter me and do twice the damage! This is totally fun!"
sounds like someone who doesn't know how to play if they think counters are that good...

mrmyth

ArcadeStickMonk said:
MK Deadly Alliance sure as hell is not.

They got a button, right, to switch stances. A button. A whole button just to change stances.

And when they do change stances, Scorpian pulls a longsword out of fucking nowhere, even though he has two ninja swords still strapped to his back. Yeah, that one's fucking gold.

Also: Gamepad setup. Can't make a really good arcade layout. It sucks.

A-fucking-men. Not to mention that the combos played like Mortal Kombat:Typing Test.

If it wasn't for the blind monk guy I'd have returned it inside a day. Even he couldn't keep my interest for more than a week.

Top Bottom