• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

herod

iPod comparison is specious, I don't carry a 1080p TV in my pocket, yet I own all my music on CD and always will.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
beermonkey@tehbias said:
I don't have an HTPC in my rack, but my 60GB is louder than my firstgen Tivo, my Scientific Atlanta DVR, my Xbox 1, and my Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player, all of which have fans.

It is quieter than my PS2 phat, my Dreamcast, and of course the 360.
I forgot how loud the Dreamcast was. I recently pulled it out for a little nostalgia trip and was shocked at the noise it generated. I remembered it being loud, but wow, it's much worse than I had expected. The fans themselves are pretty loud, but the GD-ROM drive is crazy. Now I remember why I found it so easy to prepare for random battles back in Eternal Arcadia (you could hear the drive access a few seconds before battle). :p

iPod comparison is specious, I don't carry a 1080p TV in my pocket, yet I own all my music on CD and always will.
I have no issues using MP3, though, as it really works well for portable devices and allows for large library access from anywhere. With music, you may not wish to take just one or two albums with you at a single time. I prefer to have a collection on hand when I'm on the go. MP3s are also incredibly small and entire albums can be downloaded in minutes.

Movies are entirely different and the reason why I see digital downloads as uninteresting. First of all, those looking for a home theatre experience have no interest in taking their films on the go and, as such, the use of physical media is of no concern. It's not likely that I would need a library of films on hand installed on a single device. When I watch a movie, I'm not going to jump around between films. Physical media works perfectly well for films as a result.

Then, of course, there is the issue of download size. It would require a significant amount of time (even on a fast connection) to download a Blu-ray size movie and storage space also becomes a limiting factor. Sure, you can compress HD video down to a more reasonable size, but then you end up sacrificing picture and audio quality. The difference between MP3 and an audio CD seems minimal to most folks (though the difference can certainly be heard), but a compressed video looks significantly worse than a high bitrate video on even cheap HDTVs.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Hey Bill, I want physical media.

So do I. The same can't be said for most people though.. I just saw the Virgin Megastore on Sunset close down after 15 years of business.. it usually felt like I was the only one in there buying cds/dvds.

Piper Az

GauntletFan said:
BG: No, not really. We have definitely worked with HD DVD in a very strong fashion. Our codecs and HDi are available on the other format and we are a leader in digital download so we have some involvement in all three approaches. In the long run, people don’t want physical media. You don’t say to yourself, what’s the format battle after CD. If someone tried to introduce a new music format, you’d laugh and say ‘well isn’t that my phone, my iPod and my Zune?’ And you’d be right

I'd have to agree with this. But the download speed needs to be uppped for large movies files to make Blu-ray/HD-DVD look obsolete.

pr0cs

I like the idea of having physical media but if you said to me that I could watch any movie I owned anywhere in the world where I have a network connection and I didn't have to use any disc space myself...that sounds pretty awesome to me.

Dragon

Banned
Piper Az said:
I'd have to agree with this. But the download speed needs to be uppped for large movies files to make Blu-ray/HD-DVD look obsolete.

When you can download a Blu-ray type file (50 GB) in the time it takes to download a Cd nowadays maybe his point would be clearer.

herod

pr0cs said:
I like the idea of having physical media but if you said to me that I could watch any movie I owned anywhere in the world where I have a network connection and I didn't have to use any disc space myself...that sounds pretty awesome to me.

sounds good for people who travel a lot yet still have spare time to watch a movie on a HDTV when they do. I'm not sure if that's a lot of people, it's certainly not me or anyone I know.

Piper Az

mckmas8808 said:
He didn't miss the point. Portable music is what helped digital downloaded music.

Wait, wasn't Walkman the quintessential device for portable music or are you that young not to know? :lol

Davidion

pr0cs said:

The move is being made towards digital distribution. However, it's done at a much slower pace than people would like to advocate and it's also not going to, in the near future (if ever), wipe out physical media. End of story

WrikaWrek

Banned
Good news for Movie collectors and videophiles. The best format is goint to win, which is good because i already started buying movies for it.

I don't see how this will help the Ps3 much though, at least not anymore of a help than it has been up until now.

pr0cs said:

Well considering DVD sales and the insane popularity of sites like youtube, it seems only enthusiasts even give a damn about HD quality in movies. Would a downloadable scheme work which used highly compressed video and was fast? sadly I think it might have a chance.

Also, I notice that downloadable rentals from XBL can stream before they have finished downloading, so you're not sitting waiting for the whole movie to download. That's a step in the right direction.

Piper Az

GauntletFan said:
Well considering DVD sales and the insane popularity of sites like youtube, it seems only enthusiasts even give a damn about HD quality in movies. Would a downloadable scheme work which used highly compressed video and was fast? sadly I think it might have a chance.

I actually would not mind downloading SD movies in an hour as long as it's upscaled on my HD-TV. Majority of HD-TV owners are not insterested in pure HD movies - they are perfectly content with upscaled stuff, for now.

dark10x

GauntletFan said:
Do you really think people sit down in the living room and gather around a Youtube movie in a series fashion? I love Youtube as much as the next guy and it is easy to have fun with it, but that doesn't mean people are watching actual movies on Youtube on a regular basis.

DVD sales continue, of course, as most people own DVD players. DVD sales will remain very strong for quite sometime. That doesn't mean Blu-ray can't co-exist. The fact that upgrading to a Blu-ray player does NOT make your DVD collection obselete also should help ease people into an eventual upgrade. When the move from VHS to DVD occured, it was clear that older collections of VHS films would no longer function on new DVD players. That is not the case here. For those with HDTVs, it's entirely possible that a Blu-ray player may end up as their first upscaling player as well which would only serve to enhance their older DVD collection. I really do think backwards compatibility is very important here.

I actually would not mind downloading SD movies in an hour as long as it's upscaled on my HD-TV. Majority of HD-TV owners are not insterested in pure HD movies - they are perfectly content with upscaled stuff, for now.
In many anecdotal cases, I've found this to be the case early on (as they adjust to their new TVs), but over time, everyone I've known (non-videophile people) have taken to real HD video and truly see the difference. They much prefer real HD content over upscaled SD.

ShinAmano

pr0cs said:
Yeah because most of the time i want to watch a movie I am somewhere around the world...:lol

Rolf NB

pr0cs said:
Nobody's saying that to you. And it's better this way, because it would be a lie.

dark10x said:
Do you really think people sit down in the living room and gather around a Youtube movie in a series fashion? I love Youtube as much as the next guy and it is easy to have fun with it, but that doesn't mean people are watching actual movies on Youtube on a regular basis.

My point is that Youtube is probably the number one place for people to go to watch 'video' these days, and how many complaints do you hear about the resolution. Personally I am a HD fanatic but from talking to other people, it just isn't a priority. The amount of movie buffs I know who show no interest in any HD format astounds me.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Piper Az said:
Wait, wasn't Walkman the quintessential device for portable music or are you that young not to know? :lol

Okay, I was saying that due to the fact that portable music was already big people downloading music and carrying it around was a no-brainer.

But downloading movies and carrying them around isn't going to be big at all. Not big enough to get rid of physical media.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Bourne ultimatum sold 5.7 million copies on DVD is 6 days+-. 6 freaking days.

It's going take a long ass time for the HD format to actually become the new DVD, the casuals aren't used to HD, so they don't notice the difference from DVD to HD (that's what i get from experiences with my GF and parents and friends). When HD becomes mainstream, you know when the main T.V channels adopt the HD as a standard and people start buying HD panels for their HD capabilities and not for their size (which happens alot...unfortunately), then we will start seeing some true changes.

mckmas8808 said:
Okay, I was saying that due to the fact that portable music was already big people downloading music and carrying it around was a no-brainer.

But downloading movies and carrying them around isn't going to be big at all. Not big enough to get rid of physical media.

It will happen soon enough. See you gotta think outside the box, the memory doesn't have to be all with you, on demand services will keep growing, memory keeps getting bigger and cheaper, new HDDs coming (the flash based ones) that last a life time.

Yeah i can see it, it's the future really, i think after the HD format, a new optical disk won't matter much.

mckmas8808

Piper Az said:

But do those same people not like physical media?

biggersmaller said:
This would maybe be a boon if it was still the cheapest BRP

As HDDVD has shown everyone, being the cheapest doesn't mean you're going to sell the best. The PS3 is the BR player of choice because it does so much more than that.

mckmas8808

GauntletFan said:
My point is that Youtube is probably the number one place for people to go to watch 'video' these days, and how many complaints do you hear about the resolution. Personally I am a HD fanatic but from talking to other people, it just isn't a priority. The amount of movie buffs I know who show no interest in any HD format astounds me.

How long are those 'videos' that you are talking about?

dark10x

GauntletFan said:
I also an HD fanatic, but I use Youtube on a regular basis. The type of videos people are viewing on Youtube really do not require HD. Even the lowest quality videos tend to work out just fine for the type of stuff you want to show people on Youtube.

I've found that Youtube is a terrible place for movie trailers and even those people I know who seemingly do not care about video quality recognize this and tend to avoid using it for showing off movie trailers. They'll comment on how "you can't really see what's going on" and the like while searching in google for an alternative (which always seems to come up as an Apple page, which people have no issues using, for the most part).

People are generally just watching short little comedy videos or fascinating stuff on Youtube rather than full length movies. I can't imagine anyone really enjoying a full blown movie via Youtube (especially considering its length limitations).

Piper Az

mckmas8808 said:
But do those same people not like physical media?

Well, the arugment is similar to music - if you can download an album at a reasonable speed by clicking a button, would you still prefer to own a physical CD disk? Similary, if you can download a movie (let's say upscaled SD) in a reasonable time (30 min - 1 hour) by clicking a button, and you can store it in your media devices (PS3, 360, PC, whatever else you've got), would you still prefer to have a physical DVD disk?

Wollan

For digital downloads there are three problems right now:
- Broadband isn't there yet. Device support isn't there yet.
- DD HD quality right now is usually 720p with low bitrate (these downloads also take significant amount of time).
- The market is split like hell with iTunes vs MS vs dozen of others (no one standard like Blu-ray for HDM).

mckmas8808 said:
How long are those 'videos' that you are talking about?

MC, it's not just YouTube. Raise your hand if you miss an episode of Friday Night Lights, content in the fact that you can catch it on NBC.com.

Although Bill Gates hasn't had much success in the business sector, I think in this instance, he's on the right track. Same with music, although to a much smaller degree (Videophiles outnumber Musicophiles by probably a billion to .5), portable and online full length video, I'd be willing to bet, has a greater penetration than HD disc-based media.

Wollan said:
- The market is split like hell iTunes vs MS vs dozen of others (no one standard like Blu-ray for HDM).

At this point that's like saying "The market is split like hell Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD." There's no significant competition when it comes to portable video right now.

dark10x

PjotrStroganov said:
Well, they are on stage6 and joox.
The quality is also significantly higher. Stage6 owns the crap out of DVD. Look, here's a cap from a random stage6 video (further compressed thanks to JPEG)...

vlcsnap-8537546.jpg

Piper Az

Wollan said:
- DD HD quality right now is usually 720p with low bitrate (these downloads also take significant amount of time).
- The market is split like hell with iTunes vs MS vs dozen of others (no one standard like Blu-ray for HDM).

All good points. I just hope that things will get going to resolve these problem. Like I said, I think most people would not mind upscaled SD movies if that means fast download time. Purist can stick with buying Blu-ray disks. I really hope MS Media Server stuff as well as other devices like the LG/Netflix or the PS3/360 can drive the download business.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Forsete said:
So were DVDs at first. Calm down, things will settle in time.

I know. But it hurts, yesterday i wanted to buy 300, but it was 30 euros and i had bought Pirates 3 not so long ago. Of course i ended up not buying 300 because it was 30 euros, too much.

That's the only thing that makes me :( about BR right now.

Wollan said:

- Heh, give it another year or two.
- Taking into account most casuals don't even care about the difference between DVd and Br right now, i find that hardly something that would turn people away today, all they see is "look, movie on Demand".
- The market is split like hell? Is the internet split like hell? Is ISP provider service split like hell? :lol That's how it will allways be you fool :p, there won't be a standard, there will be various service providers and people will choose from them.
It doesn't need to have a standard like BR, because there's no optical media, you don't have to manufacture disks....think about it.

WrikaWrek said:
- Heh, give it another year or two.
- Taking into account most casuals don't even care about the difference between DVd and Br right now, i find that hardly something that would turn people away today, all they see is "look, movie on Demand".
- The market is split like hell? Is the internet split like hell? Is ISP provider service split like hell? :lol That's how it will allways be you fool :p, there won't be a standard, there will be various service providers and people will choose from them.
It doesn't need to have a standard like BR, because there's no optical media, you don't have to manufacture disks....think about it.

You don't have to wait that long. 75% of the iPod line plays video. And that's a brand that's got bright future ahead of it, if you ask me.

2 and 3 are also quite fine points.

So what Bill really siad was:

People don't want the freedom to own and do what they want with media. The days of borrowing with neighbors are over, people don't like it. They want DRM and a loss of control.

GG Bill, but you're wrong all the way.

On Demand will catch on, but DD as a service will never replace physical media.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Piper Az said:
Well, the arugment is similar to music - if you can download an album at a reasonable speed by clicking a button, would you still prefer to own a physical CD disk? Similary, if you can download a movie (let's say upscaled SD) in a reasonable time (30 min - 1 hour) by clicking a button, and you can store it in your media devices (PS3, 360, PC, whatever else you've got), would you still prefer to have a physical DVD disk?
I still prefer physical CDs over digital download. Hell I can download a CD legally faster than I can run to the nearest CDshop and get a CD. But I still like the physical touch of CDs, and above all, I love the cover art. I even got a special CD-tower that holsters 100 CDs, plus 10 in the door, with the covers visible to anyone in the livingroom. People go "owh hey, I didn't know you liked Led Zeppelin." or "Hey, is that the new Foo Fighters CD? How is it?". I hardly see them scrolling through my harddrive doing that.

Rolf NB

BenjaminBirdie said:
You don't have to wait that long. 75% of the iPod line plays video. And that's a brand that's got bright future ahead of it, if you ask me.

2 and 3 are also quite fine points.
What kind of video resolution works on your iPod? 8x5 pixels?

jeremy_ricci said:
So what Bill really siad was:

People don't want the freedom to own and do what they want with media. The days of borrowing with neighbors are over, people don't like it. They want DRM and a loss of control.

GG Bill, but you're wrong all the way.

On Demand will catch on, but DD as a service will never replace physical media.

Some people clearly don't mind it, or iTMS would have shuttered a very long time ago.

El-Suave

Wollan said:

Another big problem is that there almost is NO market for downloads outside of the US. The Microsoft marketplace is a sorry excuse in Europe compared to what the US has and even an established service like iTunes hasn't managed to bring any TV shows over here (don't know how it is in the UK though).
Also I bet a lot of early adopters like myself won't accept just being able to buy/rent dubbed versions of media content outside of English speaking countries. That's worse than DVD and even the greatest picture quality in the world can't make up for that.

jmdajr

Makes me wonder why MS even bothered with that HD-DVD drive.
They obviously don't give a fuck about it.

Thanks for your views Bill, but the broadband speed in the United States is shit for HD content that can match the physical media.

andycapps

WrikaWrek said:
Bourne ultimatum sold 5.7 million copies on DVD is 6 days+-. 6 freaking days.

It's going take a long ass time for the HD format to actually become the new DVD, the casuals aren't used to HD, so they don't notice the difference from DVD to HD (that's what i get from experiences with my GF and parents and friends). When HD becomes mainstream, you know when the main T.V channels adopt the HD as a standard and people start buying HD panels for their HD capabilities and not for their size (which happens alot...unfortunately), then we will start seeing some true changes

It will take a while, but hopefully this format war will be over sooner than later. Once there is only one format being pushed as the HD format, I think you'll see more people taking the plunge. Right now it's all too confusing for today's consumers. Most people that I know are still asking, what's HD-DVD or Blu-ray? They think the names are synonymous. But there is hope, when I go to Wal-mart and walk through the electronics area I always see a shelf in the middle of the aisle with HDTV's on both sides that are definitely attracting attention. Once people make the plunge to HDTV and start watching cable HD, then they watch DVD's or SDTV, I think they'll start converting over to Blu-ray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom