• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

dark10x said:
Lovely, as usual. I really can't wait to play it.

I don't understand how anyone could look at those shots and say that visuals TRULY do not matter to them at all. I'm loving Zelda to death thus far, but I would kill for higher quality HD visuals. >_<

I think having this graphical fidelity really brings out the charm in games like this and viva pinata. Wii seems like a great idea(have yet to play it yet), but I really am glad we have games that are just so nice to look at. The systems allow games to pull you into their world in different ways, and I think wii will be a good compliment to any next gen system.

duckroll

dark10x said:
Lovely, as usual. I really can't wait to play it.

I don't understand how anyone could look at those shots and say that visuals TRULY do not matter to them at all. I'm loving Zelda to death thus far, but I would kill for higher quality HD visuals. >_<

I know what you mean! I finished MPO today, so I started playing Zelda seriously and got a few hours in. It's even worse because I'm playing on composite until my GC component cables arrive. Yeah, yeah I know, I just never bothered with component cables for it until now. Now my eyes are paying for it. :(

GhaleonEB

WHOAguitarninja said:
I think having this graphical fidelity really brings out the charm in games like this and viva pinata. Wii seems like a great idea(have yet to play it yet), but I really am glad we have games that are just so nice to look at. The systems allow games to pull you into their world in different ways, and I think wii will be a good compliment to any next gen system.
Agreed, mostly. I don't want to get into bashing the Wii, but I think the lack of graphics horepower will hurt it more than expected. I was reading the new issue of EGM last night and one of the guys that reviewed Gears of War made the comment, "the graphics are so good you don't really think about them", which struck me as pretty astute. His reasoning is, they are so good you just get sucked into the world, and don't think of the visuals as being a seperate element of the game. I think that's the goal of serious developers who want to immerse you in their games. Blue Dragon seems to have that as well, where the visuals are so good you can get lost in the game universe. At least, from what I've seen from here. :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
duckroll said:
I know what you mean! I finished MPO today, so I started playing Zelda seriously and got a few hours in. It's even worse because I'm playing on composite until my GC component cables arrive. Yeah, yeah I know, I just never bothered with component cables for it until now. Now my eyes are paying for it. :(
When they do arrive, I wouldn't bother with 480p (unless your TV does a poor job scaling 480i content). The image quality in 480p mode is significantly worse (very dithered). Really uglies up the game.

Vangellis

dark10x said:
When they do arrive, I wouldn't bother with 480p (unless your TV does a poor job scaling 480i content). The image quality in 480p mode is significantly worse (very dithered). Really uglies up the game.

Whew, i thought my cables were messed up. Yea the dithering is terrible. Im torn as to what to use. Its crappy either way :(

I still use 480p since the colors are better and I cant stand the blur.

dark10x

Vangellis said:
Whew, i thought my cables were messed up. Yea the dithering is terrible. Im torn as to what to use. Its crappy either way :(

I still use 480p since the colors are better and I cant stand the blur.
Well, you can still use 480i with component (that's what I'm doing). That's the best solution.

3rdman

duckroll said:

Its not much better. I'm playing it on component on my HD and because it is 640x480, my TV stretches the image much in the way the Xbox did. The jaggies are enough to make my eyes bleed. Most of this could be alieviated with 16:9 support but whatever...

duckroll

dark10x said:

I'm doing it more for the picture quality and detail than progressive honestly. Regardless it should be a good improvement from the composite signal which is pretty shitty. :(

dark10x

3rdman said:
Its not much better. I'm playing it on component on my HD and because it is 640x480, my TV stretches the image much in the way the Xbox did. The jaggies are enough to make my eyes bleed. Most of this could be alieviated with 16:9 support but whatever...
16:9 wouldn't help as the resolution is the same (the image simply wouldn't appeared squashed).

duckroll

FateBreaker said:
So ... now that you all are pretty deep into it ... is blue dragon a contestant for RPG of the Year?

You know I don't play that kind of game. A RPG of the Year would be pretty unfair to other RPGs, especially since it's all subjective when there are so many high quality titles this year. If you force me to choose, it'll be FFXII without a question.

Razoric

Banned
duckroll said:
You know I don't play that kind of game. A RPG of the Year would be pretty unfair to other RPGs, especially since it's all subjective when there are so many high quality titles this year. If you force me to choose, it'll be FFXII without a question.

Where does Blue Dragon stack up on your list of RPGs you like... is it something memorable and well worth a sequel or two? Or is it kind of generic and forgetable when all is said and done?

duckroll

Razoric said:
Where does Blue Dragon stack up on your list of RPGs you like... is it something memorable and well worth a sequel or two? Or is it kind of generic and forgetable when all is said and done?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, I still haven't beaten it. :)

GhaleonEB

Razoric said:
I think it's premature to ask this question, since he's still playing through the game for the first time. :)

Bebpo

Banned
FateBreaker said:
So ... now that you all are pretty deep into it ... is blue dragon a contestant for RPG of the Year?

I agree with duckroll. I'm getting tired of ranking rpgs as even if two rpgs are excellent games if you say one is better than the other everyone thinks one sucks and the other is great. Plus neither duckroll nor myself have finished the game yet.

I'll just simply say that 2006 has been the best year for rpgs in quite a while if not the entire generation.

FFXII, VP2, XSep3, P3, BD are all great rpgs well worth playing and all will be memorable down the line.

duckroll

Man, it's nice to see that even when I'm over lvl50, there are optional bosses that can wipe my party out. :lol

Although at this rate by the time I get back into the last stretch of the story I'll probably be insanely overpowered! Must..... beat..... all.... optional..... bosses!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Yeah eM was surprisingly nice for a launch RPG, done by an inexperienced team to boot. Of course you'd better play it before BD, because the production values difference is just staggering.

Karma Kramer said:
All I know is Microsoft and Mistwalker better get this game to the states soon! This thread makes me want to cry.

I am honestly expecting a fall release with an enhanced USA version that will be released as a "Directors Cut" version in japan for extra milking.

duckroll

The following were officially announced at Jump Festa:

- Studio Pierrot's Blue Dragon anime series will debut on TV Tokyo in April

- Konami's Blue Dragon trading card game (real cards) will be out in Spring 2007, samples of cards and basic rules were shown at the show

GhaleonEB

duckroll said:
The following were officially announced at Jump Festa:

- Studio Pierrot's Blue Dragon anime series will debut on TV Tokyo in April

- Konami's Blue Dragon trading card game (real cards) will be out in Spring 2007, samples of cards and basic rules were shown at the show
Sounds like they're really trying to help build up the Blue Dragon brand. Sequel inevetable. Yay.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Just finished Disc 1 after 18 hours. Pretty nice ending, but the mecha fight was totally fubar for me thanks to the non inverted Y AND the inverted X :/

duckroll

Blimblim said:
Just finished Disc 1 after 18 hours. Pretty nice ending, but the mecha fight was totally fubar for me thanks to the non inverted Y AND the inverted X :/

You know you can change the Mechat control scheme in the settings right? You should go fix that shit before disc3, because there are more shooting sequences there! :D

Blimblim

The Inside Track
duckroll said:
You know you can change the Mechat control scheme in the settings right? You should go fix that shit before disc3, because there are more shooting sequences there! :D
Damn it, where in the settings? :)

Brashnir

Blimblim said:

geez, no wonder the Japanese hate shooters so much. the JRPG devs are poisoning their minds. :D

Blimblim

The Inside Track
duckroll said:
In the Config screen the last option is controls for Mechat Shooting, and the one before that is controls for the normal game.
Hmmm I just tried and while I can change the keys, I don't see anything to invert axis.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Wow I just had a pretty freaky bug. At the beginning of disc 2 there is a minigame where you have to create a ring for Kluke, and the only item available for the creation was named @@@@@@@@ and costed 0. I didn't know what the game was about so I just thought I didn't understand and let it go. Then after about 1h30 of leveling the game crashed, first time it happened, and it seems like it lost my save (or simply didn't save) I did after about 1h of leveling. So I had to do the whole minigame again and this time I had all the items available.
Pretty strange.
Edit: Ho yes, for some reason Jiro was the character I was controlling in the city and overworld too instead of Shu, not sure if it was a bug or not.

duckroll

Blimblim said:
Wow I just had a pretty freaky bug. At the beginning of disc 2 there is a minigame where you have to create a ring for Kluke, and the only item available for the creation was named @@@@@@@@ and costed 0. I didn't know what the game was about so I just thought I didn't understand and let it go. Then after about 1h30 of leveling the game crashed, first time it happened, and it seems like it lost my save (or simply didn't save) I did after about 1h of leveling. So I had to do the whole minigame again and this time I had all the items available.
Pretty strange.
Edit: Ho yes, for some reason Jiro was the character I was controlling in the city and overworld too instead of Shu, not sure if it was a bug or not.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

What the hell?!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I'm still stunned by how awesome this game looks. Look at the lighting in these shots, just incredible.
bd24.jpg

bd25.jpg

bd26.jpg

bd27.jpg

jimbo

Banned
I can't believe how long this thread has been on the front page, and it doesn't even have a NA release date yet. Hmm...I wonder if this says anything about the game's sales potential in the US or if it only has to do with the fact that it's out in Japan now.

Could it be....Halo who?

duckroll

I beat the game. Took over 40 hours and I had to skip out on a few optional bosses because they were really too hard. By then I was lvl60 and my party was practically invincible in the final dungeon and all the final bosses were pushovers. So that should be a good indicator about how hard certain uber-bosses are.

If you bother to train up and do every single thing in the game, it would probably take 50 hours at most. If you rush through the game skipping all optional content (what a waste!) the game would probably take 30-35 hours to beat. The length is great because it's neither too short nor too long, and the worldview is great. The game is easy enough for beginners and there's tons to collect, customize and explore for more hardcore RPG players.

My initial impressions were that this game is very much a next-generation FFV style game, and that carries through all the way to the very end. From the setting, the characters, the gameplay, to the way sidequests and secrets are presented and scattered around the world, and the underlying game mechanics and so on, this is in every way a next generation FFV. Improvements like not having random encounters, and better scenario presentation make it feel like an upgraded experience as well. I really, really liked it.

Razoric said:

As long as Sakaguchi is writing and designing the game, and the same team is behind it, I'll play any sequel they decide to make based on this. There's nothing generic about Blue Dragon. It may be a very oldschool traditional JRPG with a few modern ideas thrown in and really great next-generation graphics and animations, but the actual world design, events and places are anything but generic. By the end there should be plenty of memorable moments filled with charm and joy.

duckroll said:
I beat the game. Took over 40 hours and I had to skip out on a few optional bosses because they were really too hard. By then I was lvl60 and my party was practically invincible in the final dungeon and all the final bosses were pushovers. So that should be a good indicator about how hard certain uber-bosses are.

If you bother to train up and do every single thing in the game, it would probably take 50 hours at most. If you rush through the game skipping all optional content (what a waste!) the game would probably take 30-35 hours to beat. The length is great because it's neither too short nor too long, and the worldview is great. The game is easy enough for beginners and there's tons to collect, customize and explore for more hardcore RPG players.

My initial impressions were that this game is very much a next-generation FFV style game, and that carries through all the way to the very end. From the setting, the characters, the gameplay, to the way sidequests and secrets are presented and scattered around the world, and the underlying game mechanics and so on, this is in every way a next generation FFV. Improvements like not having random encounters, and better scenario presentation make it feel like an upgraded experience as well. I really, really liked it.

As long as Sakaguchi is writing and designing the game, and the same team is behind it, I'll play any sequel they decide to make based on this. There's nothing generic about Blue Dragon. It may be a very oldschool traditional JRPG with a few modern ideas thrown in and really great next-generation graphics and animations, but the actual world design, events and places are anything but generic. By the end there should be plenty of memorable moments filled with charm and joy.

So how does this compare to other RPG's? I mean, is it Triple A level to you?

Top Bottom