• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Bebpo

Banned
FateBreaker said:
it's even more unbearable when you're listening to the soundtrack.

Then don't listen to it?

I'm not a fan of listening to osts before hearing the tracks in the game. For instance in BD as you go through certain types of dungeons it plays the same theme but with new sounds so it's cool walking into an areaing and hearing the new tune for the first time. I usually associate the songs with the parts of the game they are from, so even if I buy an ost for a game that I like, I don't listen to it until I've finished the game. I think of songs as spoilers like pictures or plot details.

But I know some people have difference preferences and that's cool.

Bebpo said:
Then don't listen to it?

I'm not a fan of listening to osts before hearing the tracks in the game. For instance in BD as you go through certain types of dungeons it plays the same theme but with new sounds so it's cool walking into an areaing and hearing the new tune for the first time. I usually associate the songs with the parts of the game they are from, so even if I buy an ost for a game that I like, I don't listen to it until I've finished the game. I think of songs as spoilers like pictures or plot details.

But I know some people have difference preferences and that's cool.

generally that's the case.

but, i reallly wanted to hear what uematsu did. i didn't hear all of it - maybe not even half - but just enough to make me go "f***, would they please bring this over here. NOW" :)

Troidal

Load a save data when starting a game but insert the wrong disc (i.e. save data from a disc 1 game, insert disc 2 on the 360). It will tell you to insert the correct disc, so do it. Strangely enough, as game loads, the drive reads the DVD quietly and remains quiet. It is so WTF, I wish all games play this quietly! :lol

The art style of this game is more like a Nintendo type game. If no one told me, I would have believed this is a game for Nintendo console. Looks like the Japanese like it very much, I will wait to see some US review scores then decide if i want to pick it up.

virtuafightermaster said:
The art style of this game is more like a Nintendo type game. If no one told me, I would have believed this is a game for Nintendo console. Looks like the Japanese like it very much, I will wait to see some US review scores then decide if i want to pick it up.

You mean like Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger perhaps?

duckroll

I'm now 30+ hours into the game, and instead of forwarding the story I've been doing optonal stuff that's open to me now. Been doing optional stuff for about 3 hours, and there's still several areas more to explore. There's definitely as much optional content here as in any FF game. The equipment you get from optional quests and dungeons are great stuff too, not throwaway useless things. Good dungeons, good bosses, good music! :D

GhaleonEB

duckroll said:
I'm now 30+ hours into the game, and instead of forwarding the story I've been doing optonal stuff that's open to me now. Been doing optional stuff for about 3 hours, and there's still several areas more to explore. There's definitely as much optional content here as in any FF game. The equipment you get from optional quests and dungeons are great stuff too, not throwaway useless things. Good dungeons, good bosses, good music! :D
Nice. The optional stuff is one of the factors that seperate a good RPG from a great one, IMO.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
duckroll said:
And also with the color barriers you have to visit old places too :)

duckroll

Blimblim said:
And also with the color barriers you have to visit old places too :)

They're not just barriers. Some of the chests and areas that were behind barriers contain stuff linked to secrets or sidequests as well. :D

Blimblim

The Inside Track
duckroll said:
They're not just barriers. Some of the chests and areas that were behind barriers contain stuff linked to secrets or sidequests as well. :D
Wow. I'll just focus on the main stuff for the japanese version and wait for one with english text to do all the side stuff then :)

duckroll

While exploring optional areas I finally came upon one of the legendary achievement monsters - Ousama Unchi-kun! So I figured I'm about level 41, pretty strong, I should have no problem taking the bastard out.... right? After all like one of the posters said earlier, those sound like rare monsters, not uberbosses!

So I ran into it and even got a Back attack! PLAYER ADVANTAGE! Wait.... no.... he's still going first! Oh no worries... he paralyzes Kluke! No biggie, I'll just cure her when it's Jiro's turn... wait... he's taking another turn..... full party attack! I better heal after this...... wait.... what.... 1400+ damage to everyone... erm.... GAME OVER! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Yes, I just got pwned by a GIANT PIECE OF SHIT (literally)! I think this is a gaming first for me! :lol

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Hahaha, excellent one ducky :)
Btw I've been wondering yesterday while checking my inventory, I've got lots of grayed items named somethingLVL2 or LVL3, Bebpo told me the other day they were skills but I'm not sure if I have to do something to be able to use them or if just having them in my inventory is enough?
I also discovered that I had 8 stats upgrade items ready to use :p

duckroll

Blimblim said:
Hahaha, excellent one ducky :)
Btw I've been wondering yesterday while checking my inventory, I've got lots of grayed items named somethingLVL2 or LVL3, Bebpo told me the other day they were skills but I'm not sure if I have to do something to be able to use them or if just having them in my inventory is enough?
I also discovered that I had 8 stats upgrade items ready to use :p

There are various sections in your inventory. Not all items are for using. Similar to FFXII and FFV, in Blue Dragon you can only cast spells that you have bought or found. A spellbook is usually named in this format: [Type][Level]/[Name]. For example you might have White Lvl1/Heal, White Lvl2/CurePara, and so on. If you're looking in an entire section with naming format like that but greyed out, those are just your spellbooks. Of course characters can only use the spells of each type when they have that category skill equipped.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
duckroll said:
There are various sections in your inventory. Not all items are for using. Similar to FFXII and FFV, in Blue Dragon you can only cast spells that you have bought or found. A spellbook is usually named in this format: [Type][Level]/[Name]. For example you might have White Lvl1/Heal, White Lvl2/CurePara, and so on. If you're looking in an entire section with naming format like that but greyed out, those are just your spellbooks. Of course characters can only use the spells of each type when they have that category skill equipped.
Ok that's what I though. The level of the spell does not appear when in the spell list so I was kinda confused :)
Thanks!

duckroll said:
While exploring optional areas I finally came upon one of the legendary achievement monsters - Ousama Unchi-kun! So I figured I'm about level 41, pretty strong, I should have no problem taking the bastard out.... right? After all like one of the posters said earlier, those sound like rare monsters, not uberbosses!

So I ran into it and even got a Back attack! PLAYER ADVANTAGE! Wait.... no.... he's still going first! Oh no worries... he paralyzes Kluke! No biggie, I'll just cure her when it's Jiro's turn... wait... he's taking another turn..... full party attack! I better heal after this...... wait.... what.... 1400+ damage to everyone... erm.... GAME OVER! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Yes, I just got pwned by a GIANT PIECE OF SHIT (literally)! I think this is a gaming first for me! :lol

:lol thanks, now i really hope they give the release date during jump festa !

Orodreth

Razoric said:
Does this game have random battles or can you see the enemy before you hit?

You always see the enemy and can attack from behind to get bonus, mix enemies that fight each other and so on.. check the videos put on the thread.

Man, every time I read this thread I get more and more pumped. From the visual style I was obviously expecting a game that played like Dragon Quest, which would be pretty cool but isn't exactly up my exact alley. Instead it sounds like it pretty much picks up the gameplay right where Sakaguchi's FFV left off, which is pretty much exactly what I want. I had some faith that this whole Mistwalker thing wouldn't get this far off the ground if it didn't have something worthwhile to deliver, but I'm glad to hear my suspicions were correct!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Nice mirror effect.
bd23.jpg

XSamu

Banned
I'm not even lookin at all the video's you post on your site Blim, I mean, damn, you make me so jealous :p

When is it coming to Europe?

reriel

I have 2 questions:

- general quality wise, how is this game compared to last square enix games (included valkyrie profile 2 and ff12) ?

- it's really too easy, or there are some challenge boss fight ?

Just picked up that VJump at Kinokuniya stuffed to9 the gills with Blue Dragon stuff (I think it's VJump?). No Blue Dragon OST, though. Sold out? Not in yet? Who knows.

Anyway. This thing is nice, with a special book insert with a monster guide and a map and all sorts of other stuff. I assume all this stuff has been scanned by now?

Now, to finish learning Japanese!

Bebpo

Banned
I am really, really happy with this game.

The world is possibly the best since FFVI. Exploring it is just so amazing with all its little hidden towns/dungeons/oddities.

While at first the game just seems like your standard rpg, I think given some time down the line the game will really have that nostalgic feeling of a great experience. Sakaguchi is still very talented. He has earned my respect with this game.

And I'm not taking any pictures at all of disc 3 because even for those who don't mind spoilers...you don't want to spoil disc 3.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I'm at the last dungeon of Disc1 (according to the almighty Bebpo) after 16 hours. That dungeon is really really long, with 4 bosses (as far as I can tell) and lots of long fights against weaker enemies.
I'm still loving the game, there is an incredible attention to detail everywhere. I couldn't believe that the devs actually modeled so much stuff in the castle's kitchen for example. It's just crazy how high the production values are. You can really tell that Sakaguchi didn't just put MS' money in his own pocket :)

GreekWolf

Bebpo said:
I am really, really happy with this game.

The world is possibly the best since FFVI. Exploring it is just so amazing with all its little hidden towns/dungeons/oddities.
So... are the 10 9 9 9 scores in Famitsu justified?

duckroll

Hmm.... getting further in the story is going to take a while. There's really a TON to do right now. I still have like two more extra dungeons to explore, and I can't quite figure out what to do for another dungeon (I beat 2 optional bosses there, but there are switches and I'm not sure what they do...). Oh well!

Brashnir

duckroll said:

maybe you need an air freshener to defeat the poop monster like in Dogma. "Knocks strong odors out."

duckroll

For anyone wondering about the HP/MP growth of each Category in Blue Dragon, a Japanese gamer has provided these guideline:

HP: Armor > Barrier = Monk > Sword = Power = Assasin >> White > Black > Combination

MP: Black > White > Power = Barrtio >> Sword > Assasin > Monk = Armor = Combination

This basically means that if you are in the Armor Category while the character levels up, you will enjoy a much greater maximum HP boost than if you were White, Black or Combination Categories. The same goes for MP where Black Category users will get the most benefit from a level up in terms of a maximum MP boost.

Jonnyram

Those values were in Famitsu last week.
To put it another way:

Sword: HP=c MP=e
Black: HP=f MP=a
White: HP=e MP=b
Power: HP=c MP=c
Barrier: HP=b MP=c
Assassin: HP=c MP=f
Monk: HP=b MP=g
Armour: HP=a MP=g
Combination: HP=g MP=g

Basically, combination shits on your character building, but it's great for extra slots. I would personally go up to SKILL+3 or so, then wait until you've got Bari Barrier lv3.

I just got to Gibral! I found out I have 555 Nothings :D Now I don't feel so bad about checking everything.

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
I just got to Gibral! I found out I have 555 Nothings :D Now I don't feel so bad about checking everything.

Are you sure they're counting Nothings? I read it as Nosings, and thought it counted everytime you actually get something from checking something. ^^;;

Whatever the case, I'm like 34-35 hours into the game now, just cleared another optional dungeon. There's one more optional dungeon to go, and a few more optional bosses I haven't been able to beat in a few places. I have all the barrier unlockers now so I think in a day or two I'll be ready to forward the story to the end! :D

Bebpo

Banned
duckroll said:
Are you sure they're counting Nothings? I read it as Nosings, and thought it counted everytime you actually get something from checking something. ^^;;

Whatever the case, I'm like 34-35 hours into the game now, just cleared another optional dungeon. There's one more optional dungeon to go, and a few more optional bosses I haven't been able to beat in a few places. I have all the barrier unlockers now so I think in a day or two I'll be ready to forward the story to the end! :D

It is "nothings" but it counts anytime you check something.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
reriel said:
Lovely, as usual. I really can't wait to play it.

I don't understand how anyone could look at those shots and say that visuals TRULY do not matter to them at all. I'm loving Zelda to death thus far, but I would kill for higher quality HD visuals. >_<

Top Bottom