• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: ‘Wukong’ Game Debut Drives PlayStation 5 to Top of Alibaba Tmall

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
(Bloomberg) -- The release of China’s biggest PC game to date, Black Myth: Wukong, also sparked an unusual buying spree for Sony Group Corp.’s PlayStation 5.

The PS5 jumped to the top of Alibaba Group Holding Ltd.’s list for electronics game equipment in the week leading up to Wukong’s Aug. 20 release, doubling its sales from the same period a year earlier. Playable on the Sony console as well as on PC, Wukong was top of Alibaba’s Taobao hot search on launch day and enticed gamers to buy new hardware in a market where mobile gaming typically reigns supreme.

While small by the scale of Sony’s global business, the surge in China is a rare occasion of local consumers embracing the console segment of the gaming world. Sony and rival Nintendo Co. have tried for years to gain a stronger foothold in the world’s biggest games market.
Developed by Hangzhou-based studio Game Science, Wukong was an instant hit, with more than 2.2 million PC gamers playing it concurrently around the world. It has sustained that momentum with well over a million people logged in and experiencing the mythical adventures of the titular Monkey King on Wednesday. Its popularity on consoles has yet to be quantified, but the early indication from these bumper PS5 sales in China — where consumer spending has been stunted for months — suggests the frenzy around the game is widespread.

Tencent Holdings Ltd. has a 5% stake in creator Game Science, which was founded by former Tencent employees, and also distributes the game on its WeGame online platform.

gokurho

2DXMOd3.jpeg

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If Sony can crack the wider Chinese gaming market that would add tens of millions of consoles sold to the tally. China is a massive growth market. So is India for that matter.
Africa too.

That's why Sony has very smartly started the PlayStation China Hero Project, PlayStation India Hero Project, and PlayStation Africa Hero Project.

Instead of wasting money on buying useless publishers whose games PlayStation would get anyway and complaining that the console market isn't growing, they are rightly investing into expanding their markets and growing their business. I really like that strategy.

It also helps employ more developers and develop new games.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God

Fabieter

and he got wrong. The GPU to run is a 3060, which is $300, the other stuff is easily $300+ too

Expensive shit ever? No, but definitely not cheap(er)

Absolutely hes okay will tech stuff and his videos are generally well made but I also think that he's really unprofessional on alot of fronts.

He excused it on the next page that he means it's just a cheap pc not just that's it's better value to a ps5 which makes his first statement really stupid.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Absolutely hes okay will tech stuff and his videos are generally well made but I also think that he's really unprofessional on alot of fronts.
His videos on tech stuff are absolutely incredible detailed. I'm very fond with that. But yeah, the other stuff... oh boy
He excused it on the next page that he means it's just a cheap pc not just that's it's better value to a pc which makes his first statement really stupid.
that's one of the other stuff. I mean, he could just not write in the first place. I know he is a PC guy, but console market is a different thing

Fabieter

His videos on tech stuff are absolutely incredible detailed. I'm very fond with that. But yeah, the other stuff... oh boy

that's one of the other stuff. I mean, he could just not write in the first place. I know he is a PC guy, but console market is a different thing

I just thinks his wording is really weird for someone basically representing a company in a professional way.

Klayzer

Africa too.

That's why Sony has very smartly started the PlayStation China Hero Project, PlayStation India Hero Project, and PlayStation Africa Hero Project.

Instead of wasting money on buying useless publishers whose games PlayStation would get anyway and complaining that the console market isn't growing, they are rightly investing into expanding their markets and growing their business. I really like that strategy.

It also helps employ more developers and develop new games.
This is the way...to grow your business. Find new markets before the competition does.

Fabieter

He’s right though, the game scales down quite a bit. Ain’t expensive to get a good experience with the game.

The point is that whether it's expensive or not is irrelevant. He isn't even qualified to judge that, simply because some people in China chose consoles over building a PC. It's unprofessional, and while it might be encouraged at DF to have this elitist attitude, it's still unprofessional.

A friend of mine works at Mercedes and gets to drive all kinds of cars at no extra cost, similar to Alex with PC hardware. Yet, he would never have the audacity to judge people who can’t afford that experience, especially not on behalf of his company. He would be fired if he did.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
If Sony can crack the wider Chinese gaming market that would add tens of millions of consoles sold to the tally. China is a massive growth market. So is India for that matter.
Which is why they really should avoid/stop undermining their own console.

tommib

2DXMOd3.jpeg

That’s the second post on that thread. He can’t help it. He just can’t accept that people don’t want to deal with Windows and overpriced components to play games. What an idiot.

And he can’t accept any kind of success from PS5, of course. Man is a sad joke. Hot. But a sad joke.

Last edited:

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
2DXMOd3.jpeg

He's always so bitter.
And he got dragged for it.

Now trying to say he never said it was cheaper than a PS5. I mean...why would be answer a post that's talking about PS5 sales increase by saying you can get PS5 performance-like on PC cheap as well if not to say that it's as cheap or cheaper?

It's so weird how so many people seem so bitter about consoles in general. I'll never get that. Just play on your PC. No one cares.

Looking at Steam and where people play and their graphic cards etc you can see the majority of PC gamers aren't using the latest tech anyway, so what's the point in being so against console hardware?

Fabieter

It's not weird if it's true.

Cheap compared to what? A 4090 rig? And you can say true things which are still completely unprofessional.

And he got dragged for it.

Now trying to say he never said it was cheaper than a PS5. I mean...why would be answer a post that's talking about PS5 sales increase by saying you can get PS5 performance-like on PC cheap as well if not to say that it's as cheap or cheaper?

It's so weird how so many people seem so bitter about consoles in general. I'll never get that. Just play on your PC. No one cares.

Looking at Steam and where people play and their graphic cards etc you can see the majority of PC gamers aren't using the latest tech anyway, so what's the point in being so against console hardware?

Yes he's just excusing shit and his fanboys are even defending him like what the...

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
Play Station's success in an era of industry-wide uncertainly, and changes in development, distribution, and economics is making some people question their own reality in the most amusing way possible.
You can see that through Xbox's CEOs and users as well: "MS is only doing what Sony will be doing later. This isn't just our issue"

I would really like a decent Sony showcase this year to celebrate Playstation's 30 years by having all of their studios showing something and Sony actually opening the floodgates for once and show what they have been working on, alongside announcing a PS5 price decrease (even if it's to go back to the previous price in Europe) and a PS5 Pro.

PS5 is doing all this by barely showing up to anything. Just by having...games. (whether if it's 1st party of not it's irrelevant. Most of the market IS releasing on PS5. that's what matters)

I would really like a decent Sony showcase this year to celebrate Playstation's 30 years by having all of their studios showing something and Sony actually opening the floodgates for once and show what they have been working on, alongside announcing a PS5 price decrease (even if it's to go back to the previous price in Europe) and a PS5 Pro.
That would be the 'cherry on top' in the story of Xbox's downfall: how aggressive, arrogant, and violent Sony will be in the next 18 months.

What you are stating would be the sensible and expected things Sony has to do as a matter of celebration for the brand, current pipeline, and market pressure (regardless of the Xbox situation). But it's going to be interesting to see how they conduct themselves, especially since Phil has been very salty and frustrated, always making jabs at PlayStation.

Zathalus

The point is that whether it's expensive or not is irrelevant. He isn't even qualified to judge that, simply because some people in China chose consoles over building a PC. It's unprofessional, and while it might be encouraged at DF to have this elitist attitude, it's still unprofessional.

A friend of mine works at Mercedes and gets to drive all kinds of cars at no extra cost, similar to Alex with PC hardware. Yet, he would never have the audacity to judge people who can’t afford that experience, especially not on behalf of his company. He would be fired if he did.
I think you’re heavily reaching here, somebody stated that you really need a powerful PC to run the game and he simply clarified that you don’t as a cheap PC can run it fine, which is factually true. If you can afford a PS5, you can almost certainly afford a PC with those specs, especially in the Chinese market. That’s kind of it, anything else to read on that statement is on you. Implying that a PC focused YouTuber like himself can’t point out that a cheap PC can’t run the game fine on a gaming forum is a bit of a weird take as well.

Fabieter

I think you’re heavily reaching here, somebody stated that you really need a powerful PC to run the game and he simply clarified that you don’t as a cheap PC can run it fine, which is factually true. If you can afford a PS5, you can almost certainly afford a PC with those specs, especially in the Chinese market. That’s kind of it, anything else to read on that statement is on you. Implying that a PC focused YouTuber like himself can’t point out that a cheap PC can’t run the game fine on a gaming forum is a bit of a weird take as well.

He isn't just a youtuber, he works for a big company in this context. And his style is well known. I would put him on the same book than Jeff Grubb.

What do you mean in the Chinese market, alot of components are more expensive than in the us because of import duties.

Zathalus

He isn't just a youtuber, he works for a big company in this context. And his style is well known. I would put him on the same book than Jeff Grubb.

What do you mean in the Chinese market, alot of components are more expensive than in the us because of import duties.
Big company? DF is a YouTuber channel has less then 1.5 million subscribers. That’s not big, even if you just limit that definition to Tech YouTube. Dude is free to give his opinion all he wants, everyone knows he doesn’t like consoles and him pointing out that you can run Black Myth on a relatively cheap PC isn’t some journalistic faux pas.

As for the Chinese market, prices are similar to US ones when accounting for sales tax, certainly cheaper then Europe for example.

Fabieter

Big company? DF is a YouTuber channel has less then 1.5 million subscribers. That’s not big, even if you just limit that definition to Tech YouTube. Dude is free to give his opinion all he wants, everyone knows he doesn’t like consoles and him pointing out that you can run Black Myth on a relatively cheap PC isn’t some journalistic faux pas.

As for the Chinese market, prices are similar to US ones when accounting for sales tax, certainly cheaper then Europe for example.

Who owns df?

IGN also acquired the company's shares in Outside Xbox, Digital Foundry, and Hookshot. Hookshot Media publishes Nintendo life, Push Square, Pure Xbox, and Time Extension

You don't give your bias like that in a professional setting.

Yea a 3060 which he mentioned costs about the same as a ps5 digital in china which makes is really cheap if people just want to play this hype game.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Who owns df?

IGN also acquired the company's shares in Outside Xbox, Digital Foundry, and Hookshot. Hookshot Media publishes Nintendo life, Push Square, Pure Xbox, and Time Extension

You don't give your bias like that in a professional setting.

Yea a 3060 which he mentioned costs about the same as a ps5 digital in china which makes is really cheap if people just want to play this hype game.
Everyone knows that Alex is the PC guy, just pretending to have no bias now is just going to come off as disingenuous. I’d rather have journalists would give their bias as upfront as he does.

A 3060 isn’t as expensive as a PS5 digital in China. You can pick up a 3060 for around 1900 Yuan while a PS5 digital is 3500. But that doesn’t matter in the end because the claim isn’t that that a cheap PC is as cheap as a PS5, just that it doesn’t require an expensive PC. Nobody thinks a 12400 and 3060 combo is expensive.

Fabieter

Everyone knows that Alex is the PC guy, just pretending to have no bias now is just going to come off as disingenuous. I’d rather have journalists would give their bias as upfront as he does.

A 3060 isn’t as expensive as a PS5 digital in China. You can pick up a 3060 for around 1900 Yuan while a PS5 digital is 3500. But that doesn’t matter in the end because the claim isn’t that that a cheap PC is as cheap as a PS5, just that it doesn’t require an expensive PC. Nobody thinks a 12400 and 3060 combo is expensive.

No I want journalist to not show their bias at all. Not just gaming, on all topics.

If we compare some lucky used part deals than you might be right.

He responded to someone by saying, "makes sense because PC gaming is expensive." However, console gamers might already consider spending close to $1,000 as expensive. So, his statement either didn't make sense in that context or it came across as platform warring, which, as a journalist, puts him in the same category as Jeff Grubb.

But since it's not new and just it's usual style it's not worth mentioning any further.

Zathalus

No I want journalist to not show their bias at all. Not just gaming, on all topics.

If we compare some lucky used part deals than you might be right.

He responded to someone by saying, "makes sense because PC gaming is expensive." However, console gamers might already consider spending close to $1,000 as expensive. So, his statement either didn't make sense in that context or it came across as platform warring, which, as a journalist, puts him in the same category as Jeff Grubb.

But since it's not new and just it's usual style it's not worth mentioning any further.
Sure, won’t discuss Alex any further. You’re still wrong about the 3060 prices though. Recommended MSRP for a nee 3060 in China is 1999 Yuan with select models to be found for 1899 Yuan. PS5 Digital price is 3499 Yuan. Building the PC described is closer to $600 in total.

Fabieter

Sure, won’t discuss Alex any further. You’re still wrong about the 3060 prices though. Recommended MSRP for a nee 3060 in China is 1999 Yuan with select models to be found for 1899 Yuan. PS5 Digital price is 3499 Yuan. Building the PC described is closer to $600 in total.

Was wrong about the digital since I still had the old price in mind which was 3.1k but iam happy to see a pc for around 600 bucks including a 1tb fast ssd ;).

Zathalus

Was wrong about the digital since I still had the old price in mind which was 3.1k but iam happy to see a pc for around 600 bucks including a 1tb fast ssd ;).
In China? Not going to look that up because browsing through a ton of Chinese sites to build a PC will take a while especially if you want a good deal. USA prices are mostly similar (some more, some less, depending on what is manufactured in China locally).

You can knock about 60 dollars off the price if you go with PCI 3.0 Nvme and AMD instead of NVIDIA. No OS included but you can get a OEM key online for a few dollars.

Last edited:

Fabieter

In China? Not going to look that up because browsing through a ton of Chinese sites to build a PC will take a while especially if you want a good deal. USA prices are mostly similar (some more, some less, depending on what is manufactured in China locally).

You can knock about 60 dollars off the price if you go with PCI 3.0 Nvme and AMD instead of NVIDIA. No OS included but you can get a OEM key online for a few dollars.

that's not the 5600x alex mentioned and it's without the OS and any periphery on top of missing taxes. So definitely not like 600 bucks.

Zathalus

that's not the 5600x alex mentioned and it's without the OS and any periphery on top of missing taxes. So definitely not like 600 bucks.
12400, and that can be done for cheaper actually:

Add 20 dollars if you have a keyboard or mouse, another 2 for a online windows key.

But if you are including tax and want a KB+M them closer to 700, which is still quite cheap for a gaming PC.

Top Bottom