• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Alex

I'm so ridiculously hyped for this game, it's not even funny. The FF5 comparisions
doomed to be the best FF forever
, the Toriyama art/Uematsu music and all the little tidbits I hear out of it really light up my face.

The only thing I dislike hearing is that it's too easy. =/ That's a bummer, games like this should really be difficult, IMO.

And I don't care how cheesy it is, I adore Eternity. It's probably the most fun and enjoyable vocal track I can recall hearing in a JRPG.

Bebpo

Banned
Finished the game with everything cleared, sidequests, ultimate uber bosses, hidden dungeons, etc... at about
hours. Time breakdown is like
30-35 hour main story, 10-15 hours of sidequests, and expect to spend 5 hours to be the ulimate hidden boss.
. Perfect length; never really drags besides the very beginning and doesn't feel rushed or too short.

Gimme a day to get my thoughts together and I'll delve deeper in duckroll's game cleared impressions thread, but overall a very nice rpg. About on par with FFV whatever that means to you.

Bebpo

Banned
FateBreaker said:
Random question - anyone know how many acheivement points, total, are possible in Blue Dragon?

uhh...is this a trick question?

If you don't have an X360 and haven't kept up with the achievements system, every retail game has 1000 points, XBLA games have 200.

Brashnir

Bebpo said:
If you don't have an X360 and haven't kept up with the achievements system, every retail game has 1000 points, XBLA games have 200.

actually a few retail games have like 900 or 960 for "future expansion," like PGR and Condemned. most do have 1000 though.

Bebpo said:
uhh...is this a trick question?

Oh. That, I didn't know. I feel ashamed. Thanks!

Jonnyram

I just got Bari Barrier level 3, and simultaneously found a place with infinite spawning enemies
- the laser site
. Now I wonder how to efficiently make the most of this. I have read that monk skill "koi aura" makes stuff spawn more quickly, is this right? Also, I guess there is equipment that boosts SP gain, but I dunno how far in that will be, and whether it works in conjunction with Bari Barrier or not. I was pretty disappointed to see that lv50 is not the max for shadows though - are there even any new skills after that? The manual doesn't list any above 50.

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
Also, I guess there is equipment that boosts SP gain, but I dunno how far in that will be, and whether it works in conjunction with Bari Barrier or not.

It should, but you only get the Black Belts on disc3. Doing the optional stuff nets you lots of great equipment.

I was pretty disappointed to see that lv50 is not the max for shadows though - are there even any new skills after that? The manual doesn't list any above 50.

Yeah, that was a massive downer. Rank 50 is technically the max, but they just had to go and set it to 99 so the achievements would be impossible unless you wanted to waste a ton of time. There are no new skills above 50. :(

Troidal

Jonnyram said:
I was pretty disappointed to see that lv50 is not the max for shadows though - are there even any new skills after that? The manual doesn't list any above 50.

Yeah when I found out the last skill you acquire is at level
, I figured WTF at maxing out your skill level to 99 :lol

Only for the hardcore I guess. You've done it for games like Silpheed and N3 so I know you'll do it Johnny! :)

Btw, I haven't played much recently, been reading too much FAQs :/

Jonnyram

Troidal said:
Only for the hardcore I guess. You've done it for games like Silpheed and N3 so I know you'll do it Johnny! :)
Yeah, it can't possibly be worse than Silpheed right? I mean, I was literally falling asleep in the latter runs through the game!
I'm a little concerned about getting all the shadows of every char to lv99, but I guess with the right skill/equipment set up, it shouldn't be that bad. I hear you can use rubber bands too ;) But you need to be there to press A when you learn new skills at least.

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Yeah, it can't possibly be worse than Silpheed right? I mean, I was literally falling asleep in the latter runs through the game!
I'm a little concerned about getting all the shadows of every char to lv99, but I guess with the right skill/equipment set up, it shouldn't be that bad. I hear you can use rubber bands too ;) But you need to be there to press A when you learn new skills at least.

Getting shadows up is pretty easy. I hit lvl.99 on Kluuke without even trying as she'd learned all the mage skills she needed so she just stuck to Black Magic while everyone else was learning all the important skills to beat the hidden bosses.

And regarding your earlier question you shouldn't grind at all because the game is generally easy and if you want to grind the best spots will be at the end of the game anyhow.

Now if you wanted to get your CHARACTERS to lvl.99....hahahahha...such a waste of time. I did everything with my characters at lvl.60. I hate achievements that are like "here, get an achievement for wasting hours of your life when you could be doing something better!" so all the 99 maxing stuff is "yeah right".

reriel

Bebpo said:
Gimme a day to get my thoughts together and I'll delve deeper in duckroll's game cleared impressions thread, but overall a very nice rpg. About on par with FFV whatever that means to you.

nothing yet ? I wanna read your final impression è__é

Anyway, can you agree that overall, this game is packed with the best Toriyama enemies in an RPG so far? They all ooze character and "Toriyama-ishness" if that makes sense. The design is consistent which is nice. Kind of like the Mega Man series where even if they throw in a dragon it makes sense and flows with the game.

I think the game will do well worldwide. Believe it or not there are tons of Toriyama fans around the world. Even Africa had Dragonball Z before the US did.

Bebpo

Banned
CountZeroInt said:
Anyway, can you agree that overall, this game is packed with the best Toriyama enemies in an RPG so far? They all ooze character and "Toriyama-ishness" if that makes sense. The design is consistent which is nice. Kind of like the Mega Man series where even if they throw in a dragon it makes sense and flows with the game.

Sure. :)

ferricide

CountZeroInt said:

I think the game will do well worldwide. Believe it or not there are tons of Toriyama fans around the world. Even Africa had Dragonball Z before the US did.
the enemies are great, but i saw enemies that i liked just as much in DQ8.

i beat the game last night but i don't have a lot to add, and i should probably do it for my day job anyway when i do, except to reiterate a lot of what i've been reading here. it's not very challenging, it's a hell of a lot of fun, it's like an FF from the SNES era but with next-gen graphics... and it could use a few little tweaks before it hits the US.

i'm very happy to have beaten it and i really enjoyed it. glad i got the chance to play all the way through it.

i liked it better than FF12, but i liked FF12 less than most seem to, so take that as you will. obviously, they're very different games.

I just read through this entire thread, well skimmed everything but the informative posts, and I'd just like to thank blimblim, duckroll, bebpo and anyone else who posted pics, movies, in-depth impressions of the gameplay, battle systems and the like. This thread has cemented the fact that I will be buying an Xbox 360 for this game, it looks and sounds absolutely awesome.

Bebpo

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
I just read through this entire thread, well skimmed everything but the informative posts, and I'd just like to thank blimblim, duckroll, bebpo and anyone else who posted pics, movies, in-depth impressions of the gameplay, battle systems and the like. This thread has cemented the fact that I will be buying an Xbox 360 for this game, it looks and sounds absolutely awesome.

Yeah if there's one game worth buying for it's Blue Dra...Gears of War! Two games....Gears of War & Blue Dragon!

toypop

http://bluedragon.tv/

Upcoming DLC in Japan

Jan 3rd
*Some extra thingies on "Mechat Shooting" mini game.
I think it's free since it called "new year presents"

More to come (TBD)
*Option to start 2nd loop with same status when you beat 1st loop.
*Extra dungeons.
*etc

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Bonus Content like this is going to be such a welcome addition to JRPGs. Being able to bust in a game like Final Fantasy again even after you've spent 100 hours grinding because the Dev house released a Bonus Dungeon or two makes me happeh.

Woot, that's just what I was asking for in the 1up show thread. Hopefully the US version has this stuff built in (and then gets some more DLC on top of that). Whether or not they wil ramp the difficulty up is probably another question.

I was just noticing yesterday that the #1 Viva Pinata garden on the leaderboards is in Japan. You'd think with the generally renowned skill of Japanese players they would make the Japanese version of Blue Dragon more difficult, but I guess they were going after the Pokemon kiddies with this one.

Bebpo

Banned
CountZeroInt said:
Woot, that's just what I was asking for in the 1up show thread. Hopefully the US version has this stuff built in (and then gets some more DLC on top of that). Whether or not they wil ramp the difficulty up is probably another question.

I was just noticing yesterday that the #1 Viva Pinata garden on the leaderboards is in Japan. You'd think with the generally renowned skill of Japanese players they would make the Japanese version of Blue Dragon more difficult, but I guess they were going after the Pokemon kiddies with this one.

Actually, I think the BD difficulty was tailored to the Western market. For a lot of people who will buy it once it hits the US it will be their first jrpg.

And I'm very pleased with this notion of a new game+ DLC later on. I'd be interested in doing a speed run through the game if there was a new game+ ability.

Fady K

Bebpo said:
Actually, I think the BD difficulty was tailored to the Western market. For a lot of people who will buy it once it hits the US it will be their first jrpg.

And I'm very pleased with this notion of a new game+ DLC later on. I'd be interested in doing a speed run through the game if there was a new game+ ability.

DLC for a JRPG sounds good to me. Any news on DLC stuff happening on PS3? It would be nice to see DLC for games like FFXIII and all.

Jonnyram

Mmmmm, extra stuff. Yummy.
I wonder if they'll just recycle existing monsters in the new dungeons, or maybe palette swaps and new stats? I'm not sure that New Game+ would be any more tolerable than general levelling, in terms of the achievements... unless they make the monsters harder too.

Jonnyram

Man, I just finished disc 2... the cut scenes at this stage in the game are just phenomenal. I am loving the story, and heck, there is still some twistiness to it that I didn't predict hours ago.

vireland

Doom_Bringer said:
The game is defiantly aimed at the hardcore Jpn RPG gamer market. The mechanics and the gameplay look so dated to me. Don't get me wrong, the tech is ****ing incredible but the old ass battle system and exploration mechanics hold it back.

The game may be using a menu-driven combat format, but there are really cools twists to the play mechanics that make it anything but "old ass". Just some of the cool ideas:

1. Putting opposing monsters in close proximity to each other then activating the battle so the monsters fight each other.

2. Equipping overworld skills that make it kinda action-rpgish

3. Monsters that help you instead of hurt you in an encounter.

Lots of other cool little touches that fall into the "polish" domain. It's a really, really well done RPG.

Okay if you could answer this in a non-spoilerific way, do you see any hints of a Blue Dragon 2 or is the ending tied down pretty tightly?

I've seen some shots of bosses and they're GINORMOUS and wonderful, it looked like something out of an art sketch book.

If not, like is being discussed hopefully they at least keep up the downloadable updates...

vireland

Jonnyram said:
Man, I just finished disc 2... the cut scenes at this stage in the game are just phenomenal. I am loving the story, and heck, there is still some twistiness to it that I didn't predict hours ago.

Didn't disc 2 seem kinda short to you? I mean, it was certainly challenging (I kept saying "ridiculous" in many of the boss fights, until it even annoyed me that I kept absent-mindedly saying it), but there weren't many places to visit or major events before it was over. Disc 1 seemed WAY longer.

Anyway, still loving the game, but Disc 2 seemed short. :)

duckroll

vireland said:
Didn't disc 2 seem kinda short to you? I mean, it was certainly challenging (I kept saying "ridiculous" in many of the boss fights, until it even annoyed me that I kept absent-mindedly saying it), but there weren't many places to visit or major events before it was over. Disc 1 seemed WAY longer.

Don't worry, for me Disc2 was the shortest. Disc3 has the least "story" but is packed with over 10 hours of optional stuff. :D :D

Bebpo

Banned
vireland said:

Disc 2 might be a little shorter, but I think that's mainly because by disc 2 you're enjoying the game twice as much so it zooms by real quick. Plus there's a nice length optional sidequest that opens up on disc 2 and if you do that disc 2 is as long as disc 1 in playtime :D

duckroll

The official site has updated to clarify next week's DLC. Apparently it will just be some power-up parts for the Mechat ship in the game. That sounds really disappointing because I was kinda expecting a new Mechat stage or something. Having already completed all the Mechat Shooting areas this makes it totally useless. :(

thorns

Banned
I'm not usually into jRPGs, but I'm really enjoying FF V Advance at the moment, and people are saying this is similar? I could definately see myself buying this in that case.

Jonnyram

duckroll said:
The official site has updated to clarify next week's DLC. Apparently it will just be some power-up parts for the Mechat ship in the game. That sounds really disappointing because I was kinda expecting a new Mechat stage or something. Having already completed all the Mechat Shooting areas this makes it totally useless. :(
Hmm, I wonder if these will affect the Item Zukan achievement... I still the last two mechat events to do, though.

Tarazet

I plunked down the $40 for the imported double-disc soundtrack and listened through it today. It is gorgeous. I have insanely high standards when it comes to orchestrated music, but this is just great - endlessly creative use of instruments and digitized sounds, memorable themes, and a kind of inspired drama that makes me recall the music from FF7. The quality of sound is a cut above, too - it only sounds like MIDI if Uematsu wanted it to sound like MIDI.

sonarrat said:
I plunked down the $40 for the imported double-disc soundtrack and listened through it today. It is gorgeous. I have insanely high standards when it comes to orchestrated music, but this is just great - endlessly creative use of instruments and digitized sounds, memorable themes, and a kind of inspired drama that makes me recall the music from FF7. The quality of sound is a cut above, too - it only sounds like MIDI if Uematsu wanted it to sound like MIDI.

I mentioned FF7 also when I was telling a friend about it... *nodnod* I was sad it was only two discs but at the same time, very happy that I liked it that much.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I finally started playing again now that I can't play Crackdown anymore, and I'm already stuck.
I'm out of the green village, found the bridge in the north but it doesn't seem to go anywhere. What am I supposed to do? I didn't find a way east either.

Top Bottom