• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Scott x 2

Sysgen said:
I never played the demo but others in this thread have already confirmed it. There are some more impressions just going a few pages back so you don't need to read the whole thread :)
Ah thanks, i wasn't looking forward to reading through all of those pages so i'll have a look back. One of my friends said just that though and he can't seem to put the game down so i'm really looking forward to getting into it.

Thyrus

Well i've just completed this game and damn, i really loved the experience. Sure it has its flaws with the slowdowns and such but the sheer enjoyment i got out of the story, the characters, skillsystem and well the package in its entirety more than justifies the time spendt playing. I'm giving it a solid 8 out of 10.

Scott x 2

Thyrus said:
Well i've just completed this game and damn, i really loved the experience. Sure it has its flaws with the slowdowns and such but the sheer enjoyment i got out of the story, the characters, skillsystem and well the package in its entirety more than justifies the time spendt playing. I'm giving it a solid 8 out of 10.
How many hours did it take you to complete?

I just had a conversation with my brother about this the other day: Was anyone else expecting the shadow creatures to have personalities? The fact that the game is named "Blue Dragon", so far none of the characters have ever called it that. It's just a tool, while I was expecting it to be an actual character who would guide the main guy on his journey.

typhonsentra said:
The fact that the game is named "Blue Dragon", so far none of the characters have ever called it that. It's just a tool, while I was expecting it to be an actual character who would guide the main guy on his journey.

yeah, like the persona series...oh wait..

Blimblim

The Inside Track
typhonsentra said:
I just had a conversation with my brother about this the other day: Was anyone else expecting the shadow creatures to have personalities? The fact that the game is named "Blue Dragon", so far none of the characters have ever called it that. It's just a tool, while I was expecting it to be an actual character who would guide the main guy on his journey.
The funny thing is that the shadows talk and have various personalities in the TV series.

Nolan.

Blimblim said:
The funny thing is that the shadows talk and have various personalities in the TV series.

I should probably start watching that. For me I don't know if it would work them having personalities seperate from the user seeing as they are an outer reflection of an inner self. Also I was thinking would the next installment be called blue dragon because that would mean shu and his friends would be making a return. Unless the next hero also has a dragon that is blue...which would not be so interesting unless it varied in looks somehow.

I just spent a couple hours grinding around the Tabalt Village (sp?). I'm around 16.5 hours into the game. I trying to get as many "back attacks" and "monster fights" as possible for the achivements right now. Is it too soon to be doing all that?

Also, I LOVE the trapfloor spell.

rpgfan16k said:
Alright, 5 hours in to the game, I agreed wholeheartidly with y'all about how awesome this game is. Now, 15 hours in (Jibral), I'm starting to sympathize with the EGM/GS reviewers for one reason.

THE DIALOGUE.

The storyline in general is moving far too slowly for its own good IMO (tho thank goodness I'm finally at Jibral, I can already see it's only going uphill from here), but unless I've just been completely devoid of any perception until now, I honestly think this is some of the worst dialogue I've ever seen in a JRPG. I really wish the jgaffers who loved this game would give the English version a spin. I can't imagine their impressions would be so glowing if they saw how atrociously juvenile this dialogue is. If this is the fault of the MS translation team, then I pray that somebody else translates LO. It really is THAT bad. Even the patrician characters like the king sound like 5th graders! Honestly, what the heck happened MS??!?!?

Graphically and aurally, however, I'm very pleased, and I'm surprised there isn't more praise for this in mainstream reviews. The sound effects of the birds flying away, and the waterfalls, and the wooden boards beneath Shu's feet as he walks across a bridge...it lends a great deal to the game's atmosphere.

Dungeon design is great, but the lack of puzzles hurts. These really are a necessity for me in RPGs, but despite the lack of them in BD, the dungeons are still enjoyable. They feel like FF12 only without the incessant length and tedium (lol). I suppose I can give it the honorific of "Best dungeon design without puzzles."

Battle system as previously mentioned is superlative. One of my top 5 ever, easily.

Difficulty wise, it is a tad too easy, but not to the extreme that many have been saying, at least so far in my playing time.

I really hope it picks up from here story-wise. I'm usually not picky at all over story, but this dialogue is truly ridiculous. PLZ TELL ME IT GETS BETTER!!! I WANT TO BELIEVE!!

That's where you went wrong. The english dubs were already known to be horrible. If you went with the Japanese dubs, the game is much more tolerable and the jokes/drama/delivery of the spoken language is much better. Also, the characters sound much older, which is weird considering the art style, but much more enjoyable in the end. Well, except Maru, he still sounds like a screaming freak.

BboyDubC said:
Is toripo the only guy you use medals for? I had 63 medals and I spent them all on generalist hearts. Is there something else I should be saving them for?

I wrote this earlier regarding the medals

me said:
Do not use the level up item until later in the game. When you first meet Toripo, buy the stat upgrades(1-2 of each max). Later in the game, when it takes longer to level up your character, start buying the level up upgrades. Also, from what some have said here, don't use the level up upgrade from lv98 to get to lv99. You won't recieve any achievements for doing that.

Okay, aside from the all-jobs-rank-99 achievements I'm about done for this play through... got lots to do in the New Game + though... Its just a long trawl in the laser fields to level my jobs up... I wish there was somewhere a tad faster.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Sysgen said:
Uh, there's no vertical invert aiming option for the shooting stage? Seriously WTF?
Well, imagine that there was no inverting option for the horizontal axis either in the unpatched japanese release. Completely unplayable for me.
I have no idea why they only added an horizontal option though.

Eric WK

The worst part of that for me was the fact that you had to aim with left stick, rather than the right. It completely through me off guard during every Mechat stage.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Sysgen said:
Uh, there's no vertical invert aiming option for the shooting stage? Seriously WTF?

Yea there is. Go into the mechat control options and choose option C or D. Both are inverted.

Sysgen

Schafer said:
Yea there is. Go into the mechat control options and choose option C or D. Both are inverted.

0_o OK, you saved the day. :lol Though if they were thorough they should of put an option screen accessible from the shooting stages.

Why
in Devour Village does Shu say running away isn't always bad, and then immediately after enter head-first into an impossible battle with a giant monster on his own?

I'm about 43 hours in, and I'm starting to do a lot of sidequests now. Though I want to find new items and new locations, I actually dread going into new towns. There are just too many things to click on in a new town. Honestly, this is an OCD sufferer's worst nightmare. Running against the walls of every room pressing A is a real chore. I hope they remove that from Blue Dragon 2. It's badly designed, and actually makes the game less fun.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
typhonsentra said:
Why
in Devour Village does Shu say running away isn't always bad, and then immediately after enter head-first into an impossible battle with a giant monster on his own?

Because he's not very bright.

FutureZombie said:
I'm about 43 hours in, and I'm starting to do a lot of sidequests now. Though I want to find new items and new locations, I actually dread going into new towns. There are just too many things to click on in a new town. Honestly, this is an OCD sufferer's worst nightmare. Running against the walls of every room pressing A is a real chore. I hope they remove that from Blue Dragon 2. It's badly designed, and actually makes the game less fun.

I think you're being too critical. The idea is awesome, but they need to have more than "nothing" and "exp+10" and "hp+1". Ocassionally there is something better, but it's usually something along those lines. What would be cool, though, is actual solid rewards for checking out and discovering everything. EXP +1000, CLASS INCREASE, LEVEL INCREASE, etc. Not all the time, but some of the time, just to make it seem a little more worth it to explore--not just for collecting nothings. I hope it is in Blue Dragon 2, but I do hope they fix it up a bit.

And onto my problem with the gold poo snakes: Even with back attacks, they run away every first turn. Solutions, anyone?

FateBreaker said:
I think you're being too critical. The idea is awesome, but they need to have more than "nothing" and "exp+10" and "hp+1". Ocassionally there is something better, but it's usually something along those lines. What would be cool, though, is actual solid rewards for checking out and discovering everything. EXP +1000, CLASS INCREASE, LEVEL INCREASE, etc. Not all the time, but some of the time, just to make it seem a little more worth it to explore--not just for collecting nothings. I hope it is in Blue Dragon 2, but I do hope they fix it up a bit.

And onto my problem with the gold poo snakes: Even with back attacks, they run away every first turn. Solutions, anyone?

I don't think I'm being too critical. Runnings along the walls of every room in the game is not fun at all. It's just a time sink.

As far as the golden poo snakes, there's an accessory that let's you attack first every time. Give that to a character who can do a lot of damage (like one with double cast) and if you do enough damage on your first attack, the poo will stay and fight.

sega4ever said:
so stop running along the walls clicking A

Have you not played the game? There are dozens of things in each room that you can get items, gold, or nothings from. Either you run along the wall, or you do it a slower way. In the end, if you want all the items, gold, and nothings, you're spending an inordinate amount of time clicking on nearly every object in the game.

C4Lukins

GarthVaderUK said:
I've just started this, enjoying it s far. Wish I could resist checking every single object for items though.

No kidding. I am fine with 4 or 5 objects in a room to check, but when there is twenty, it just drives me crazy. I know you do not have to actually do that, but the completest ocd part of me makes me do it. Even if I just left the room after only checking a few of them, I would be miserable because I would keep thinking back on what I could have possibly missed. It is probably my biggest complaint about the game so far. Just way to many objects to search. I guess it is not the games fault though that I just have to freaken search them or my brain will explode.

GreekWolf

FINALLY picked my copy up yesterday. I'm only a few hours into the game, just entered the
Water Cavern.

I'm loving everything I see and hear right now. The theme to the
hospital ruins
has quickly become one of my favorite Uematsu tracks.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Okay, so I just finished disc 1....

I don't get what all the talk is about. The "spectacular" ending that many claimed to wrap up the first disc was not that amazing to me. Be it because of the fact that I played the mechat shooting sequence a year ago at TGS or because it was just a two-minute diversion that featured very little excitement, I did not say WOW at the end.

And disc 2 starts out more boring than ever...

Is there something wrong with me? I found the first several hours of BD to be fantastic and then the experience just devolved from there.

Nolan.

typhonsentra said:
I thought disc 2 had a pretty epic ending. It feels pretty short though.

The whole game felt really short to me for some reason. I felt like FFXII took me longer to finish.

Naeblish

I don't care that much about length (well, not if its more then 20 hours anyway), as long as the game keeps me wanting more. The minute it starts to feel that you just want to finish, then i start caring about length. 10 hours in and loving the game (except for the occasional mindless grinding).

I agree about the item-searching - it is just too much for me. There are 'hidden items' and treasure-boxes scattered *everywhere*. I mean, whose idea was it to make it such? Argh...

Otherwise it is a very enjoyable title, though.

yukoner

FutureZombie said:
Have you not played the game? There are dozens of things in each room that you can get items, gold, or nothings from. Either you run along the wall, or you do it a slower way. In the end, if you want all the items, gold, and nothings, you're spending an inordinate amount of time clicking on nearly every object in the game.

Then just don't do it!

There's tons of gold to be had in this game from fighting, and the experience you get from exploring is hardly worth it.

It's not like you have to search things in order to find everything in the game, or make money. It's purely optional.

I do wish they'd put more variety of stuff, and less 10golds, but really if it bothers you just skip it, not really that big of an issue.

typhonsentra said:
I thought disc 2 had a pretty epic ending. It feels pretty short though.

Disc 2 was really short. Maybe 5 hours of gameplay in there? Full of FMV, though. I think there was only really five or six new locations on the whole disc's gameplay.

BboyDubC

Masta_Killah said:
I wrote this earlier regarding the medals

Considering my characters are like 25 on their native skills, but I screwed up and chose assassin for kluke earlier on and just got the generalist right before meeting toripo (she's majoring in black magic, support magic, and just enough to be backup healer on white magic), I don't feel like wasting the time leveling up her skill to level 15 while barely managing with 4 skill slots.

yukoner said:
Then just don't do it!

There's tons of gold to be had in this game from fighting, and the experience you get from exploring is hardly worth it.

It's not like you have to search things in order to find everything in the game, or make money. It's purely optional.

I do wish they'd put more variety of stuff, and less 10golds, but really if it bothers you just skip it, not really that big of an issue.

It's the nothings that are the real draw. You get a lot of really nice accessories for them.

BboyDubC said:
Considering my characters are like 25 on their native skills, but I screwed up and chose assassin for kluke earlier on and just got the generalist right before meeting toripo (she's majoring in black magic, support magic, and just enough to be backup healer on white magic), I don't feel like wasting the time leveling up her skill to level 15 while barely managing with 4 skill slots.

You gain sp's pretty quickly if you grind for about 30 min-1 hour if your shadow levels are low.

I've got a question about a side quest in disc 3...

I'm at some mech base on the southern part of the map near the subteranean cavern. I fought my way in on the airship but now I'm on the second floor of the base and it's loaded with laser security systems. If I trip around 5 or 6 of them I get sent down to the first floor and Jiro tells me that I should find a way around them. So yeah, that's all well and good but just how the hell do I go about doing that? I seem to remember running under one of them at one time at another place but after multiple tries it doesn't seem like that's going to work here. I can't freakin' jump over it. I can't use stealth. How in the world do I get passed these things?

trmas

Banned
Rented this, but only got to play a few hours before work sent me out of town for an emergency. Didn't get very far, but love it from my limited time. Will definately buy as soon as the game goes on sale. Beautiful graphics, crappy dialogue, and just how important (not) is checking each item? I can't stand doing so... what am I missing out on if I only check certain things?

I'm uncertain how I will set each character up, but the DL for hard mode is necessary. Game is insanely easy at default difficulty.

trmas said:
Rented this, but only got to play a few hours before work sent me out of town for an emergency. Didn't get very far, but love it from my limited time. Will definately buy as soon as the game goes on sale. Beautiful graphics, crappy dialogue, and just how important (not) is checking each item? I can't stand doing so... what am I missing out on if I only check certain things?

I'm uncertain how I will set each character up, but the DL for hard mode is necessary. Game is insanely easy at default difficulty.

Searching for items nets you some rare accessories later on in the game. But if you find the game too easy, would like a challenge, and/or not an achievement whore, then skip it. Item searching just makes the game easier.

painey

I hope that "item searching" never appears in any game ever again, i think its probably one of the worst ideas ever.

Xevren

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I've got a question about a side quest in disc 3...

I'm at some mech base on the southern part of the map near the subteranean cavern. I fought my way in on the airship but now I'm on the second floor of the base and it's loaded with laser security systems. If I trip around 5 or 6 of them I get sent down to the first floor and Jiro tells me that I should find a way around them. So yeah, that's all well and good but just how the hell do I go about doing that? I seem to remember running under one of them at one time at another place but after multiple tries it doesn't seem like that's going to work here. I can't freakin' jump over it. I can't use stealth. How in the world do I get passed these things?

I thought this part was freaking retarded. I switched to maromaro and ran underneath the lasers. I'd randomly get booted back down a floor even if I didnt trip any of the lasers, really pissed me off.

Top Bottom