• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Eric WK

70 minutes in and I'm a big, big fan so far.

Oh and the first GameStop I went to only had enough copies to cover preorders so I had to go to another one. I really hope this game sells well.

Does anyone (TRU, Best Buy, Target, Circuit City, Costco, Walmart, etc.
) have an in-store sale on the US release of this game? Naturally assumed it was $50 and I'm just not going to pay $60 for very many games this gen.

Eric WK said:
I really hope this game sells well.
Between bad reviews, zero marketing and the loss of hype MS should be happy to sell 100-150,000 copies of BD (with 200K maybe being very optimistic). No reason they couldn't easily do better though.

·feist· said:
) have an in-store sale on the US release of this game? Naturally assumed it was $50 and I'm just not going to pay $60 for very many games this gen.

Not even a game with a flapjack stack of three tracks of wax?

u_neek

Just found an awesome place to level up!

Not really a spoiler but I tagged it just in case:
The Underground River! Defeat lots of thos Kelolons (or whatever they're called)! They come in big numbers, are really easy to defeat and will give you loads of exp. Just use Ground on them and they'll all fall. They keep popping up so you can do this for as long as you want

Eric WK

·feist· said:

Will this help?

4tt0cxe.png

·feist· said:

Its $60, even though EB had the $50 sticker :(. This helps though

4tt0cxe.png

Got 10% total order plus another 20% off(w/ EDGE card) the strategy guide. Came up to under $70.

Thanks for the coupon Eric & Masta_Killah, but I may still have to wait a bit. Just bought some 2006 releases (still no Bioshock) that I want to play through. RPG wise, Oblivion and a number of PS2 & GC games are also staring at me unplayed/unfinished.

Nolan.

u_neek said:
Just found an awesome place to level up!

Not really a spoiler but I tagged it just in case:
The Underground River! Defeat lots of thos Kelolons (or whatever they're called)! They come in big numbers, are really easy to defeat and will give you loads of exp. Just use Ground on them and they'll all fall. They keep popping up so you can do this for as long as you want

Yup!. I did the same thing. Also what I did was bring the lower classes up to scratch so now everyone can at least do lower level healing and offensive magic. Also another thing I really find charming about this game is the names for the magic. Don't know if magic names are spoilers but ill tag them anyway
Flara, Flarus, Zephyr, Zephyrous (sp?), Ressurection (really good skill by the way), Trapfloora etc
. Though others just don't sound too inventive. Another good place is the open field near Marumaro's village because you can just run around and round them up.

u_neek

Does anybody know a place where I can get the 10 monster achievement? I'm guessing you have to fight 10 monsters in the same round? Could be a monster fight?

C4Lukins

I just picked it up. Now I am debating whether or not I should finish Bioshock first, or just start with the Blue Dragon. Oh hell, I need to at least try it.

I'm enjoying it but the easyness of it is beyond belief. So easy in fact I'm finding it hard to carry on really. As I said right now though Iam enjoying it.

widgetraf

Lonesome_Raod said:
I'm enjoying it but the easyness of it is beyond belief. So easy in fact I'm finding it hard to carry on really. As I said right now though Iam enjoying it.

I thought this game was supposed to be hard?

Bebpo

Banned
widgetraf said:
I thought this game was supposed to be hard?

It's an Jrpg aimed at Xbox fans who have never played a jrpg in their life

So in other words, it's easy. Though Trusty Bell is about 100x easier.

widgetraf

Bebpo said:
It's an Jrpg aimed at Xbox fans who have never played a jrpg in their life

So in other words, it's easy. Though Trusty Bell is about 100x easier.

Yeah, the ES demo was too easy for me. I was expecting this to be a little on the difficult side though - I though Gooch said he wanted to give it a retro feel.

Bebpo

Banned
Rummy Bunnz said:
Is Hard not available from the start? If not why the hell did they put it in the demo?

Ok, here's the unconfirmed deal with hard mode

It SEEMS from what I've read about the US version that it is the Japanese version 1.0 in English. After the Japanese 1.0 came out on disc, you could later download a FREE DLC that added hard and super hard difficulty, new game+, and a few other things.

From what I've read it seems like this DLC will come to the US, like it did to Japan, and therefore it's not included on the disc. Also someone mentioned that you could download the Asia DLC and it would work on the US game? So you might want to try that.

Quazar

Bebpo said:
Ok, here's the unconfirmed deal with hard mode

It SEEMS from what I've read about the US version that it is the Japanese version 1.0 in English. After the Japanese 1.0 came out on disc, you could later download a FREE DLC that added hard and super hard difficulty, new game+, and a few other things.

From what I've read it seems like this DLC will come to the US, like it did to Japan, and therefore it's not included on the disc. Also someone mentioned that you could download the Asia DLC and it would work on the US game? So you might want to try that.

MS fucked up somewhere than. Cause I could of sworn GIs BD cover issue someone from MS said BD will come with DLC from Japan. Did they charge for this DLC in Japan Bebpo?

hyp said:
thanks bebpo

:lol

Huhhh. That's pretty ghetto. I guess I'll make an Asian account. Or put off opening it for a few days, cuz I really shouldn't have bought this since I haven't finished Persona 3.

Thanks, Bebpo!

Snaku

Banned
I'm about an hour & a half in, and I'm at the
Sheep Tribe Camp
. So far this game is living up and exceeding my expectations, and has managed to rip me away from my Metroid Prime 3 lovefest. The opening was really fun and engaging, the music is enchanting, and Akira Toriyama's art has been brought to breathtaking life with some of the most remarkable graphics I've seen in gaming. I'm also really digging the battle engine, and the MONSTER FIGHT! is awesome. :D

If I didn't have class in about 30 minutes, there's no way I would have stopped. Damn college! ;)

widgetraf

Im confused. So for the US version, is the default difficulty "easy" relative to the Japanese version? And If i wanted to play the default Japanese version, I would have to select "hard" on the US version? Then, DLC will come unlocking Japan's hard and very hard modes?

I guess Japan's hard and very hard modes will be called very hard and super hard repsectively. Or something like that?

Can I play this on hard right off the box without having to download anything?

painey

BenjaminBirdie said:
Not rewarding as in lame spells to level up to or lame environments to discover or...?

not rewarding as in no real story, insanely easy so you never feel like you earned your victory and achievements heavily stacked towards end game. If ive got a few hours to play id rather have a burst of something like pro evo or guitar hero where there is alot of reward

Roxas

christ is it really that hard just to implement the hard mode into the game without downloading it. They've had what...8-9 months to do it?

just started the game. The subtitles are all wonky. They don't synchronize with the audio very well. Before I continue, should I just restart and play the game in English, or should I stick with the Japanese dub(different meanings,etc.)?

Edit: hmm, seems the audio and subs are syncing now. Immediate impression- very old school in look, feel, and story. Seems like a very light hearted adventure. Seems like the classic "kids get out of small village and discover the world" type deal. But the level of production is pretty high, almost feels like Im in an anime. The art is fantastic so far, as Toriyama's design oozes out unto the screen in HD. There seems to be some mild tearing in the cutscenes though. But for a game that came out last year, it still holds up beautifully. The music is pretty good, classic Uematsu. Only played for 30 minutes so far, but so far its good.

Just finished the game :D

Some real nice story towards the finale + a puzzle dungeon + some hard fights(not really if you used the sp leveling technique i posted on the previous page but at least some harder enemies).

Overall a damn enjoyable jrpg on the 360 and totally worth playing.

Now bring on Eternal Sonata and Mass Effect, couple of days off then I'm ready to save the world again.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Snaku said:
I'm about an hour & a half in, and I'm at the
Sheep Tribe Camp
. So far this game is living up and exceeding my expectations, and has managed to rip me away from my Metroid Prime 3 lovefest. The opening was really fun and engaging, the music is enchanting, and Akira Toriyama's art has been brought to breathtaking life with some of the most remarkable graphics I've seen in gaming. I'm also really digging the battle engine, and the MONSTER FIGHT! is awesome. :D

If I didn't have class in about 30 minutes, there's no way I would have stopped. Damn college! ;)

That's really encouraging. I'm glad you feel that way because it pushes me to buy the game earlier than I normally would.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
jakershaker said:

Some real nice story towards the finale + a puzzle dungeon + some hard fights(not really if you used the sp leveling technique i posted on the previous page but at least some harder enemies).

Now bring on Eternal Sonata and Mass Effect, couple of days off then I'm ready to save the world again.

What would you put it among the ranks of? Kingdom Hearts 2? Final Fantasy X-2?

dirtmonkey37 said:
What would you put it among the ranks of? Kingdom Hearts 2? Final Fantasy X-2?

Well I kind of hate the Kingdom Hearts series, more of adventure games imo, but FFX-2 is a pretty good comparison with BD. Not really a 'must-play' but if you have the time and like the genre it well made and will be fun for around 40 hours.

It never really clicks like most Final Fantasy games does, where you really care for the story and the characters but it's not the same epic kind of game. Wild Arms have a similar feel like Blue Dragon (and Skies of Arcadia though Skies does almost everything better), cliche story and lots of not important stuff in between, never anything really sinister going on. Even the bad guy is hard to hate because he isn't that super evil guy that makes you hate him.

And to be honest I'm kind of bored with 'last gen' and find it hard to play PS2 rpgs even if there are coming out better games for PS2 still. Blue Dragon is the best jrpg for next-gen consoles after all and if you ask me they're off to a good start.

For Mistwalker I say Lost Odyssey (is that what it's called?) just became much more interesting. BD shows that they can design and make a damn fine game on the 360, if they just add a better story to that and make the game more serious it can get AAA good.

*edit*

Just had to mention all the new stuff they bring to the table that is so great it will be hard to live without it in other rpgs. All those little functions like monsterbattle, attacksphere for engaging many enemies at once, field skills etc etc. Almost made it feel like a PC sometimes, that you actually had options how to play the game. Not just run around and wait for the next random encounter.

Bebpo

Banned
jakershaker said:

You should the sidequests if you haven't. They're all pretty great, especially the
dragon bosses

Bebpo said:
You should the sidequests if you haven't. They're all pretty great, especially the
dragon bosses

Did everything except that Bebpo. Did get 2 of them though, stumbled upon them and they died real easy.

Did the mechat parts, cubes, kelolon village, mechfortress and some other stuff. Everything was real fun too but should have been more *greedy*

Finally! Game bought. The game still wasn't on the store shelves when I went to pick it up at the store though. I had to ask them to get it out of the back.

Seriously, wtf. This is Seattle. You'd think there'd be MS ninjas all over the place making sure this shit was out already.

<nu>faust

picked up today and put 2 hours on it (couldn't play more because my wife came come early and demanded that puzzle fighter should be a priority ;( ). nostalgia might be clouding my judgement but i absolutely love the old-school feel of the game (i'm big ffv fan). also i knew this was a supposed to be a good looking game but, i didn't know it was this pretty. toriyama designs never looked better (imho))

OK. So far - the story is dumb as hell. It's Grandia level stupidity but it's still tolerable. The game however has been pretty fun so far. Surprisingly so. I guess with everyone complaining about how slow the game starts out I was expecting it to be a little arduous but I haven't found that to be the case at all. If you like traditional RPGs, then there's a lot to enjoy.

Graphically this game is simply awesome. Best looking 360 game out there, imo. And did they fix the v-sync issues with the final build? I'm not noticing any screen tearing.

goldenpp72

i'm enjoying myself a lot with it so far, if I didn't have to take care of shit i'd keep playing..

Gamespot gave it a 6, I just don't get it.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I hope this doesn't get overlooked by the public 'cause this really does seem like a quality game.

Yeah, it's a blast. Bolstered almost solely by its graphics, it's really quite an enjoyable experience. That's not downplaying it. The character design and animation are what make it so relentlessly charming. Everything about it is just completely gorgeous and adorable. And I haven't even met everyone yet!

I'm up to the Sheep Village just to save, but I'll probably go back out to the desert and level up all my Shadow Classes to 5 for each person. Because I am that insane when it comes to RPGs...

Yes. Beautiful and awesome old school RPG feelings.

mr stroke

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Best looking 360 game out there, imo. .

+1
this game just looks amazing...I hate to say it but its very "Pixar" sooooo clean and the depth of field blur effects are used very well....

Alex

goldenpp72 said:
i'm enjoying myself a lot with it so far, if I didn't have to take care of shit i'd keep playing..

Gamespot gave it a 6, I just don't get it.

I remember when they gave Monster Hunter a 5, I'd assume because they hate fun.

traveler

Not Wario
mr stroke said:
+1
this game just looks amazing...I hate to say it but its very "Pixar" sooooo clean and the depth of field blur effects are used very well....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO!!
NO!!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Top Bottom