• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

yukoner

Masta_Killah said:
Your about 1/2 through. Prepare to laugh and smile when you get back to town. ;)

Wow, only half way? I'm already at 10 hours in!

I'm just at that King Ghost boss, around lvl 18, but he kicks my ass on Hard mode.

I can nearly take him, probably racked up a good 3000damage before dying, but then he pulls that Ground Shock BS out of his ass, twice in a row, and devastates the party. Anyone know how much HP this guy is packin?

It seems hard mode really adds alot of length/grinding to the game (which is good), I'm already 10 hours in, and this is the second point I've been stuck and had to grind it out 4headed serpent was the first, and now it looks as though I've got to put in another hour or so to beat this guy.

The nice thing about the grind is that yopu're never too far off. It's like they finetuned it really really well. It never takes more than 2 or 3 levels and your able to defeat whoever was previously kicking your ass.

I'm loving this game so far, and apparently at the boringest part of the game, which means the rest must be pretty damned impressive.

The reviewers were officially smoking crack when it comes to blue dragon, how do you not love this game!?

yukoner said:
Wow, only half way? I'm already at 10 hours in!

I'm just at that King Ghost boss, around lvl 18, but he kicks my ass on Hard mode.

I can nearly take him, probably racked up a good 3000damage before dying, but then he pulls that Ground Shock BS out of his ass, twice in a row, and devastates the party. Anyone know how much HP this guy is packin?

It seems hard mode really adds alot of length/grinding to the game (which is good), I'm already 10 hours in, and this is the second point I've been stuck and had to grind it out 4headed serpent was the first, and now it looks as though I've got to put in another hour or so to beat this guy.

The nice thing about the grind is that yopu're never too far off. It's like they finetuned it really really well. It never takes more than 2 or 3 levels and your able to defeat whoever was previously kicking your ass.

I'm loving this game so far, and apparently at the boringest part of the game, which means the rest must be pretty damned impressive.

The reviewers were officially smoking crack when it comes to blue dragon, how do you not love this game!?

Nice to see that your enjoying it. Since you dl'd the hardmode, can you switch it to normal in-game, or do you have to set your preference before the game starts? People here have been asking, but no one has answered the question.

Anyways, hopefully I can finish the 1st disk tonite(damn work!). 30 hrs in and just barely starting the
castle battle portion

Edit: To beat the boss, have two fighters in the front, two magic users in the back. One magic user cast heal and physical/magic barriers to the front two; the other magic user cast fire/light(I think that's its weakness) and should be your secondary healer. When the boss raises his staff, attack that, not the boss. Maru should be charge sword attacking to max, while Shu should be attacking with flara/light sword attacks.

Is there any parts or bosses you guys would like recorded and captured for my youtube gameplay page? I'm playing through the game and just started ( posted the intro/impressions so far) and if anyone has anything they can mention to me that they would want captured, now is the time. I know the game is long so it might take me awhile but just shooting this out there.

Baker

Banned
I put 10+ hours into this over the weekend (rental). I got up to the save point after Mural Valley when you see
the townsfolk haven't made it there yet

All in all, I had a pretty meh experience. I played and played but didn't really feel any sense of accomplishment or intrigue. Does the game/story get any better later on?

I'm about 30 hours in at this point (early in the 2nd disk) and I'm liking the game for the most part. The job system is addictive, the graphics are amazing, Marumaro is fantastic (Japanese voice acting ftw), and I love engaging enemies on the field, but the game has no challenge. Up to this point in the game, you could easily win every battle with your eyes closed.

The battle system is so damn good, but I feel as if it is getting wasted because you never truly need to utilize all of the system's features. You rarely need to heal at all, and it's impossible to run out of mana. If the game was more challenging, I wouldn't have any major issues with it. The job system in Blue Dragon is even better than in FFV or FFT because all of the jobs are useful, and being able to equip many different skills is a huge plus. It's a crime that hard mode was not included in the US version. Does the game ever get more difficult?

yukoner

Masta_Killah said:
Nice to see that your enjoying it. Since you dl'd the hardmode, can you switch it to normal in-game, or do you have to set your preference before the game starts? People here have been asking, but no one has answered the question.

Anyways, hopefully I can finish the 1st disk tonite(damn work!). 30 hrs in and just barely starting the
castle battle portion

Edit: To beat the boss, have two fighters in the front, two magic users in the back. One magic user cast heal and physical/magic barriers to the front two; the other magic user cast fire/light(I think that's its weakness) and should be your secondary healer. When the boss raises his staff, attack that, not the boss. Maru should be charge sword attacking to max, while Shu should be attacking with flara/light sword attacks.

Ya it's a great game. As for changing difficulty, as far as I can tell you can't.

I've spent a good 10 minutes looking for it in the menu's etc, and there seems to be no way.

For the boss, that's essentially what I'm doing. I have Shu/Maru in the front, they're both Monk's, and use a charged Magic Sword, Shine is it's weakness and Shu's Shine Sword is the best attack by far, 200-400 damage depending on the charge/critical hit.

Then in the back I have two healers, with both Black and Barrier magic.

And I do hit him in teh Crown when he starts charging to block the summon, but then he just comes back with Ground Shock.

Problem is the Ground Shock is just too powerful, it usually kills Kluke or Jiro in one hit doing 180+ damage, sometimes it kills them both. This isn't even so bad, I can recover from it fairly quickly, but sometimes he does this twice in a row, which pretty much ends the fight.

Maybe I'll try giving my best magic defence accessories to Kluke and Jiro, rather tha Shu and Maru. I have two accesories that will give 50% ground protection, and maybe if I use it on my magic healers they'll be able withstand the groundshock, my fighters already have high HP so they probably don't need it so much....

Or I'll just grind it out :)

yukoner

Baker said:
I played and played but didn't really feel any sense of accomplishment or intrigue.

I think they really shot themselves in the foot with the default difficulty. I don't think I'd be enjoying this game nearly as much if there wasn't a good challenge involved.

For what it's worth, it seems someone did an excellent job of tuning Hard mode.

It's absolutely ridiculous that they didn't include it in the US version though.

When will they stop type-casting Xbox players as JRPG moron's, and just give them a nice challenging game?

yukoner said:
Ya it's a great game. As for changing difficulty, as far as I can tell you can't.

I've spent a good 10 minutes looking for it in the menu's etc, and there seems to be no way.

Thanx for checking. Damn, I guess its normal(easy) for the rest of the game for me. Oh well, the game would have become easy anyways(like most jrpgs) once you exploit the system. At least I wont have to grind constantly. :D

yukoner

Question: Are barrier spells stackable?? And how long do they last??

I'm thinking I may be able to beat this King Ghost by allowing him to summon, and then casting Shell a bunch of times on my weaker characters while fighting the weaker enemies.

Currently Shell only gives me around 20% protection though, so I need to know if I can stack it multiple times, and how long it lasts...

At least I wont have to grind constantly.

Hey, I've only had to grind TWICE!! :D

yukoner said:
I think they really shot themselves in the foot with the default difficulty. I don't think I'd be enjoying this game nearly as much if there wasn't a good challenge involved.

For what it's worth, it seems someone did an excellent job of tuning Hard mode.

It's absolutely ridiculous that they didn't include it in the US version though.

When will they stop type-casting Xbox players as JRPG moron's, and just give them a nice challenging game?

Yea it sucks that they made the game so nOOb friendly, but it was said that BD was made to introduce xbox players to jrpgs. Hopefully, BD2, LO, and Cry-On are a bit more challenging.

There's still no excuse for having hard mode in the demo, and not in the retail version. And even if the game is made for RPJ noobs, that doesn't mean they can't give us a choice to increase the difficulty. They really dropped the ball here.

yukoner said:
Question: Are barrier spells stackable?? And how long do they last??

I'm thinking I may be able to beat this King Ghost by allowing him to summon, and then casting Shell a bunch of times on my weaker characters while fighting the weaker enemies.

Currently Shell only gives me around 20% protection though, so I need to know if I can stack it multiple times, and how long it lasts...

Just want to say I love King Ghost's design.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Wait,..................did someone say you have to download hard mode for the US version?

Yup. They made it a dl after people complained it was too easy. Create a Hong Kong account and you should be able to dl it for free. I tried my japanese account, but for some reason it didn't work(was able to dl, but the option for difficulty didn't come up).

If you want a challenge, yet aren't able to dl hard mode, play the game without leveling generalist constantly. You'll get your ass handed to you pretty easily.

sankao

I am interested in this game and currently wondering whether I should buy it or not.
I have a simple question. Do you feel free in this game ?

Because I am also considering buying Eternal Sonata, but the demo gave me the feeling that I was on track. Blue Dragon demo was only dungeons, not really representative as well.

yukoner

sankao said:
I am interested in this game and currently wondering whether I should buy it or not.

Because I am also considering buying Eternal Sonata, but the demo gave me the feeling that I was on track. Blue Dragon demo was only dungeons, not really representative as well.

From what I understand, once you get the airship, the entire game wrld opens up, and you are very free to do whatever you want (including getting your ass whooped by stumbling into the wrong dungeon)

sankao said:

Think FF when playing this game. There is more freedom then Eternal Sonata(google tri-crescendo to see what games they've made), since the open world allows you to run around, but it isn't a free roaming rpg like Oblivion. Once your in a dungeon/level map, you're set on a path that takes you to from point a to b. Basically your cookie cutter, tradtional jrpg.

sankao

Masta_Killah said:
Think FF when playing this game. There is more freedom then Eternal Sonata(google tri-crescendo to see what games they've made), since the open world allows you to run around, but it isn't a free roaming rpg like Oblivion. Once your in a dungeon/level map, you're set on a path that takes you to from point a to b. Basically your cookie cutter, tradtional jrpg.

Don't laugh, but I haven't played any Final Fantasy. Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana are the closest I have played. Does it feel like Chrono Trigger ?

Jube3

sankao said:
Don't laugh, but I haven't played any Final Fantasy. Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana are the closest I have played. Does it feel like Chrono Trigger ?

My experience in jrpgs isnt vast, but this game reminds me so much of grandia 2. From the combat to the style, i am really loving this game. The reviews have me taken a back a little, like igns mini review said the first 15 hours were a snoozefest but im having a blast so far. I must be in for a real treat. This game isn't incredibly original or anything like that, but man its so old school it really brings back good feelings of RPG's i did love. Some of the visuals in this game so far are just so damn cool looking,
Deezus village
looked awesome.

my location at the moment.
I just arrived back at talto village and am about to head off to the castle.

sankao said:

In freedom/dungeon pathways, yes(to a degree). FF6/Chrono Trigger can be felt in BD(story not so much).

Brashnir said:
I don't think I've had to talk to everyone in a village a single time. Perhaps you're just not very good at identifying the people you're supposed to be talking to.

Off the top of my head an example is the the Talta Village encampment right before you escourt the wagon train.

sankao said:

- You're able to establish warp points fairly early in the game, which you can freely then use at any time to return to places you've already visited.

- In general, the overland areas are mid-sized with the terrain walling them off from one another and passes connecting them. The passes contain mazes or villages.

- There aren't many optional areas so wandering off the beaten path and exploring isn't very rewarding.

So it's a mixed bag. You can travel pretty freely but there aren't many optional things to discover. On the flip side, most mazes and villages contain treasure chests that you can't open until later on so there's an incentive for obsessives and the loot happy to revisit areas.

Masta_Killah said:
Yup. They made it a dl after people complained it was too easy. Create a Hong Kong account and you should be able to dl it for free. I tried my japanese account, but for some reason it didn't work(was able to dl, but the option for difficulty didn't come up).

If you want a challenge, yet aren't able to dl hard mode, play the game without leveling generalist constantly. You'll get your ass handed to you pretty easily.

Can't i just download it with a US account?

yukoner

Masta_Killah said:
Not available in the US/N American market. Only available in Japan and Asia.

To me, it's pretty indicitave of how MS has hung this title out to dry in the US.

No marketing campaign to speak of, only print and website ads. No TV spots at all.

And they can't even be bothered to take the FREE DLC from other regions, and make it available in the US marketplace?

For a 1st party title!?

It's a little ridiculous to say the least.

Danielsan

Does anyone know if Microsoft is even going to bother putting up the Blue Dragon DLC for Europe and the U.S? I really don't get why the bloody stuff wasn't up from the start. Apparently the Asian dlc works perfectly with the PAL and US game so why don't they just bloody put it up already..

yukoner said:
To me, it's pretty indicitave of how MS has hung this title out to dry in the US.

No marketing campaign to speak of, only print and website ads. No TV spots at all.

And they can't even be bothered to take the FREE DLC from other regions, and make it available in the US marketplace?

For a 1st party title!?

It's a little ridiculous to say the least.

Yeah. MS spent all this money funding the development of the game, and now they don't even bother trying to market it. If I hadn't been following the game for so long, I wouldn't even know it's out right now.

i have items that allow me to destroy the red/black..etc barrier but i don't know where to use them. Someone can help ?

Also, where is this "ancien cavern" where we can find this king snake poo ?

Diablos

1up basically says this game has no story until the end, and you just run around having no idea what's going on.

I find this hard to believe.

soco

Diablos said:
1up basically says this game has no story until the end, and you just run around having no idea what's going on.

believe!

i've known what i was doing from the start. it's not gonna win any awards but there is a story there. if you miss it, your start button is broken.

Diablos said:

You always know where you're going and why, but there is not much of a story. There are some interesting story questions that linger throughout the game however, and they will hold your interest somewhat. It's not a story heavy game, but at least it doesn't try too hard and fail miserably. 1UP and others have been very critical of the characters (especially Marumaro) but I actually find them all to be likable. Then again, I'm playing with Japanese voice actors, and I think that helps a lot.

GreekWolf

vspectra06 said:
Yeah. MS spent all this money funding the development of the game, and now they don't even bother trying to market it. If I hadn't been following the game for so long, I wouldn't even know it's out right now.
I'm thinking that when they caught wind of what EGM and some of the other high-profile US mags were gonna tag it with, they opted to pull the plug and shift those marketing dollars towards Mass Erect... er Effect.

Now if they do the same thing when Lost Odyssey rolls around, then we has mucho problemos.

Surfheart

This game is awesome!

I've just made it to Jibral Castle and I've loved every minute of it so far.

The graphics are beautiful, the combat/skill system is very interesting and I even don't mind the story so much - some really nice little touches and attention to detail here and there as well.

Not sure wtf is going on with the reviews for this.

goldenpp72 said:
They might be banking on hardcore buyers for now and maybe shifting advertising on tv to holidays.. but thats unlikely :(

I think the guy above nailed it: Mass Effect is going to be their biggie for advertising this year. I still have a hard time believing Lost Odyssey will make it here by the end of 07.

JeStaH

Just want to re-iterate how awesome this game is. I was expecting it to be mediocre based on reviews. I am more than pleasantly surprised!

I'm not an RPG player at all. The only RPG I've ever finished is the original Phantasy Star. I've tired playing other RPGs but usually get bored around the 4 hour mark. I hate grinding and usually not enough there to keep me intersted.

I just finished disc 1 and I'm about 19 hours in. The game has so much charm, the art and the graphics and attention to detail is amazing! The whole package really keeps you immersed and leaves me wanting to know what's coming next. I am getting the same goose bumpy feeling as I did when playing Phantasy Star.

I rented the game because I wanted to try it first to see if I would get bored like every RPG I have tried playing. I'm definately buying the game now.. :lol

MCD

Just started the game (couldn't find time yesterday).

HOLY FLYING FUCK @ THE GRAPHICS @_@ AND THE RELAXING MUSIC @_@

and wtf French language? how the hell did they fit it in?

PhatSaqs

Banned
McDragon said:
Just started the game (couldn't find time yesterday).

HOLY FLYING FUCK @ THE GRAPHICS @_@ AND THE RELAXING MUSIC @_@

and wtf French language? how the hell did they fit it in?
DVD baby :lol

soco

FateBreaker said:
I think the guy above nailed it: Mass Effect is going to be their biggie for advertising this year. I still have a hard time believing Lost Odyssey will make it here by the end of 07.

i really kinda wish it wouldn't drop this year. if i had one wish, it'd be that they went back and removed the random battles and at least did something like in BD. i really like the way barrier magic and stuff is handled :(

however, yeah i agree ME will be their big push.

i could maybe see BD getting a few boosts with other maybe more family oriented games such as VP:pA and such. as in a collage commercial that mention things like BD, Katamari, VP:pA, etc.

Top Bottom