• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kittonwy

Banned
avaya said:

Michael Bay is awesome.
Indifferent2.gif

deepbrown

forgeforsaken said:
Cause they sure nailed keeping the Walkman as the default portable music device and didn't let some other player get into the portable music field with digital.
Oh aren't you clever. Look at the other 40 years of history. They created CD's, SACD's, DVD's, Video Cassettes, Floppy Discs....I could go on.

steve

Banned
Micael Bay continues to impress me. The fact is, the man knows his shiat.

I can't wait for the inevitable Transformers SE on BD. :D

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
steve said:
Micael Bay continues to impress me. The fact is, the man knows his shiat.

I can't wait for the inevitable Transformers SE on BD. :D

I freaking hope so that is one of them movies I want on teh Blue-rayz!

avaya said:
Michael Bay is a...:lol

Michael Bay:
I know the look, color, and sounds on my own movies better they anyone in the world. I color-time every single image, and am there for every single audio tweak. I see my films in the editing and final process no less then a 100 times. I know ever single nuance. For some dick wads on these posts who think I can't make an informed choice on what format in the end, has the truer results for my own films. Well you where to shove.... My films finished in Blu-Ray are better - more true. Hd is better than DVD, but just not as good as Blu-Ray. So buying a Transformers Hd is still the best you will see this movie as of today. But when Paramount caves for Blu-Ray in the future - This will happen, then you will see Transformers one day finished in Blu-Ray and I will sure be able to tell the difference.

Bay

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10195#post10195
Is that really him? :lol Bravo Bay "superior" Transform version incoming :D

cedric69

deepbrown said:
Oh aren't you clever. Look at the other 40 years of history. They created CD's, SACD's, DVD's, Video Cassettes, Floppy Discs....I could go on.
:lol DVDs??? Video cassettes??? WTF are you talking about?

B-Ri

Eteric Rice said:
$499 is a whole lot different than $599, right?
yes it is, its a whole $100 dollars difference. With HDMI still a standard, HDD still a STANDARD.

But I'm no different than those who won't buy a Wii because of waggle, or those who won't buy a 360 because it's from MS. I'll probably get one down the road, but it won't be until I'm sure they're put back in their place.

its good that you realize that. Personally the only reason i held off on buying a 360 was its hardware failure.

then i was sold on mass effect since E3, i bought one, loved gears of war, then had an RROD before the release of mass effect. I should have waited longer for the falcons, which seem to be more reliable and not sound like a jet engine.

I'm fine with my Wii. Only part I dislike is the constant mini-games and friends codes.

you got a LONG road ahead of you then hun

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Fatghost said:
Dark Knight bluray will be fucking stellar.

Dude just thinking about that and I will cry more! hopefully they will bring out the first 2 Batmans too I would love that. AND The Matrix!

Rolf NB

trinest said:
Blu-Ray or HD-DVD isn't going to win. We are now at a stage were digital distrobution is going good and gold.
There are up to 50GB worth of data on a Blu-ray movie disc. You can spend an entire weekend downloading one.

(55 hours 33 minutes of pegging a 2MBit/s DSL line)

Eteric Rice

B-Ri said:
yes it is, its a whole $100 dollars difference. With HDMI still a standard, HDD still a STANDARD.

its good that you realize that. Personally the only reason i held off on buying a 360 was its hardware failure.

then i was sold on mass effect since E3, i bought one, loved gears of war, then had an RROD before the release of mass effect. I should have waited longer for the falcons, which seem to be more reliable and not sound like a jet engine.

you got a LONG road ahead of you then hun

Friends codes aren't going anywhere, but hopefully the mini-game deal slows down soon. There are quite a few non-minigame games coming out that I'll get, so purchase is justified.

deepbrown

cedric69 said:
:lol DVDs??? Video cassettes??? WTF are you talking about?
YES DVD's

"In the early 1990s two high-density optical storage standards were being developed: one was the MultiMedia Compact Disc (MMCD), backed by Philips and Sony, and the other was the Super Density disc (SD), supported by Toshiba and many others. Philips and Sony abandoned their MMCD format and agreed upon Toshiba's SD format with only one modification based on MMCD technology, viz EFMPlus. The unified disc format was called DVD which was marketed in 1997."

YES Videocassettes. Remember fucking Betamax? Though they apparenlty lost this against VHS video cassettes - they got much more out of it than you can imagine:

"As consumers, we see Beta and it’s relatives as a failure, but in reality tape cassettes put more Money in Sony’s bank (in general, including audio Walkmans and PCM audio technology) than anything else they’ve invented, including the first Transistor Radio."

bababa

birdman said:
:lol :lol

It amazes me that people still say that. This isn't like downloading a song off of iTunes. We're talking about gigabytes worth of information to download, and not everybody's got fiber optics running to their house.

Not to mention that many people would have absolutely no clue how to download movies, about movie formats, how to view their downloaded movies, etc. Technical knowledge in consumers is probably one of the biggest blocks in the way of digital downloads taking over. It will always be easier to just buy a disc, or a tape, or a cube, whatever. Not that physical copies won't become obsolete eventually, but it probably isn't happening anytime soon.

B-Ri

Eteric Rice said:
Friends codes aren't going anywhere, but hopefully the mini-game deal slows down soon. There are quite a few non-minigame games coming out that I'll get, so purchase is justified.

they wont so long as people continue to buy them, and sadly people continue to buy them. SSBB is the last thing ihave to look forward to on our wii.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Digital distribution isn't going anywhere till we get Dsl or cable that is fucking fast and I mean 100Mbps or even faster.

Eteric Rice

B-Ri said:
they wont so long as people continue to buy them, and sadly people continue to buy them. SSBB is the last thing ihave to look forward to on our wii.

No Fragile, King Story, FFCC, etc? I'm looking forward to those, as well as Brawl.

Raistlin

Elbrain said:
Digital distribution isn't going anywhere till we get Dsl or cable that is fucking fast and I mean 100Mbps or even faster.

Not to mention affordable and extremely easy to use (movie player-level) TerraByte(s) set-top boxes that are designed to directly be used with content providers.

B-Ri

Eteric Rice said:
No Fragile, King Story, FFCC, etc? I'm looking forward to those, as well as Brawl.

fragile: interesting but id need to see more footage on it, same thign with King Story. Im not sold yet.

FFCC? nah. I seem to have more luck with the main series then its spin offs and branch offs.

2008 for me is the year of the PS3. There is a LOT im looking forward to.

Raistlin

Zabka said:
The floppy disc was invented by IBM. Phillips and Sony were working on their own disc format before dropping it to join the DVD consortium.

He's referring to the 3.5" floppy (the one still on PC's). That's a Sony owned IP.

As for DVD ... he directly stated what happened there.

inner-G

Banned
Elbrain said:
True indeed.

File sizes will exponentially grow with higher bitrates. The difference between a 2GB HD movie and a 20GB one is very noticeable, not to mention things like bonus features and better audio.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Onix said:
Not to mention affordable and extremely easy to use (movie player-level) TerraByte(s) set-top boxes that are designed to directly be used with content providers.

Yep yep people don't get when they say stuff like nah disc are dead its all about the digital stuff try downloading 2gis at full 3mbps it takes a couple of hours maybe a little bit more. Now think about 15 - 30 gigs and up, fuck that I would rather buy the damn disk till not only 100mbps is cheap as 3mbps dsl or faster type stuff.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Fatghost said:
Dark Knight bluray will be fucking stellar.

I approve this post.

Elbrain said:

FiOS, but that is a long way before it is everywhere.

Eteric Rice

B-Ri said:
fragile: interesting but id need to see more footage on it, same thign with King Story. Im not sold yet.

FFCC? nah. I seem to have more luck with the main series then its spin offs and branch offs.

2008 for me is the year of the PS3. There is a LOT im looking forward to.

*shrugs*

Lots of stuff I want. It just comes down to tastes I guess.

deepbrown

Zabka said:
The floppy disc was invented by IBM. Phillips and Sony were working on their own disc format before dropping it to join the DVD consortium.
I'm well aware of that:

"In the early 1990s two high-density optical storage standards were being developed: one was the MultiMedia Compact Disc (MMCD), backed by Philips and Sony, and the other was the Super Density disc (SD), supported by Toshiba and many others. Philips and Sony abandoned their MMCD format and agreed upon Toshiba's SD format with only one modification based on MMCD technology, viz EFMPlus. The unified disc format was called DVD which was marketed in 1997."

Plus 3.5'' inch floppy was Sony

"In 1983 Sony introduced 90mm micro diskettes (better known as 3.5-inch floppy disks), which it had developed at a time when there were 4" floppy disks and a lot of variations from different companies to replace the then on-going 5.25" floppy disks. Sony had great success and the format became dominant"

Zabka

Onix said:
He's referring to the 3.5" floppy (the one still on PC's). That's a Sony owned IP.

He said floppy disk. The floppy disk was invented by IBM.

And he might have stated what happened with DVD, but that just proves my point. Sony was working on a rival format and dropped it. Sony did not create DVD.

His post was incorrect. I corrected him.

deepbrown

Onix said:

Thank you. My point is Sony is at the forfront for every single move, always ahead of the game creating a quality product before we've even thought about. Whether they win in the long run is another matter, but generally they are involved until the last minute and actually profit whether they win or lose. There aren't many other companies that are involved in so many formats as Sony has.

deepbrown

Zabka said:

And he might have stated what happened with DVD, but that just proves my point. Sony was working on a rival format and dropped it. Sony did not create DVD.

"In 1983 Sony introduced 90mm micro diskettes (better known as 3.5-inch floppy disks)"

Don't be so pedantic.

SD was Toshiba, MMCD was Sony - Sony dropped MMCD only if SD was reformed - DVD is born. Sony was involved in DVD.

steve

Banned
I really enjoy having this thread here to be honest. As a PS3 owner that is highly interested in watching films on it, I'm not always interested in jumping over to the OT to talk movies. I'm enjoying having this here, I hope it stays as a sort of OT of sorts.

Anyways, I'd never heard anything about that Sunshine movie, that sounds sweet, I'll add that to my list of must-get BD's.

B-Ri

steve said:
I really enjoy having this thread here to be honest. As a PS3 owner that is highly interested in watching films on it, I'm not always interested in jumping over to the OT to talk movies. I'm enjoying having this here, I hope it stays as a sort of OT of sorts.

Anyways, I'd never heard anything about that Sunshine movie, that sounds sweet, I'll add that to my list of must-get BD's.

i saw it in theaters (it was a limited release) great great film, another film that in my eyes is the reason we need an HD format.

Zabka

deepbrown said:
"In 1983 Sony introduced 90mm micro diskettes (better known as 3.5-inch floppy disks)"

Don't be so pedantic.

SD was Toshiba, MMCD was Sony - Sony dropped MMCD only if SD was reformed - DVD is born. Sony was involved in DVD.
I'm not being pedantic, I am simply correcting you. Sony did not create DVDs or floppy disks.

Sony was involved with DVD along with a dozen other companies, and only after they realized they were set up to be on the losing end of another format war.

Philips and Sony abandoned their MultiMedia Compact Disc and fully agreed upon Toshiba's SuperDensity Disc with only one modification, namely changing to EFMPlus modulation.
Not exactly being at the forefront of its development there.

3.5" floppies are great, but they came along more than 10 years after IBM created the first floppy disk.

I think you should just settle down.

Raistlin

Zabka said:

If you correcting him ... that's fine.

If however, you are implying something by those statements ... I'd LOVE to hear what you are trying to say.

deepbrown

Zabka said:
I'm not being pedantic, I am simply correcting you. Sony did not create DVDs or floppy disks.

Sony was involved with DVD along with a dozen other companies, and only after they realized they were set up to be on the losing end of another format war.

Not exactly being at the forefront of its development there.

3.5" floppies are great, but they came along more than 10 years after IBM created the first floppy disk.

I think you should just settle down.
Did you even know what my point was?

I'll let you know what it was, since these other guys seem to be being incredibly harsh to you.

My response was to a guy saying it's not the time for HD-DVD and Blu-ray, but digital distribution. I said that Sony has been in this game far too long, understanding the trends and being involved with every trend before it had begun.

Thus, if they are going with a format, they have the experience to understand that now is the time for it - when digital distribution is going to be the standard - Sony will be right at the front as they always are.

tha_con

Banned
Zabka said:

Yea! Who wants big bad Sony to get any credit for jointly working together with Toshiba to develop DVD (since Toshiba wasn't developing DVD, they had another format as well).

Big Bad Sony and their big bad business practices. RAWR at them :(

[/sarcasm]

Raistlin

Zabka,

The fact that Sony/Phillips created the optical disk / optical drive must just eat you up inside ...

... doesn't it?

Zabka

Onix said:
Zabka,

The fact that Sony/Phillips created the optical disk / optical drive must just eat you up inside ...

... doesn't it?
You people are mental. And this is incorrect information as well.

David Paul Gregg first envisioned the optical disk (or VIDEODISK as he named it) in 1958 and patented the technology in 1961 and 1969. Gregg's company Gauss Electrophysics was acquired by MCA in the early 1960s. MCA also bought the patent rights for the optical disk which included a the process for making a video record disc and other optical disk technology. In 1978, MCA Discovision released the first consumer Optical disk player in Atlanta, Georgia.

Whenever Paramount does come back to BR, Sony really needs to let Bay speak at the next conference they have. That is going to be epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom