• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
JCBossman said:
The one thing I am not so certain about is the hard coating on BD's, sure it seems to work well now, but "Simulated wear" isn't actual wear and it is possible the coating fails after a while. I am just making this up, but I always get worried when there is a serious problem(Blu-Rays REQUIRING a hard coating) and a "quick" fix to the caddies, Magically Appears in the nick of time.Wouldn't this "Hard Coating" benefit ALL Optical discs? Wasen't scratching a problem on ALL media since CD'S? So for Decades Manufacturer's tried to make better coatings but couldn't, SUDDENLY a fix is found to SAVE Blu?
Someone throw this man a lifebelt, he's drowning!

NolbertoS

So now that Blu-ray has won, I'm surprised I haven't seen any MGS4 to PS3 via Blu-ray add-on now, I was going to speculate and say that with the rumoured Xbox360 Ultimate, MS was trying to woo Konami and Kojima by downgrading there fear with storage format by saying that the HD-DVD could store the game in 1 disc rather than multiple DVD's but after this announcement who knows, Sony may have just calmed the fears of Konami and Square-Enix by assuring them that this event will trigger more PS3 sales, which in turn will trigger more people to buy there exclusives games and it's win-win for both of them.

Edit: Maybe Shane's rumours of MS developing the next-gen console aren't as far-fetched, cuz now Sony has just gained an advantage with their PS3, by advertising more of the Blu-ray like crazy and MS will have to somehow gain an advantage over a Sony who's momentum wave has taken a huge boost with the Warner Bros. announcement.

lynux3

JCBossman said:
The one thing I am not so certain about is the hard coating on BD's, sure it seems to work well now, but "Simulated wear" isn't actual wear and it is possible the coating fails after a while. I am just making this up, but I always get worried when there is a serious problem(Blu-Rays REQUIRING a hard coating) and a "quick" fix to the caddies, Magically Appears in the nick of time.Wouldn't this "Hard Coating" benefit ALL Optical discs? Wasen't scratching a problem on ALL media since CD'S? So for Decades Manufacturer's tried to make better coatings but couldn't, SUDDENLY a fix is found to SAVE Blu?
:lol

Chiggs

Gold Member
itsgreen said:
He asked inferior in what way, I presented it. And again overall storage capacity isn't really a problem here, neither is bitrate. Just point at a single movie that is crap on HDDVD and isnt on Bluray because of a higher bitrate. (The comeback for this is: What HDDVD movies, there aren't that many!)

Okay, well, you've pretty much backpeddled on what I asked you, throwing me the typical "show me one title!" argument that I'm all too sick of seeing/hearing.

But know this: In the future, you will see discs that wouldn't be possible on HD-DVD. Heck, the Kingdom of Heaven BD already is.

NolbertoS said:
I was going to speculate and say that with the rumoured Xbox360 Ultimate, MS was trying to woo Konami and Kojima by downgrading there fear with storage format by saying that the HD-DVD could store the game in 1 disc rather than multiple DVD's but after this announcement who knows.

vilmer_

For the hardcore anti-Sony zealots, you can get a Samsung 1400 standalone for around $300. The reviews I've read aren't very good though. I'm starting to feel the pain some of you must be in :(

itsgreen

Chiggs said:
Okay, well, you've pretty much backpeddled on what I asked you, throwing me the typical "show me one title!" argument that I'm all too sick of seeing/hearing.

But know this: In the future, you will see discs that wouldn't be possible on HD-DVD. Heck, the Kingdom of Heaven BD already is.

Did I? Because I thought you didn't understand my comment, and still my comment stands. Just point the title, the simple fact you can't, says enough about the value of those 'better specs'.

Sure for those 12 hours movie benching sessions BD is great. But I have to pee sometimes, why not change a disc halfway ;)

Anyhow BD has won, just like I predicted over 2 years ago.

Chiggs

Gold Member
itsgreen said:
Sure for those 12 hours movie benching sessions BD is great. But I have to pee sometimes, why not change a disc halfway ;)

Again, completely ignoring the 48mbps vs 36mbps issue. Gosh, I certainly can't think of anything that could make use of that additional bandwidth!

But you're right, it's over...and this squabble does seem rather outdated. :D

itsgreen said:
Did I? Because I thought you didn't understand my comment, and still my comment stands. Just point the title, the simple fact you can't, says enough about the value of those 'better specs'.

Did you not read my post? The part where I clearly said the 50GB Kingdom of Heaven disc is just not possible on HD-DVD?

JCBossman said:

Is this more FUD on your part, or are you honestly this misinformed? Either way...:lol :lol :lol

The original hard coating for discs, was introduced for CD-ROM. It existed long before a need for caseless Blu-ray.

The original patent for a spin-coated antistatic hard coating for optical discs, the type of coating all Blu-ray coatings is based on, was submitted in 1999.

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5910517-description.html

The tech isn't new, and the process of spin-coating is way, way older than that.

Truespeed

JCBossman said:

That's the great thing about the hard coating on BD discs. You can buff them with your ass into Like New condition for repair or resale. BTW, HD DVD's are susceptible to all of the same problems as DVD's are so I would be more concerned with that. Oh wait, it doesn't matter anymore.

TheWolf

Banned
Arkham said:
I see you being wrong and kinda trolly.

lol, ok. i'm sure PS3s are going to fly off shelves now that a movie studio has announced exclusivity for B-R format.

let's ignore the fact that neither format is selling well to being with, and that the majority of people buy HDTVs have no concept of resolution or what either format brings to the table.

Truespeed

JCBossman said:
"Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not." -JCBossman

Plagiarized as usual. The real quote belongs to Gangsta Rapper and star of his own WB show George Bernard Shaw.

itsgreen

Chiggs said:
Did you not read my post? The part where I clearly said the 50GB Kingdom of Heaven disc is just not possible on HD-DVD?

Just point at a single movie that is crap on HDDVD and isnt on Bluray because of a higher bitrate.

Thats capacity, not bitrate. Anyhow. Lame discussion. For movies Bluray doesnt have any extra value imo. Your movie does not look significantly better on Bluray than on HDDVD. I don't see the extra value of those 3 extra hours of content on a single disc. Sorry can't. I'll buy you an icecream (if that shuts you up ;)) when you can sit out 9 hours straight of movie watching.

Chiggs

Gold Member
itsgreen said:
Thats capacity, not bitrate. Anyhow. Lame discussion. For movies Bluray doesnt have any extra value imo. Your movie does not look significantly better on Bluray than on HDDVD. I don't see the extra value of those 3 extra hours of content on a single disc. Sorry can't. I'll buy you an icecream (if that shuts you up ;)) when you can sit out 9 hours straight of movie watching.

Ice cream will indeed shut me up, but I still think you're being a wee bit disingenous here. I do agree that the movies don't look any different, though.

And I used Kingdom of Heaven because of its length, lossless audio, and 24mbps MPEG2 encode.

itsgreen said:
It's both. The higher the bit rate the more capacity is required for a full lenght movie. Kingdom Of Heaven in this encode is not possible to recreate on HD-DVD, there goes your argument.

The party for HD DVD is over, literally

War is hell, particularly when you want to schedule cocktail parties.

The HD DVD Promotional Group had scheduled a cocktail party and a press conference this Sunday evening in Las Vegas to tout the "progress" it has made in high definition video and the ongoing format war with the Blu-ray consortium.

On Friday, however, the group sent out a note terminating the event because Warner Home Video earlier in the day said it would switch exclusively to the Blu-Ray format.

"Based on the timing of the Warner Home Video announcement today, we have decided to postpone our CES 2008 press conference. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause," the cancellation read. "We are currently discussing the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluating next steps. We believe the consumer continues to benefit from HD DVD's commitment to quality and affordability - a bar that is critical for the mainstream success of any format."

The original invite was a lot more upbeat:

"Please join us as we present exciting news and a sneak peak at what's to come for 2008," it read "featuring executives from the HD DVD Promotional Group: Intel, Microsoft, Paramount Home Entertainment, Toshiba, Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Warner Home Video."

itsgreen

Chiggs said:
Ice cream will indeed shut me up, but I still think you're being a wee bit disingenous here. I do agree that the movies don't look any different, though.

And I used Kingdom of Heaven because of its length, lossless audio, and 24mbps MPEG2 encode.

Well, it is that I really don't care about HDDVD or Bluray movie wise. But I do see my arguments as valid points. Sure the extra capacity is nice, but it is just a marginal advantage for movies. Heck we are dealing with multiple dvd's for years, I haven't complained about it. Ever. Games I do though.

scitek

The only thing I like better about Blu-ray is the multiple lossless tracks on some discs. Just having the option of either TrueHD or PCM is awesome, IMO. I really like HD DVD, -- the Bourne Ultimatum disc is out-fucking-standing, and a prime example of just how good the format can be -- but Blu-ray has really come into its own recently. I just wish people would cut the bullshit and stop acting like they're personally involved in this whole ordeal.

EDIT: And what the fuck is going to happen to player and movie prices? Are they going to go back to where they would have been at this point without competition?

Kittonwy

Banned
MirageDwarf said:

Pwn3d-wow3d.
Indifferent2.gif

Truespeed

Remy said:
You don't see the extra value of extra content?

:psyduck:

Considering we've had to put up with extra SD content the majority of the time due to studio's conforming to the LCD for storage related reasons it will finally be nice to view extra content in HD the way it was intended.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking Warner just cost me $299. Thanks.

Just ordered a PS3 :)

RBH

Good.

Now this stupid format war may end quicker.

And LOL @ the people that were so confident that Warner was going HD-DVD exclusive.

USC-fan

Banned
I just check out the thread at avsforum and most of them are saying this will end the war!

Might start buying some bluray movies now....

Truespeed

Mojovonio said:
January NPD is going to be EPIC.

I'm thinking a 30% increase in overall sales.

You guys have me convinced.

It's still to early. The general public doesn't have a clue about the significance of the Warner announcement. It's not like Toshiba and HD DVD just picked up their toys and left. There's some fight left in them, but they know the end is near. Their best move is to just join the BDA and starting making BD players.

Mojovonio said:

There's no way this'll have such a large instant effect on PS3 sales. It certainly benefits in the long run, as BD is yet another step closer to securing victory over HD-DVD, but I honestly don't think that many people (30% is a lot, especially over November NPD) will be like "oh hay Warner is BD-exclusives now, imma go buy me a PStripple!"

If anything, we probably won't see the benefit of today's announcement on PS3 sales until Toshiba and the HD-DVD partners give up (later this year).

Kittonwy

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
There's no way this'll have such a large instant effect on PS3 sales. It certainly benefits in the long run, as BD is yet another step closer to securing victory over HD-DVD, but I honestly don't think that many people (30% is a lot, especially over November NPD) will be like "oh hay Warner is BD-exclusives now, imma go buy me a PStripple!"

If anything, we probably won't see the benefit of today's announcement on PS3 sales until Toshiba and the HD-DVD partners give up (later this year).

Hey as long as HD-DVD dies and dies soon, it's all good.
Indifferent2.gif

Truespeed said:
It's still to early. The general public doesn't have a clue about the significance of the Warner announcement. It's not like Toshiba and HD DVD just picked up their toys and left. There's some fight left in them, but they know the end is near. Their best move is to just join the BDA and starting making BD players.

He's being facetious.

Raistlin

Mojovonio said:

People's sarcasm detectors are broken based on the responses to this post.

That said Mojo, to pretend this will have no long-term effects on PS3 sales is similarly :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom