• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blur |OT|

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
vidal said:
I have to wonder if Activision is going to stand by the philosophy of not stopping at the first entry and trying to make a franchise out of it. Blur blowing up into a franchise is something I actually wouldn't mind. More people would have played it had the ad campaign for it been a bit more straightforward instead of just "MARIO KART IS FOR BABY, BUY BLUR.

Considering the game bombed and ATVI sacked Bizzare? Extremely doubtful.

You should be more wondering when/if the servers will be shut down, given it's Activision.

Makoto

TheSeks said:
You should be more wondering when/if the servers will be shut down, given it's Activision.

That's what I'm expecting. Perhaps they'll give it another year seeing as how Activision isn't as aggressive as EA when it comes to shutdowns.

pakkit

Banned
Picked up this game because of the Power Saver sale.

It's definitely awesome. I've loved Bizarre Creations since the Dreamcast days. It's pretty incredible to see how their Kudos system evolved throughout the ages from MSR, to PGR 1-4, and finally as Fans in Blur.

Such a talented team, Kotick be damned.

TheSeks

pakkit said:
Such a talented team, Kotick be damned.

Agreed. Game's just as fun as the demo made it out to be. LOL ADULT MARIO KART be damned.

It's too bad the PSN community is starting to die. Powered Up racing is like 64-70 players whenever I play in the evening, learners is 6-7, and a sprinkle of 1-10 in other playlists (mostly 0 though). Guess I'll never reach rank/prestige 10 in this. :/

Stubo

Anyone still playing this on 360? I had a lot of fun playing this in months past, would be nice to jump back in soon. Are the servers actually likely to go down? This is a fear which is best left for updated sports games.

Fox Mulder

TheSeks said:
Considering the game bombed and ATVI sacked Bizzare? Extremely doubtful.

what other games have Activision shut down though? They're a dickish company, but EA is the one that shuts everything off. I still play Quantum of Solace for the 360 online and it's from way back in 2008 and another Bond game came out since. It would have been shutdown by now if EA had made it.

TheSeks

My point being: Bizzare is dead. Why should they support it? I'm sure if Activision wanted, they'd pull the plug in a heart beat. So far, they haven't done that so it must not be costing them that much money to let 100-1,000 players across all platforms play on the Blur servers.

The solution for Bizzare Creations was to join SONY and create a Racer which would fill the gap between GT releases. I wonder if they tried to get in touch with SONY to make a game like PGR.

I thinkPGR3 is possible the best racing game on current gen. It has awesome achievements and I got 1000/1000.

I remember spending hours getting Platinum badges.

I bought this for the pc a good few months back and forgot about, installed it earlier and gave it a shot.

Game seems to run rather low in frame rate on my pc, looking at 25-30fps in 1080p while other games usually hit 60, not a problem really but a little disappointed. Game looks great with all the fancy lighting and effects.

I had great fun with the demo long ago but I just can't get into this, I know fully what to expect but I can't sit and play it more then a few races at a time, i'll try it again after work.

TheSeks

FFFFFFUUUUUCKKKKK. I hate whoever at Bizzare made the "Ultimate Comeback" requirement for an achievement. 1st, then last, and then I can't catch up because Prestige 10 Rank 50 assholes have to use their prestige cars to screw me out of ever catching up with them.

Utter bullshit. I've been attempting this for three days now and that's how it's basically been going down on PSN. :|

TheSeks

Week old bump, but I'm close to pulling my hair out. I can't find a Barcelona Gracia Checkpoint run for Hard on the Midas Touch series of events anywhere online. And I can't seem to find a good racing line to get the 20 seconds five light target. Does anyone have one? D:

Just got this the other day, such an underrated racer, possibly the most fun i'v had on a racer since PGR 3. At least it has a small but dedicated fanbase.

A bit random but there needs to be another racing game sometime soon that handles like Blur, and offers 20 person races as smoothly as this game did. I don't think I've had more fun in a racing game this gen than those packed lobbies where every lap was swapping paint with anywhere from 14-19 other racers around me. So much fun.

Started in on this again last night. Been playing it for almost two years now and I STILL have a Career Path locked. This is a Bizarre game alright. :D

Also, the Koenigsegg I unlocked at Level 25 is an absolute monster.

Anyone still playing this on 360? I had a lot of fun playing this in months past, would be nice to jump back in soon. Are the servers actually likely to go down? This is a fear which is best left for updated sports games.

I'm still playing it and there's around 250 users every night. Not bad :D

The good thing about Blur is that even when the servers are closed, the game can live on through 4p split-screen.

Has anybody tried to system link? Wonder if you could do 4p per TV...hmmm

TheSeks

I'm still playing it and there's around 250 users every night. Not bad :D

That's roughly the same on PS3. But it seems the 20 player servers are dying. Any time I get on it's like 8-17 players in a server and then after a round some of them drop to where it's like 11-15. I can't seem to get a 20 player lobby anymore, which is a huge shame because 20 player races is chaos and what made me want to buy the game when the beta happened. :/

Is there any plans by ATVI to turn on double exp(er-"Fans") for the game now that it's starting to pretty much die? Getting to level 50 Legend/Prestige 10 seems to be a huge hassle and I'm not sure if it's worth going through Legend 2 and above for the sake of better cars to beat Barcelona Checkpoint on Hard. :/

The good thing about Blur is that even when the servers are closed, the game can live on through 4p split-screen.

I don't have gaming friends so no split screen for me.

I have the PC version which is dead and I'm thinking about grabbing the 360 version (again) just to play online on 360.

Fox Mulder

well people shit on activision at every chance, but EA is the company closing online servers down a year later for everything. It's possible that Activision has closed down online access to something with all the games they've sent to die this gen, but I can't think of anything.

TheSeks

well people shit on activision at every chance, but EA is the company closing online servers down a year later for everything. It's possible that Activision has closed down online access to something with all the games they've sent to die this gen, but I can't think of anything.

The problem is those games that are sent to "die"s online becomes dead due to no support. I'm sure some people would come back if Activision flipped whatever switch that is "double exp"/fans on for the game like Infinity Ward did for CoD4 when CoD6 released. :/

Iknos

Sometimes my cousin hosts 8 player Halo LAN parties so I bought 2 copies of this game so we could try it out.

Tough part is convincing people to give this game a shot. Does it have team modes or anything like that? Maybe I should read the manual lol

TheSeks

Sometimes my cousin hosts 8 player Halo LAN parties so I bought 2 copies of this game so we could try it out.

Tough part is convincing people to give this game a shot. Does it have team modes or anything like that? Maybe I should read the manual lol

It had team racing online. With or without powerups. Same for non-team racing. Not sure about offline/split-screen or LAN options.

I got this game the other day when it was a daily deal on Steam and wow, I was completely BLOWN AWAY!

Haven't spent much time in solo mode, but the multiplayer is almost perfect for me. Great balance in the powerups, no randomness and excellent arcadey controls make me wonder why this was shrugged off by many and isn't regarded as the best kart game ever. Unlike the sometimes bullshit randomizer that Mario Kart feels like, I have never been able to blame the game for screwing me over with some overpowered powerup. When someone hits me with a powerup and passes me right before the finish line I feel outwitted rather than unlucky.

The only thing I'm missing are some more fantastical themes in the stages which would make them more memorable, cities are pretty boring to race in and the cars don't have the personality of the Mario Kart characters and could have been presented differently. Also the network code is a bit bad sometimes with it dropping me out just as a race is about to start or giving me constant lag in some instances, but this is more of a peripheral problem to me which I can see past in the cases where it happens.

If anyone wants to race, my ingame name is Quaternion. I would love to see some sort of NeoGAF tournament if there is any interest for it.

Quote for Steam ID!

Jibbed

It had team racing online. With or without powerups. Same for non-team racing. Not sure about offline/split-screen or LAN options.

4-player splitscreen on this game is a blast, you can get a few (8 maybe?) AI cars in the mix as well and customise the power-ups.

THIS GAME IS AMAZING.

DD

The single player campaign is really poor, but the multiplayer is great. But I dunno why I had this f* NAT problem, so I couldn't play it properly online.

I changed my internet provider since them, but never downloaded the game again. Do you guys still play it? What about the game's net code? Can I play with people from other continents (I'm from Brazil)?

The single player campaign is really poor, but the multiplayer is great. But I dunno why I had this f* NAT problem, so I couldn't play it properly online.

I changed my internet provider since them, but never downloaded the game again. Do you guys still play it? What about the game's net code? Can I play with people from other continents (I'm from Brazil)?

There seems to be about a 100 people playing at most times, sometimes I've seen it go up to about 250, just enough to have some full games going. I've only had the game for a short time though so maybe it's just a recent surge because of the sale.

Impossible to know where the other players are as far as I know, there isn't really much info neither about other players nor server ping. You just have to hold your breath and hope that it will work smoothly in the next race (which kinda sucks). Don't know if it's the fault of the net code or if so few people are playing that the matchmaker puts people from around the world together in the same game which gives lag.

DD

There seems to be about a 100 people playing at most times, sometimes I've seen it go up to about 250, just enough to have some full games going. I've only had the game for a short time though so maybe it's just a recent surge because of the sale.

Impossible to know where the other players are as far as I know, there isn't really much info neither about other players nor server ping. You just have to hold your breath and hope that it will work smoothly in the next race (which kinda sucks). Don't know if it's the fault of the net code or if so few people are playing that the matchmaker puts people from around the world together in the same game which gives lag.

Thanks!

I forgot to mention that mine's the PC version.

Maybe I'll download it again sometime in the near future.

It's a good day when this thread gets bumped.

I have such fond memories of Blur, the whole package is so polished. Think i'm gonna pop it in today for some multi.

Now, if only I could only convince my friends to give this game a shot for split-screen...

How is multiplayer on live nowadays? I'm considering getting this game soon.

There's only a handful of people on at a given time, but I never have an issue joining games.

Most players on there now are top rank and pretty freakin' hard to beat, but with Blur it's still fun even if you don't come in first, imo.

gdt

Okay, love this game. Almost done(ish) with the SP.

BUT HOW THE FUCK DO I CLEAR THE LAST BOSS DEMAND.

Stay above 125 for an entire lap. Any tips for which race to do it in?

Top Bottom