• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Blimblim said:
I'm still stunned by how awesome this game looks. Look at the lighting in these shots, just incredible.
bd24.jpg

bd25.jpg

bd26.jpg

bd27.jpg

I agree! Best graphics ever IMO.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Its so weird to see this game so acclaim when damn near everyone was wondering if this game was going to be shit because next to nothing was said about it before release. I guess Mistwalker just likes peace and quiet and Microsoft afforded them that. Sounds like a kickass game to me.

The game is defiantly aimed at the hardcore Jpn RPG gamer market. The mechanics and the gameplay look so dated to me. Don't get me wrong, the tech is ****ing incredible but the old ass battle system and exploration mechanics hold it back.

I think Lost Odyssey looks much more appealing, it should do well in all territories.

Bebpo

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
The game is defiantly aimed at the hardcore Jpn RPG gamer market. The mechanics and the gameplay look so dated to me. Don't get me wrong, the tech is ****ing incredible but the old ass battle system and exploration mechanics hold it back.

I think Lost Odyssey looks much more appealing, it should do well in all territories.

LO has random encounters though :(

Bebpo said:
LO has random encounters though :(

It also has an archaic battle system but didn't Mistwalker say those things were placeholder? Random battles are ok with me as long as the game is similar to Final Fantasy X or something.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Its so weird to see this game so acclaim when damn near everyone was wondering if this game was going to be shit because next to nothing was said about it before release.

Well that and Artoon's involvement. I also remember reading here back around E3 that some insiders were saying that Blue Dragon was not coming out well at all and it was a disaster in the making.

I wish I could find those statements now...

Bebpo

Banned
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Well that and Artoon's involvement. I also remember reading here back around E3 that some insiders were saying that Blue Dragon was not coming out well at all and it was a disaster in the making.

I wish I could find those statements now...

LO was the one that "insiders" were saying around E3 time was not coming along well at all because FEEL PLUS+ couldn't figure out how to use the UE3.0 Engine for the life of them. Then came the playable TGS demo, which the same "insiders" say was vastly improved since what had been shown internally earlier, and then came people here at GAF actually playing the TGS demo and going "OMG TERRRIBLE", and then came the assurance that LO would be out in seven months, 7/07.

So LO is the one currently undergoing a lot of skeptisicm. BD had a lot of doubters, including myself, because it was being made by Artoon, Sakaguchi hadn't made an rpg in 10 years, and the game was hidden under a curtain until less than 3 months before release. But in the end BD pulled it off and was excellent. Hopefully LO will make the turnaround as well, but it's facing a more difficult uphill climb because of the state it's been shown in (maybe BD was as much of a mess 7-8 months ago and the secret is to not show the game in a mess state and keep it under the curtain until it's finished).

Sean*O

I have high hopes for LO, and I hope they take their time with it, even if it means releasing next November. The possibility for so many great sub-plots exist, and I would really hate to see a rushed poduct at this point.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I actually had the complete opposite in mind for LO and BD because of Artoon and was surprised to hear so many more negative things about LO, but I have faith LO will turn out well after this did. Although right now it is looking a lot like FFVIII they still have lot of time to turn it around.

duckroll

DreamMachine said:
Hey, duckroll, when can we get a full review with score as well from you?

No more scores. People take them waaay too seriously. Sometime tomorrow I'll start a new thread with a full review/final thoughts write-up.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
DreamMachine said:
I like scores :(

how about an "a-f" grade system? :)

How about you read the text of his review and form your own opinion based on it. I know free thinking is scary, but give it a try you might like it.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Bebpo said:
LO was the one that "insiders" were saying around E3 time was not coming along well at all because FEEL PLUS+ couldn't figure out how to use the UE3.0 Engine for the life of them. Then came the playable TGS demo, which the same "insiders" say was vastly improved since what had been shown internally earlier, and then came people here at GAF actually playing the TGS demo and going "OMG TERRRIBLE", and then came the assurance that LO would be out in seven months, 7/07.

So LO is the one currently undergoing a lot of skeptisicm. BD had a lot of doubters, including myself, because it was being made by Artoon, Sakaguchi hadn't made an rpg in 10 years, and the game was hidden under a curtain until less than 3 months before release. But in the end BD pulled it off and was excellent. Hopefully LO will make the turnaround as well, but it's facing a more difficult uphill climb because of the state it's been shown in (maybe BD was as much of a mess 7-8 months ago and the secret is to not show the game in a mess state and keep it under the curtain until it's finished).

I played LO at TGS as I stated earlier and it was disgusting yet satisfying. I'd like everyone to hear my out that the game looks to have a lot of potential.

Not necesarily because of the gameplay, but because of the scenario, characters, and world. Not to mention the amazing graphics. I think the skepticism should be put to rest and be concluded with the sole fact that Mistwalker shouldn't have shown this game to the masses at TGS.

duckroll

dirtmonkey37 said:
the sole fact that Mistwalker shouldn't have shown this game to the masses at TGS.

I agree. I also they they shouldn't be giving out the demo disc with every single Xbox360 sold in Japan. :(

dirtmonkey37 said:
I played LO at TGS as I stated earlier and it was disgusting yet satisfying. I'd like everyone to hear my out that the game looks to have a lot of potential.

Not necesarily because of the gameplay, but because of the scenario, characters, and world. Not to mention the amazing graphics. I think the skepticism should be put to rest and be concluded with the sole fact that Mistwalker shouldn't have shown this game to the masses at TGS.

gameplay looked not so good though, just dull early or not, it was going to kill some interest...and the graphics outside the intro didnt look taht impressive. I think it will be a while before they show the game again. Inoue is teh big draw in this game though

peace

duckroll said:
You know I don't play that kind of game. A RPG of the Year would be pretty unfair to other RPGs, especially since it's all subjective when there are so many high quality titles this year. If you force me to choose, it'll be FFXII without a question.

Bebpo said:
I agree with duckroll. I'm getting tired of ranking rpgs as even if two rpgs are excellent games if you say one is better than the other everyone thinks one sucks and the other is great. Plus neither duckroll nor myself have finished the game yet.

I'll just simply say that 2006 has been the best year for rpgs in quite a while if not the entire generation.

FFXII, VP2, XSep3, P3, BD are all great rpgs well worth playing and all will be memorable down the line.

duckroll said:
No more scores. People take them waaay too seriously. Sometime tomorrow I'll start a new thread with a full review/final thoughts write-up.

you guys are really throwing this out of proportion. i can't speak for everybody else, but for me, it's not like i glance at a score, compare it with another game that got a similar score. for me, i just want to get an idea of how good it is. i'm buying this game if you gave it a 0/10, and i'll read your review regardless. but, if you gave it, like, an 8, i would be able to think "oh ok, what other games gave it an 8...oh, blahblah, alright. and continue to read or whatever. as for rankings, same thing. it's just a good way of quickly seeing just how good do you think this game is. it's not if it's higher than the other, i think the other is crap; but unfortunately, money isn't unlimited, and you just help be the judge of purchases so to speak.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Wow, I'm totally stuck at the
robot factory, what am I supposed to do against their shields?
Edit: nevermind, bebpo just replied :)

duckroll said:
I heard Famitsu Weekly gave it 37/40!

I know, I posted the unproven numbers when they first came out :)

maybe I just relate scores more myself.

There are times when I play a game and a game feels like a 9 or 8.5 that's how I would judge my games.. is all.

but I look forward to your text review.

FateBreaker said:
you guys are really throwing this out of proportion. i can't speak for everybody else, but for me, it's not like i glance at a score, compare it with another game that got a similar score. for me, i just want to get an idea of how good it is. i'm buying this game if you gave it a 0/10, and i'll read your review regardless. but, if you gave it, like, an 8, i would be able to think "oh ok, what other games gave it an 8...oh, blahblah, alright. and continue to read or whatever. as for rankings, same thing. it's just a good way of quickly seeing just how good do you think this game is. it's not if it's higher than the other, i think the other is crap; but unfortunately, money isn't unlimited, and you just help be the judge of purchases so to speak.

Thank you summed up my thoughts perfectly.

BlimBlim:
you just have to escape.. as duckroll said a few pages back, Shu can't escape because he doesn't have that command, so you just have to choose the escape command with other character, you know, the last option

I own the Lost Odyssey demo, and i'm still on Disc 2 of Blue Dragon.. after playing the demo and Blue Dragon, I have the feeling that LO will be even better than Blue Dragon..

GhaleonEB

FateBreaker said:
Scores just ****-up the discussion of the review, to put it bluntly. Remember the gamespot Zelda review? The actual text was a good, almost entirely positive review. But the score caused a mega-pack of idiotic fanboys to have a conniption fit. That's an extreme example, but it shows how the score disrupts a discussion of the game's merits. I'd rather have a discussion of the pros and cons about the game than have a million people ask duckroll why it scored a 9 and not a 9.5.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I'm now about 27 hours in the game now, and I'm still getting some wow moments all the time. I can't believe the sheer number of assets in this game. From the textures with multiple layers for the mast majority of them, to the modeling, animation, lighting and sheer inventivity of the whole design, this is just an incredible amount of work and talent. I know this won't be a very popular opinion, but at times (not all times mind you), it almost feels like being in a Pixar movie. There I said it!
I think it's incredible lighting and shadowing that makes everything fit together so well that you don't think anymore of having a dynamic character model inside a static environment. It's just so good that it's just perfectly natural and you don't think about it until something even better than the usual is on the screen. And it's not just cutscenes, the robot city from the screens I posted yesterday has to be seen in motion to understand how everything from lighting to animation is just *perfect*.
If not for the slowdowns, BD would be IMHO a totally perfect looking and moving game. And I think that thanks to its uncommon art style it will age very well.
Ho and I'm of course having a lot of fun playing too. The
kero
spell is really funny :)

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
duckroll said:
I agree. I also they they shouldn't be giving out the demo disc with every single Xbox360 sold in Japan. :(

They're doing that? That is completely unnecesary. The demo (have you played it?) was horrible, but the graphics just looked stunning.

Why don't they make a demo that features the following games come with every 360?:

1. BD demo (the TGS one, which had both a forest part and the fun air ship part)
2. Culdcept Saga Demo
3. Lost Planet Demo
4. Trusty Bell (Eternal Sonata) demo
5. DOA4 demo
6. Ridge Racer 6 Demo

Let's assume each of those is 1 GB (not saying that they are). They could squeeze on a video of Lost Oddyssey and maybe a little something for Cry-on and a nice, short video of Viva Pinata and Kameo, and they'd be good to go.

Now that's a demo disc! I don't understand why MS won't do that...it's cheap and all they're doing is basically taking the XBL live demo (for the most part), putting them on a disc with some TGS demos, and a couple videos.

THAT WOULD BE THE BEST IDEA EVER. Why? All the games I mentioned above are superb games (in terms of reviews and general fan-responses) so just put 'em all on a single disc and accentuate the fact that the 360 really does have the best software library as of now in JPN.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Blimblim said:
I'm now about 27 hours in the game now, and I'm still getting some wow moments all the time. I can't believe the sheer number of assets in this game. From the textures with multiple layers for the mast majority of them, to the modeling, animation, lighting and sheer inventivity of the whole design, this is just an incredible amount of work and talent. I know this won't be a very popular opinion, but at times (not all times mind you), it almost feels like being in a Pixar movie. There I said it!
I think it's incredible lighting and shadowing that makes everything fit together so well that you don't think anymore of having a dynamic character model inside a static environment. It's just so good that it's just perfectly natural and you don't think about it until something even better than the usual is on the screen. And it's not just cutscenes, the robot city from the screens I posted yesterday has to be seen in motion to understand how everything from lighting to animation is just *perfect*.
If not for the slowdowns, BD would be IMHO a totally perfect looking and moving game. And I think that thanks to its uncommon art style it will age very well.
kero

Man, you're making me even more excited for this title!!!!

Blimblim said:
kero
Damn you blim now the wait is even harder than before!
Can you post new videos of blue dragon?

Blimblim said:
kero

i agree with you. i'm about 37 hours in the game now, and i get the feeling of being playing an animated movie, it's a shame the game has some issues like tearing, or a bit of slowdown when you're in a fight against 5 monsters (your 5 characters and its shadows VS 5 monsters), but i guess it isn't a major issue, and i don't really care that much.

now that i'm really surprised with Blue Dragon, i don't wanna even think about how will Lost Odyssey (my most wanted JRPG of 2007) and Cry On end up..

duckroll

dirtmonkey37 said:
They're doing that? That is completely unnecesary. The demo (have you played it?) was horrible, but the graphics just looked stunning.

Yeah, I picked up the Famitsu issue that was giving it away. I was personally really disappointed with it. The scenario and world looked dark and interesting, but once you're on the field it was a mess. No camera control, random encounters, poor loading optimization, very basic gameplay, etc. It's clear it was way too early to be shown. What's more disappointing is that it's the same demo at every show now including Jump Festa because Mistwalker doesn't want to put out another one.

GhaleonEB said:
Apparantly, a happy birthday is in order for duckroll. Happy birthday!

Did you beat BD, as Junpei Heat said?

Did the miss the previous page or two on this thread? :)

duckroll said:
Yeah, I picked up the Famitsu issue that was giving it away. I was personally really disappointed with it. The scenario and world looked dark and interesting, but once you're on the field it was a mess. No camera control, random encounters, poor loading optimization, very basic gameplay, etc. It's clear it was way too early to be shown. What's more disappointing is that it's the same demo at every show now including Jump Festa because Mistwalker doesn't want to put out another one.

didn't it, oddly enough, get to rank 11 on the famitsu most wanted? maybe some actually liked the demo...:lol ?

duckroll

FateBreaker said:
didn't it, oddly enough, get to rank 11 on the famitsu most wanted? maybe some actually liked the demo...:lol ?

Do you honestly think most of the people voting even PLAYED the demo? The videos for Lost Odyssey and the art style are very impressive. Honestly, after Blue Dragon I expect interest in Lost Odyssey to go up.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
duckroll said:

Did the miss the previous page or two on this thread? :)

I really liked the scenario of LO as mentioned above. I liked the dark world. However, the only part of the demo I got to play before they kicked me out was the original battle scene with the thousand weird-looking-soldiers.

I enjoyed the visuals, the style, the seemless transition from CG to real-time, but the game's battles seemed no different than FFX -- they were actually worse. I could have sworn that the protagonist's animation was stolen directly from Tidus in FFX....

Assuming you have the full demo, how's the part after the huge battle? You know, with the wagons goin' about and the main character gets to interact and speak with those town-people?

duckroll

dirtmonkey37 said:
Assuming you have the full demo, how's the part after the huge battle? You know, with the wagons goin' about and the main character gets to interact and speak with those town-people?

Yeah I have the full demo. It's pretty much all downhill once you finish the seamless battle which ends with the meteor. The world map has no camera controls, feels really empty and random encounters just pop up. The battle system is non-existant since all you can do is select attack over and over.

The "city" you get to is a huge teaser too. Because you don't actually get to the city. After the wagons reach the "city" you get into the train station. After you get into the train you see a FMV which shows the train moving towards the city which looks amazing, then the demo ends.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
So what's you guys status in this game?
I think I'm about halfway done with disc2, just finished
the green village
. I'm taking a break from playing for a few days because I need to do a quick cut of the 22 hours (yup) of gameplay I recorded for Gamersyde 3, and I should get Motorstorm tonight. But I still plan on going as far as possible in the game until I get stuck for good like happened in eM.

Jonnyram

I'm just at the beginning of disc 2. I've just finished
making the ring for Kluke
. I loved the events and stuff at the end of disc 1 - really dramatic and fun too. My chars are all level 25 now, I think, and most of my primary shadows are around the same, except Barrier which is about 29 I think. I have saved up 16 barrier hearts from Trippo, so I'm aiming to get it to 50 soon and my shadow levels should shoot up after that ;)

i'm stuck in disc number 2 at the battle
against the 5 robots you already beat in disc 1
i need a little bit of patience to win that battle and continue the journey

pheew

Banned
gaming industry does not care about euro people :(

or we can blame france, italy, germany etc for not wanting to learn english

Top Bottom