• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomba? Mirror's Edge Catalyst PS4/XB1 $40 ($32 with GCU) at Best Buy, $42 at Amazon

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So weird how this was such a quiet release considering how much attention they gave at E3, EA acted like this was devils third

I'm generally enjoying it but it doesn't feel as good to play as the first one. In the original, Faith felt more connected to the environment physically, while in Catalyst her movements feel mushy and imprecise.

The sound design sounds unfinished and cheap. When Faith climbs a wall it sounds awful. The story and characters I hate, an uninspired rush job. I could have did without the open world. Like another poster said I would have rather had tightly designed levels like the first one.

There are other nitpicks, but the main sin is the movement is worse than the first game after 8 years. EA never wanted to make this game and it shows.

Honestly, since the game went into a direction I really couldn't care about and has a supposedly terrible story when that was an area that got criticized and should've been relatively easy to improve upon...well I don't care.

Like I didn't really care about Dead Space 3 selling well.

hbkdx12

Same. I had no idea.

it was originally suppose to be out along with UC4 and they pushed it back a few weeks into June

I'm not surprised in the price drop. The game was pretty niche to begin with and i played the beta an felt like i had my fill :/

EA is marking this game pretty heavily on Twitter. As a person who doesn't watch live TV I've probably seen more Mirror's Edge Catalyst ads than anything else. I just don't think a lot of people care, especially after those reviews.

Up until about a week ago I thought the game was still in development, needless to say I was pretty surprised to see there was a review thread around that time.

I haven't really seen much promotional material for this game anywhere. Kinda reads to me that the game marketing wise was thrown under the bus. The mixed reviews it got can't helping much either.

As a huge fan of the first game, I think Catalyst is a great followup, but I'm also not surprised it's failing to gather much heat. It's another Mirror's Edge game in every respect, including the complete lack of mass appeal.

It's better in some ways (Faith's new repertoire of free-running moves opens the game up in excellent ways, the Focus Shield that makes you bulletproof when you're playing skilfully is brilliant), worse in others (locking upgrades away behind a bullshit hamster wheel XP system is to the game's direct detriment, the story is somehow actually worse than the first game's). The open world comes with its fair share of Ubisoft collectathon rubbish, but it also brings a whole new element of experimentation to the time trials, where half the fun is finding the best route through the city.

Overall it's not the sequel you'd hope for that makes good on all the unpolished promise of the first. Instead it tries to reinvent the wheel, reboots the universe to tell the same story all over again, and has its own set of problems to boot. I still think it's pretty good, though. Definitely worth $40 if you're a fan of the first game.

ElfArmy177

How to market a videogame that is crazy popular but my not sell well.... announce game and release within 3 months while hype is at its highest.... thank me later.

STOP ANNOUNCING SHIT YEARS EARLY!

Codiox

Fuck EA for not marketing this. It's an amazing game, a worthy sequel to the first. Guess it's the last we'll see of this series.

So much this.

Got this game this Friday and this is really a successor to the first one. It's 100% mirror's Edge. The movement is so much better than in the first one. I literally ran for hours yesterday just through the city doing nothing but running. My GOTY for sure.

If you think that's a bomba don't take a look at Battleborn. Already going away for 10 Euros in Germany.

CkwQpKqWEAE65Hl.jpg

thumb

Banned
So much this.

Got this game this Friday and this is really a successor to the first one. It's 100% mirror's Edge. The movement is so much better than in the first one. I literally ran for hours yesterday just through the city doing nothing but running. My GOTY for sure.

Reinforcing this point. The game is great: If you enjoyed the original, you're very likely to enjoy this game. It has its problems, but overall, it's really, really fun.

Even at this price, even as a big fan of the first game, I can't do it. The beta was not good. The open world, the story telling, the social integration...wharf.

Metal-Geo

I'm generally enjoying it but it doesn't feel as good to play as the first one. In the original, Faith felt more connected to the environment physically, while in Catalyst her movements feel mushy and imprecise.

The sound design sounds unfinished and cheap. When Faith climbs a wall it sounds awful. The story and characters I hate, an uninspired rush job. I could have did without the open world. Like another poster said I would have rather had tightly designed levels like the first one.

There are other nitpicks, but the main sin is the movement is worse than the first game after 8 years. EA never wanted to make this game and it shows.

Weird. Just played both ME and MEC back to back on the PC. ME feels way clunkier in comparison, whereas MEC feels way more streamlined (and perhaps even a bit more forgiving). If there's one thing I think MEC did great it's the movement.

The rest though... Worse art design, empty feeling world, just as bad writing and acting (if not worse), pretty boring and forgettable music, weak filler side-missions.

Definitely not the sequel (or rather, entry in the franchise) Mirror's Edge deserved, in my eyes.

Ennosuke

Weird. Just played both ME and MEC back to back on the PC. ME feels way clunkier in comparison, whereas MEC feels way more streamlined (and perhaps even a bit more forgiving). If there's one thing I think MEC did great it's the movement.

The rest though... Worse art design, empty feeling world, just as bad writing and acting (if not worse), pretty boring and forgettable music, weak filler side-missions.

Definitely not the sequel (or rather, entry in the franchise) Mirror's Edge deserved, in my eyes.

Don't agree about the part with the worse artdesign and music. Both are great, epescially the artdesign is more diverse than the originap game.

I enjoyed the first but they shouldve only made one of these, played the demo and it just didnt feel right, not sure why, fighting is just bad and they force you to fight at certain times.

jett

D-Member
This game doesn't even seem to be getting traction on this forum, so this will probably be the last ME game ever. I'm a long-time ME fan, but beta was so poor that it unsold me on the game. A cavalcade of poor decisions and technical issues. I really have to wonder how much support/resources DICE got for the game. And I hear it ends on a cliffhanger? Good luck with that.

scitek

Fun game, but the latest update fucked it up on PC> I'm waiting for them to patch it again before beating it.

thumb

Banned
This game doesn't even seem to be getting traction on this forum, so this will probably be the last ME game ever. I'm a long-time ME fan, but beta was so poor that it unsold me on the game. A cavalcade of poor decisions and technical issues. I really have to wonder how much support/resources DICE got for the game. And I hear it ends on a cliffhanger? Good luck with that.

It doesn't end on a cliffhanger. It ends with Faith reflecting that there is much more to be done, that's all. Also, there were technical improvements from the beta.

This was so hyped, but suddenly just fell of everyones radar I feel.

Including EA's radar.

How to market a videogame that is crazy popular but my not sell well.... announce game and release within 3 months while hype is at its highest.... thank me later.

STOP ANNOUNCING SHIT YEARS EARLY!

Eh, Nintendo has been known to do this with some games and fans and media alike get annoyed with them for being so secretive and not showing their hand (or lack thereof).

Falchion

Great deal for a great game. I don't regret getting this day 1 at all, did the same with the original as well.

eliochip

This is a great game.

Pretty obvious it's not getting another iteration so I'm glad they made this one open world with the ability to create time trials.

d00d3n

It is a great game. The critics are completely wrong, like they were with the previous game. The two main points of criticism that I see against the game is that the open world is empty/unnecessary/useless and that the combat system is dysfunctional.

I am personally surprised by the flack the combat system is getting. The tutorial explains it really well: mashing the attack button is never a good idea, but slamming enemies into each other, transitioning high energy traversal actions into attacks and using the move to get behind enemies leads to fun combat encounters.

The criticism against the open world is more understandable, but still wrong. This is yet another open world game that dares to have its own identity instead of replicating the successes from the Assassin's Creed series. How scary and awful! I thought that the time trial-esque side activities were fun and well suited for the type of open world game they were trying to make, but this will not apiece critics that grade open world games only on the execution of Ubi towers and cutscenes. (The game has some of the best Ubi towers in the business btw, but they are indoors and actually well designed like proper missions, so it is understandable that critics did not take them into account in their Ubi tower grading schemes)

It's an okay, but soulless version of Mirror's Edge. The missions (so far, I am not too far into it) are good, but the open world does it no favors at all. I completed the first game like 5 times, got all achievements and competed in the Time Trials until the meta became bunny hops and kick-glitches, and I am very dissapointed.

Keep playing - I was a bit underwhelmed initially too but between the main missions and the gridnodes, I am really loving it now. Even some of the open world stuff I'm enjoying.

It's honestly a great game - it's just flawed and different from the first. But really awesome.

EDIT: good god the number of "played the beta, it's not a good game" posts in here. The game really evolves as you progress folks - you can't judge the product off the beta

This game is infinitely better than people will have you believe.

The open world is well designed and running through it at full speed is exhilarating. The actual missions themselves are more of what you loved of the original.

Runners vision is optional and once you've played the game long enough you do not get lost in the open world. There are many routes to take and runner vision rarely shows you the fastest route.

Open world guff like collectibles are easily ignored as they do barely anything. Combat is so so but the free running attacks are great and running from a fight is almost always an option barring from a few moments. No where near as many forced encounters as some critics stated (one of my biggest fears before buying the game).

The unlock tree is dumb and pointless but you unlock everything necessary very fast. The grappling hook is unintrusive and is barely used but can be useful for speed runs.

But that's the joy of the game. Speed and mechanics. It's fluid as hell and requires skill. I was so ready to hate this game after the first hour of play but it's quickly jumped to the top of my GOTY list. The game has some of the best mechanics and while the package is by no means perfect (story is meh, combat isn't great) it's a joy to play a good platformer and there's nothing else like it.

EA mishandled the release and it's a shame we probably won't get another one. I had more fun playing this game than I did U4.

Wozman23

This seems to be a trend with EA games recently. Mirrors Edge, UFC 2 and Plants vs. Zombies 2 have all taken ~$20 cut only a few weeks after launch. I think Battlefront took a pretty quick cut too.

I don't really buy EA games - I thought of grabbing Mirrors Edge because I enjoyed the original - but I'd certainly reconsider buying at launch if your picking up anything other than Battlefield or a sports title. EA either doesn't seem to have proper expectations for their games, or lack a level of confidence.

I played through Mirrors Edge this week, and like others, didn't like the switch to open world. Granted, I usually prefer a linear game to an open world game. Making your way through the world felt repetitive, and many of the side missions were annoying. The runner vision - which is on by default so I kept it on - does a lot of handholding. It did have its bright spots, like new traversal mechanics, the puzzle-like gridnode towers to climb, and that lovely art direction and use of color.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Phenomenal game, and in my running for game of the year. It's a fantastic followup to the original. Everyone should just jump in.

NeoRaider

DerZuhälter;207669479 said:
If you think that's a bomba don't take a look at Battleborn. Already going away for 10 Euros in Germany.

This is kinda sad.

It really sucks that both Catalyst and ROTTR had worst marketing for AAA title in last few years.

Fun game, but the latest update fucked it up on PC> I'm waiting for them to patch it again before beating it.

Why what happened?

Shin-chan

If the game had looked well designed I'd have bought it launch. Instead it's the Ubisoft (tm) open world drudgery with a dull skill tree that does little more than give you the false sensation of progressing and getting better at the traversal. The story also looks worse and the character and worlds aren't designed as well visually (seriously how do you make the world of Mirrors Edge drab? There's supposed to be a lot of colour). Dialogue is standard AAA over explained, over edgy rubbish.

This is the impression I've gotten from pre release media and YouTube impression videos.

The mechanics themselves look really fun but I just know the design of the game is going to bore me and that none of the tasks will have any meaning beyond filling a checklist or a bar or exp meter. I'll likely pick it up on a sale, but I can see why the game doesn't appeal to even people on this forum. There's too much unappealing baggage for me to care at the moment.

vareon

I felt bad for being so hyped when this was announced but not buying it at launch. The problem is I didn't even know it launched!

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Game is great. Feels amazing to play, but it's on EA for not marketing it better -- Mirror's Edge was never a big mainstream franchise in the first place.

Kolgar

If you liked the original Mirror's Edge, pick it up. For me, the game hits the right notes with a beautiful city, gorgeous cutscenes and the same engaging mechanics as before.

To me it seems as if the open world simply provides an opportunity to relax and enjoy the seach for collectibles; the speed runs are still there if that's your thing.

Top Bottom