• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

cilonen

Loudninja said:
lol, what does the awards have to do with anything?

I think the 'Yikes' is more about them spending something like 5 minutes total out of their presentation talking about HDDVD if you take engadget's timings.

Raist said:
p1070010_small.jpg

Looks somewhat wrong.

Spin cycle set on "Desperation".

Rolf NB

Eteric Rice said:
Nah, my pride and disdain for Sony prevents me from doing so.

Good news is that there's already a standalone player for $299. A few more months and it'll probably go down more. :D
You can hurt Sony so much more by buying a PS3 and not using it for games. Just imagine what happens when hundards of tousands of people like you cooperatively ruin PS3 software attach rates!

cilonen said:
I think the 'Yikes' is more about them spending something like 5 minutes total out of their presentation talking about HDDVD if you take engadget's timings.

You can't really blame them though. I'm sure there other business ventures are much more successful than this has turned out to be so its best to skim over it as quick as possible.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
A little more coverage of the Toshiba presser re. HD-DVD.

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/01/ces-2008-toshib.html

"As you can imagine this is a hard day for me," said Toshiba vice president of marketing Jodi Sally. "... The events of the last few days have shifted the focus on my comments."

Those comments amounted to an exhortation not to write them off.

"We firmly believe HD-DVD is the best format for the consumer," she added. People had written it off before as dead, Sally said, and shouldn't be quick to do so now.

Interesting she says that this forced them to shift their comments..there are virtually no references to the future there, whereas pre-Warner-bomb-droppen, it was probably very different.

Another report says she was somewhat emotional, another says that she was followed by a TV exec who said he would try to "liven things up", following with some jokes to boost the mood. All the signs of a company seriously taking stock at the moment.

cilonen

MassiveAttack said:
It's convenient now, isn't it? A year ago it was all doom and gloom and predictions of disaster for PS3 due to the delays caused by the inclusion of Blu-ray, how utterly useless it was and how Kutaragi was a lunatic. Now the new refrain is, "Bu-bu-bu-but there's no way the victory of Blu-ray will help PS3 anyway!"

:lol

Yep, as it's well known that including high-capacity and even cutting-edge optical media in it's consoles has so far only caused pain for Sony.

(Edit for wine-induced paranoia - I'm agreeing with you and laughing at your observation, not at you!)

Danielsan

shenmue mugen said:
I sincerely fail to see how the ps3 could benefit from bluray victory.
Blu-ray becomes the new standard. Blu-ray technology slowly becomes cheap as dirt. PS3 goes even further down in price = more PS3 sales.

Blu-ray becomes the new standard, people with HDtvs want a Blu-ray player. PS3 has a built in high quality Blu-ray player = more PS3 sales.

Loudninja

gofreak said:

Interesting she says that this forced them to shift their comments..there are virtually no references to the future there, whereas pre-Warner-bomb-droppen, it was probably very different.

Another report says she was somewhat emotional, another says that she's followed by a TV exec who said he would try to "liven things up", following with some jokes to boost the mood.

That bad huh?

womfalcs3

Banned
Raist said:
p1070010_small.jpg

Looks somewhat wrong.

Those are standalone players (correct?). Which doesn't look wrong to me. There are more BD player manufacturers, and combined they have more sold, but Toshiba has the largest stake more than any other single manufacturer.

It doesn't include the PS3, which is expected spin, but it's not false.

FIREBABY

MassiveAttack said:
It's convenient now, isn't it? A year ago it was all doom and gloom and predictions of disaster for PS3 due to the delays caused by the inclusion of Blu-ray, how utterly useless it was and how Kutaragi was a lunatic. Now the new refrain is, "Bu-bu-bu-but there's no way the victory of Blu-ray will help PS3 anyway!"
So bluray not only killed HD dvd but it killed DVD also? And where exactly does this help PS3 in the games area? Unless Warner releases the sequel to Enter the Matrix what possible way does this bode well for the games? But I see some of you just predicting an all out victory for PS3 because of this.

Kittonwy

Banned
gofreak said:

Another report says she was somewhat emotional, another says that she's followed by a TV exec who said he would try to "liven things up", following with some jokes to boost the mood.

The fact that she had to say, "we're not dead" already hints at her own doubt about the viability of HD-DVD, it's almost sad if HD-DVD wasn't so long overdue to die die die.
Indifferent2.gif

DrXym

gofreak said:

I'd love to know what they were planning to say which got shitcanned at the eleventh hour. My money is they were about to announce a Toshiba branded 360 with internal HD DVD but thought better of it. Even more sad / hilarious (depending on where you stand) if they were going to welcome Warner onto their side with much fanfare. I hope the execs save the slides so we can see them posthumously some day.

Aggelos

MassiveAttack said:

warthog said:
I fail to see how anyone could fail to see how this benefits the PS3.

Haha, you brothers rock!!!

I was wondering if SCEI changed strategy on how to win the next-gen war. SCEI realised that they lose game exclusivities, thus they decided to beat the antagonism with their new media technology (Blu-Ray), instead of killer exclusive game library.....
Or to use the new media as a primary weapon for PS3........

Ashitaka

DrXym said:
Looks totally wrong unless they're doing their usual bullshit of pretending the PS3 doesn't exist except when talking about attach rates.

I'm sure they are, otherwise the Sony slice in that pie would be much larger. The nice thing is it validates the news that Blu-Ray stand-alones outsold HD-DVD, despite the lower prices on Toshiba's gear.

FIREBABY said:
So bluray not only killed HD dvd but it killed DVD also? And where exactly does this help PS3 in the games area? Unless Warner releases the sequel to Enter the Matrix what possible way does this bode well for the games? But I see some of you just predicting an all out victory for PS3 because of this.

Reading comprehension? I'm reading my post over and over and over again and somehow I'm missing these predictions you speak of.

Kittonwy said:
The fact that she had to say, "we're not dead" already hints at her own doubt about the viability of HD-DVD, it's almost sad if HD-DVD wasn't so long overdue to die die die.
Indifferent2.gif

I would like permission to act in the same way if console X gets third place by 2010.

DrXym said:
I'd love to know what they were planning to say which got shitcanned at the eleventh hour. My money is they were about to announce a Toshiba branded 360 with internal HD DVD but thought better of it.

I called it.

Kittonwy

Banned
FIREBABY said:

Consumer hesitation is starting to hurt DVD, those who want to upgrade don't know which one to upgrade, those who own Blu-Ray can't get certain movies because they're on fucking HD-DVD, but they don't want to buy them on DVD. Because of the format war, they don't buy ANYTHING, HD-DVD hurts everybody who are counting on a smooth transition from DVD to the next format Blu-Ray.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Danielsan said:
Blu-ray becomes the new standard. Blu-ray technology slowly becomes cheap as dirt. PS3 goes even further down in price = more PS3 sales.

Blu-ray becomes the new standard, people with HDtvs want a Blu-ray player. PS3 has a built in high quality Blu-ray player = more PS3 sales.

I've been saying this since day one. The reason the ps3 has dropped in price so quickly IS blu-ray, I mean lack of sales obviously pushed it along, but blu-ray made it possible. Sony trying to get a kickstart on blu-ray with ps3 which makes them truckloads of money in the long run, so the short term sacrifice has clearly payed off.

It's been stated a bunch before though, the blu-ray laser was an extremely expensive component in the ps3 that has just come so far down from where it was allowing for these price drops. 65nm came in for cell, and RSX 65nm will come out allowing for yet another price drop. This will come in time for the holidays next year which I expect a completely different story. By then bluray will be declared the winner, HD will make it's huge penetration into the market, and everyones going to look to the cheap player, and what better way than to get a ps3 for the family? By then, killzone 2, GT5, LBP, resisatnce 2, motorstorm 2, and more and more will be out. This really has a bigger impact than most think.

Ashhong

Aggelos said:
Haha, you brothers rock!!!

I was wondering if SCEI changed strategy on how to win the next-gen war. SCEI realised that they lose game exclusivities, thus they decided to beat the antagonism with their new media technology (Blu-Ray), instead of killer exclusive game library.....
Or to use the new media as a primary weapon for PS3........

Yes, because the idea to include blu-ray came AFTER they lost GTA4 and DMC4.

cilonen

FIREBABY said:

That's odd, because I don't see anyone doing that. DVD doesn't need to be killed - hell, the PS3 even upscales well, so you can get one and you get a Blu Ray player for the Hi Def experience and a decent upscaler for your existing discs, win-win!

The merits of Blu Ray as a gaming device remain exactly as they were before, have been argued many times, and have absolutely no relevance to the argument that Blu Ray becoming the de-facto Hi Def optical media standard will help PS3 sales in the same way that having a DVD player in the PS2 helped PS2 sales - probably to a lesser extent as actual gaming console competition to the PS3 is way stronger this time round, but it should provide a boost for the machine.

FIREBABY

MassiveAttack said:
Reading comprehension? I'm reading my post over and over and over again and somehow I'm missing these predictions you speak of.
:lol Don't just read your post. read the rest of this thread. Comprehension. reading....yeah.

Aggelos

Kittonwy said:
Consumer hesitation is starting to hurt DVD, those who want to upgrade don't know which one to upgrade, those who own Blu-Ray can't get certain movies because they're on fucking HD-DVD, but they don't want to buy them on DVD. Because of the format war, they don't buy ANYTHING, HD-DVD hurts everybody who are counting on a smooth transition from DVD to the next format Blu-Ray.

HD-DVD is nothing more than a thorn to the HD evolution.....

Rolf NB

FIREBABY said:
Set A is the group of people who want a current-gen console (maybe they want a PS3 specifically, or maybe they haven't made a decision yet).
Set B is the group of people who want to add an HD movie player to their HT arsenal.

The intersection of the two sets will find the PS3 to be highly attractive. But even outside of the intersection, it's reasonable to expect some synergies.
I.e. either set will find the PS3 attractive to some extent, and should they make the purchase, they also have a trojan horse in their house that increases the effective market size for "the other thing" they did not initially want. If you have a PS3 in your home for games, and go shopping for movies, suddenly Blu-ray versions of films become applicable purchases, and if the price/benefit ratio is good enough for you personally, you will end up buying a Blu-ray instead of a DVD. Other way 'round for games. Why buy Lego Star Wars for the Wii if you might as well play the high-def version on your PS3. Or something.

It really is easy to understand. If you go in with a clenched face and desire nothing more than Sony HQ being swallowed by the earth in a massive quake, yeah, I could see you having reservations against the obvious.

gofreak said:

Another report says she was somewhat emotional, another says that she was followed by a TV exec who said he would try to "liven things up", following with some jokes to boost the mood. All the signs of a company seriously taking stock at the moment.

Yeah don't write HDDVD off so quickly, I mean check out all the awards they won in the last year. Surely that's gotta give consumers confidence that HDDVD is the way to go.

Frankly I just wish HD-DVD had died a year ago. Or at birth. Blu-Ray was always destined to win out of the two formats, and abso-fucking-lutely nothing good came from this little stall tactic.

Aggelos

Ashhong said:
Yes, because the idea to include blu-ray came AFTER they lost GTA4 and DMC4.

No, I didn't mean that. People are bitching about PS3's library for having so many multi games. So fans desire from SCEI to get some freakin exclusives for the console (agreements/moneyhats with third-parties).
Thus I said SCEI might have changed their strategy (SCEI said we don't care so much about exclusives) & subsequently they stress on Blu-Ray (and other features) to win the war.....

FIREBABY said:
:lol Don't just read your post. read the rest of this thread. Comprehension. reading....yeah.

Thanks for the effort but please show me where these supposed predictions of all-out victory for PS3 are posted. I think 95% of the posts in this thread are simply relief over the emergence of a single HD format. The other 5% are speculations on how this might help PS3 sales in the long run. To speculate that the victory of Blu-ray will have no positive impact on PS3 sales is purely abject denial or simple ignorance. To what extent it will help PS3 is anyone's guess but this is certainly a far cry from 2006 and the proclamations of Kutaragi's insanity and the wasted efforts of Sony to include BD.

Tu comprends?

Rolf NB

Aggelos said:
No, I didn't mean that. People are bitching about PS3's library for having so many multi games. So fans desire from SCEI to get some freakin exclusives for the console (agreements/moneyhats with third-parties).
Thus I said SCEI might have changed their strategy (SCEI said we don't care so much about exclusives) & subsequently they stress on Blu-Ray (and other features) to win the war.....
Meanwhile, in the real world, no other platform holder controls as many studios nor develops anywhere near as much software internally as Sony.

OmniGamer

Man what a weekend...i've read through this thread from the announcement to current post, as well as the mother thread in the OT forum. Pretty much everthing has been covered, but it's especially funny how such rabid HD-DVD supporters, with their 25+ collections, now poo-poo on Hi Def movies altogether simply because their side got dealt a potentially(being nice here) fatal blow and say "Pfft, DD is gonna kill Blu-Ray, nobody cares about disks". Yeah ok Mr. 25+ HD-DVD collector...

Then there's the "But Blu-Ray would suck if it wasn't for HD-DVD putting pressure on them to support better codecs, interactive features" etc. It goes both way...HD-DVD moving from red laser to blue for instance. Both formats went through their evolutions. And you wouldn't have those "cheap prices" if it wasn't for the sheer desperation on Toshiba's part trying to get a foothold in the market against the greater studio support, greater manufacturer support, and PS3 triple combo.

I've said this before, HD-DVDs flaws were mostly fixed(Less storage, less video bandwidth as well as less total overall bandwidth), and advantages, short term(price, being first to market, HDi features). A rational look at both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD would always have things stacked in BR's favor. Anyone who has been an early adoptor for HD-DVD had to have known the risks and therefore can't go screaming and crying when things are finally starting to move towards a one format hi-def future.

Like what you want, but don't be a braindead hypocrite about it. Having one format is what's best for EVERYONE, and it was ALWAYS more likely and easier for support to shift from neutral/HD-DVD to Blu-Ray, than from neutral/Blu-Ray to HD-DVD. Why swim upstream just for the sake of swimming upstream.

For me personally, the PS3 was a clearcut choice for me. I had just recently got an HDTV, and what better way to feed it high quality HD content than to pair it with a PS3. Hi Def games AND Hi Def movies. Add in the backwards compatibility(my PS2 died shortly after getting Soul Calibur III), the multimedia functions, etc. And finally, even IF blu-ray "failed" and only became nitch for hi def movies, it would STILL BE an advantageous format for gaming. Simply being proprietary doesn't mean it's bad...Dreamcast's GD-ROM offered more than CD-ROMs, same as Gamecube's mini dvds. More storage is good for gaming

Kittonwy

Banned
Falagard said:
Dude, I can afford it, I make 6 digits. It's my wife that's the problem.

Send her some flowers, that always works. Card should have a cute kitton on it and say, "can I haz a PS3 pleazzz? You can play Singstar on it honey."
Indifferent2.gif

warthog said:
I fail to see how anyone could fail to see how this benefits the PS3.

Clearly it helps the PS3 but I don't think it's nearly close to the game changer some of you folks think it is. The format still has a lot of issues to overcome. You have to look at it from the view of the common consumer and not the videophile. What does the HD media bring to the table other than HD? Also look at the costs and how ingrained DVD is currently. Total HD sales of both formats still account for a minuscule percentage of total home video sales. Remember, this has to be cheap enough that people are willing to replace all of their DVD players, people aren't going to be happy with a movie they can only watch on their big TV, but that they can't watch on the bedroom TV, or the kids can't watch in their play room or in their SUV/Minivan. VHS to DVD didn't have some of these problems, how many cars ship now with DVD players in them for instance as opposed to cars that shipped with a VHS?

And look, one thing we should have learned over here in the game forum is that HD doesn't really matter, case and point being the Wii.

Kittonwy said:
Send her some flowers, that always works. Card should have a cute kitton on it and say, "can I haz a PS3 pleazzz? You can play Singstar on it honey."
Indifferent2.gif

:lol I'm telling all my married friends about the Kittonwy technique for instant win.

Big, big blow to HD-DVD. I personally backed it over Blu-Ray since it was more consumer friendly. Either way we only need one format, the sooner this is over, the better for all of us.

Ashhong

Aggelos said:

I don't remember SCEI ever commenting on blu-ray. Blu-ray is ALOT bigger than just SCE. And I'm pretty sure Sony as a whole have always been stressing on BR to help the PS3 and vice versa. Hence the fact that they bit the bullet and included it with every console.

FIREBABY

Kittonwy said:
I agree with you somewhat. BUt there are other things besides this BRD/HDDVD war thats lead to consumer hesitation. Piracy and price are why most likely among other things why DVD sales fell a little bit. Not saying the HDM wasn't part of it, its just not the only reason. Those who own HD DVD only were in the same position the Blu ray only camp was to. You had movies on both sides that you couldn't buy. But if you really wanted the movie anyway you would still buy it. Yeah its not in HD but those players on both sides upscale pretty fine.

I for one, was hoping for smooth transistion also before the camps were split. So both IMO are hurting everybody, not just HD DVD.

wazoo

cilonen said:
That's odd, because I don't see anyone doing that. DVD doesn't need to be killed - hell, the PS3 even upscales well, so you can get one and you get a Blu Ray player for the Hi Def experience and a decent upscaler for your existing discs, win-win!

DVD need to be replaced because some of the DVD royalties and patents are coming to public domain, and the manufacturers need something else to replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom