• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Sysgen

Just got this just based on the graphics replys and also for the art.

What is the recommended language to choose? If I choose Japanese I assume I can get English subs. How's the english v/o? Haven't been following the thread so apologies if this question has been answered.

Cruceh

Banned
Sysgen said:
Just got this just based on the graphics replys and also for the art.

What is the recommended language to choose? If I choose Japanese I assume I can get English subs. How's the english v/o? Haven't been following the thread so apologies if this question has been answered.
English dub is dreadful. You only need to play the demo to realize that.

Sysgen

Cruceh said:
English dub is dreadful. You only need to play the demo to realize that.

Didn't touch the demo based on the demo impressions. I usually go for the J/P v/o's and I'll do the same here. Thanks.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Really enjoying this so far, but a quick question. Is it a good idea to start working on different classes from the beginning, or wait around until I actually need skills from certain classes? Also, how freaking long is it going to take to max out each class for each dragon? These achievements are rough.

yukoner

Bebpo said:
Ok, here's the unconfirmed deal with hard mode

It SEEMS from what I've read about the US version that it is the Japanese version 1.0 in English. After the Japanese 1.0 came out on disc, you could later download a FREE DLC that added hard and super hard difficulty, new game+, and a few other things.

From what I've read it seems like this DLC will come to the US, like it did to Japan, and therefore it's not included on the disc. Also someone mentioned that you could download the Asia DLC and it would work on the US game? So you might want to try that.

Yep, did this today.

Sign up for a new Hong Kong Silver account, and download the free DLC for Blue Dragon.

Start your game on hard.

I'm only about 2 hours in but the difficulty seems just about right, those fat rats and scorpions are both tough bastards, taking a good 6 or 7 hits each, and dealing around 20-30 in damage.

purgeface said:
Really enjoying this so far, but a quick question. Is it a good idea to start working on different classes from the beginning, or wait around until I actually need skills from certain classes? Also, how freaking long is it going to take to max out each class for each dragon? These achievements are rough.

Since I'm crazy, I'm bringing every dragon to 10 in all four classes.

Just finished the first boss and man the art design and annymation is just so amazing in this fucker.

yukoner

THe 6/10 scores really boggle my mind.

Are reviewers really that sick of JRPG's?

Mediocre FPS's like COD (EA versions) or The Darkness can get 8's or 9's all over the place, yet everyone slams an epic, beautiful game like this because it doesn't do enough to avoid 'mediocrity'?

Seems a little silly.

Sysgen

BenjaminBirdie said:
Just finished the first boss and man the art design and annymation is just so amazing in this fucker.

Played a bit and yea the graphics are basically why I bought it and they're amazing and worth the price of admission all by their lonesome. It may turn out that I may hate the game but I love looking at it.

purg3

slept with Malkin
BenjaminBirdie said:
Since I'm crazy, I'm bringing every dragon to 10 in all four classes.

Yeah, I absolutely love the look and style. It does a great job of really sucking you into the game.

Also, can you revisit earlier areas once you move on to the next disc? That would suck if I missed an item or enemy and be screwed out of the achievements.

Bebpo

Banned
purgeface said:
Also, can you revisit earlier areas once you move on to the next disc? That would suck if I missed an item or enemy and be screwed out of the achievements.

Yeah you can.

The only missable achievements are the QTEs or mini-games (including shooting segments)

goldenpp72

also what is a good way to handle poison? I cant find antidotes in the shops and posion kills you in like 3 seconds in the hub..

goldenpp72 said:
also what is a good way to handle poison? I cant find antidotes in the shops and posion kills you in like 3 seconds in the hub..

UGH seriously. I dipshittedly gave all of mine to that jackhole in the Sheep Village! (By the way, HOW GOOD DO THOSE SHEEP LOOK???)

Seriously, those sheep look so fucking good. Ratchet and Clank is busier and obviously has a lot more shit going on, but I swear, there are character designs and models in this game that look as good as CGI, with these adorable Sheep People (or "Sheeple") being the first example. I could talk to them all damn day.

purg3

slept with Malkin
goldenpp72 said:

I found a few in the field, also the 3rd area has a shop where you can buy them.

Wow, I'm really glad to see the positive impressions.

The reviews had me disheartened, but now I feel confident enough to pick this one up when I get paid in two days.

The last time I trusted GAF impressions over review scores was EDF 2017, and that turned out to be one of my favorite games ever, so I'll roll the dice again.

Jirotrom

yukoner said:
Yep, did this today.

Sign up for a new Hong Kong Silver account, and download the free DLC for Blue Dragon.

Start your game on hard.

I'm only about 2 hours in but the difficulty seems just about right, those fat rats and scorpions are both tough bastards, taking a good 6 or 7 hits each, and dealing around 20-30 in damage.
I've had a Japanese account... and I downloaded the free stuff today...it still doesn't give me the option of a HARD mode, where is it?

Tabris

Well I was going to get it even though I knew it would have a "light-hearted story" (ugh!) as a lot of different aspects of the game looked neat but all these reviews have turned me off.

Tabris said:
Well I was going to get it even though I knew it would have a "light-hearted story" (ugh!) as a lot of different aspects of the game looked neat but all these reviews have turned me off.

good to know you trust Gamespot more than gaf.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Bebpo said:
Yeah you can.

The only missable achievements are the QTEs or mini-games (including shooting segments)

Are there a lot of minigames and puzzles included in the main quest of Blue Dragon or are they simply few and far between...like many other RPGs?

I know there's a lot of exploration, exciting battles, and pretty machinations and works of architecture to admire --I just want to know if there's more to the minigames than just the on-rails shooting sequences (oh, and if there are puzzles, as I mentioned earlier).

BenjaminBirdie said:
You couldn't have told me that like a half hour ago? What level do get to unlock another set at?

:(

Every 10 levels.

I sadly didn't do it til like 20-25 hours because I assumed it'd be a crap job. Oops :p Live and learn.

clashfan

About 2 hours into the game and it's what I expected, a good solid jrpg. It's a really easy game to get into. While the gameplay maybe very traditional, I find the art style very charming.

Sysgen

I haven't played many JRPGs, a few though like Nocturne and FFX and when I run into new mechanics that I haven't seen it's cool. I had my first multi monster encounter and it was just way cool. I pulled RT and encircled multiple monster types and then selected to battle them all. :LOL on what followed.
One set of 2 killed off the other set of 3 and then I killed off the set of 2.

I've read the manual on the Class and skill systems but is there a post in this thread that sort of summarizes it? I'm not sure that I get it yet.

Snaku

Banned
I'm just got to Maru's village, after
Nene poisons everyone
. Really loving this game, especially Nene and Maru. The visuals and characters just ooze charm, the music is still wonderful, the class system & character customization is fun to play with, and I'm having trouble putting the controller down. If only I didn't need sleep. :lol

yukoner

goldenpp72 said:

There are lots of antidotes hidden under the large rocks that you can push over.

Also, you can steal them from the scorpions. If you unlock the assassin class you get Steal within a couple battles.

Tailzo

To those that feel the recent reviews have been average. The first two reviews I read, was from jeux-france.com (18/20) and Gamereactor from norway (9/10). For a jrpg fan like me, those reviews seems closer to what I'd say the game deserve than the 6.0-7.5 reviews. I really like the game so far, but I'm still on the first disc.

OniShiro

Banned
goldenpp72 said:

White magic class has the Poisona spell which removes poison, you can buy the spell at any of the spell shops.

Android18a said:
Guys, Learn generalist stuff early. You'll thank the +2-8 Skill slots soon enough.

Yeah, I just got my ass handed to me by the
Gotsu-Gotsu in the northern coast wilderness
. Now I have to go and grind to get my other shadow classes leveled up. Remember to level up your other shadow classes or else you'll get stuck.

I've read the manual on the Class and skill systems but is there a post in this thread that sort of summarizes it? I'm not sure that I get it yet.

Shadow Class= Job skill(Assassin, White mage, black mage,etc.)

Skill= you unlock skill when you earn sp through battle. When a fight is over, you gain sp, which counts downwards to 0. When it reaches 0, you gain a new skill. Then you have to go to the skill option in the menu screen and equip it. Once a skill is unlocked, it stays with you and doesn't get removed when you change Shadow Classes. Think FFV Job Skill.

Reason why you want to equip generalist first (should be one of your first choice in choosing a new Class) is because it unlocks skill slots. It'll be helpful when you want to equip more then 3-4 skills.

goldenpp72 said:
I keep getting my ass kicked by a dragon, does anyone have a recommendation for level?

target the horns with flare and only attack the horn, not the body. Also, you want your attackers to attack right after the spell is cast, so you'll need to rearrange the battle order through timed magic attacks.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
AM not sure what second job to give Maru, what the hell goes well with a Monk.

purgeface said:

You can divide the dragons into 2 classes, ranged and melee.

Swordmaster - Guardian - Assasin - Monk

Black magic - White magic - Support magic - Barrier magic

A character who has Swordmaster as his/hers main class doesnt need to level up any of the magic classes. Magic using shadows don't need the melee classes. I went with:

2xSwordmaster(Shu and Marumaru),1xAsassin(Zola),1xWhitemage(Jiro),1xBlackmage(Kluke)

The only class that everyone needs is the General class, which enables you to equip more accessories/skills. All your characters should get this one to somewhere around Rank 33-36 so they all get the [+Skill 8]. Then you can equip your dragons with more skills then you'll ever need :D

*edit*

Worsth saying again.

If you level up Barrier magic to Lv 50 you get [Field Barrier 3] which will give you free SP every time you run into a monster you've fought before.

Then you can level your shadows fast as hell.

Nolan.

jakershaker said:
You can divide the dragons into 2 classes, ranged and melee.

Swordmaster - Guardian - Assasin - Monk

Black magic - White magic - Support magic - Barrier magic

A character who has Swordmaster as his/hers main class doesnt need to level up any of the magic classes. Magic using shadows don't need the melee classes. I went with:

2xSwordmaster(Shu and Marumaru),1xAsassin(Zola),1xWhitemage(Jiro),1xBlackmage(Kluke)

The only class that everyone needs is the General class, which enables you to equip more accessories/skills. All your characters should get this one to somewhere around Rank 33-36 so they all get the [+Skill 8]. Then you can equip your dragons with more skills then you'll ever need :D

*edit*

Worsth saying again.

If you level up Barrier magic to Lv 50 you get [Field Barrier 3] which will give you free SP every time you run into a monster you've fought before.

Then you can level your shadows fast as hell.

Also I would add Zola would be another person thats a bit of a monster at swords master class. Especially if you switch her to it when killer bat learns double attacks and equip her skills to have the same points in other classes as in assassin. So far I find her, Marumaro and Shu to have the strongest physical attacks by far. I was wondering how long it would take the other classes to max out after taking a while to max out the first class. So i'm glad to know that you can get some easy sp from field barrier.

Masta_Killah said:
Yeah, I just got my ass handed to me by the
Gotsu-Gotsu in the northern coast wilderness
. Now I have to go and grind to get my other shadow classes leveled up. Remember to level up your other shadow classes or else you'll get stuck.

Shadow Class= Job skill(Assassin, White mage, black mage,etc.)

Skill= you unlock skill when you earn sp through battle. When a fight is over, you gain sp, which counts downwards to 0. When it reaches 0, you gain a new skill. Then you have to go to the skill option in the menu screen and equip it. Once a skill is unlocked, it stays with you and doesn't get removed when you change Shadow Classes. Think FFV Job Skill.

Reason why you want to equip generalist first (should be one of your first choice in choosing a new Class) is because it unlocks skill slots. It'll be helpful when you want to equip more then 3-4 skills.

target the horns with flare and only attack the horn, not the body. Also, you want your attackers to attack right after the spell is cast, so you'll need to rearrange the battle order through timed magic attacks.

I consciously kept on ignoring that class because the description didn't sound too appealing. Which made me think it would be slightly useless in battle.

PhatSaqs

Banned
clashfan said:
About 2 hours into the game and it's what I expected, a good solid jrpg. It's a really easy game to get into. While the gameplay maybe very traditional, I find the art style very charming.
Agreed. Im glad I picked it up. Seems like a throwback to what made me like JRPGs back in the day. Very nostalgic. The music is awesome as well IMO.

PhatSaqs said:
Agreed. Im glad I picked it up. Seems like a throwback to what made me like JRPGs back in the day. Very nostalgic. The music is awesome as well IMO.

Same. It's pretty much all I'd ever expect from a JRPG with the added bonus of being the most amazing looking game I've ever seen.

maru.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Ok people we need to talk about this. Maru maru is NOT a good guy, screaming all the time is just rude.

Top Bottom