• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjohn

Shamrock said:
I really don't see the big deal to HD-DVD owners. Contine to Buy HD-DVD supported movies and then torrent the rest of the shit made for Blue-Ray.:lol
that smley makes all the difference

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Innotech said:
It does to me. I watched a football game in SD and in the same house another one in HDTV. I could follow both games the same. It wasnt such a gigantic difference that I was like "OMG I need HD!". It was morel ike "its nice, but I dont see why this costs a premium"

Keep in mind we have a 1080i HDTV at my apartment. I still dont see the need to upgrade.
And I still watch SDTV broadcasts entirely. You guys can flame me all you want but Im not the only one thinking this way. People arent going to just adjust to hD if it isnt as cheap as DVD/SD.

You are a fucking idiot.

Chiggs

Gold Member
xtyen said:
This is without a doubt one of the dumbest comments I have read in a while.

Poorer quality makes movies better!

The one about comedies and dramas not needing it was pretty rich, too. HD improves most anything. I'd also wager that is shows you who the real craftsmen in Hollywood are.

Kyoufu

xtyen said:
This is without a doubt one of the dumbest comments I have read in a while.

Poorer quality makes movies better!

I'm not surprised! Its Innotech, ever since his first post he has had an agenda against Sony. I suspect he doesn't know what HD is, being a Nintendo fanboy and all.

abacab driver said:
I'm perfectly content with watching my extremely robust DVD collection on my HDTV (and my snazzy speaker setup)..and gaming in HD. I'll care about HD movies when there are enough movies filmed in HD worth buying.

NekoFever said:
Films don't have to be explicitly shot in HD to have an HD transfer made, because the potential resolution of 35mm film is far higher than even 1080p. They just scan the film at a higher resolution.

Look - a film from 1938 with 4.5-star video.

Exactly. As far as "movies "filmed in HD" go, that would be pretty much every major motion picture since 1909, when Thomas Edison and his trust, the Motion Picture Patents Company, pushed the 35mm format as the de facto standard of the industry.

Pretty much every 35mm motion picture film and larger, including the widescreen variants of 35mm, are technically "high-def-ready" formats, though the oldest films have a larger grain structure and were shot with worse lenses than the films that came later. By the post-WWII era, and due in large part to all the technical advancements in film and optic technology made as a direct result of the war effort) even color film had reached a grain structure which will look demonstrably better when scanned in HD resolutions. Even some smaller formats like more modern 16mm (which some art-house and indy film makers have used for cost reasons) have a tight enough film grain to scan well beyond standard definition.

KTallguy

Banned
Core407 said:
It's a valid argument. Why do you think people still collect records?

Partly nostolgia, really, but there is a difference in sound quality, people say LPs have a warmer sound.

But it's apples and oranges really, the fact that an HD movie's quality is approaching the original film that you see in your theater's quality is an extremely awesome thing.

Zophar

Core407 said:
It's a valid argument. Why do you think people still collect records?
Because unlike VHS they actually contain a higher fidelity than their digital successors? There is no compression or remastering that alters or weakens the audio- it's a 100% pure analog recording.

jax (old)

Banned
Shamrock said:
I really don't see the big deal to HD-DVD owners. Contine to Buy HD-DVD supported movies and then torrent the rest of the shit made for Blue-Ray.:lol

I don't see how advocating piracy because a studio went exclusive helps your credibility. Lets see you advocate torrenting/pirating console games you retard.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Wow. This is truly huge. Blu-ray is nearly unstoppable

To keep this on the gaming side, was the 360 HDDVD add-on even a success? I'm not familiar with its sales numbers.

Innotech said:
It does to me. I watched a football game in SD and in the same house another one in HDTV. I could follow both games the same. It wasnt such a gigantic difference that I was like "OMG I need HD!". It was morel ike "its nice, but I dont see why this costs a premium"

Broadcast HD quality depends a lot on the provider and how much bandwidth they use. My cable provider - Rogers - compresses their shit to insane levels. In fact, i'm watching a basketball game right now and it's just a wave of macroblocking every time the camera moves. Some channels get much better treatment (NBC and Fox look fantastic), but it all depends on the provider.

Innotech

Banned
_leech_ said:
Broadcast HD quality depends a lot on the provider and how much bandwidth they use. My cable provider - Rogers - compresses their shit to insane levels. In fact, i'm watching a basketball game right now and it's just a wave of macroblocking every time the camera moves. Some channels get much better treatment (NBC and Fox look fantastic), but it all depends on the provider.
It was a game on Fox.
My uncle has a really big hdtv in his living room with HD programming and a sdtv in the kitchen. So I was able to compare them.

Zophar

Innotech said:
It was a game on Fox.
My uncle has a really big hdtv in his living room with HD programming and a sdtv in the kitchen. So I was able to compare them.
he probably had the box hooked up to composite

reilo

Innotech said:
If you care so much, mail me a free HD player.

Actually, I'd rather set up a PayPal donation fund for you, because it's quite obvious you need some Lasik eye surgery.

I kinda feel sorry that you have such bad eye sight.

Innotech

Banned
Zophar said:
he probably had the box hooked up to composite
no. It was definitely HD. It looked sharper. you could tell there was a difference, but to me the didfference is just not enough to justify higher costs. Im not talking about like 50$ difference. To upgrade to HDTV from SD costs hundreds. Its just not worth it until prices drop dramatically. This is the first time a new TV is required alongside a new player. Its just cost prohibitive.

Kyoufu

reilo said:
Actually, I'd rather set up a PayPal donation fund for you, because it's quite obvious you need some Lasik eye surgery.

I kinda feel sorry that you have such bad eye sight.

Its not his eye sight, its those Nintendo branded goggles that deter his judgment.

Innotech

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Its not his eye sight, its those Nintendo branded goggles that deter his judgment.
yes. Im sure thats exactly what it is. Videogames made me this way.
Ps2 was never ever in SD. Neither was xbox. Only Nintendo has ever been in SD.

Dante

Shamrock said:

Yeah piracy's pretty funny dude.

ZeroTolerance said:
WinInThisSector.jpg

right fucking click. save

Holtz

Shamrock said:
Advocating piracy on Neogaf? Bye.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Let me recap this thread

1- Warner goes Blu-Ray only
2- OMG Blu-Ray wins!
3- Who cares. DD ftw
4- HD and SD look the same anyway
5- and stuff

Kyoufu

Innotech said:
yes. Im sure thats exactly what it is. Videogames made me this way.
Ps2 was never ever in SD. Neither was xbox. Only Nintendo has ever been in SD.

Eteric Rice has a PS2 but that doesn't make his agenda any less transparent. If only I had your first few posts in front of me.

Innotech said:
there is no idiocy involved. Only preference.

Innotech said:
it still looks the same roughly, and really doesnt offer much benefit to anyone except a videophile.

This is the issue, it doesn't look the same roughly and that statement is not a statement of preference.

reilo

Souldriver said:
So you're calling someone an idiot because he doesn't want to upgrade to HD? What a gentleman you are.

For saying that there is no discernible difference between a SD feed of a sports game to its HD counter-part feed? YES.

WAIT.

He was watching the game on FOX?

Holy god. Fox has the absolute worst HD feed I have ever seen. It truly is bad. If that was his only sample size, I'd actually be inclined to agree.

During NFL playoff weekend Innotech, tell your uncle to switch to one of the CBS or NBC games in HD. Or go to his house on Thursdays and watch a basketball game on TNTHD.

If you still say there is no discernible difference, then, well, get some glasses.

blackadde

Innotech said:
no. It was definitely HD. It looked sharper. you could tell there was a difference, but to me the didfference is just not enough to justify higher costs. Im not talking about like 50$ difference. To upgrade to HDTV from SD costs hundreds. Its just not worth it until prices drop dramatically. This is the first time a new TV is required alongside a new player. Its just cost prohibitive.

just like color television! and stereo audio!

Well, 2008 started with the bang. Good for Sony. This could have come with hefty price-tag but if BD is the only format in future, Sony will swim in the money.

Mrbob

TTP said:
Let me recap this thread

1- Warner goes Blu-Ray only
2- OMG Blu-Ray wins!
3- Who cares. DD ftw
4- HD and SD look the same anyway
5- and stuff

6- PS3 owners will buy less games now

There, looks good.

RavenFox

Banned
Hmm a poster over avsforum jsut said CNBC is talking about a Microsoft embedded player. Sounds like ol Bill did put an HD-DVD drive in the 360. He must be fucking furious lol.

Innotech

Banned
blackadde said:
just like color television! and stereo audio!
Youre obviously missing the whole point. Those things were revolutionary changes. This isnt. Its higher resolution. Its not a paradigm shift. So it isnt worth the extra money. If SD costs were dropped to next to nothing and HD was priced where SD is NOW, then I could see a case made for it. but people treat this like its so OMFG REVOLUTIONARY. If it was, I would say it was. But it isnt.

Innotech said:
It does to me. I watched a football game in SD and in the same house another one in HDTV. I could follow both games the same. It wasnt such a gigantic difference that I was like "OMG I need HD!". It was morel ike "its nice, but I dont see why this costs a premium".
Well, one of the reasons for that is that they are not taking advantage of the HDTV properly very much since they know they are also broadcasting to SDTV viewers. So they frame things for the SDTV viewers, thus wasting much of the potential advantage of HDTV.

Mrbob said:
6- PS3 owners will buy less games now

There, looks good.

yeah, that is maybe the best point in this entire thread.

Nintendo was smart to not put a DVD player in the Wii or else Wii games wouldent sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom