• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Nolan.

typhonsentra said:
I really hate the "Love story" in this game. I just got to the part where Shu and Jiro are talking about how much they LIKE LIKE Kluke on disc 2 in the green barrier village, awful stuff.

I don't think Shu has deep feelings for Kluke like that. I think he's so clueless that he thinks whats Jiro's talking about is the same thing he's feeling because he never lets him finish he always interjects. I think he just likes her as a friend and Jiro ''Loves'' her. Whilst Kluke probably loves the dough boy from across the village.

It is pretty pathetic though but at points it can be really sweet. Sometimes because of the art you forget their ages and think it's some 12 year old love story or something. The art should have been more grown up or just less cutesey.

Nolan. said:
It is pretty pathetic though but at points it can be really sweet. Sometimes because of the art you forget their ages and think it's some 12 year old love story or something. The art should have been more grown up or just less cutesey.
I thought he was 12. I just looked up his profile and... he's supposed to be 16!?

Nolan.

typhonsentra said:
I thought he was 12. I just looked up his profile and... he's supposed to be 16!?

Yup and Jiro's 17. Thats why Is so hard to watch sometimes I kept getting confused with the scenes, because whilst I know they aren't kids it just looks that way.

IJoel

I finished disc 2 last night and unlike most people here, I didn't like it as much as disc 1. I blame it on 2 things:

1. The item under every damn object 'feature'. Basically, every time I get to a new area, I sigh as I realize I have to (or feel the need to) go through every object to not miss an item.

2. The game is really too easy. Way too easy. My party is about level 40 and it's been so easy, that non-boss battles merely seem like a chore and become annoying rather quickly. Even boss battles aren't challenging. And this is with very minimal grinding. I only did it twice. Once to get most to Black Mage level 8 (for the regenerating MP while walking skill), and the other time to get the Generalist to level 18 (for accessory+2, and skill+4). Mind you, I despise games that force you to grind to progress, but this one is really the other extreme.

I hope disc 3 is better.

IJoel said:
I finished disc 2 last night and unlike most people here, I didn't like it as much as disc 1. I blame it on 2 things:

I hope disc 3 is better.

While I do agree with you on disc 1 being better, I still did enioy disc 2; I really like some of the story-linear cinematic things going on in it, and I liked the last areas in general.

Disc 3 is fortunately the best of the discs.

3rdman said:
Thats my one big complaint...absolutely terrible mapping. There doesn't seem to be any way to see maps to the dungeons, the world map is bereft of any details (aside from warp points), and no automap feature so you don't double over the same area. I'm never sure if I've fully cleared a map or not...

Agreed.

I also hate how in the overworld the camera angles down at Shu and doesn't allow you to pan forward on the map to see where you're going. I end up walking all over the place just to be sure I checked everywhere because I can't see it otherwise.

IJoel said:

1. The item under every damn object 'feature'. Basically, every time I get to a new area, I sigh as I realize I have to (or feel the need to) go through every object to not miss an item.

2. The game is really too easy. Way too easy. My party is about level 40 and it's been so easy, that non-boss battles merely seem like a chore and become annoying rather quickly. Even boss battles aren't challenging. And this is with very minimal grinding. I only did it twice. Once to get most to Black Mage level 8 (for the regenerating MP while walking skill), and the other time to get the Generalist to level 18 (for accessory+2, and skill+4). Mind you, I despise games that force you to grind to progress, but this one is really the other extreme.

I hope disc 3 is better.

You need to level up your shadow that has field barrier. Level 2/3 is a godsend and will help you avoid needless enemy fights, since it kills them and gives you 1/2 sp automatically. And I search constantly too, but only because I want the nothings, which gives some pretty great accessores. Other then that, you really don't need to keep searching(unless you want the $1 million achievement, though selling everything and not saving will help you get to your goal). Also, as I wrote here earlier, if you want a challenge, dont level up generalist/unequip skill+/unequip accessory+. I think the generalist class makes the game too easy, as it prevents your characters from being specialized in one class.

yukoner

Ya the story is definately the weakest aspect of the game (apart from the default difficulty level). It just seems as though it lacks focus, and is trying to be both Kiddy and mature at the same time. The dialogue is also very rough at times.

With that said it's a nice simple story with some funny touches (the horny murals were pretty funny).

Difficulty is still excellent for me.

I just got to the part where you save the Caravan from the village, had top fight the two tigers to start off, they killed both members in my front line with one hit (Bite: 300+ hp) to start the battle, but I managed to put them to sleep, recover, and beat them fairly easily.

Then the Knight guy came along, and I was handling him fairly easily until the last resort spell, where he powers up, and starts inflicting massive damage.

Pretty quick he had wiped out 3 of my party members, and I had just Kluke left, with 90hp. I said screw it, and attacked once more with my fingers crossed...Defeated! With one character and 90hp remaining...

And that's without grinding before the fight, just the level I happened to be at. Now that's some good difficulty for an RPG.

Sometimes it feels a little cheap, but never nearly as cheap as the Boss fights in FF12 felt.

yukoner said:
Ya the story is definately the weakest aspect of the game (apart from the default difficulty level). It just seems as though it lacks focus, and is trying to be both Kiddy and mature at the same time. The dialogue is also very rough at times.

With that said it's a nice simple story with some funny touches (the horny murals were pretty funny).

Difficulty is still excellent for me.

I just got to the part where you save the Caravan from the village, had top fight the two tigers to start off, they killed both members in my front line with one hit (Bite: 300+ hp) to start the battle, but I managed to put them to sleep, recover, and beat them fairly easily.

Then the Knight guy came along, and I was handling him fairly easily until the last resort spell, where he powers up, and starts inflicting massive damage.

Pretty quick he had wiped out 3 of my party members, and I had just Kluke left, with 90hp. I said screw it, and attacked once more with my fingers crossed...Defeated! With one character and 90hp remaining...

And that's without grinding before the fight, just the level I happened to be at. Now that's some good difficulty for an RPG.

Sometimes it feels a little cheap, but never nearly as cheap as the Boss fights in FF12 felt.

I did some grinding and still got my ass handed to me by those tigers the first time. The second time I planned it better. They attacked first, killed Shu and nearly killed Maru, but I came prepared. I equiped one of my magic users with that skill where you can use 2 items in one turn. Revived Shu and used a heal-all item. Then I had my other magic user throw a sleep item. Finished recovering my characters hp, then when it was time for my magic users again, I cast wall on my entire front line. From that point on it was attack one tiger then cast wall till the end of the match. The headless horseman was a bitch, but I used the same strategy till he stumpled from my earth attacks. Then I powered up my magic user to deliver a fully charged quake attack. used my other magic character to cast wall+physical/magic barriers. He still did a lot of damage though, especially that sweep attack., but he was a lot easier then those tigers.

Im still stuck at the first disk(finally unlocked the wagon train achievement), but hopefully will get done with it this weekend. I gotta say
the cgi work for the flying fortress attack
was just awesome. I seriously got a Pixar vibe with that.

I'm still faily early in the game but my question is, what skill do you have to use in order to get like earth based attacks and water attacks. I have spirit and flare for some people but not quite sure how I got that. I forget. I'm still trying to get a grasp on the dragon skills and how that all works. I remember buy a few spells. I'm assuming thats how you get most of your magic attacks?

Nolan.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I'm still faily early in the game but my question is, what skill do you have to use in order to get like earth based attacks and water attacks. I have spirit and flare for some people but not quite sure how I got that. I forget. I'm still trying to get a grasp on the dragon skills and how that all works. I remember buy a few spells. I'm assuming thats how you get most of your magic attacks?

Black magic. A good thing to do would be to read the back half of the manual. It doe help.

Alright thanks. I actually just met up maro after a boss battle with a certain wolf creature so I'm still way early in the game...but its awesome so far I must say.

yukoner

Masta_Killah said:
I did some grinding and still got my ass handed to me by those tigers the first time. The second time I planned it better. They attacked first, killed Shu and nearly killed Maru, but I came prepared. I equiped one of my magic users with that skill where you can use 2 items in one turn. Revived Shu and used a heal-all item. Then I had my other magic user throw a sleep item. Finished recovering my characters hp, then when it was time for my magic users again, I cast wall on my entire front line. From that point on it was attack one tiger then cast wall till the end of the match. The headless horseman was a bitch, but I used the same strategy till he stumpled from my earth attacks. Then I powered up my magic user to deliver a fully charged quake attack. used my other magic character to cast wall+physical/magic barriers. He still did a lot of damage though, especially that sweep attack., but he was a lot easier then those tigers.

Wow, I'm surprised you had so much trouble with the tigers.

I just put them to sleep using Support magic (puts both to sleep), and then revived Maru and Shu.

Then I just had to fight one tiger at a time, while the other slept. Two charged Magic Swords from Maru and Shu would kill one tiger.

If the other one ever woke up, I would just cast sleep again.

So basically, after their first two attacks, which killed both Maru and Shu, they never hit me again. I guess I'm lucky I trained Jiro in support magic ;)

That horseman was a fucker though, after he charges up one hit kills anyone in my party, and his little sweep attack took off 100-150hp from everyone. I had to use a few Pheonix Talon's, and still ended up just barely beatin him.

yukoner

Nolan. said:
Black magic. A good thing to do would be to read the back half of the manual. It doe help.

I got a stupid canadian manual.

Half of it's french, and they didn't include anything about the spell trees, which I'm assuming you guys have in your manuals?

Another few questions for you guys. First off the power bar that appears at the top for charging certain attacks. I'm sorta confused on how this works. I noticed that it appears where ever you land your meter at, you will perform that move after that person and if you left go before it hits anyone then you do it right away? Is this correct? and second, whats with the darker part of the bar? is that the most powerful spot to release it?

Another thing is what level should I get generalist to before switching back to other stuff. I just switched recently to generalist and just wanted a heads up.

And last but not least, how do I get the different barrier effects so I dont have to constantly fight lower level enemies?

Thanks guys and its good to see so much love and support for Blue Dragon on here.

I'm actually taking videos of my progress of the game and asking people to give me ideas of when best to take footage for cutscenes and whatnot. You can see some of my blue dragon videos so far on youtube at www.youtube.com/user/slasherthrasher.

Thanks again.

yukoner

slasher_thrasher21 said:
after that person and if you left go before it hits anyone then you do it right away? Is this correct?

and second, whats with the darker part of the bar? is that the most powerful spot to release it?
For magic users, hitting that spot take 1/3 off the casting spell, and speeds up the attack, but is not necessarily the most powerful. Charging the bar all the way is always the most powerful, but takes teh longest. Charging it all the way also expands teh attack of some spells.

For example, Wind charged all the way, will hit almost all enemies on screen. Not charged at all, it will only hit one.

For Melee attacks, I think the dark spot is the most powerful, or at least as powerful as a full charge, but I'm not positive.

Another thing is what level should I get generalist to before switching back to other stuff. I just switched recently to generalist and just wanted a heads up.
Lvl 11 gives you Skill+3, which is where I have everyone right now. That's probably the minimum you'd want to do.

And last but not least, how do I get the different barrier effects so I dont have to constantly fight lower level enemies?
Level your barier class. Field Barrier 1 you get early on, but it's fairly useless, taking ~30mp/enemy.

I just got Field Barrier 2 which is much better, at around 10mp/enemy. Got it around lvl 24. I thinkyou need lvl 50 for Field Barrier 3. I've read the easiest way to do this is get up to lvl 32 manually, and then buy the remaining 18 from Toripo.

Toripo takes your metals, and sells Rank upgrades, you should be able to get 18 levels for around 250 metals...or so I read. He shows up throughout the game at various locations.

Nolan.

yukoner said:
I got a stupid canadian manual.

Half of it's french, and they didn't include anything about the spell trees, which I'm assuming you guys have in your manuals?

Yeah it explains the different spells a lot better than is explained in the game. It also tells you at what rank you unlock which spell etc. The manual itself is actually pretty good, I didn't even know what the heck the stink ailment did until I read it.

Jirotrom

IJoel said:

I hope disc 3 is better.
you could have downloaded the patch from the asian xbox live.

yukoner said:
Wow, I'm surprised you had so much trouble with the tigers.

I just put them to sleep using Support magic (puts both to sleep), and then revived Maru and Shu.

Then I just had to fight one tiger at a time, while the other slept. Two charged Magic Swords from Maru and Shu would kill one tiger.

If the other one ever woke up, I would just cast sleep again.

So basically, after their first two attacks, which killed both Maru and Shu, they never hit me again. I guess I'm lucky I trained Jiro in support magic ;)

That horseman was a fucker though, after he charges up one hit kills anyone in my party, and his little sweep attack took off 100-150hp from everyone. I had to use a few Pheonix Talon's, and still ended up just barely beatin him.

umm, I really didn't level up my support magic. All I had was 1 sleep item. Luckily it worked. I mean, the game was practically cake till you got to that point. Then all of a sudden, you meet the tigers and they do 200+ hp attacks after charging. This wasn't even a boss fight, so I was like WTF when I first fought them. The Horseman never got a chance to use his special attack. I just kept knocking him down, so he was a lot easier then the tigers. He was pretty badass looking though. Truely menacing and powerful looking.

Llyranor

I'll be getting the game later today, so I've been thinking about how to customize my party.

I'll have two primary spellcasters - one white/support and one black/barrier. In terms of the more combat-oriented classes, I'm pondering how to mix them up.

A guardian monk seems like a good idea, since I can counter when I absorb damage. I'm wondering how a guardian spellcaster would work; guarding the party while in the back row (and thus taking less damage - does this actually work?) while being a secondary back-up spellcaster.

I'm thinking of an assassin monk. Charging up double strikes sounds good. In contrast to that, what about a swordmaster assassin? The question with that is whether I can double strike using Magic Sword.

I'll probably have a swordmaster/monk.

So to summarize my questions:
- Can I guard my party from the back row (and thus take less damage) as a guardian?
- Can I use Magic Sword and Double Strike together?

yukoner said:
For magic users, hitting that spot take 1/3 off the casting spell, and speeds up the attack, but is not necessarily the most powerful. Charging the bar all the way is always the most powerful, but takes teh longest. Charging it all the way also expands teh attack of some spells.

For example, Wind charged all the way, will hit almost all enemies on screen. Not charged at all, it will only hit one.

For Melee attacks, I think the dark spot is the most powerful, or at least as powerful as a full charge, but I'm not positive.

Lvl 11 gives you Skill+3, which is where I have everyone right now. That's probably the minimum you'd want to do.

Level your barier class. Field Barrier 1 you get early on, but it's fairly useless, taking ~30mp/enemy.

I just got Field Barrier 2 which is much better, at around 10mp/enemy. Got it around lvl 24. I thinkyou need lvl 50 for Field Barrier 3. I've read the easiest way to do this is get up to lvl 32 manually, and then buy the remaining 18 from Toripo.

Toripo takes your metals, and sells Rank upgrades, you should be able to get 18 levels for around 250 metals...or so I read. He shows up throughout the game at various locations.

Do not use the level up item until later in the game. When you first meet Toripo, buy the stat upgrades(1-2 of each max). Later in the game, when it takes longer to level up your character, start buying the level up upgrades. Also, from what some have said here, don't use the level up upgrade from lv98 to get to lv99. You won't recieve any achievements for doing that.

Llyranor said:
I'll be getting the game later today, so I've been thinking about how to customize my party.

I'll have two primary spellcasters - one white/support and one black/barrier. In terms of the more combat-oriented classes, I'm pondering how to mix them up.

A guardian monk seems like a good idea, since I can counter when I absorb damage. I'm wondering how a guardian spellcaster would work; guarding the party while in the back row (and thus taking less damage - does this actually work?) while being a secondary back-up spellcaster.

I'm thinking of an assassin monk. Charging up double strikes sounds good. In contrast to that, what about a swordmaster assassin? The question with that is whether I can double strike using Magic Sword.

I'll probably have a swordmaster/monk.

So to summarize my questions:
- Can I guard my party from the back row (and thus take less damage) as a guardian?
- Can I use Magic Sword and Double Strike together?

So far from what I've played, having a guardian in the back is pointless, since the bosses usually atatck characters in the front. Also, any counterattack from the back is pointless, as it only does have the damage. Guardian(defense)/Assassin(double strike)/Monk(counter) in the front would make a killer character.

Edit: Realized that the guardian takes hits for the team. Might be good, but if you have them counter, it's pretty poinless, since they don't deal as much damage. But Magic/Guardian could be a killer combo. Only thing is that it'll take a while to get the full benefit of Guardian(lv50). Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Llyranor

Thanks. And can I mix double strike and magic sword?

I really shouldn't have deleted the demo, or I could just test this out myself.

goldenpp72

From what i've seen double strike ONLY works for the primary normal attack, nothing else (no countering either)

But its still an awesome skill.

yukoner

Masta_Killah said:
I just kept knocking him down, so he was a lot easier then the tigers. He was pretty badass looking though. Truely menacing and powerful looking.

You mean he actually fell down??

I was using ground attacks, but they would simply knock down his defence temporarily...

yukoner

Nolan. said:
Yeah it explains the different spells a lot better than is explained in the game. It also tells you at what rank you unlock which spell etc. The manual itself is actually pretty good, I didn't even know what the heck the stink ailment did until I read it.

That would definately come in handy...I wonder if there's any scans floating about?

yukoner said:
You mean he actually fell down??

I was using ground attacks, but they would simply knock down his defence temporarily...

I meant that. It's supposed to be him tipping over and falling. I think a text pop-up tells you he fell down.

Darkman M

DreamMachine said:
is this game worth getting for 40 bucks, the gamespot review makes it sound like this game is terribly forgetable.

$40 is a great deal for this game. Blue Dragon is a solid rpg, nonthing amazing but solid.

Diablos

I don't know why reviewers are being so harsh on it.

It's not like I've played it, but from what I gather it's very similar to FFV. Simple story, traditional jrpg gameplay. Just because it's nothing new and groundbreaking doesn't mean it sucks.

goldenpp72 said:
From what i've seen double strike ONLY works for the primary normal attack, nothing else (no countering either)

But its still an awesome skill.

Double strike works for counters, too. Makes some great combos with guardian (total guard), monk and assassin.

Diablos said:
I don't know why reviewers are being so harsh on it.

It's not like I've played it, but from what I gather it's very similar to FFV. Simple story, traditional jrpg gameplay. Just because it's nothing new and groundbreaking doesn't mean it sucks.

We're not lying when we say reviewers are totally off.

I will be the first to admit that FFV's story makes Blue Dragon's story/characters look like the weakest of the poo monsters in the game, but everything else in the game soars so high that it still gives you a really great feeling when playing through this beautiful world

Congratulations Hitler, your viral marketing has caused me to buy this game. I hope the gooch doubles your pay. I will probably give it a spin tomorrow - while lamenting my low sales resistance.

rpgfan16k

Alright, 5 hours in to the game, I agreed wholeheartidly with y'all about how awesome this game is. Now, 15 hours in (Jibral), I'm starting to sympathize with the EGM/GS reviewers for one reason.

THE DIALOGUE.

The storyline in general is moving far too slowly for its own good IMO (tho thank goodness I'm finally at Jibral, I can already see it's only going uphill from here), but unless I've just been completely devoid of any perception until now, I honestly think this is some of the worst dialogue I've ever seen in a JRPG. I really wish the jgaffers who loved this game would give the English version a spin. I can't imagine their impressions would be so glowing if they saw how atrociously juvenile this dialogue is. If this is the fault of the MS translation team, then I pray that somebody else translates LO. It really is THAT bad. Even the patrician characters like the king sound like 5th graders! Honestly, what the heck happened MS??!?!?

Graphically and aurally, however, I'm very pleased, and I'm surprised there isn't more praise for this in mainstream reviews. The sound effects of the birds flying away, and the waterfalls, and the wooden boards beneath Shu's feet as he walks across a bridge...it lends a great deal to the game's atmosphere.

Dungeon design is great, but the lack of puzzles hurts. These really are a necessity for me in RPGs, but despite the lack of them in BD, the dungeons are still enjoyable. They feel like FF12 only without the incessant length and tedium (lol). I suppose I can give it the honorific of "Best dungeon design without puzzles."

Battle system as previously mentioned is superlative. One of my top 5 ever, easily.

Difficulty wise, it is a tad too easy, but not to the extreme that many have been saying, at least so far in my playing time.

I really hope it picks up from here story-wise. I'm usually not picky at all over story, but this dialogue is truly ridiculous. PLZ TELL ME IT GETS BETTER!!! I WANT TO BELIEVE!!

soco

rpgfan16k said:
Alright, 5 hours in to the game, I agreed wholeheartidly with y'all about how awesome this game is. Now, 15 hours in (Jibral), I'm starting to sympathize with the EGM/GS reviewers for one reason.

supposedly the game starts to pick up in just a bit from where you're at. i've finished the immediate part after it and moved on to disc 2, but haven't done any more at the moment so i can't say for certain.

as for the dialogue, i don't really find it all that bad. it's simple and childlike, but i wouldn't expect much of anything else for this. maybe a bit more personality like the modern nintendo translations. i wanted to shoot myself through all of Tales of Symphonia, and it the voice acting is no where near as bad as say Baten Kaitos (the only game i from which i've ever shut the voice off. it only took a few minutes of it too.)

I keep saying the same thing over and over: Yes, the story, the characters, and especially the dialogue, it's just all so bleh. I don't think much of us are denying this too much. The story gets a teency bit better, but don't be expecting too much.

It's the OTHER things that the game offers that makes this super fun and enjoyable.

BboyDubC

Is toripo the only guy you use medals for? I had 63 medals and I spent them all on generalist hearts. Is there something else I should be saving them for?

Eric WK

BboyDubC said:
Is toripo the only guy you use medals for? I had 63 medals and I spent them all on generalist hearts. Is there something else I should be saving them for?

Nope. Give em all to Mr. Track Suit.

BboyDubC

Eric WK said:
Nope. Give em all to Mr. Track Suit.

Heh, awesome. Generalist is the only thing I don't want to spend time leveling. I just want the freakin slots. At least levelling that one from scratch feels like a chore. Going from +5 to +6 or so when I am already stacked on my other skills might be fine.

Sysgen

FateBreaker said:
I keep saying the same thing over and over: Yes, the story, the characters, and especially the dialogue, it's just all so bleh. I don't think much of us are denying this too much. The story gets a teency bit better, but don't be expecting too much.

It's the OTHER things that the game offers that makes this super fun and enjoyable.

I think it's best to use them on Barrier hearts since you'll get to 50 faster and to use them later than sooner or at least that is what I gather from reading this thread.

heh, where is the end of disc 1? I just reached 40 hours :lol Now I know I may of left the game running for an hour here or there but still I play like a turtle it seems as compared to others. I can't even use the excuse that I'm on a nothing hunt as others have just as many as me and seem to be sailing through the game.

Scott x 2

Just waiting for this to arrive, managed to get it for £25.99 which i thought was a good price for it being brand new. I decided to give this a go as i've been looking forward to it for a long time, despite not being most impressed by the demo.

Can those played both the demo and the retail version confirm the demo didn't do the game any justice?

Sysgen

Scott x 2 said:
Can those played both the demo and the retail version confirm the demo didn't do the game any justice?

I never played the demo but others in this thread have already confirmed it. There are some more impressions just going a few pages back so you don't need to read the whole thread :)

Llyranor

I thought the demo was good in terms of showcasing the potential of the battle system at higher levels. I enjoyed the demo (on hard) quite a bit thanks to this.

After playing the game for 5 hrs, though, I really do think they should have included the intro of the game in the demo. Presentation-wise, it's really good, and not completely random, as in the demo.

Top Bottom