• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blur |OT|

Xater

Got my game today after i played the demo. The game is super fun but the Blur servers are not online. What's up with that?

CozMick

Banned
Xater said:
Got my game today after i played the demo. The game is super fun but the Blur servers are not online. What's up with that?

Do you get this message when you first start up the game?

If so just ignore it and try Multiplayer, it should connect then ;)

Xater

CozMick said:
Do you get this message when you first start up the game?

If so just ignore it and try Multiplayer, it should connect then ;)

Nope that doesn't work either. The servers have been down for me the whole day (PS3 Version).

I was playing hardcore racing online late last night, it was actually more fun than I thought it would be. A nice break from the blast-a-thon matches every now and then.

UFRA

So just picked this game up a few days ago and took advantage of GameStops sale which had it for $50 brand new.

Very happy with the game. SUPER addictive and it's just good ol' fun overall. The chaotic 20 player races online are just awesome. Sure, you don't win all that much like you would in a normal racer if you have skill, since the power-ups really change the outcome of the races. However, even coming in 14th place I still have a smile on my face and enjoy every minute of it. Pretty impressive result when I'm normally used to winning in games.

I'm surprised at how few people are online though, WTF? During the afternoon on Sunday, there were about 1,200 on PS3. At night, there were only like 500-600. Really weird...

This game obviously went under the radar, but damn it deserves better sales. :(

fernoca

Toys R Us.com; has this for $30..with shiping and a discount it'll be $25 (shipped)...hmm..
Fuck it, I'll go for it. Was considering paying $50 yesterday at Gamestop; so paying half that amount is not a bad deal.

EDIT:
Meh, ended at $32..freaking $10 shipping..but still nice.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Game is awesome fun. It's Mario Kart with real cars and CoD perks. More than just racing too. Team based racing is fun and it has a nice destruction derby like mode. I've played about 5 hours of career and 5 in MP. It's just a fun time. Other racers could learn from Bizzare when it comes to the online.

Mush

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I haven't played this for awhile. How is the online community holding up?

Is it consistent?

I have the 30 version.
I strictly play the Powered-Up Racing playlist and I've had anywhere from 200 to 1000 people at a time (Keep in mind I'm on a different time zone to the US blah blah). Don't know about the other modes.

Mush said:
I strictly play the Powered-Up Racing playlist and I've had anywhere from 200 to 1000 people at a time (Keep in mind I'm on a different time zone to the US blah blah). Don't know about the other modes.
Thanks. I do want to get back into it. Good to know there are still people playing.

Oh, and I meant the 360 version! I wrote 30 version by mistake! :lol

I've grown to be infatuated with Blur lately. The game is so nicely polished, from the visual design to the handling model/weapon balance - it just feels right.

I also think the single player gets a bad rap. I just cleared it and had a great time. I found the standard difficulty to be a perfect challenge.

Yeah, I thought my multiplayer stint with this would be short as I don't normally enjoy multiplayer games. But Blur's multiplayer has put my single player career on hold, I've been playing nothing but online on the PS3 for the past week and a half. I love it. The 20 player races are such an amazing clusterfuck, it's great.

I was looking at the Japanese XBL marketplace yesterday and noticed the hilarious name this game got stuck with in Japan:

cboxjpblurracers.jpg

Got this game for birthday from a friend (along with the special edition of BioShock 2 and the Sega Genesis collection from two other friends :D - Yes I have been spoiled!) and it's AWESOME.

Seriously, more people should buy this game. There's practically no one playing this game among my friends and I can't convince them to buy the game.

So please, fellow NeoGAF gamers with headsets, ADD ME! :lol

PSN:
Caemgen

binary

Hung out with some friends on Saturday night and we must have spent 5+ hours playing 4 player Blur split screen. Usually we end up playing multiple games over the course of a night, but Blur was too good to stop playing. All my friends are talking about getting it now. :D

binary said:
Hung out with some friends on Saturday night and we must have spent 5+ hours playing 4 player Blur split screen. Usually we end up playing multiple games over the course of a night, but Blur was too good to stop playing. All my friends are talking about getting it now. :D

That's what happens, I'll say, "Ok, just one more race." And the next thing you know another hour has gone by. I'm up to level 45 I think.

Zero Hero

leng jai said:
This game is hard as balls after the first 2 hours...

Yep. There is a race holding me back that I've tried at least 40 times and haven't broken 4th.
Thankfully this is a game on GameSpot's list of titles to trade in for $20 off Madden 11.

UFRA

Zero Hero said:
Yep. There is a race holding me back that I've tried at least 40 times and haven't broken 4th.
Thankfully this is a game on GameSpot's list of titles to trade in for $20 off Madden 11.

Pffffft. What difficulty are you guys playing on? I'm on Medium and while it's hard at times, the difficulty seems just right.

I'm 88% done with the career, and I've gotten all 7 lights on every event so far.

UFRA said:
Pffffft. What difficulty are you guys playing on? I'm on Medium and while it's hard at times, the difficulty seems just right.

I agree. It's not as difficult as people make it out to be. I'm going through on hard now and its not all that bad (save for 2 events)

I own this and played online. I don't see the appeal in multi like everyone's saying. Every race feels the same. Do I need to level up more to enjoy it? I think I'm level 12 or something.

UFRA

Just finished career mode 100% on Medium.

Now to eventually work on the platinum trophy since it seems pretty reasonable.

UFRA said:
Just finished career mode 100% on Medium.

Now to eventually work on the platinum trophy since it seems pretty reasonable.

I'm going through hard now as well. It's actually nice to just try to win races without having to worry about fan demands/gates. Difficulty-wise it's not too bad, except for 2 checkpoint races that are hard as shit.

UFRA

betweenthewheels said:
I'm going through hard now as well. It's actually nice to just try to win races without having to worry about fan demands/gates. Difficulty-wise it's not too bad, except for 2 checkpoint races that are hard as shit.

Wow, I'm glad you said this.

For some reason I was thinking that you needed to get all 7 lights for each event on Hard. After reading it again, it's just the Primary lights, so like you said it's just about getting 1st place and enjoying the racing rather than the fan demands/runs.

Now I'm definitely going to go for platinum since I'm totally up for the challenge. The fan demands and runs got a bit tedious at times and took away from the fun of the racing, so this will be fun to go through simply racing on Hard. :D

UFRA said:
The fan demands and runs got a bit tedious at times and took away from the fun of the racing, so this will be fun to go through simply racing on Hard. :D

Yeah, to the point where I outright hate them. Which boggles my mind how one reviewer, think it was IGN, claimed they were more appealing than the actual races. Um, yeah, ok.

UFRA

Spectral Glider said:
Yeah, to the point where I outright hate them. Which boggles my mind how one reviewer, think it was IGN, claimed they were more appealing than the actual races. Um, yeah, ok.

:lol

That's pretty laughable. The fan demands could be pretty fun at times, but the fan runs were just annoying. Usually right as I'm about to complete one I'd get hit by an AI racer or power-up and miss a gate and it just pissed me off.

Usually I would first go through and do the fan runs and demands, and then go and get first place so that I could just enjoy the racing which is so fun.

Chaplain

Spectral Glider said:
So I legend up last night and discover you lose all the cars too.....grrr. Oh well, it will be fun getting them again.

It took me 8 or so levels before leveling up became fun again.

UFRA

Spectral Glider said:
So I legend up last night and discover you lose all the cars too.....grrr. Oh well, it will be fun getting them again.

Ah so you do lose the cars. I guess I won't do legend mode then.

Instead, I'm going to work on getting all 3 upgrades (Fans, health, power) to my favorite cars in each class. That's quite a task in itself, so it will still keep me coming back for more.

Just got to level 50 last night.

Game Analyst said:
It took me 8 or so levels before leveling up became fun again.

Yeah, you may be right, after about 20 or so races I went back to the single player for awhile to open some more things up there. I did OK after the legend upgrade, had several top 3s and maybe two wins. But I miss my favorite cars. It's funny, after the online races, the single player ones seem like a breeze.

Chaplain

UFRA said:
Ah so you do lose the cars. I guess I won't do legend mode then.

Instead, I'm going to work on getting all 3 upgrades (Fans, health, power) to my favorite cars in each class. That's quite a task in itself, so it will still keep me coming back for more.

Just got to level 50 last night.

Without legend there is no way to get all of the legendary cars.

Spectral Glider said:
Yeah, you may be right, after about 20 or so races I went back to the single player for awhile to open some more things up there. I did OK after the legend upgrade, had several top 3s and maybe two wins. But I miss my favorite cars. It's funny, after the online races, the single player ones seem like a breeze.

I played without legend for a few games until I saw all of the fans that I was earning were not leveling me up anymore. It took some of the joy away from the game. That is when I plunged into Legend and I think the game does get better but it takes many levels to start enjoying it again.

UFRA

Game Analyst said:
Without legend there is no way to get all of the legendary cars.

I don't care about the legendary cars. I just want to upgrade all 3 bonus stats to my favorite cars and just enjoy playing online.

What's the community like on 360 currently?

My live expired mid way through single player...now that i've done all there is to do offline, I wanna jump into multiplayer if it's still active.

Chaplain

betweenthewheels said:

My live expired mid way through single player...now that i've done all there is to do offline, I wanna jump into multiplayer if it's still active.

There are between 800 to 1300 players during the day time (between 8am to 5pm pst). I do not know about night time though.

Game Analyst said:
There are between 800 to 1300 players during the day time (between 8am to 5pm pst). I do not know about night time though.

Good enough for me, i'll have to get gold again.

I really love the hell out of this game, its great to pickup for a few races...or many, thats the beauty of it.

U2NUMB

betweenthewheels said:

Yep plenty online all the time on the 360. Game is amazing at taking 20-30 people in a playlist total and putting them together

Just popped this in again tonight and I'd forgotten how spectacular this game is, and this is coming from someone who only really plays the SP. I'm working my way through at about 91 lights, and I just started going through I think the fourth tier of challenges and the new tracks are just jawdropping. That one in Barcelona with the sort of slant at the end of the lap?

:O

And the one in the docks that way wider open than the first one? With the sick. Ass. Jumps?

Ye gods, this may be the perfect racing game.

UFRA

BenjaminBirdie said:
Just popped this in again tonight and I'd forgotten how spectacular this game is, and this is coming from someone who only really plays the SP. I'm working my way through at about 91 lights, and I just started going through I think the fourth tier of challenges and the new tracks are just jawdropping. That one in Barcelona with the sort of slant at the end of the lap?

And the one in the docks that way wider open than the first one? With the sick. Ass. Jumps?

Ye gods, this may be the perfect racing game.

Until November 2nd.

crispyben

Phew, just spent two hours in the Hardcore Racing (no power-ups) playlist to try and win ONE race, but no luck... Even with only four players! Should GAF try and invade that playlist so we take turns winning? :D I mean, I like coming in second will somebody has a 12x winning streak, but I'd like to complete that requirement...

crispyben said:
Phew, just spent two hours in the Hardcore Racing (no power-ups) playlist to try and win ONE race, but no luck... Even with only four players! Should GAF try and invade that playlist so we take turns winning? :D I mean, I like coming in second will somebody has a 12x winning streak, but I'd like to complete that requirement...

Hardcore is tough, but I've won two races, including one just last night. For one, you really have to match a car you know well with a track you know inside and out. For me, it's all about grip and speed. And, it also helps if you get a starting point near the front of the pack. It's so much harder to get through the pack on hard core. And a little luck doesn't hurt, the one I won last night had a lot to do with the fact that the 1st and 2nd place guys basically took each other out while I blasted on by.

I played team racing and motor mash for the first time last night, they're pretty fun. Shame more people aren't playing them though.

mclaren777

I just tried to play the demo and it said that the servers were unavailable at this time.

Did they take them down after the game launched?

UFRA

mclaren777 said:
I just tried to play the demo and it said that the servers were unavailable at this time.

Did they take them down after the game launched?

That's a common glitch with the game.

When you first start up the game, it automatically tries to connect to the Blur servers. For me, and a lot of people, it fails to connect. All you need to do is ignore that, and continue on to multiplayer to the PSN option and it will try to reconnect, and is always successful.

Just a silly glitch, nothing more.

Top Bottom