• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO Wkd 06•16-18•17 - Queen is dethroned, all hail McQueen, ScarJo roughed up

rise2ksse.png

dawn7us55.png

War Apes: 94% RT, 8.2 avg.

El Topo

My directors cut I made from the ripped Blu-ray is 46 minutes long or so. All of that talking cut out.

Sounds like a better movie. I don't know. It was a really shitty day when I watched that movie, so maybe that hurt my experience and made me judge the movie unfairly.

GhaleonEB

Pacific Rim was amazing in concept, just okay okay in execution, and had a lot of stupid shit that brought the whole thing down several pegs (the scientist rom-com that ran through it was dreadful).

Everyone talking about how great it was must talking about the fight scenes where giant robots punched giant monsters, because those parts were mostly pretty good. But there was a lot of dreck hanging off the sides. Which is why I'm not that excited for part 2 despite being totally on board with giant robots punching giant monsters.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Everyone talking about how great it was must talking about the fight scenes where giant robots punched giant monsters, because those parts were mostly pretty good. But there was a lot of dreck hanging off the sides. Which is why I'm not that excited for part 2 despite being totally on board with giant robots punching giant monsters.
Eh, obiviously. I dont expect Shakespear when I put a movie with giant monsters and robots into my Blu-Ray player.

BumRush

Pacific Rim was amazing in concept, just okay okay in execution, and had a lot of stupid shit that brought the whole thing down several pegs (the scientist rom-com that ran through it was dreadful).

This is word for word, exactly how I feel about PacRim

I love Pacific Rim because I saw the trailer and thought "THAT is FUCKING SHAKESPEAREAN" and then I watched the movie and was like "LOOK AT ALL THESE GODDAMNED MORONS ACTING LIKE CARDBOARD ASSHOLES SO SHAKESPEAREAN" and then eventually people in robots fought neon rubber finger-puppets that are 8 stories tall and there was *guitar riff* and I was like "BILLY SHAKES WOULD HAVE FUCKING LOVED THIS LOWBROW SPECTACLE"

Because Shakespeare wrote melodramatic soap opera. Shakespeare was David E. Kelley and Dick Wolf all at the same time. Shakespeare made violent, dumb, loud pop art about idiot teenagers and grown adults who behaved like idiot teenagers because people love that shit.

If Shakespeare had access to Michael Bay's toolbox you best believe he'd have cranked out Pearl Harbor.

It just woulda had better dialog.

(probably a better soundtrack)

Toa TAK

Banned
I love Pacific Rim because I saw the trailer and thought "THAT is FUCKING SHAKESPEAREAN" and then I watched the movie and was like "LOOK AT ALL THESE GODDAMNED MORONS ACTING LIKE CARDBOARD ASSHOLES SO SHAKESPEAREAN" and then eventually people in robots fought neon rubber finger-puppets that are 8 stories tall and there was *guitar riff* and I was like "BILLY SHAKES WOULD HAVE FUCKING LOVED THIS LOWBROW SPECTACLE"

Because Shakespeare wrote melodramatic soap opera. Shakespeare was David E. Kelley and Dick Wolf all at the same time. Shakespeare made violent, dumb, loud pop art about idiot teenagers and grown adults who behaved like idiot teenagers because people love that shit.

If Shakespeare had access to Michael Bay's toolbox you best believe he'd have cranked out Pearl Harbor.

It just woulda had better dialog.

(probably a better soundtrack)

7vX9cJA.gif

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I thought the characters in Pacific Rim were pretty fun. The zany scientists, the angry jock with daddy issues, fucking Hannibal Chau. I thought the relationship between Idris and Rinko was pretty touching. Its captures the charming corniness of anime and Power Rangers.

Sluggish?

They has weight bro

And the CG looked so good 👀

Oh God

Am I wrong?

I should rewatch Pacific Rim
Maybe you should!

I've heard the "weight" argument made before, and I kind of just shrug. The problem for me is there are loads of anime shows featuring giant robots that are way more exciting for me because of the crazy fast and acrobatic shit they did. The central conceit of Pacific Rim is that the pilots are literally performing the actions the jaegers do. And yet they move with about the same grace and speed as you would expect from using an Xbox 360 controller.

Also, I think it's hilarious Idris Elba's speech works 10 times better in the trailer than in the actual movie.

Toa TAK

Banned
Maybe you should!

I've heard the "weight" argument made before, and I kind of just shrug. The problem for me is there are loads of anime shows featuring giant robots that are way more exciting for me because of the crazy fast and acrobatic shit they did. The central conceit of Pacific Rim is that the pilots are literally performing the actions the jaegers do. And yet they move with about the same grace and speed as you would expect from using an Xbox 360 controller.

Also, I think it's hilarious Idris Elba's speech works 10 times better in the trailer than in the actual movie.

Eh. That's why I like it. I like the sluggishness. It's what I'd expect.

Then again, I've never been in to the anime.

GhaleonEB

Eh, obiviously. I dont expect Shakespear when I put a movie with giant monsters and robots into my Blu-Ray player.

My expectations for Pacific Rim were not calibrated to "Shakespear". I wanted to have fun and see robots beating up monsters and vice versa. I got that and a lot of pretty bad stuff in between. I wanted less bad stuff.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
The Shakespeare/Citizen Kane rebuttals are so annoying when you criticize a dumb blockbuster. Literally no one is expecting high art from those movies. I just want some good characters and dialogue in between the punchy bits.

Pacific Rim was an acquired taste for me. Didn't care much for it in theaters because of the human stuff and the action scenes at night and underwater.

But having seen it a couple more times on blu-ray since, I've grown really fond of it. On a nice tv, the fights look incredible and I kinda like Charlie Day and his rival. It's one of my favorite kaiju films now.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The Shakespeare/Citizen Kane rebuttals are so annoying when you criticize a dumb blockbuster. Literally no one is expecting high art from those movies. I just want some good characters and dialogue in between the punchy bits.

Then should people not make it sound like they awaited high art with characters who are not black and white and more 50 shades of gray and a story that would be retold in 50 years.

Pachimari

It annoys me I don't remember anything of the new Apes movies. I know I've seen Rise of the Planet of the Apes but is not so sure if I've seen Dawn. I might have. Anyway, the new one coming out is the perfect excuse to go back and revisit them anyway, so I might just as well put on Rise like right now!

Toa TAK

Banned

Hey, I'm just asking for competent blockbusters, whether or not the concept is inherently dumb or not.

Transformers is a dumb blockbuster that fails in every conceivable level in storytelling. That's (mostly) why people bash it.

Whatever latest MCU product that just came out can at least do that, and that's why people are content and enjoy themselves when they see one, despite the idea of superheroes being ridiculous.

aBarreras

i love pacific rim because even tho i admit the human stuff can be bad for some people (i really liked but i am a sucker for hunam, and now rinko) i really appreciatte that even tho it was inspired on animes like evangelion, they didnt go to the typical breakdown where the protagonist doesnt what to do or why or something.

i mean hunams character has a breakdown, but not in the middle of a fucking battle for humanity like some others anime characters

DeathyBoy

Banned
Is that even a question?

The movie will be better than Spidey, hell, Dawn is better than most of the MCU.

It's better than all.

People might enjoy upper level MCU more, but Dawn is unquestionably better made in every possible regard. Even Keri Russell's role has more depth than your best Marvel lead female.

J_Viper

It's better than all.

People might enjoy upper level MCU more, but Dawn is unquestionably better made in every possible regard. Even Keri Russell's role has more depth than your best Marvel lead female.

Lmao no

I love Dawn, but the human characters are all lame.

Slayven

I was asked to go to see transformers tomorrow, but i thought about 2 and a half hours of clashing metal in surround sound and almost vomited. I don't mind the transformers movie, but only in the comfort of my own home.

DeathyBoy

Banned
This is an amazing usage of internet hyperbole!

You really going to argue that Civil War shooting shit entirely on green screen is more impressive technically than Dawn mo-capping most of their film in real locations, no one having any idea if it'd actually work or not?

Top Bottom