• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO Wkd 06•16-18•17 - Queen is dethroned, all hail McQueen, ScarJo roughed up

FoneBone

It's not that Transformers 5 will lose money. It's more about the health of the franchise. Paramount was planning on taking Transformers Yearly.

Why they made those plans after Age of Extinction showed major signs of franchise fatigue everywhere except China is just mind-boggling.

Slayven

It's not that Transformers 5 will lose money. It's more about the health of the franchise. Paramount was planning on taking Transformers Yearly.

Has any of these grand plans panned out?

Seems like folks are starting fried chicken multinational franchises before the first egg is laid

First estimates from Deadline:
$12.5M for TF5
$7M for WW and Cars 3
$2.7M for Eyez (this may be a typo, since it would represent a 125% increase from Thursday, ridiculously high for this time of year)

Your face is incredibly dangerous
Get 'im.

Aren't the review embargos for Spider-Man AND War for the Planet of the Apes up the same day?
Following up, I'm not sure when the embargo lifts for Apes. But critics will be free to tweet reactions after seeing Spider-Man tonight.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
My god Transformers flopping overseas and domestically.

Paramount needs saving - must reboot The Last Airbender, that'll save 'em!

Toa TAK

Banned
Anybody insulting my face is being reported to the FBI
giphy.gif

kswiston

Anyone catching a film in theatres this weekend before multiplexes switch to playing Baby Driver on 10-20 screens next Wednesday?

What's up with these Shakespearean comments?

I figure Bobby has been reading a BvS thread, since that would probably do it.
Also, yeah that 'standing ovation' shit is odd as hell. The only time I've ever seen people clapping at a movie was when during a student screening for a movie that most felt was boring, mostly due to not being mature enough to deal with it. They clapped because it was over, not because of the movie.

My theater had the strangest reaction to Transformers. Some people seemed really into it, and we're gasping as the giant alien planet dwarfed our puny little Earth, and others we're openly bored, texting, or just trying to figure out what the heck was going on. One guy next to me who came on his own and committed to seeing this movie just straight up left after an hour and a half.

Your face is a warrant!

200.gif

Is that even a question?

The movie will be better than Spidey, hell, Dawn is better than most of the MCU.

It's better than any movie in either mcu or dceu tbh. If War is an improvement that would be exciting. Just a couple weeks

This stretch coming up is dope. Baby Driver, Spiderman, Apes, Dunkirk, Valerian, Big Sick

I think Spider-Man or valerian will likely be the worst of them and they look like a fun time. And these are all week to week. Gonna spend a lot of time at the theaters this summer.

Toa TAK

Banned
It's better than any movie in either mcu or dceu tbh. If War is an improvement that would be exciting. Just a couple weeks

This stretch coming up is dope. Baby Driver, Spiderman, Apes, Dunkirk, Valerian, Big Sick

I think Spider-Man or valerian will likely be the worst of them and they look like a fun time. And these are all week to week. Gonna spend a lot of time at the theaters this summer.
Completely forgot about Big Sick. I'm gonna be bummed if War drops the ball in some way, but it doesn't seem like that based on some early reactions.
Disco picking up the slack for me cause I ain't gone to movies in a hot minute
Shame on you.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Interview Luc gave in Empire was great. States he doesn't give a fuck if Valarian makes money, he's proud of the film.

I expect Baby Driver and Apes to be my favorite summer movies. Valerian is the wild card. I never know what to expect with Besson. If we get Fifth Element Besson, then it might end up in my top ten for 2017.

Interview Luc gave in Empire was great. States he doesn't give a fuck if Valarian makes money, he's proud of the film.

If Valerian doesn't make money, ten new Taken films will spontaneously materialize into existence anyway.

BumRush

I hope it makes money. Trailers look really good.

I actually think the trailers make it look generic. Definitely didn't do the film any favors. I'm really intrigued as to how it does but I (unfortunately) think it's going to flop hard.

Dinda

Means I can never be a good teacher on mobile WW still playing in 4K theatres in it's 4th wknd while the rest shed screens

Wonder Woman has 3933 Screens this Weekend according to Deadline.

and i also don't understand what you are trying to say. The fact that it now has more screens than those is a direct consequence of it's better legs compared to the others. Where you just stating that?

#WonderWoman broke $300M barrier FRI in 22nd day. $7.35M heading to about $27M wknd, cume rising to $320M. $400M final can't be ruled out.
https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/status/878619233701253120

DeathyBoy

Banned

and i also don't understand what you are trying to say. The fact that it now has more screens than those is a direct consequence of it's better legs compared to the others. Where you just stating that?

#WonderWoman broke $300M barrier FRI in 22nd day. $7.35M heading to about $27M wknd, cume rising to $320M. $400M final can't be ruled out.

So it's flat out going to iugross BvS and most MCU films?

El Topo

I hope it makes money. Trailers look really good.

I feel like we've only seen about two minutes and barely got much information about the actual movie (in the trailers). Really like what I've seen, except for DeHaan, who I feel is miscast.

MANUELF

Banned

That weekend would put the film at number 7 on highest fourth weekends ever

Dinda

So it's flat out going to iugross BvS and most MCU films?

If it really ends up with about 400M domestic (which i also think it could, but it's a stretch) it would basically only be behind the Avengers movies (623M and 459M) together with a few others.

It would then be in the same ballpark as Iron Man 3 (409m), Civil War (408m) and Guardians 2 which will probably also end with about 400M.
But let's wait how the next weeks go.

Edit. The moment it would be over the 381M from the last Potter movie, it would also be Warner Brothers 3rd best domestic result ever (not adjusted for Inflation) after only the Dark Knight (533M) and The Dark Knight Rises (448). Who would have thought?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

The mythical 4x multiplier here we come.

I was more high on Wonder Woman's box office chances than some other people, but I still never thought it was going to hit 400 million domestic. Crazy that a film that opened above 100 million is going to hit a 4x multiplier.

Eh I'm thinking it will top out around $370m or so. Which is still a once-in-a-generation sort of run for a summer movie. About $100m over what I thought it would finish at after the reviews/opening weekend.

Busty

Banned
Eh I'm thinking it will top out around $370m or so. Which is still a once-in-a-generation sort of run for a summer movie. About $100m over what I thought it would finish at after the reviews/opening weekend.

It will hit $400m domestic per my prediction/
prophecy.
back in May.

I have..., foretold it.

Anybody insulting my face is being reported to the FBI*

Federal Bobbie Inspector

Fixed.

This department now exists in Trump's America.

There is nothing funny about this.

*serious face*

Why would he? It's not as if he's the one paying for it.

Anth0ny

with a $27m can WW beat Cars 3 and Transformers this weekend? kinda not fair for Transformers since it opened on a Wednesday but does it look like I give a FUCK?

kswiston

with a $27m can WW beat Cars 3 and Transformers this weekend? kinda not fair for Transformers since it opened on a Wednesday but does it look like I give a FUCK?

Cars 3 edged out Wonder Woman on Friday with $7.57M. It will be close. WW has no chance at beating Transformers this weekend though.

Wonder Woman also needs to increase about 55% today to hit $27M, which isn't guaranteed by any means. $25-27M for the weekend is probably the range.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Transformers: The Last Knight - $13.7M - $37.5M total
2) Cars 3 - $7.6M (-61%) - $82M total
3) Wonder Woman - $7.4M (-32%) - $301M total
4) 47 Meters Down - $2.3M (-57%) - $19M total
5) All Eyez On Me - $1.9M (-85%) - $35M total
6) The Mummy - $1.7M (-54%) - $64M total
7) Pirates of the Caribbean 5 - $1.6M (-33%) - $156M total
8) Rough Night - $1.6M (-53%) - $14M total
9) Captain Underpants - $1.4M (-32%) - $63M total
10) Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 880k (-28%) - $378M total

Anth0ny

Cars 3 edged out Wonder Woman on Friday with $7.57M. It will be close. WW has no chance at beating Transformers this weekend though.

Wonder Woman also needs to increase about 55% today to hit $27M, which isn't guaranteed by any means. $25-27M for the weekend is probably the range.

Ah damn it.

Well looks like the estimates for Transformers is $60m over 5 days which is... fucking abysmal. It should do around $36.2m from Friday to Sunday... but I'm expecting it to underperform on that number.

3N16MA

Banned
I stopped in at TRU yesterday and was suprised to see how little DM3 merchandise they had. No massive display, no end cap, just a small part of an aisle. Minions merchandise is sold year round but it looks like they didn't bother selling anything beyond the regular stuff.

In comparison the merchandise monster known as Cars had a massive store front display, end cap, half aisle of space.

Surprising considering Universal markets the hell out of Illumination projects and they pump out DM/Minions merchandise like crazy. They had as much SLOP merchandise as Disney/Pixar had Dory.

Of course all of this is anecdotal evidence and not solid evidence of a dwindling interest in the franchise.

Top Bottom