• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

Mojovonio said:
This man speaketh the truth.

Obtain it!

Here's what will happen.

I'll say that people had more reasons to go from VHS to DVD than they ever will DVD to Blu-ray.

You're rebuttal will claim something about my grandmother caring about seeing the pores on Patrick Swazye's Biceps in Dirty Dancing.

I try,I did see Dawn Of Dead, also the horrible movie when they use guns and got smarter

Mojovonio said:
He has a point.

How are they going to convince non-ps3 owning consumers to adopt it?

Oh... sorry...

All the more reason to end it quickly then let this mess be prolonged even further. Many things have points, but ending a HD format war is the main point.

Glad I never got either format....this war seems to have driven a lot of people insane.

I honestly could care less about either, I'm a little pissed that my DVD collection is obsolete now, to be honest.

DAYUMMMM! This is HUGE news! Massive damage am i rite? :lol

Mojovonio said:
Only Day of the Dead, the 2nd greatest zombie movie ever made.
This post if full of WIN :D

Personally though, Night of the Living Dead is my favorite Zombie movie of all time even though I watched it years after "Dawn" and "Day"

Mojovonio

Banned
Mister Chef said:
DAYUMMMM! This is HUGE news! Massive damage am i rite? :lol

This post if full of WIN :D

Personally though, Night of the Living Dead is my favorite Zombie movie of all time even though I watched it years after "Dawn" and "Day"

You know, at first, I would say that Night is my 2nd, and it was for a while. Mostly because it was one of the first movies to have a black protagonist.

But for some reason, Day really grew on me.

Loudninja said:
Yeah horrible, that made the movie so stupid and boring.Next they will be driving cars, and eating at the dinner table .

I know, but at least Romero had the balls to try and movie the genre forward.

shagg_187 said:
Also, last time i checked, Sony handed Cell production to Toshiba.

They sold their fabs to them. That's all.

The actual Cell IP is a joint venture between Sony, Toshiba, and IBM, called STI. Sony still owns their stake in the STI-owned IP for the Cell chip, and Sony can purchase Cell chips from anyone they choose.

I don't know the ins and outs of the Cell partnership, but Sony might even be able to even buy Cell chips from a semiconductor firm outside that existing Toshiba and IBM group as well. Of course, in such a situation, any new Cell fab that would potentially come on line would have to pay the royalty for those chips to the STI group, and of course that group would split up those royalties. Again, I don't know for sure if this is an option, but it's interesting to speculate.

Norml

saw this at AVS.:lol

6ydrmly.gif

Mojovonio

Banned
vilmer_ said:
And Savini's major influence.

This is true too.

Savini is a master of his art.

I tried to watch Friday the 13th: The New Blood.

I couldn't stand it. Especially after just seeing Maniac.

Dear god the fanbois on here are having a field day, even though i bet most of them dont give two shits about hd movies they just sony bots. Imho this is bad for the hd market being a person who has had both since release hddvd has offered me more than bluray which is just this month catching up with 1.1. Ahh well one format is best no? it helps with the confused customers we might aswell have one gaming format too then right to help the customer. lol.

USC-fan

Banned
supermackem said:
Dear god the fanbois on here are having a field day, even though i bet most of them dont give two shits about hd movies they just sony bots. Imho this is bad for the hd market being a person who has had both since release hddvd has offered me more than bluray which is just this month catching up with 1.1. Ahh well one format is best no? it helps with the confused customers we might aswell have one gaming format too then right to help the customer. lol.
Yes one format is better. DVD say helloooo!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
supermackem said:

Wow.

Chorazin

Mojovonio said:
You know, at first, I would say that Night is my 2nd, and it was for a while. Mostly because it was one of the first movies to have a black protagonist.

But for some reason, Day really grew on me.

I know, but at least Romero had the balls to try and movie the genre forward.

I was really impressed by Day as well. It's my second favorite zombie flick after the original Dawn.

Mojovonio

Banned
Chorazin said:
I was really impressed by Day as well. It's my second favorite zombie flick after the original Dawn.

But its the most hated (pre Land) of the Dead series and I just don't fucking get that.

Sure, it was a little more B movie than the rest, but compare it to something that's a chore to watch like Zombie.

Cheech

Norml said:
saw this at AVS.:lol

I frequent that site quite a bit, and am SCARED to see what is going on over there. Remember when they had to shut the HD-DVD/BD forums down because the natives got too surly with each other??

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
f_elz said:
warner to br?
good, i have both formats but confusion is bad for consumers.

Which is why Warner is going with blu-ray to help end the war and make one solid choice for consumers.

nib95

Banned
Post from DVD boards:

Steve_Zissou posted:

Well, if the talk around the office at Warner turns out true the wake this announcement has caused hasn't even come close to hitting yet. My guy at Warner says a lot of the talk coming from the upper level guys at WHV is going something like this:

1. Toshiba ending HD DVD stand alone production within 8 weeks.
2. MS will be notifying retailers to liquidate any remaining 360 add-ons.
3. P/DW will be allowed out of their contract.
4. Universal will be canceling production of HD discs with a BD launch date as early as Q3 2008.
5. The BDA made a nearly $300 million dollar package of marketing incentives, production incentives, and cash payments to get Warner to switch now.
6. The HD DVD promo group recently offered a similar package totaling $350 million.

He says 2 and 3 could be announced as soon as Monday. 1 and 4 might be a little ways off.

Take it for what you will.

Tmac

neojubei said:
Which is why Warner is going with blu-ray to help end the war and make one solid choice for consumers.

Yup, warner bussiness is to sell movies, and not hardware.

Surprizing is that they took too long to make that decision.

Tron 2.0

Is this good for the PS3? It's not bad for the PS3, but no one's going to rush out and buy one because of this.

Is this good for Blu-Ray? Yes.

SPEA

nib95 said:
Post from DVD boards:

Steve_Zissou posted:

Well, if the talk around the office at Warner turns out true the wake this announcement has caused hasn't even come close to hitting yet. My guy at Warner says a lot of the talk coming from the upper level guys at WHV is going something like this:

4. Universal will be canceling production of HD discs with a BD launch date as early as Q3 2008.
5. The BDA made a nearly $300 million dollar package of marketing incentives, production incentives, and cash payments to get Warner to switch now.
6. The HD DVD promo group recently offered a similar package totaling $350 million.

He says 2 and 3 could be announced as soon as Monday. 1 and 4 might be a little ways off.

Toshiba can't be packing it up that soon. Can they?

besides the deepest dwellers of the internet on a friday night....who gives two shits about this?

Since the last 12 pages wasn't about gaming at all, let me make it relevant to this side of the forum again. I don't think this will do anything significant to sells for the ps3 whatsoever.

Mojovonio

Banned
Tron 2.0 said:
Is this good for the PS3? It's not bad for the PS3, but no one's going to rush out and buy one because of this.

Is this good for Blu-Ray? Yes.

Could they at least inherit the HD-DVD name?

Blu-ray doesn't sound like a format, it sounds like a Ninja Turtles character.

At least with HD-DVD you would think, oh that's a HD version of a DVD.

Whatever.

Zophar

nib95 said:
Post from DVD boards:

Steve_Zissou posted:

Jesus. All it takes is one stone to start the avalanche.

Jonnyram

So how long are Paramount/DreamWorks exclusive to HD-DVD?
Does this even begin to end the war or does it just make the war more exciting?

topsyturvy said:
besides the deepest dwellers of the internet on a friday night....who gives two shits about this?

Since the last 12 pages wasn't about gaming at all, let me make it relevant to this side of the forum again. I don't think.

Fixed.

Mojovonio said:
Could they at least inherit the HD-DVD name?

Blu-ray doesn't sound like a format, it sounds like a Ninja Turtles character.

At least with HD-DVD you would think, oh that's a HD version of a DVD.

Whatever.

HDDVD is even more confusing to slackjawed joe consumer. remember that story about how people were buying Planet Earth on HDDVD thinking it would play on their HDTVs on a regular DVD player? They had a good time trying to return opened those box sets.

At least with bluray, the name alone forces them to do a little research about it.

Raistlin

nib95 said:
Post from DVD boards:

Steve_Zissou posted:

Oh lol.

Jirotrom

topsyturvy said:

Since the last 12 pages wasn't about gaming at all, let me make it relevant to this side of the forum again. I don't think this will do anything significant to sells for the ps3 whatsoever.
why... thi sis great news for the ps3 and really what it needed. It will do alot over time. Mind share will finally acknowledge Bluray as the only movie format and ps3's will sell. Now how long this takes who knows. But if places start liquidating their HDDVDs...man my HDDVD collection is about to get real big.:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom