• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

To be fair about marketing.....

I think that MS is banking on alot of cross-advertising Blue Dragon, Naturo, Eternal Sonata and other games. When I opened my copy of BD, included right beside the manual were inserts for Eternal Sonata and Naturo. I've also seen more online adverts for BD than I had lately.

I think once ES comes out, they'll probably cross-promote the heck out of both, as they'll get a decent bit of new X360 users.

Nolan.

Damn it!. I only just read the manual after finishing the game and realise how much better I could have organised my magic. I don't usually read manuals but only just found out that there is a double cast, berserker distress barrieretc (which I was always wondering why they never had it) just under another magic instead of black. Just makes me realise how great the game is alone based on the system it's just they never really made you use it to full effect outside of optional bosses. I really hope there's a next time because I really love the skill system.

Bowen_B

Banned
I'm up to that cowboy robot on hard, he one hit kills everyone in my party and is immune to most of my support magics; this may be the first time I have to grind in this game... Do you guys have any tips for beating him, I've never done the whole 'grinding' thing and I want to avoid it.

theguy

Without having to go through the entire thread, can anyone give me their honest opinion on this title and whether or not it's worthy of purchase? I'm a mad RPG fan, so maybe it's a no-brainer but I need an objective opinion, and the reviews are across the board, which leaves me scratching my head.

Are you a turn based RPG fan? If so, it's definately a must have. The game is very by-the book in terms of content (the gameplay doesn't stray very far from Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest), but the fact is, to me, it's just as good as any FF or DQ I've ever played.

However, it has the obvious advantage of being truely next gen, as the visuals are just near flawless. To me, it's like playing Dragon Quest VIII HD.

The reviews are all over the place, because the poor reviewers dock major points for it being a rip off of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, where as the high scores are given because it's a very good polished ripoff of FF and DQ.

So I say it's a must have. I'm 11hrs into Blue Dragon, and supposedly just halfway through the first disk.

PhatSaqs

Banned
driley said:
Without having to go through the entire thread, can anyone give me their honest opinion on this title and whether or not it's worthy of purchase? I'm a mad RPG fan, so maybe it's a no-brainer but I need an objective opinion, and the reviews are across the board, which leaves me scratching my head.
If you're lookin for the next revolution in JRPGs look elsewhere. If you're up for a solid JRPG with all the basics of those of the past covered in next-gen graphical candy along with a kickass soundtrack than it's indeed a no-brainer.

Nolan.

driley said:

I'd say get it you can read my impressions of it if you like.

Anyway does anyone know where you can get the soundtrack because That ''tears'' song ...I want to hear it again and in full.

driley said:

It's really REALLY fun and absolutely gorgeous. It's got very little pathos (well, so far) and ascribed tightly to the homespun farmboy adventure tale, and, if you ask me, is much the better for it. I'd recommend it if you do indeed love RPGs.

driley said:

Critics are "across the board" about it....because most critics aren't into what the title is offering (and they're probably burnt out with the genre anyway)

....most GAFers in this thread are unanimous in its praise....and nowadays I hold that opinion in alot more higher regard

...seriously, pick it up if you like RPGs

I'd say its a definiate buy if your particuarly into 16bit era style and want something that is a great big homage to it....especially if you loved Chrono Trigger

I'm sure most people who have the retail version will agree its worth the money to buy it. I got it four days ago and have already packed in 31 hours, I love it. Theres a few parts where the game drags along a bit and the framerate drops every now and then, but nothing major.

It's especially worth it if you have an HDTV, the graphics are incredible.

Sysgen

driley said:

What they ^^^ said and since you're not going to read the entire thread, for an RPG veteran like yourself get the harder difficulty via dlc. I would like to start over on hard but I can't so I will have to play it through again. I'm almost through the first disk and am still amazed at some of the visuals I'm seeing. There are points in the game where I cannot distinguish between the game and CGI sequences (or at least I think they're CGI - 3 dvds, right). Hell just for the tech, I would play it through anyway even if I didn't care for rpgs.

Sysgen said:
I'm almost through the first disk and am still amazed at some of the visuals I'm seeing.

You haven't seen anything yet. :D

Near the end of disc 3 has some of the best graphics I've ever seen, period.

theguy

Thanks to all of you for your positive feedback. I read somewhere that the only technical problems are some periodic frame rate issues but I can live with that.

I've clocked over 220 hours on Oblivion and desperately need something to get me out of that rut, so I'll pick up a copy of BD tonight.

painey

well I passed my driving theory test today so blue dragon was back in the drive and i just got to the scene where
you sink Nenes fortress ship
and the graphics as it happened actually made my jaw drop, it was just so crisp. Gunna have to re-do the shooting bit for the achievement though :D

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Has anyone had any issues using the Hard mode patch from HK? I'm probably going to get it tonight, but I just want to make sure there are no known glitches or whatnot with the region thing. Achievements work approprietly and such?

yukoner

Brandon F said:
Has anyone had any issues using the Hard mode patch from HK? I'm probably going to get it tonight, but I just want to make sure there are no known glitches or whatnot with the region thing. Achievements work approprietly and such?

It works perfectly.

Also, for people who already started on easy, you could start a "New Game+" which would start a new game with your current stats and you could just speed run through it until you're back where you left off.

Some things I noticed recently about Victory Animations.

1. Marumaro is much more excited than Zola when she wins.
2. I haven't tested this thoroughly but
is Jiro sad when Kluke has Shu's ring on?

Wow, to both.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
JeStaH said:
Just want to re-iterate how awesome this game is. I was expecting it to be mediocre based on reviews. I am more than pleasantly surprised!

I'm not an RPG player at all. The only RPG I've ever finished is the original Phantasy Star. I've tired playing other RPGs but usually get bored around the 4 hour mark. I hate grinding and usually not enough there to keep me intersted.

I just finished disc 1 and I'm about 19 hours in. The game has so much charm, the art and the graphics and attention to detail is amazing! The whole package really keeps you immersed and leaves me wanting to know what's coming next. I am getting the same goose bumpy feeling as I did when playing Phantasy Star.

I rented the game because I wanted to try it first to see if I would get bored like every RPG I have tried playing. I'm definately buying the game now.. :lol

Funny you say that... as the original Phantasy Star is definitely one of the more challenging and grind-heavy RPGs. No plans this weekend, so my goal is to marathon disk 2. Folks, would you say that the disks all average the same length (disk 1 took me about 16 hours).

goldenpp72

Hey, i've been trying to figure out how to make a hong kong XBL account, can someone link me to some directions or just pm/post them here?

Also.. is there a chance microsoft would add achievements to the DLC for our territory? I'm kinda torn.

besada

Banned
I just rented it. The music is purty. I like that you can control the kid in the opening credits. The water splashing is gorgeous.

Land shark? I immediately think of the old SNL skit and expect "Candygram" next. Now I'm playing some old dude.

Later: Shu sounds like Davey of Davey and Goliath fame. I may have to switch to Japanese voices. The three kids are killing the land shark. Boy are their cowardly parents lame.

Shu's got a potty mouth. And he's kinda a dick. He wakes up and wanders over to kick the Land Shark before he checks to see if Jiro and Kluke are alive.

JayDubya

Banned
Wait, so, this is just for future reference, but, if I wanted to play this on hard mode, in English, I could do so, but I couldn't download it off of American X-box live?

How would one do this?

Hard mode is a must for me to consider buying this game at any price. Normal mode is fine, I guess, if I'm only going to rent it.

Nolan. said:
I'd say get it you can read my impressions of it if you like.

Anyway does anyone know where you can get the soundtrack because That ''tears'' song ...I want to hear it again and in full.

Play-Asia for me... Blue Dragon SDTK

Side note: Holy crap! They have Slide Adventure: Mag Kid on sale for half off! Sweet, totally buying! (I'm a sucker for crazy games like that.)

Trevelyan

Banned
Quick question. I'm getting ready to give my PS3 a new companion, a 360, and this game will be one I pick up along with Bioshock. How is the world map in this game? Is it your standard overworld where you enter towns and dungeons? Is it like FFXII with zones? Or DQVIII and Wild Arms 5 with one huge, seamless world? Thanks.

3rdman

Trevelyan said:
Quick question. I'm getting ready to give my PS3 a new companion, a 360, and this game will be one I pick up along with Bioshock. How is the world map in this game? Is it your standard overworld where you enter towns and dungeons? Is it like FFXII with zones? Or DQVIII and Wild Arms 5 with one huge, seamless world? Thanks.
Thats my one big complaint...absolutely terrible mapping. There doesn't seem to be any way to see maps to the dungeons, the world map is bereft of any details (aside from warp points), and no automap feature so you don't double over the same area. I'm never sure if I've fully cleared a map or not...

Other than that, I'm quite pleased with it so far...just finished Disk 1.

JeStaH

djtiesto said:
Funny you say that... as the original Phantasy Star is definitely one of the more challenging and grind-heavy RPGs. No plans this weekend, so my goal is to marathon disk 2. Folks, would you say that the disks all average the same length (disk 1 took me about 16 hours).

Ya the original Phantasy Star wasn't easy. My brother and I stayed up all night several nights in a row playing the game. We would take turns playing while the other maps the dungeons on one of those grid papers ( I forget what they're actually called ) . I guess I don't mind grinding it out as long as the rewards are worth it.

On a side note, I think I have started to develop OCD in my old age. I can't stop searching every llittle freaking thing hoping to find goodies! By the time I got to the guy in Jibral I had 185 nothings!

I can't say enough how good this game looks. The lighting, textures and details are just sick sick sick. There are times when I feel like I'm controlling an CG movie. The production values are just off the charts!

Trevelyan said:

Good choice on picking this up. The world map is great; it's kind of a mix of Dragon Quest VIII and the older FF maps, to me. It's basic, but it's large, with many, many areas to explore; plus, it's not a cheap world map. It's not like FFXII's (thank God). It's not like DQ8's IN THE SENSE that it's seamless, but I still managed to get a DQ8 vibe just for how enormous the actual world is.

yukoner

goldenpp72 said:
Hey, i've been trying to figure out how to make a hong kong XBL account, can someone link me to some directions or just pm/post them here?

Also.. is there a chance microsoft would add achievements to the DLC for our territory? I'm kinda torn.

Just press the Quide button on your controller and sign out. Then press it again, and press Create Account.

Create a Windows Live Account, and select Hong Kong as your region, enter bogus info for everything else, and then select Xbox Silver at the end. Then you should be able to DL the Hard Mode now.

Takes maybe 3 or 4 minutes tops.

Sysgen

JeStaH said:
Ya the original Phantasy Star wasn't easy. My brother and I stayed up all night several nights in a row playing the game. We would take turns playing while the other maps the dungeons on one of those grid papers ( I forget what they're actually called ) . I guess I don't mind grinding it out as long as the rewards are worth it.

IIRC the PS Hintbook had all the maps.

On a side note, I think I have started to develop OCD in my old age. I can't stop searching every llittle freaking thing hoping to find goodies! By the time I got to the guy in Jibral I had 185 nothings!

heh, your OCD illness is trumped by a few here who had near or over 500 at that point.

I can't say enough how good this game looks. The lighting, textures and details are just sick sick sick. There are times when I feel like I'm controlling an CG movie. The production values are just off the charts!

Incredible isn't it. There are graphic issues that I don't like. I detest the depth of field effect. Why did they need to do this? There are environments that are bleh like the
dead
forest and when you hit them it's like a jolt since so much of the game is a graphical beast.

yukoner said:
It works perfectly.

Also, for people who already started on easy, you could start a "New Game+" which would start a new game with your current stats and you could just speed run through it until you're back where you left off.

That's nice to hear but I'd bet that your items and achievement stats don't carry over and that's an issue at least for me.

besada said:

Parts of the story should be in spoiler tags.

theultimo

McDragon said:
I've been listening to Eternity for about an hour now.

shit is awesome, need karaoke badly.
THIS IS THE BEGINNNNINNNNGGGG......

besada said:
just rented it. The music is purty. I like that you can control the kid in the opening credits. The water splashing is gorgeous.

Land shark? I immediately think of the old SNL skit and expect "Candygram" next. Now I'm playing some old dude.

Later: Shu sounds like Davey of Davey and Goliath fame. I may have to switch to Japanese voices. The three kids are killing the land shark. Boy are their cowardly parents lame.

Shu's got a potty mouth. And he's kinda a dick. He wakes up and wanders over to kick the Land Shark before he checks to see if Jiro and Kluke are alive.
Think of FFVIII's Squall growth, and you got Shu.

Sysgen said:
heh, your OCD illness is trumped by a few here who had near or over 500 at that point.

Seriously. That accessoriesx2-4 skill finally becomes handy once you get to the castle. One of my guys jumped up nearly 400 hp once I equiped him with 2 belts.

Also, those nothings become really helpful later on, when you get some pretty rare accessories
ribbon
for your ocd. Oh, and I had 480+ nothings by that point(~700 after going into the castle the first time).

Diablos

Ok... but what's the story like? Is it as simplistic as, say, DQ8's? Because while DQ8 had a really simple story I still enjoyed it. Or is it even more simplistic than that?

Diablos said:
Ok... but what's the story like? Is it as simplistic as, say, DQ8's? Because while DQ8 had a really simple story I still enjoyed it. Or is it even more simplistic than that?

Haven't plaed DQ8 yet, but from all the jrpg's that I've played, this is probably one of the simpliest. If I had to compare the story, I'd say its kinda like Earthbound, except simplier. Basic-country-bumkin-goes-on-a-grand-adventure-to-save-his-village-and-along-the-way-meets-new-friends-with-similar-tragedies.

Darkman M

Diablos said:

Yeah the story for this game is very simple, just like Dragon Quest VIII although i felt Dragon Quest VIII story had a bit more direction.

C4Lukins

I am having a blast with this game now. It took a good 5 hours for it to get going, but the last couple have been great. The battle system is getting more complex, the story is moving along, I am really enjoying it.

Just got 2 hours into disc 3. I'm loving it all, still! And I liked the plot twist. but ...
did they REALLY get their dragons back because of 'their heart?" Seriously?? =\ Or no and should I wait and see for the rest of the plot to flesh out?

driley said:

It's a beautiful airhead.

Diablos

Masta_Killah said:
Haven't plaed DQ8 yet, but from all the jrpg's that I've played, this is probably one of the simpliest. If I had to compare the story, I'd say its kinda like Earthbound, except simplier. Basic-country-bumkin-goes-on-a-grand-adventure-to-save-his-village-and-along-the-way-meets-new-friends-with-similar-tragedies.
Hmm.

I'm just curious to see how simple it really is. The way 1up put it was so very harsh that I figured they were just being snobby about it. Simplistic is good, but not the point where all of the details are saved for the final moments of the game, considering Blue Dragon takes, what, at least 50-60 hours?

Dragon Quest VIII has a simple story, but in a good way. It's still paced out pretty decently for being kind of hollow, thus making it rather enjoyable at times.

Darkman M

Diablos said:
Hmm.

I'm just curious to see how simple it really is. The way 1up put it was so very harsh that I figured they were just being snobby about it. Simplistic is good, but not the point where all of the details are saved for the final moments of the game, considering Blue Dragon takes, what, at least 50-60 hours
?

Dragon Quest VIII has a simple story, but in a good way. It's still paced out pretty decently for being kind of hollow, thus making it rather enjoyable at times.

If you go straight through it around 40-50 hours would be accurate, if you want to take on some of the secret bosses your gonna need to grind which im currently doing. I got a fetish for maxing my characters out in jrpg's anyways. Im about 80' hours in working on getting all my classes and levels to max.

You sound like you've played through quite a few rpg's so you wont have any problems running through blue dragon,but if you want a challenge take on some of the secret bosses.

C4Lukins

Diablos said:
Hmm.

I'm just curious to see how simple it really is. The way 1up put it was so very harsh that I figured they were just being snobby about it. Simplistic is good, but not the point where all of the details are saved for the final moments of the game, considering Blue Dragon takes, what, at least 50-60 hours?

To compare it to DQ8, and as a disclaimer, I only made it about 20 hours through that game. It has that same 2 hours of cutscenes, and simplistic attack/ heal one or two choices at the begining. But it quickly gets to the customization phase, and the battle system becomes a lot more complicated and interesting a lot faster then it did in DQ8.

Blue Dragon also starts out appearing a lot more linear then DQ8, but it opens up signifigantly around the 5th hour, moreso then I ever saw DQ8 do. It has not required any grinding through the first 6 or 7 hours which is good or bad depending on your perspective. If you simply search every corner and check every chest, you will be good to go.

So to give my very early review. I would not put it up there with the best of the Final Fantasy series, but imo it is far superior to DQ8 thus far. The visuals are more charming, the battle system is superior, the lacking story is still better then a jester reeking havoc on a kingdom, and time flies while you play it.

Diablos said:
Hmm.

OK, well, I beat DQ8 (60 hours, good lord) and I'm on disc 3 of Blue Dragon at 30 hours just about. So, let me give you a basic compare-and-contrast:

OK, the characters are FAR, FAR superior in DQ8. There is just no competition with that. DQ8's story is also a lot better; it's simple, but it's told terribly well and still provides us with some good twists and cool new things here and there. Blue Dragon is much more basic and predictable; it's an ordinary tale of a bad guy doing bad stuff to good people, and good people trying to stop it. the actual plot isn't something to write home about, but for some reason, it makes you keep going. the cinematic appeal and the many evil things the evil-doer does makes you want to continue. like DQ8, each town has its own problem, and in BD you're required to make it all better, just like DQ8.

As for the other things, I think BD artistically has a much greater world, by far. It's a very unique-looking place. The music is better in BD than DQ8, to me; it's one of Uematsu's best. The gameplay is tradtional, but done very well in a traditional sense. It's easy--very easy--but enjoyable, and the end seems to provide some somewhat-challenging encounters and tasks.

I can't say it's better than DQ8 (I'm really not sure yet; I still have some hours to go), but Blue Dragon isn't far behind it. It's a great game, and as long as you can handle the oftentimes predictable plot, then you'll have a blast to play through BD's strengths: its gameplay (dungeon design, battles, world map), music, art direction, graphics, and sense of enjoyment.

Whee, I finally got the Dragon Bracelet, after resurfacing my disc and being able to play it again ;D

Now to try mop up those shadow rank achievements...

I really hate the "Love story" in this game. I just got to the part where Shu and Jiro are talking about how much they LIKE LIKE Kluke on disc 2 in the green barrier village, awful stuff.

Top Bottom