• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomba? Mirror's Edge Catalyst PS4/XB1 $40 ($32 with GCU) at Best Buy, $42 at Amazon

Not even two weeks and it's already being slashed.

Best Buy has it for $39.99 with free shipping. If you're a member of their Gamer's Club Unlocked service, you can take it down to $31.99 with free shipping.

PS4
Xbox One

Amazon has it for $41.99 with free two-day shipping if you have Amazon Prime.

PS4
Xbox One

So, is the game any good? I did enjoy the first one. Seems like a lot of people were clamoring for a sequel, got what they asked for and not much buzz after that.

Bedlam

Man, it's a really good game.
Maybe. But a rather soulless open world with busywork tasks is not what I wanted from a ME sequel. To me it seems it is also missing that certain charm that the first game had.

Surely there must be a version of that duck comic strip with "everything was open-world"?

Maybe. But a rather soulless open world with busywork tasks is not what I wanted from a ME sequel. To me it seems it is also missing that certain charm that the first game had.

Surely there must be a version of that duck comic strip with "everything was open-world"?

I remember calling this the instant I saw the first real unedited gameplay.

Absolutely not what this game needed. Was this DICE'S decision or EA's?

Robiin

It's an okay, but soulless version of Mirror's Edge. The missions (so far, I am not too far into it) are good, but the open world does it no favors at all. I completed the first game like 5 times, got all achievements and competed in the Time Trials until the meta became bunny hops and kick-glitches, and I am very dissapointed.

The open nature of the world makes me more inclined to follow the red markers because otherwise I'll end up at a dead end or on the wrong side of the district. And half the time when I try to go freestyle mode, jumps that I feel like I should be able to make gets me killed.

And the first hours are boring because you have a god damn upgrade tree and XP is required to unlock basic moves that were in the first game.

And then the most dissapointing moment comes - you get a fucking grappling hook. I loved Mirror's Edge because it forced me to get creative to reach my destination. Now time trials just becomes "find the hidden grappling point" to get the fastest time.

Guess Who

Banned
Open world always seemed like a strange direction to take the franchise. From what I played of the first one and it always felt more like a platformer - you want tight, clever level design with thoughtfully placed obstacles and platforms. That's really hard to do consistently well on the scale of a massive open world game. The Time Trial DLC really went all in on that, totally abandoning the dystopian-city aesthetic in favor of abstract shapes and colors to let the designers make level designs unbound by the limits of real-world architecture that were perfect for speedrunning. Unfortunately open-world is all the rage and "the Battlefield studio wants to make a high-budget 3D platformer" probably didn't sound near as marketable in a pitch meeting.

Carl

It's an okay, but soulless version of Mirror's Edge. The missions (so far, I am not too far into it) are good, but the open world does it no favors at all. I completed the first game like 5 times, got all achievements and competed in the Time Trials until the meta became bunny hops and kick-glitches, and I am very dissapointed.

The open nature of the world makes me more inclined to follow the red markers because otherwise I'll end up at a dead end or on the wrong side of the district. And half the time when I try to go freestyle mode, jumps that I feel like I should be able to make gets me killed.

And the first hours are boring because you have a god damn upgrade tree and XP is required to unlock basic moves that were in the first game.

And then the most dissapointing moment comes - you get a fucking grappling hook. I loved Mirror's Edge because it forced me to get creative to reach my destination. Now time trials just becomes "find the hidden grappling point" to get the fastest time.

That's ruined any intention i ever had to buy the game when it's cheap

D-Stubbs

Well damn I was gonna wait maybe a month to get it hoping I'd find it on sale but not that quick. How long does this deal last? Is it one of their weekly ones?

The side missions are the worst kind of filler too.

I get what they were trying to do. An open world traversal playground. But by locking things to an upgrade tree, it limited the players ability to move around it, and design choices about the city itself made free running between objectives without using the guiding line impractical.

In the last third of the game now and am just mainlining it and waiting for it to be over. Such a shame.

And the forced combat is so frustrating. Seems like some exec said "games need combat to sell! Look at all the best selling games! Put combat in there!!" So unnecessary and not what ME's DNA is.

I'm not surprised.. nobody really wanted Mirrors Edge 2 besides the very small vocal community of gamers. It's a shame EA caved.

EGM1966

I doubt it sold that well although not sure about bomba.

It's a sequel to a game I wanted more off but one that made a bunch of design decisions I didn't like.

I'll get it eventually but reviews and WOM plus taking a look via a friend dropped this from full price purchase to buy later for cheap.

Guess the IP might be dead now which is a shame but there's also no point it surviving if it's not delivering the experience the original went for.

Dremark

Banned

I didn't even realize it was open world, there's been so little buzz on it, I didn't even realize it was out yet.

I was kind of disappointed it was a reboot but I was still interested. Reading the other comments makes me not want to bother, it sounds like it was completely mismanaged.

ST2K

As someone who didn't play the first, I enjoyed it.

Initially I got hooked by the feel of the movement in the specifically crafted missions and thought the open world felt kind of unnaturally jammed in. After exploring and doing time trials, I've come around on the open world and and how it allows you to really explore and find the fastest routes to certain areas. They should probably have focused more on those aspects in main missions to introduce players to them.

Hopefully more people will give it a shot. I feel like the hardcore Mirror's Edge fans have been eager to hate it in a decidedly unfair manner. It's not flawless, but it's great fun.

Pandy

Anyone want to contradict this?
As an assessment of what I want in a Mirror's Edge sequel, this post has put me off ever buying the game.

I did kinda know it was out despite the limited marketing, but I was waiting until I got some feedback and have seen very little on here.

Indelible

EA really mishandled the release of this game, feels like they sent it out to die with very little advertising. A shame since the first game had so much potential.

CloudWolf

A grappling hook? That just killed any interest I had in the game.

GUN-NAC

As an assessment of what I want in a Mirror's Edge sequel, this post has put me off ever buying the game.

I did kinda know it was out despite the limited marketing, but I was waiting until I got some feedback and have seen very little on here.

Have a look at the OT ME2 thread? Has the other poster who said it's soulless even played it? *shrug*

The parkour is great and the handcrafted missions are really fun to play, but at the same time the open world is horrible and the game has a myriad of problems. It's still a one of a kind game and worth playing if you liked the first Mirror's Edge, but wait for a better deal.

Have a look at the OT ME2 thread? Has the other poster who said it's soulless even played it? *shrug*

Do you really need to cast aspersions on whether that person has played it or not? Do you realize how defensive it sounds? And yes, for the record, he's right. The open world is boring as fuck. And here you go before you wonder out loud whether I've played the game or not.

ST2K

The second paragraph is subjective, so I have no comment.

The third paragraph is a bit of an exaggeration as you unlock all the movement abilities within the first hour. I suppose I can see that bothering some people, but it seems to be a rather minor point to me.

The fourth is flat-out false as someone who has gotten the max ranking in all of the time trials.

george_us

*Shrug* I wound up enjoying more than the original ME when it was all said and done. The open world does have it's problems, namely that it's very difficult to navigate without the guide, but I thought it was a solid direction to go in. Most of my problems are down to execution with some polish issues here and there that come down to fact that a smaller than usual team was on it. I also don't really get the "soulless" complaints. What was soulless about Catalyst in comparison to the original?

Robiin

The second paragraph is subjective, so I have no comment.

The third paragraph is a bit of an exaggeration as you unlock all the movement abilities within the first hour. I suppose I can see that bothering some people, but it seems to be a rather minor point to me.

The fourth is flat-out false as someone who has gotten the max ranking in all of the time trials.
So you get less dependant on the grappling hook later? As I said I have not gotten too far, but the grappling mechanic being introduced as a swinging tool then upgraded to an Arkham-like "drag me to this rooftop" (although at specific points so not as free as in Arkham) just killed the game for me. I tried for an hour to get three stars at one of the early time trials, you had to get up to a rooftop and I always came up a few seconds short. Then I looked it up on YouTube to see if there was a route I was missing and saw the guy hookshot to the roof....

. I also don't really get the "soulless" complaints. What was soulless about Catalyst in comparison to the original?
In the original I felt like I was alone in a playground. I was on the rooftops where people normally aren't. In this game, there are people standing around, sometimes they give me missions that require me to deliver something to somewhere with a time limit for no reason, and sometimes they don't even aknowledge that I'm there. The delivery missions also have people speaking about their lives which is fine - if not for the fact that it repeats if you fail and gets very tedious. Just a general lack of polish and not very player-friendly in my opinion.

Z3M0G

Um... this sound rather horrible...

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I am not really surprised to be honest. I consider myself to be up to date with everything happening in gaming and I spend a lot of time on GAF, yet up until very recently I did not know that this game was already out. I think a lot of this has to do with a lack of a marketing push from EA.

ST2K

So you get less dependant on the grappling hook later? As I said I have not gotten too far, but the grappling mechanic being introduced as a swinging tool then upgraded to an Arkham-like "drag me to this rooftop" (although at specific points so not as free as in Arkham) just killed the game for me. I tried for an hour to get three stars at one of the early time trials, you had to get up to a rooftop and I always came up a few seconds short. Then I looked it up on YouTube to see if there was a route I was missing and saw the guy hookshot to the roof....

Allow me to preface this by saying something: Obviously the grappling hook can only be used in very specific, ordained situations. As such, it's inherently more limited than your other navigational options. However, in the situations where it's more expedient to cross a gap by swinging across it rather than running to the far end of a building to cross a bridge, or zip up a few stories rather than climbing them, it's going to be a smart idea to use it. And the developers want you to use it to attain the fastest speed possible in some dashes. The hook is part of your arsenal as much as the wall run or 180 wall jump is. I don't know why it would bother you to see a grappling spot that you didn't see, while you're assumingly not going to be bothered by missing a panel that could be vaulted off of.

But as far as your question goes, I do not recall a time where I thought there was an obscure hook point to win a trial except in one specific dash. And in that dash, going the manual way was very obviously not going to result in 3 stars, so it sent me exploring for alternatives. But it should be noted everyone's experience on what's obscure and what's not is relatively subjective. What I might have found to be clear could be the opposite to someone else. That's how these games work.

Regardless, the vast majority of the dashes required me to execute and be precise with other moves and didn't require me finding a cheap shortcut with the hook. I found them to be immensely rewarding and they added to my appreciation of the game.

Lakitu

st5fu
Fuck EA for not marketing this. It's an amazing game, a worthy sequel to the first. Guess it's the last we'll see of this series.

Top Bottom