• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackadde

Innotech said:
Youre obviously missing the whole point. Those things were revolutionary changes. This isnt. Its higher resolution. Its not a paradigm shift. So it isnt worth the extra money. If SD costs were dropped to next to nothing and HD was priced where SD is NOW, then I could see a case made for it. but people treat this like its so OMFG REVOLUTIONARY. If it was, I would say it was. But it isnt.

i disagree. i only have a single power speaker hooked up to my computer pumping downmixed mono sound and i don't even hear the difference between that and stereo audio. who in their right mind would pay twice as much for it. or 5.1 times as much for 5.1! oh my god.

Mifune

Mehmber
It should be noted that there is a big difference between broadcast HD and the kind of HD you find on a BD or HD-DVD disc.

antiloop

Linkzg said:
yeah, that is maybe the best point in this entire thread.

Nintendo was smart to not put a DVD player in the Wii or else Wii games wouldent sell.

Yes, but a Wii in every DVD player. Now that would have been awesome.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Wollan said:
Kotaku lol

That's right, PlayStation 3 backers, the upcoming hi-definition release of Catwoman is all yours. Print out your commemorative press release, which you'll find after the jump.

I knew it was McWhertor after reading the first sentence. That dude never has anything positive to say about Sony. It's always insults and jabs and fanboy call outs.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mifune said:
It should be noted that there is a big difference between broadcast HD and the kind of HD you find on a BD or HD-DVD disc.

no kiddin. I recall my first HD experience at a store with a guy showing me a broadcasted HD tennis match and I was like "that's it?".

Linkzg said:
yeah, that is maybe the best point in this entire thread.

Nintendo was smart to not put a DVD player in the Wii or else Wii games wouldent sell.
And that´s why Wii games sell like hot-cakes.

Wait, what did I just say.

LJ11

Mifune said:

A good OTA broadcast is pretty close.

Anyone whose watched LOST in HD vs SD, and doesn't see the difference is either blind, delusional, or not watching an HD feed.

reilo said:
I knew it was McWhertor after reading the first sentence. That dude never has anything positive to say about Sony. It's always insults and jabs and fanboy call outs.

Well then don't quote the clownfucking sons of bitches!

Raistlin

ZeroTolerance said:
WinInThisSector.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Innotech

Banned
blackadde said:
i disagree. i only have a single power speaker hooked up to my computer pumping downmixed mono sound and i don't even hear the difference between that and stereo audio. who in their right mind would pay twice as much for it. or 5.1 times as much for 5.1! oh my god.
mono to stereo was revolutionary in that it allowed for surround sound effects and other shit. It was a new paradigm. as was color added to formerly black white TV. These were legitimate improvements. what we have here is a slight visual/audio improvement that otherwise doesnt change anything. It doesnt have new features, improved ergonomics or anything that will make it more consumer friendly. Its just a higher capacity disc.

tak

I'm really looking forward to the next GTA game. It looks fun. I hope they improve on the graphics a little before it is released.

reilo

AltogetherAndrews said:
Well then don't quote the clownfucking sons of bitches!

I suffered by visiting that site and reading their rubble so others don't have to. I'm kinda like Jesus in a sense.

justjohn

Shamrock said:
It's amazing that all the studio's are sticking by Blue-Ray while the PS3 is selling like shit and HD-DVD players are below 199. I can not understand it. More people buy standalone players than gaming systems over time. Blue-Ray players are still 400+ dollars.

It's like people are celebrating the fact that they just won the right to pay double for a Blue-Ray player. Well I guess PS3 owners are the only ones celebrating. People like me who don't own a next gen format yet are not.

Whats even more amazing is I guess these studio exec think PS3 owners will buy Blue-Ray disc when sony can't even get them to buy AAA games like R&C.
we've got a live one folks :lol

pestul

Well an Elite 360 HD-DVD sku would certainly be a shitty idea. 2008 could very well be the year of the PS3 resurgence now.

SSM25

OMG at Kotaku...they don't hide the Hate :lol

This is the best news I've heard in a long time...now I don't have to worry about my Big BD collection becoming obsolete.

RavenFox

Banned
_leech_ said:
If that ends up happening now it'll be the biggest laugh of the year.
I think CNBC kinda confirmed it.

Also Fresh from Digital Bits

You can bet that Universal, Paramount and DreamWorks aren't going to want to be left holding the bag. Now that the industry momentum towards Blu-ray is clear, sales of Blu-ray hardware and software are surely going to increase, and none of these studios are going to want to be left out. Their shareholders simply won't allow it. Paramount and DreamWorks almost certainly have have out-clauses in their deals with the HD-DVD camp. Steven Spielberg has repeatedly made his desire to move DreamWorks back to Universal clear, and he's also a committed Blu-ray Disc backer - Universal going Blu is almost certainly going to be a sticking point in the negotiations, especially when you consider that Spielberg has TWICE now required the HD-DVD camp to retract statements claiming that his Universal films were coming soon to that format. And our sources are now telling us that Universal - knowing Warner was about to go Blu-exclusive - has already begin taking steps to prepare for their own future Blu-ray efforts. Our guess is that Universal in particular will go format neutral, to put the best P.R. spin on their situation. But we'd be VERY surprised if all three studios don't announce their own Blu-ray Disc support by mid-2008 at the latest, so as benefit from 4th quarter holiday sales. In fact, we're betting those announcements happen much sooner.
http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Asta La Vista Baby

justjohn

SSM25 said:
OMG at Kotaku...they don't hide the Hate :lol

This is the best news I've heard in a long time...now I don't have to worry about my Big BD collection becoming obsolete.
to be fair to kotaku when paramount went hddvd they werent very pleased about it either

NekoFever

TTP said:
no kiddin. I recall my first HD experience at a store with a guy showing me a broadcasted HD tennis match and I was like "that's it?".
I had a similar experience with my first HD broadcast (it was during the World Cup in 2006), but I've found that the impact really does depend on the TV, particularly the size. First time I saw an HD movie was Last Samurai HD DVD on a 55" top-of-the-range Pioneer plasma and it blew me away. Saw the exact same thing on a £600 26" HDTV and it really didn't look like a huge step above the upscaled DVD (not to say bad, just unspectacular). I think that's part of the problem at the moment as 90% of people I know have 32" TVs, no matter what the size of the room.

ZeroTolerance

Man I get the feeling, that Microsoft will need to go back to rethink their announcements for sunday because this here announcement is fucking enormous yo.

Busty

Banned
The facts in a discussion like this are fairly straight forward now.

LOTR (and subsequently The Hobbit) will now be a Blu Ray exclusive.

The Harry Potter series will now be a Blu Ray exclusive.

The Dark Knight will be a Blu Ray exclusive when it launches Xmas 08.

In the competing corner for (presumably) an Xmas 08 reelease is Indy4, Kung Fu Panda, Hulk and Iron Man exclusive to HD-DVD.

So we have an HD format that will have Harry Potter and the Disney back catalogue exclusive on it when Xmas 08 rolls around.

Transformers and a price cut didn't bump HD-DVD the way people thought it would. I don't see Indy4 doing any different.

Everything else in this thread is background noise.

SSM25

I think M$ IS right now obligated to give consumers a choice; an HD-DVD add on or a BLU-RAY addon.

and please make the x720 blu-ray enabled

RavenFox

Banned
Busty said:

In the competing corner for (presumably) an Xmas 08 reelease is Indy4, Kung Fu Panda, Hulk and Iron Man exclusive to HD-DVD.

So we have an HD format that will have Harry Potter and the Disney back catalogue exclusive on it when Xmas 08 rolls around.

Transformers and a price cut didn't bump HD-DVD the way people thought it would. I don't see Indy4 doing any different.

Uhmm noo. Paramount and Universal will break this year. Like I quoted from digital bits their shareholders will not allow it after this announcement.

reilo

Busty said:

Wouldn't call Indy 4 [Spielberg movie] a certainty that it will be exclusive to HD-DVD.

Raistlin

Alex said:
Don't care, can barely tell the difference between a good DVD and a Blu Ray on an HD set myself. Certainly not enough so to repurchase discs or drop an extra 10 bucks on new releases.

WHAT!?!? :lol :lol

RavenFox

Banned
reilo said:
Wouldn't call Indy 4 [Spielberg movie] a certainty that it will be exclusive to HD-DVD.
Someone needs to remind him
Steven Spielberg has repeatedly made his desire to move DreamWorks back to Universal clear, and he's also a committed Blu-ray Disc backer - Universal going Blu is almost certainly going to be a sticking point in the negotiations, especially when you consider that Spielberg has TWICE now required the HD-DVD camp to retract statements claiming that his Universal films were coming soon to that format.

itsgreen

Good for the market imo. I think they should just kill off HDDVD. Allthough I find it featurewise, for consumers, the better product. I think one format is enough. HDDVD died when the PS3 launched. The next of kin just haven't been informed yet.

Just think about it, every single month atleast 150k PS3 Bluray players are sold.

There is no way HDDVD could have won this race. They had a fighting chance if MS integrated a player in the 360 from the start or atleast made the elite HDDVD compatible.

Too bad for the consumer, but heck, a single format isn't bad either. Now just release the bluray addon for the 360.

Doesn't change much for my situation, I'm not going to invest in a collection of 30 dollar movies, when HD downloads are just around the corner.

p.s. from a gaming pov. it is not going to change much for the PS3. People already buy it as a Bluray player. People don't know jackshit about who is supporting what format. I wouldnt be surprised if people buy a PS3 with some HDDVD's.

NekoFever

Busty said:

Indy 4 won't come out on HD DVD. It's a Spielberg movie and those weren't included in the Paramount deal. I think that leaves it in an HD no man's land unless Paramount drop their deal.

Busty

Banned
reilo said:

RavenFox said:
Uhmm noo. Paramount and Universal will break this year. Like I quoted from digital bits their shareholders will not allow it after this announcement.

RLY? I was under the impression that Paramount's HD-DVD deal was structured in such a way as to encompass two Xmas seasons?

DenogginizerOS said:
Spielberg movies are NOT exclusive to HD-DVD. Never were.

Ahhh. Wait, that sounds familiar. Did Spielberg 'opt out' of the HD-DVD exclusivity deal?

DenogginizerOS said:
Spielberg movies are NOT exclusive to HD-DVD. Never were.
to add to this OT discussion, transformers was produced by spielberg, released on hddvd exlusively......indy 4 is safe to say hddvd exclusive for the time being... :/

Raistlin

Shin Johnpv said:
Seriously. I don't like the idea of Sony controlling a format, they're DRM assholes.

Actually, Sony wasn't the proponent of DRM and region locking in the BDA (from a corporate level, they don't care about it anymore ... its really just BMG that continues the major awesomeness) ... you can thank Fox and Disney for that.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
topsyturvy said:
why is people still praising this as if this will help the ps3???????

This delusion....its....blinding you.
So you would say this will not help the PS3, at all? Perhaps even hurt it? Because if it's "delusional" to think this will help the PS3 in any way, then you seem to be leaning in the opposite direction. Tell us more.

reilo

topsyturvy said:
to add to this OT discussion, transformers was produced by spielberg, released on hddvd exlusively......indy 4 is safe to say hddvd exclusive for the time being... :/

Produced != Directed/Written

Mojovonio

Banned
SSM25 said:
I think M$ IS right now obligated to give consumers a choice; an HD-DVD add on or a BLU-RAY addon.

and please make the x720 blu-ray enabled

They already said they would make one if the consumer's wanted it.

Just because MS made the codec for HD-DVD (I think) it doesn't mean they'll negate blu-ray.

Hell, Sony didn't make their own OS for their Vaio's.

SSM25

topsyturvy said:

I don't think any movie is safe as an HD-DVD exclusive right now ;)

topsyturvy said:
why is people still praising this as if this will help the ps3???????

This delusion....its....blinding you.

Honestly, reactions from people like yourself would seem like the strongest indication that it might at least theoretically work in favor of the PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom