• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firewire

Banned
I wouldn't count on any GOW movie hitting in the next few years. Last I heard there were no concrete plans on when & if it would be made. If they think they could make it with a half decent budget it would be beneficial to release it along side GOW3, but it doesn't seem likely.

knicks

gkrykewy said:
Well, no, if fox and WB had both gone HD, Disney would have been the only BRD major aside from the Sony studios. Fox and WB both going HD would have been a relatively quick end to the war, just going the other way.

Doubt it, Blu-ray has outsold HD-DVD every single week since its release but that didnt end the war. HD-DVD had only Universal as their exclusive producers for almost 1 year and it lived on while blu ray had 2 major exlcusive companies and the films that came out on both formats sold much better on blu-ray. Having Fox and Warner move to the HD-DVD side would be a disaster.

Also the way Fox has been trashing HD-DVD in the past months it would be a total embarrassment to move now clearly showing that they were bribed.

Falagard said:
I'm sure it's been said a thousand times already, but Blu-Ray outselling HD-DVD over the last year didn't mean much because both formats were selling insignificant numbers. Once a player came out that was in the $100 to $150 range, Joe 6 pack decides he'll buy one from Walmart and that's when the numbers start to matter.

So, let's assume that Blu-Ray has won and HD-DVD is going to silently slip away. When am I going to see a Blu-Ray player for $150? I could have picked up an HD-DVD player this weekend for that price, but Blu-Ray is $400 for the PS3 or $499 for a standalone. Now I have to wait for however long it takes for the prices of Blu-Ray players to drop.

Actually, the cheapest BR stand alone is actually the Samsung BD-P1400 at $339.36

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000TME35W/panandscathed-20

This player was temporarily avaiable on Amazon for just $270 during the holiday shopping period.

And to think that just think time last year the cheapest BR stand alone was still @ $1000. Hava a little patience! The price of electronics always comes down. $150 or less is simply an inevitabilty.

The problem is that while HD DVD could afford to keep fighting, and could stick around for years if they wanted to on bribed studios and cheap subsidized players, they won't. Their strategy is only profitable if they win, and on top of it, their players go mainstream. It's entirely possible, even if they had beaten Blu-ray, Fox went neutral, Warner went HD DVD and Disney had to go neutral as well... Sony and the PS3 would keep Blu-ray afloat, alone... for a little while. The standalones would crash, and nobody would want one, but the PS3 owners would continue to buy whatever was available, and for a year or so Blu-ray would remain on retail shelves. In fact, I have to say, the PS3 and Sony Pictures alone meant that HD DVD would never have become popular enough to justify the investment put forth on it.

At this point, it should be obvious to Toshiba investors. Even if the management want to continue this war, the investors are not going to want to keep pushing forward with no hope of profit. Even if after a 4 year long battle, with spectacular turnarounds, at the end of it, could HD DVD in its wildest dreams do anything except hurt Blu-ray? Could it actually become self sufficient and profitable enough to justify the effort it would take to get there?

At this point I dont see Toshiba making any more unprofitable moves, which means I don't see them continue to give an financial incentives to movie studios to remain exclusive. This being the case, the remaining studios are going to come to the same conclusion Warner did, only it'll be an easier choice for them now that Warner already made the answer more apparent.

There's not much that can be done. Microsoft's shills have already abandoned HD DVD, made their parting insults directed towards Blu-ray and declared that Digital Downloads is the future and always was.

Myself, I believe that in the future digital downloads and Blu-ray can live together, with people picking up their movie in the store, or downloading to their computer, and copying to a usb 3.0, 200 gig flash drive or burning it on their blu-ray burner to play on their tv. People are either going to buy the media directly or want to burn hard copies themself so they don't have to take up storage space for their collection and it's most secure from any technical glitch. If you ask me, that's the future, where digital downloads will help us if we don't want to go out to the store, or want an obscure movie that retailers don't want to stock. All their while, our physical media can be stored to PC or our digital media can get stored physically. Is there any other possible future really? Are people going to abandon owning discs? Are brick and mortar stores all going to close shop, and Walmart stop selling discs? The scenario is highly unlikely, at least for many, many years. But by that point, we'll probably have TVs with higher resolution than 1080P, and movies will be pressed on 200 gig blu-rays, with players that stream 4 times the data per second, and most theaters themself will be showing film at higher resolution, with new technology.

Falagard

PuppetMaster said:
Actually, the cheapest BR stand alone is actually the Samsung BD-P1400 at $339.36

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000TME35W/panandscathed-20

This player was temporarily avaiable on Amazon for just $270 during the holiday shopping period.

And to think that just think time last year the cheapest BR stand alone was still @ $1000. Hava a little patience! The price of electronics always comes down. $150 or less is simply an inevitabilty.

$340 is not $150. I know that BR coming down to $150 is an inevitability, but how soon? This year, 2008? Are there any cheap Chinese manufacturers making BR players?

I just want a damned high def player, and at least HD-DVD was in my price range. Walmart is selling the Venturer HD-DVD player which is actually a reskinned Toshiba HD-A3 (identical internal hardware) for $200 right now in Canada. I bought an HD-A3 on Thursday, three days ago, for $250 from Futureshop because I was willing to spend the extra $50 for Toshiba brand and 5 free HD-DVDs, and then on Friday Warner announces the switch to Blu-Ray and I returned the player on Saturday. Now I am not going to have an HD player until the Blu-Ray players drop to around $200, and Joe Six Pack won't be buying them till they drop below $150.

I don't care who wins the HD war, I just want an HD player and am pissed that HD-DVD is out of the game because they were cheaper and Blu-Ray players are too expensive.

Yeah they really need to get the prices down for mass market adoption. You have to remember how ingrained DVD players are now. People don't just own a single player, they have the one on the main TV, the one in the kids play room, the one in the bedroom, the one installed in their SUV/Minivan. So it has to be a viable choice for that family. They aren't going to want to buy Wall-E on Blu-Ray if they can't play it in their SUV for their kids, they'll just get the DVD.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I would say in 2008 you'll have your wish, Falagard. There are supposed to be 'cheap' chinese players in the works, for example.

The thing to remember is that all the CE manufacturers would be a little more reticent to take a risk on lower priced players while the format war brewed on. If there's clearly one format for the future, I think there'll be more effort to drive the prices down because there's less risk of being stuck with stock and R&D that'll be useless going forward. While that risk was there, most CE manufacturers would like to make as much as they can off of every unit in case things went tits up.

Except Toshiba, or course, whose pricing strategy was determined by competitive desperation.

When the format war is clearly done, if it's not already, I expect/hope the entire chain from tip to toe will push more aggressively with the format.

Firewire

Banned
Falagard said:
$340 is not $150. I know that BR coming down to $150 is an inevitability, but how soon? This year, 2008? Are there any cheap Chinese manufacturers making BR players?

I just want a damned high def player, and at least HD-DVD was in my price range. Walmart is selling the Venturer HD-DVD player which is actually a reskinned Toshiba HD-A3 (identical internal hardware) for $200 right now in Canada. I bought an HD-A3 on Thursday, three days ago, for $250 from Futureshop because I was willing to spend the extra $50 for Toshiba brand and 5 free HD-DVDs, and then on Friday Warner announces the switch to Blu-Ray and I returned the player on Saturday. Now I am not going to have an HD player until the Blu-Ray players drop to around $200, and Joe Six Pack won't be buying them till they drop below $150.

I don't care who wins the HD war, I just want an HD player and am pissed that HD-DVD is out of the game because they were cheaper and Blu-Ray players are too expensive.

If you want it pay for it, otherwise stop bitching! There's a ton of shit I want like that new 70" Sony T.V. but I have to wait till I can afford it. And fuck for $399 you get a PS3 that you can play games on & watch HD blu ray movies on, there are options you just have to pony up for them.

Firestreak said:
The problem is that while HD DVD could afford to keep fighting, and could stick around for years if they wanted to on bribed studios and cheap subsidized players

So how was Blu-Ray different right out of the gate to today? Both platforms did the same thing, the only difference was Sony spent a lot more money on it by actual flatout buying studios ahead of Blu-Ray coming out for this sole purpose.

HocusPocus said:
So how was Blu-Ray different right out of the gate to today? Both platforms did the same thing, the only difference was Sony spent a lot more money on it by actual flatout buying studios ahead of Blu-Ray coming out for this sole purpose.
One of the big differences is that Sony had two big studios itself and some of its early exclusive supporters didn't need "bribes".

Falagard

gofreak said:
I would say in 2008 you'll have your wish, Falagard. There are supposed to be 'cheap' chinese players in the works, for example.

The thing to remember is that all the CE manufacturers would be a little more reticent to take a risk on lower priced players while the format war brewed on. If there's clearly one format for the future, I think there'll be more effort to drive the prices down because there's less risk of being stuck with stock and R&D that'll be useless going forward. While that risk was there, most CE manufacturers would like to make as much as they can off of every unit in case things went tits up.

Except Toshiba, or course, whose pricing strategy was determined by competitive desperation.

When the format war is clearly done, if it's not already, I expect/hope the entire chain from tip to toe will push more aggressively with the format.

I hope so. I'm happy the format war is over, whoever the winner is. I had hoped it'd be HD-DVD simply because they're cheaper and I like the fact that they had their spec nailed down right from the start (PiP, Internet interactivity, etc.). Now that Blu-Ray is winner, I wish Paramount would figure out how to switch over the Blu-Ray immediately instead of waiting the rest of their 18 month contract and make the whole thing complete.

Also, I want to see everything that was ever released exclusively for HD-DVD move over to Blu-Ray ASAP. Battlestar Galactica Season 1 Blu-Ray immediately, please.

ThirdEye

Falagard said:
I'm sure it's been said a thousand times already, but Blu-Ray outselling HD-DVD over the last year didn't mean much because both formats were selling insignificant numbers. Once a player came out that was in the $100 to $150 range, Joe 6 pack decides he'll buy one from Walmart and that's when the numbers start to matter.

So, let's assume that Blu-Ray has won and HD-DVD is going to silently slip away. When am I going to see a Blu-Ray player for $150? I could have picked up an HD-DVD player this weekend for that price, but Blu-Ray is $400 for the PS3 or $499 for a standalone. Now I have to wait for however long it takes for the prices of Blu-Ray players to drop.
Welcome to yesterday, $300 for a standalone.
http://funai.us/bluRayDiscFunai.aspx

Falagard

Firewire said:
If you want it pay for it, otherwise stop bitching! There's a ton of shit I want like that new 70" Sony T.V. but I have to wait till I can afford it. And fuck for $399 you get a PS3 that you can play games on & watch HD blu ray movies on, there are options you just have to pony up for them.

Dude, I can afford it, I make 6 digits. It's my wife that's the problem.

Metalmurphy said:
One of the big differences is that Sony had two big studios itself and some of its early exclusive supporters didn't need "bribes".

Ah I see I guess only the poor HD-DVD supporters had their pockets lined in all this wheeling and dealing. ahah

FIREBABY

Metalmurphy said:
Really? where did you find this info? Tell me, how were those board meetings.

DrXym

Falagard said:

You don't have to pay $340, since players are selling cheaper than that already. And there is at least one Chinese member of the BDA. Wait for CES to finish and I'm sure you'll hear all sorts of announcements.

It certainly isn't that far fetched to believe that player prices will be $200 before the year is out and possibly less if Chinese manufacturers become involved.

Toshiba had the luxury of being a monopoly (of its format) and could set the prices of its players however it liked. It chose to subsidize the players to make them more attractive, and handed out the A3 as a reference model to its Chinese subsiduary for rebranding. This is why they appear cheap.

I expect that in reality Toshiba was taking quite a hit on sales because fundamentally BD & HD DVD players have more or less the same hardware and software requirements.

Blu Ray doesn't have the luxury of being a monopoly (yes Sony is the main stakeholder but many electronics companies make and sell players and expect to do so at a profit) so prices are directly tied to consumer economics. So far companies have been releasing their 1st gen players which are largely pitched at AV enthusiasts. It seems likely that they'll be producing newer cheaper models to take advantage of the lower end as Blu goes mainstream. Again you might hear lots of announcements at CES.

I guess the answer is to be patient. I wouldn't recommend buying a player unless you think its the right price and the right content that you want to play. To be honest I think there are very few movies that justify buying in HD at current prices. The only advantage of buying straightaway is you might be able to take up the various BOGOF & 5 free disk offers. These are bound to disappear once the war is over. It might even make sense to buy a PS3 and have other uses for the device aside from playing movies.

Or if you wait, you may well find that a number of companies (including Toshiba) produce affordable hybrid players to mop up existing HD DVD owners. This might work out quite well if you can pick up some cheap HD DVD discs in a firesale.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Falagard said:
Battlestar Galactica Season 1 Blu-Ray immediately, please.

QFMFT. I have season one and two on DVD, but I'm pausing any further purchases now that there's perhaps a hope of this HD thing ending soon, and Universal hopping on Blu-ray sooner rather than later.

Eteric Rice said:
Nah, my pride and disdain for Sony prevents me from doing so.

Good news is that there's already a standalone player for $299. A few more months and it'll probably go down more. :D
Eteric Rice said:
I just didn't like their attitude much early on is all.

Though I suppose they have been put in their place, but still.
I don't understand ps3 haters like you. What attitude? They put in blu-ray which made it expensive but it's now paying off. Plus ps3 has been the cheapest and best blu-ray player since it's been out.

I think you just got convinced that they did something wrong by putting blu-ray in it and making it too expensive. If you looked at the cost of Blu-ray players at ps3's launch you'd see that the ps3 was way cheaper.

And amazing games like Resistance have been there since day 1.

HocusPocus said:
Ah I see I guess only the poor HD-DVD supporters had their pockets lined in all this wheeling and dealing. ahah
I did say some, and I didn't say HD-DVD did with all of them. They did it with Paramount that's a given. But there's nothing indicating that all the Bluray supporters were payed off. If you know something no one else knows then show us.

InterMoniker said:
I don't understand ps3 haters like you. What attitude? They put in blu-ray which made it expensive but it's now paying off. Plus ps3 has been the cheapest and best blu-ray player since it's been out.

I think you just got convinced that they did something wrong by putting blu-ray in it and making it too expensive. If you looked at the cost of Blu-ray players at ps3's launch you'd see that the ps3 was way cheaper.

If I had to come up with a one-word reason why people think this way, it'd be "Dreamcast." Ludicrous? Childish? Of course, but you'd be surprised how many people's opinions are formed like that.

Ceb

InterMoniker said:

It's just a poor excuse. Most PR monkeys have said some stupid shit, but he chooses to disregard such comments from his favored console makers.

badcrumble said:
If I had to come up with a one-word reason why people think this way, it'd be "Dreamcast." Ludicrous? Childish? Of course, but you'd be surprised how many people's opinions are formed like that.
Yeah, cuz the Sony-only guys are just so rational about their hate for the other two hardware manufacturers.

Fanboys come in all three flavours, and the funny thing about it is they're nearly impossible to tell apart if the label's off the can.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah, cuz the Sony-only guys are just so rational about their hate for the other two hardware manufacturers.

Fanboys come in all three flavours, and the funny thing about it is they're nearly impossible to tell apart if the label's off the can.
I agree, it's just thrown into sharper relief with Sony when you see some people refusing to buy any Sony product whatsoever and not just the console they dislike. I'd probably see that too with Microsoft, but, well, people can't really help buying Windows most of the time so it's a bit tougher to boycott :lol

Draft

Not yet. But if it accelerates the format war, and by holiday 2008 HD-DVDs are nowhere to be seen, then yes, definitely.

I have been sitting out the format war because I don't have an HDTV and also because I didn't want to end up on the losing side, whichever that turned out to be.

If this decision snowballs and everyone goes to Blu-Ray, then a Blu-Ray player becomes a lot more attractive, and if you're going to buy a Blu-Ray player, what else would you buy than PS3?

badcrumble said:
I agree, it's just thrown into sharper relief with Sony when you see some people refusing to buy any Sony product whatsoever and not just the console they dislike. I'd probably see that too with Microsoft, but, well, people can't really help buying Windows most of the time so it's a bit tougher to boycott :lol
It's not something I'd do, that's for sure. But my four year old EA boycott isn't much different from a certain point of view I guess, so I should probably just simmer down about it.

People can do what they want to do, but stuff like this is almost always about making a stand that won't make a difference at the cost of one's own enjoyment. Life's short, and Uncharted, Mario Galaxy, and Bioshock are too good!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ceb said:
It's just a poor excuse. Most PR monkeys have said some stupid shit, but he chooses to disregard such comments from his favored console makers.

Nuh-uh. I'm sure he thoroughly researchs the verbal history of executives relating to any company's products that he purchases, and makes sure they're pristine and that they have puppies and rainbows flying out of their asses before handing over any cash!

Seriously though, let the products do the talking. If a product is going to benefit you, give you something you want, holding yourself back because of what some exec said is pretty damn silly, no offense. Just buy what you want from a product-orientated POV, not a company/executive image POV. I mean, obviously one might have ethical concerns about SOME companies and their actions (like, I dunno, companies that make chemical weapons or something), but that hardly applies here to games consoles and movie players, and claims of their value.

Raistlin

pr0cs said:
It isn't.
So now he needs a new projector to get any benefit from BD?

You realize ... technology improves. In the A/V, it moves probably faster than in any other industry.

I'm sorry to clue you and your friend in, but evidently his projector is somewhat outdated based on your description.

I'm not sure why you same to be blaming BluRay for this.

badcrumble said:
Ceb said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way :) The ps3 is an amazing piece of hardware people have been really hard on it for it's price. Plus a lot of hardcore Nintendo/Xbox fans felt they needed to boycott it and tell people that it's no good when thats a god damn lie!
Segata Sanshiro said:

Flame bait alert!!! I've got plenty of real legit reasons that I don't want a 360.

Raistlin

supermackem said:
If his tv is a true 1080i set then going to p wont make that much difference at all as they are the same res.

Well ... there really aren't any true 1080i sets out there ...

tjhooker

Banned
Wow retailers dropped the HD-DVD branding in a real hurry :lol

I wonder if the XBox brand can survive this latest disaster especially after the RROD fiasco.

DSC00763.jpg

tjhooker said:

I wonder if the XBox brand can survive this latest disaster especially after the RROD fiasco.

DSC00763.jpg
:lol :lol :lol

Ouch, that's got to HURT. That's really just rough. That's mean.

InterMoniker said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way :) The ps3 is an amazing piece of hardware people have been really hard on it for it's price. Plus a lot of hardcore Nintendo/Xbox fans felt they needed to boycott it and tell people that it's no good when thats a god damn lie!
Flame bait alert!!! I've got plenty of real legit reasons that I don't want a 360.
And I'm sure many of the people who don't buy Playstation 3 have legit reasons beyond "Dreamcast", which is the post I was responding to. Annnnyway, until you walk in a man's shoes, it's impossible to fully understand his viewpoint, so you might just have to live and let live on this one.

Cute alarm you've got there though. Does it come in manly-matte-black?

badcrumble said:
I'd probably see that too with Microsoft, but, well, people can't really help buying Windows most of the time so it's a bit tougher to boycott :lol
not at all, although all this stability, security, privacy & freedom (reasons on their own to dump windos) came at a price, but learning is fun innit? linux4life!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
tjhooker said:

Funny pic, but that's silly dude.

Not enough people bought the add-on to damage the system's reputation in a broad sense. But if I had bought it, I'd be really pissed right now (particularly if I'd also made any other 'extra' invesments such as in storage or replacement hardware..I'd be thinking the hardware strategy was quite the mess at this point).

tjhooker said:

DSC00763.jpg
And people called you crazy. Your the man tjhooker.

Segata Sanshiro said:
And I'm sure many of the people who don't buy Playstation 3 have legit reasons beyond "Dreamcast", which is the post I was responding to. Annnnyway, until you walk in a man's shoes, it's impossible to fully understand his viewpoint, so you might just have to live and let live on this one.

Cute alarm you've got there though. Does it come in manly-matte-black?

Anyone comparing the ps3 to the Dreamcast in the first place is delusional. I'm done with you bullshit.

The 360 backing HD-dvd is a "Dreamcast" move if I've ever seen one.

Now lets see if the 360 can outsell the Xbox 1. < That might sound crazy to a lot of you X-box fans but I'm not joking. The 360 is at 17 million shipped (not sure how many are sold through though since that's shipped. It's greatest selling game is Halo 3 at 8.1 million.

The Xbox 1 sold 24 million with Halo 2 being the top selling game.

Aggelos

Guys its like an analyst said back in 2007 (I don't remember his name though).
PS3 is going to win the next-gen eventually, thanks to its Blu-Ray technology.
With Warner Bros decision, I think you're starting to realise the magnitute of such a statement and of such a technology (Blu-Ray).....

InterMoniker said:
Anyone comparing the ps3 to the Dreamcast in the first place is delusional. I'm done with you bullshit.

Now lets see if the 360 can outsell the Xbox 1.
You know, you aren't even reading the chain of posts. The one I responded to with my comment that you quote was a post by Badcrumble saying the reason why people dislike Sony is because of the Dreamcast. That it what I was responding to. So don't call me delusional just because you can't read, goofus.

But oh dang, you're attacking the Xbox, how will I ever go on? You should probably exchange correspondance with the Xbox fans that were calling me the Great Satan two days ago for asking questions about MS's PR from the other day! You guys have about the same ability to perceive the world outside your own feeble little box so I'm sure you'll get on famously!

Segata Sanshiro said:
You know, you aren't even reading the chain of posts. The one I responded to with my comment that you quote was a post by Badcrumble saying the reason why people dislike Sony is because of the Dreamcast. That it what I was responding to. So don't call me delusional just because you can't read, goofus.

But oh dang, you're attacking the Xbox, how will I ever go on? You should probably exchange correspondance with the Xbox fans that were calling me the Great Satan two days ago for asking questions about MS's PR from the other day! You guys have about the same ability to perceive the world outside your own feeble little box so I'm sure you'll get on famously!
I did read the chain of posts but I misunderstood and thought you were saying the "dreamcast" thing first. I see Badcruble said that now so you don't need to be using stupid words like goofus.

But why would someone not get the ps3 because of the dreamcast? Thats why I got mad because it just doesn't make any damn sense to me at all. I didn't mean to attack you Segata.

I had a Dreamcast and it was a lot of fun.

Aggelos

InterMoniker said:

I concur!:lol

There are at least 6+ milion PS3s out there, which means at least 6+ million Blu-Ray players.
On the other hand, Xbox360's HD-DVD add-on has sold 270,000+ units
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_accessories#HD_DVD_Player

Bye-bye HD-DVD!

InterMoniker said:
I did read the chain of posts but I misunderstood and thought you were saying the "dreamcast" thing first. I see Badcruble said that now so you don't need to be using stupid words like goofus.

But why would someone not get the ps3 because of the dreamcast? Thats why I got mad because it just doesn't make any damn sense to me at all. I didn't mean to attack you Segata.
Okay, let us make peace then, Sir Moniker. Enough blood has been shed on this day.

But I will say that "Goofus" is probably the most mild word you'll ever hear a person use in an argument. ;)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ThirdEye said:
Will Gates mention HD DVD or Blu-ray tomorrow?

I'd be surprised if he mentions either. If he does mention either it'll be HD-DVD though, they'd be happy to drag this dead horse along as far as possible if there was ANY hope that it would be sustainable as a thorn in BD's side.

I think comment from Paramount and Universal will be more interesting though.

tjhooker

Banned
It's no surprise that the same people that bought into HD-DVD and the 360 HD-DVD add-on can't comprehend the magnitude of the impact this will have on PS3 sales.

But then again their lack of foresight is what lead them down the HD-DVD path in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom