• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO Wkd 06•16-18•17 - Queen is dethroned, all hail McQueen, ScarJo roughed up

kswiston

For the new page

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Transformers: The Last Knight - $13.7M - $37.5M total
2) Cars 3 - $7.6M (-61%) - $82M total
3) Wonder Woman - $7.4M (-32%) - $301M total
4) 47 Meters Down - $2.3M (-57%) - $19M total
5) All Eyez On Me - $1.9M (-85%) - $35M total
6) The Mummy - $1.7M (-54%) - $64M total
7) Pirates of the Caribbean 5 - $1.6M (-33%) - $156M total
8) Rough Night - $1.6M (-53%) - $14M total
9) Captain Underpants - $1.4M (-32%) - $63M total
10) Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 880k (-28%) - $378M total

Anth0ny

The Last Knight is at $93M in China after 2 days.

EDIT: Probably around $130M for the weekend there.

Transformers almost certainly won't make in its entire domestic run what it'll make in China in one weekend.

With DM3 and Spidey coming up in the next two weeks, there's a chance it doesn't hit $100m domestic.

:|

kswiston

All Eyez on me was savaged, so no surprise.

It's looking like a 76-78% drop this weekend. All Eyez on Me is going to have one of the worst opening weekend multipliers ever for a film released in 2k+ venues.

So what's the weekend looking for TF5? From the Friday estimates I'd say around $60 million?

Only counting the weekend of course.

Fri: $13.7M
Sat: $15.1M (+10%)
Sun: $11.3M (-25%)
TOTAL = $40.1M
5-DAY TOTAL = $63.9M

kswiston

Wonder Woman continues to have fantastic holds. No doubt helped by the fact that pretty much everything since GotG2 has under performed.

Next weekend should be interesting, since Despicable Me 2 is shaping up to be bigger than expected a few weeks back. Reviews also aren't terrible. They aren't comparable to the "100% on Rotten Tomatoes" glory of Baby Driver, but perhaps it will hold up better than Minions.

The Last Knight is at $93M in China after 2 days.

EDIT: Probably around $130M for the weekend there.

What % of China's gross do you think they'll actually get to keep? With it faltering more and more in the US I'm assuming they're gonna eventually have to reel in their budgets somewhat.

They aren't comparable to the "100% on Rotten Tomatoes" glory of Baby Driver, but perhaps it will hold up better than Minions.

I was about to joke that it's only at 100% because Armond White hasn't probably reviewed it yet, but apparently he has! And he gave it a fresh!

It's looking like a 76-78% drop this weekend. All Eyez on Me is going to have one of the worst opening weekend multipliers ever for a film released in 2k+ venues.

They only got 2K+ venues because they were able to convince theater chains that this was this year's SOC.

Gotta give props to the geniuses that pulled that off.

kswiston

What % of China's gross do you think they'll actually get to keep? With it faltering more and more in the US I'm assuming they're gonna eventually have to reel in their budgets somewhat.

There was a rumor that Chinese distributors/studios gave Paramount a guarantee of $130M in China. This might have been in exchange for extended rights there. I am not sure.

Either way, if true, Paramount made out like bandits. The film is probably heading for a $250-300M finish in China, which would normally be a $63-75M cut.

Billion dollar at the box office confirmed.

Just like Jonah Hex!

There was a rumor that Chinese distributors/studios gave Paramount a guarantee of $130M in China. This might have been in exchange for extended rights there. I am not sure.

Either way, if true, Paramount made out like Bandits. The Film is probably heading for a $250-300M finish in China, which would normally be a $63-75M cut.

Ah, wow. I know you've mentioned that China's cut is high before, but a $250-$300 total normally yielding only $75 mil on the high end is still so surprising. I guess $130 mil is "generous" compared to that.

Mrbob

Wonder Woman continues to have fantastic holds. No doubt helped by the fact that pretty much everything since GotG2 has under performed.

Next weekend should be interesting, since Despicable Me 2 is shaping up to be bigger than expected a few weeks back. Reviews also aren't terrible. They aren't comparable to the "100% on Rotten Tomatoes" glory of Baby Driver, but perhaps it will hold up better than Minions.

Can Illumination finally create a full quality movie? Seems like they get 4/5 the way there but don't stick the landing. Not that their movies are awful....just that they never reach great. Stuck in above average.

Minions should have been an easy victory for Illumination. Not sure how they screwed it up.

kswiston

Can Illumination finally create a full quality movie? Seems like they get 4/5 the way there but don't stick the landing. Not that their movies are awful....just that they never reach great. Stuck in above average.

DM3 won't be that film. Average rating is in the same 6/10 range that almost all of their recent films have landed in.

kswiston

This thread is about to become the longest box office thread since the BvS 2nd weekend fun last April. 6th longest of all time after Avengers' first weekend, TFA x2 and BvS x2.

Damn I just noticed how stacked the next 5 weeks are.

Baby Driver
Apes
Spider-Man
Dunkirk
Atomic Blonde

There's a lot of good/potentially good films coming out in the next month or so.

gamz

For the new page

Friday Studio Estimates:

So WW will probably top off at around 360-370

I feel like TFA & Star Trek need to be flip-flopped there. Abrams made a teensy-bit better Star Wars movie with Star Trek than he did with Star Wars.

BumRush

Friday Studio Estimates:

$300M for WW and not stopping any time soon...amazing!

Dinda

How is Atomic Blonde going to perform? On par with the first John Wick? The second John Wick? Does Charlize give it a bigger bump than Keanu?

I think it is estimated to open a bit over 25M with about 80M at the end.
Personally i think those numbers would be pretty great for this movie if they became true. I really hope it does, because it looks absolutely fantastic, and i love Charlize...
Would of course also be great for Female Led Action Movies in general.

As for John Wick, i think that would put it comfortably over the first one and a bit under the sequel.

firelogic

I think it is estimated to open a bit over 25M with about 80M at the end.
Personally i think those numbers would be pretty great for this movie if they became true. I really hope it does, because it looks absolutely fantastic, and i love Charlize...

As for John Wick, i think that would put it comfortably over the first one and a bit under the sequel.

I agree, it looks like it'll be a blast and of course Charlize is awesome.

Friday Studio Estimates:

Watching WW today, not surprised at the hold, great reviews and feedback. i Guess WW has beaten the latest DC films in NA then in terms of sales?

but oh lawd at the 2pac film, the bad reviews and negative word of mouth def' killed its 2nd week.

Top Bottom