• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
Zabka said:
I'm not being pedantic, I am simply correcting you. Sony did not create DVDs or floppy disks.

Sony was involved with DVD along with a dozen other companies, and only after they realized they were set up to be on the losing end of another format war.

Not exactly being at the forefront of its development there.

3.5" floppies are great, but they came along more than 10 years after IBM created the first floppy disk.

I think you should just settle down.

His point was Sony was in it for almost every new physical format by either creating the formats themselves (BetaSP, DigiBeta, cassette, MiniDisc etc) or a competitive version (like MMCD , Blu-ray) in order to force an unified format in some kind of incentive. This is Sony's way of making money for many years. Sony, Toshiba and Matsishita had a sit down before the HDDVD/BR roll down trying to solve the difference and make an unified format).

Sony has as many if not more successful format as failed formats, so its not point to list the failed Sony formats to attack their busincess model. The business model is not the problem.

tino said:
His point was Sony was in it for almost every new physical format by either creating the formats themselves (BetaSP, DigiBeta, cassette, MiniDisc etc) or a competitive version (like MMCD , Blu-ray) in order to force an unified format in some kind of incentive.

Of course this is all getting sidetracked off the original point which was that deepbrown was saying Sony would know when it was time for digital distribution to which I was pointing out that they've already got caught blindsided once by it. Seriously when I was growing up Walkman was synonymous with portable music, today it's Ipod and Itunes.

Raistlin

Davidion said:
Not, even, CLOSE. This is coming from a big fan of DD.

Yeah ... I'm wondering if people have been thinking I'm just some physical-media freak or something.

I'm a fan of DD (when done right). Christ, I likely have more dedicated streaming in my pad then most of the people talking about DD here ... and that's why I KNOW it ain't viable in the near-term.

tino

Banned
forgeforsaken said:
Of course this is all getting sidetracked off the original point which was that deepbrown was saying Sony would know when it was time for digital distribution to which I was pointing out that they've already got caught blindsided once by it. Seriously when I was growing up Walkman was synonymous with portable music, today it's Ipod and Itunes.

But the whole music industry was surprised by it. They are not going to let Apple get away with video this time around. The example I can show you 1) there are better DD model than AppleTV, see hulu and 2) Sony are doing DD too. See Sony's PS3 cable streaming in other countries like Korea, and also PSP PC store.

The fact of matter is when it come to DD, content holder has more leverage to decide what model to use, both Sony and Steve Jobs has control and access to alot more content than Microsoft.

So my point is, it shouldn't come into a PS3/X360 debate at all since MS has very little advantage in DD.

Raistlin

tino said:
But the whole music industry was surprised by it.

Unfortunately, the music industry did not account for the fact people (in general) don't really have a major appreciation for audio quality ... at least not for normal usage (background music, while working out, etc). Convenience completely trumps quality.

Video on the other hand, especially for people with largish screens, is quite different. When watching a movie, one is concentrating far more than with typical audio listening. Because of this, quality will need to be preserved.

For that reason, there is unlikely to be any great surprise for the studios ... since the infrastructure to support such quality isn't there.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Onix said:
Unfortunately, the music industry did not account for the fact people (in general) don't really have a major appreciation for audio quality ... at least not for normal usage (background music, while working out, etc). Convenience completely trumps quality.

Video on the other hand, especially for people with largish screens, is quite different. When watching a movie, one is concentrating far more than with typical audio listening. Because of this, quality will need to be preserved.

For that reason, there is unlikely to be any great surprise for the studios ... since the infrastructure to support such quality isn't there.

Also, people trust their eyes over their ears.

iceatcs

and portable is popular, that's why mp3/ipod everywhere.

To movie DD boom happen, it will be hardy for HD market but portable can do

Onix said:
Who wants a BD-ROM (or HD DVD-ROM) on their computer though? Just wait for a burner.

I know at first I thought it was then squnted on the drive and didn't see it :(
I remember coughing up $200 for a early DVD burner back in the day.

Super_Chicken said:
Ya the first pc my parents bought didn't even have a cd burner it only had a CD reader I'm pretty sure. Man it's crazy how fast technology has grown and evolved.

Super_Chicken said:

That wasn't an early DVD burner. I remember paying $650 for a 1x DVD burner back in the day. My first CD-Rom burner was $450 as well. :lol

Raistlin

Pristine_Condition said:
That wasn't an early DVD burner. I remember paying $650 for a 1x DVD burner back in the day. My first CD-Rom burner was $450 as well. :lol

I was going to post this earlier :lol

Onix said:
Who wants a BD-ROM (or HD DVD-ROM) on their computer though? Just wait for a burner.

I do. I barely watch stuff off my PC anymore so I don't need to burn stuff to Blu Ray.

I just wish my PC was good enough. AGP GeForce7 and Pentium 4...

Raistlin

TheGreatDave said:
I do. I barely watch stuff off my PC anymore so I don't need to burn stuff to Blu Ray.

I'm confused ... if you barely watch stuff on your PC anymore, how is a BD-ROM the better alternative? :lol

At least with a burner, you can back up stuff ... as well as make stuff you could play on your TV (assuming you get a BD-ROM of some sort for there).

I'm really not following your logic

Onix said:
I'm confused ... if you barely watch stuff on your PC anymore, how is a BD-ROM the better alternative? :lol

At least with a burner, you can back up stuff ... as well as make stuff you could play on your TV (assuming you get a BD-ROM of some sort for there).

I'm really not following your logic

I'd be buying it just to watch Blu Ray movies on my PC through my monitor, which is my main TV. So I don't feel a need to wait for a burner version, because I'm not going to need copies, or that much storage space.

ghibli99

I'm LTTP on this, so my apologies for not being able to read through all 26 pages of this thread, but with this news, is there any reason (and please keep the sarcasm to a minimum :)) to keep my 360 HD-DVD drive?

I currently have a PS3 as well, and with this news, I felt like it all but put the nail in the coffin of HD-DVD, and the momentum is now really with Blu-ray. I've always hated this format war, and although I bought into both, I'm glad that the market is moving towards one format to rule them all... until the next one comes out at least. :)

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Raistlin

TheGreatDave said:
I'd be buying it just to watch Blu Ray movies on my PC through my monitor, which is my main TV. So I don't feel a need to wait for a burner version, because I'm not going to need copies, or that much storage space.

I getcha. I was just confused when you said you don't watch much on your PC anymore.

Onix said:
I getcha. I was just confused when you said you don't watch much on your PC anymore.

TheGreatDave said:
I barely watch stuff off my PC anymore

Terribly, terribly phrased, but I meant I don't watch content off-of my PC. As in, I watch it on my PC. It's late, I'm dumb, we can move on ;)

Raistlin

ghibli99 said:
I'm LTTP on this, so my apologies for not being able to read through all 26 pages of this thread, but with this news, is there any reason (and please keep the sarcasm to a minimum :)) to keep my 360 HD-DVD drive?

If you have a lot of Paramount* and Universal* discs, and don't want to be without them ... then maybe you should keep it. If you can live without them (at least for a while), then sell it as fast as you can.

* CES just started. There are rumors Uni may go neutral, so keep an eye on what goes on during CES ... and over the next few weeks.

I currently have a PS3 as well, and with this news, I felt like it all but put the nail in the coffin of HD-DVD, and the momentum is now really with Blu-ray. I've always hated this format war, and although I bought into both, I'm glad that the market is moving towards one format to rule them all... until the next one comes out at least. :)

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Regardless of your decision with the 360 addon ... I would certainly recommend not purchasing new HD DVD titles at this point. I'd stick with BluRay.

Kittonwy

Banned
Wollan said:
Not one word.
Though you could see the add-on pass by in a slide.

Holy shit Toshiba isolation am total.
Indifferent2.gif

ghibli99

Onix said:
If you have a lot of Paramount* and Universal* discs, and don't want to be without them ... then maybe you should keep it. If you can live without them (at least for a while), then sell it as fast as you can.

* CES just started. There are rumors Uni may go neutral, so keep an eye on what goes on during CES ... and over the next few weeks.
Thanks... I actually only have 3 titles on HD-DVD, and oddly enough, two of them are available on BRD, so go figure. I don't think I'll miss it, and it'll be an eyesore off of my A/V rack. I still don't understand why MS didn't build-in HD-DVD capabilities, even on the Elite system, or make an add-on drive that actually meshed well with the 360 system instead of looking exactly like what it is... ugly.

Onix said:
Regardless of you decision with the 360 addon ... I would certainly recommend not purchasing new HD DVD titles at this point. I'd stick with BluRay.
Sounds like a plan... I've basically only bought titles on the HD formats that warrant the better picture and audio (like the Pixar BRDs or Planet Earth), so I think it'll be nice to just deal with one. Thanks again for your input.

Raistlin

ghibli99 said:
Thanks... I actually only have 3 titles on HD-DVD, and oddly enough, two of them are available on BRD, so go figure.

In that case ... I'd say dump it while it still has some value. Absolutely no reason to keep it if you only have 3 titles IMO.

I don't think I'll miss it, and it'll be an eyesore off of my A/V rack. I still don't understand why MS didn't build-in HD-DVD capabilities, even on the Elite system, or make an add-on drive that actually meshed well with the 360 system instead of looking exactly like what it is... ugly.

MS could have had HD DVD in from the beginning ... but that would have meant delaying the 360 launch (they REALLY wanted to beat Sony to the punch as far as launch timeframe goes).

The problem was, what incentive did they have? They make some licensing fees from VC-1 and HD-i ... but that ain't enough to absorb the costs. MS knew the current situation was possible ... so while Toshiba may have been fine subsidizing costs at the start, there was no way they could guarantee doing it forever. MS wanted no part in the extra costs.

Sounds like a plan... I've basically only bought titles on the HD formats that warrant the better picture and audio (like the Pixar BRDs or Planet Earth), so I think it'll be nice to just deal with one. Thanks again for your input.

No problem.

As with you ... I'm just glad this shit is over with. This should mean more (and potentially better) releases, now that were down to one format. Let's just hope sales take off!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Pristine_Condition said:

Your $650 DVD burner wasn't an early burner, either. I remember someone I know mentioning how "cheap" his office's $5,000 DVD-R burner was since the previous model was $15,000. This was in early-'99. By early-'03 I was buying a burner for $175.

leehom

ghibli99 said:
Thanks... I actually only have 3 titles on HD-DVD, and oddly enough, two of them are available on BRD, so go figure. I don't think I'll miss it, and it'll be an eyesore off of my A/V rack. I still don't understand why MS didn't build-in HD-DVD capabilities, even on the Elite system, or make an add-on drive that actually meshed well with the 360 system instead of looking exactly like what it is... ugly.
the 360 wouldn't be where it is today if they didn't jump start sony. if they waited 6 months to a year to include a hd dvd player, do you think the prices would've still been $299/$399? it would've probably been $499/$599 or maybe even higher. releasing a similar system with the same price point would've been a huge disadvantage to microsoft.

Whoah! Sony put out a 27" OLED TV at CES!

Good lord I had no idea it was so far along!

A million to one contrast ratio is like a burning sun!

Raistlin

leehom said:
the 360 wouldn't be where it is today if they didn't jump start sony. if they waited 6 months to a year to include a hd dvd player, do you think the prices would've still been $299/$399? it would've probably been $499/$599 or maybe even higher. releasing a similar system with the same price point would've been a huge disadvantage to microsoft.

I completely agree.

I was just answering why HD DVD wasn't in 360.

UntoldDreams said:
Whoah! Sony put out a 27" OLED TV at CES!

Good lord I had no idea it was so far along!

A million to one contrast ratio is like a burning sun!

That one is a prototype however (the smaller one is the one showing up in the US stores now).

Kittonwy

Banned
I wonder what the execs at Toshiba are doing right now, everyone seemed to have bailed out on them, not ONE WORD of support from either Universal, Paramount or Microsoft, they didn't even TRY to fake a commitment.
Indifferent2.gif

The 2.0 update for ps3 was a no brainer surely, i mean it meets all the specs to be able to use 2.0. Now all we need is dts hd decoding and it really is the best bluray player on the market.

Kittonwy said:
I wonder what the execs at Toshiba are doing right now, everyone seemed to have bailed out on them, not ONE WORD of support from either Universal, Paramount or Microsoft, they didn't even TRY to fake a commitment.
Indifferent2.gif

I would think they are trying to cut a deal right now and get some royalties to call it quits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom