• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Vita |OT| 870 gajillion guns in your pockets

I'm really enjoying it. I picked it up on PS3 last year during summer to play with my friend (she was SUPER high levelled though, so when we were doing my campaign missions it felt like I was just along for the ride, as she'd be shooting through bosses in a few hits) but never really got into it. I then got it again on PS3 via PS+ and didn't touch it, but I thought since I'd just bought myself a Vita 2000 (I already have a 1000 but the increased battery life really spoke to me), I'd pick this up to go with it.

And it's great. I feel like it suits the Vita much more. I have real trouble grinding in non-portable games, and this seems like a pretty grindy game so it's suited imo. Controls aren't terrible, there's a bit of an issue with sprint/melee but other than that it feels really good. I don't like that it doesn't seem to render bullets all the time (which makes it difficult to aim), but other than that, it's great. Only seen one severe framerate drop and that was when there was a lot going on on screen.

I wonder why they went for native res, though. If they could've achieved a smoother framerate at a lower res I feel like that may have been preferable. Although the art-style might then look horrific.

If you create a Gaige or Krieg on Vita and don't have them on PS3, you won't be able to use them.
If you enter a DLC campaign area on the Vita you can still use your character on the PS3, but any itens exclusive to that DLC won't be usable there.
I don't know what happens if you take a character level 51+ to the PS3 without the level cap DLC.

Then again, if you don't want to use the DLCs at first, you might as well not download them and keep that memory card space.
Thanks for the info. I prefer sniping in my games, so I went with Zero for my first run through. Haven't got a sniper rifle yet, but I know I'm close to acquiring one. I don't even really know what the DLC packs are, I need to read this thread or do a little wiki reading to figure it out. Card space for me isn't too bad for now, I could dl them all, but since I have no clue to what they are/do, and with the amount of fun I am having now, I'll pass until I feel I need them. But thanks for the input, most appreciated!
So glad to hear you're enjoying it! The rest of us Vita BL2 fans are echoing your sentiments.
Oh yea, thanks! It's really grabbed me where the sun don't shine. My lunch break literally FLEW by because I was just having too much fun being swarmed by mobs and checking out ma new loot. I also am very impressed that it is one of the few Vita titles I can play in my car (so the audio goes through my car speakers), outside on a sunny day, and still see everything pretty dang clearly. Certain games just turn to a dark indecipherable mess...but this game still plays very very well. It's the little things that keep surprising me :D

TUSR

Banned
So I just fired up this game finally, why did they map Triangle as switch weapon when the D pad already does that?

So I just fired up this game finally, why did they map Triangle as switch weapon when the D pad already does that?

I remapped my weapon change to the bottom right touchscreen.
I made triangle the grenade toss

Changed a bunch of other stuff but I can't think of what else at the moment

Omerta

Oh wait I can change these?

Totally. It drastically improves the game, in my opinion.

From the start menu in game, go to options-controls-controls preset-custom... You can swap any input with any other input.

Personally, I use triangle for sprint and circle for melee but I have accidentally grenaded myself a few times so I might experiment a little more.

SirNinja

Oh wait I can change these?

Can and should. With the default control mapping, it's very easy to accidentally throw a grenade if you so much as touch a tiny portion of the lower screen. There are some preset control configurations, but you can also make a custom one out of any of them.

I have crouch and melee mapped to the left and right back touchpad, respectively. That ensures I won't do anything wasteful and/or dangerous if I accidentally touch the screen. I have grenades on Triangle and sprint on Circle, which works so much better. Plus, that also puts weapon switch on the right front touchscreen, so you can just tap your gun to switch it out.

So how much DLC is actually missing from the game? It came with such a mess of stuff I did not really pay attention.

Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt
Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep (fingers crossed for this one)
The second Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack (raises character level cap to 72 and item level cap to 80)
The five Headhunter packs

There's a little more beyond that, but those are the big ones. I hope most/all of the above DLC makes its way to the Vita version eventually.

Got this on Vita and have been playing the crap out of it. I am getting a kick out of playing at at night when i have the lights of and am laying in bed. To me, it looks great on the OLED. Especially with the lights off.

Slayven

Can and should. With the default control mapping, it's very easy to accidentally throw a grenade if you so much as touch a tiny portion of the lower screen. There are some preset control configurations, but you can also make a custom one out of any of them.

I have crouch and melee mapped to the left and right back touchpad, respectively. That ensures I won't do anything wasteful and/or dangerous if I accidentally touch the screen. I have grenades on Triangle and sprint on Circle, which works so much better. Plus, that also puts weapon switch on the right front touchscreen, so you can just tap your gun to switch it out.

Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt
Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep (fingers crossed for this one)
The second Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack (raises character level cap to 72 and item level cap to 80)
The five Headhunter packs

There's a little more beyond that, but those are the big ones. I hope most/all of the above DLC makes its way to the Vita version eventually.
Haven't the DLC after that been pretty much hated?

BigDug13

Haven't the DLC after that been pretty much hated?

Tiny Tina was the only major one that was done by Gearbox themselves and wasn't outsourced. Its quality shows. Lots of new items, new enemies, new areas, interesting concept which allowed great world manipulation and sudden enemy spawning that didn't feel out of place.

It's the main DLC I'm sad that isn't included in this package.

Just got this at target for 19 bucks after tax. Seems like a decent price for it. It was this or Infamous but I'm open worldeded out after Watch Dogs. Ill get Infamous for 25 from gamefly eventually, doubt this will go on any significant sale anytime soon

Tigress

Just got this at target for 19 bucks after tax. Seems like a decent price for it. It was this or Infamous but I'm open worldeded out after Watch Dogs. Ill get Infamous for 25 from gamefly eventually, doubt this will go on any significant sale anytime soon

Wait, what?! I know I saw an article about Target selling it for 30 bux today but it's already down to half price (less than that?).

Can't be doing too good if Target already is trying to get rid of it *sigh*.

Wait, what?! I know I saw an article about Target selling it for 30 bux today but it's already down to half price (less than that?).

Can't be doing too good if Target already is trying to get rid of it *sigh*.

Nope all vita games on sale for 20% off at target, then buy a preorder card and get 15 dollars off any game 39.99 and up. YMMV

Tigress

Nope all vita games on sale for 20% off at target, then buy a preorder card and get 15 dollars off any game 39.99 and up. YMMV

Ah, that makes me feel a lot better. And a little disappointed I didn't manage to get that deal (but I had to go buy day one. It's one of my two day one purchases this year, the other being Freedom Wars. Just watched some one's walkthrough of the demo and now I'm even more impatient for that game). Hey, does that pre order card deal work on the game you are pre ordering? (I Know, probably not and that is if Target even has pre orders for Freedom Wars)

Ah, that makes me feel a lot better. And a little disappointed I didn't manage to get that deal (but I had to go buy day one. It's one of my two day one purchases this year, the other being Freedom Wars. Just watched some one's walkthrough of the demo and now I'm even more impatient for that game). Hey, does that pre order card deal work on the game you are pre ordering? (I Know, probably not and that is if Target even has pre orders for Freedom Wars)

Unfortunately no. Works for any game out already 39.99 and up though.

I can't stop playing this game. I am very addicted to it...the amazing portability is the main reason. Anytime I want, I'm instantly back in the action..I'm like 1 story mission after I get to Sanctuary for the first time, but I am exploring a good deal. I have two pink/purple weapons, both way OP. One is a pistol with infinite ammo. Amazing! Screw any other pistols for a while, unlimited ammo, and unlimited clip! No reload at all, just a hail of bullets. I really like using the sniper rifles, also, due to the awesome gyro aiming.

krioto

This game is really fantastic - I'm up to Sanctuary after saving
Roland
and am doing some side missions.

It's stopping me playing Watch Dogs and Child of Light - so many guns!!!

One question - when can you access the DLC missions, and where do you go to start them?
I'm level 17.

Raptomex

So how is this? I've been tempted because it's Borderlands mobile. However, I've heard some bad things. I already have the PC version but having it on the go would be cool, too I suppose.

So how is this? I've been tempted because it's Borderlands mobile. However, I've heard some bad things. I already have the PC version but having it on the go would be cool, too I suppose.

Played a total of 9 hours on PS3 and I've had it since Black Friday 2012...just bought the vita version (you can see whatever date that was up a couple of post) and have already played 4 hours. Its great, you have to be able to accept a non 100% technically great port but the portability of it really saves it for me. And seeing as the PS3 version was kinda janky imo too this is just amazing to me how competent this port is.

This isn't going to make your life change but I wholeheartedly am enjoying this version more than ever did on PS3 and this is coming from somebody who beat Borderlands 1 on PS3.

Here's a tip, get it at Target: My final price was 19 dollars for the physical copy.
Game is 39, on sale for 31, buy a pre-order card in the same transaction for a dollar (preorder anything honestly) and that takes 15 dollars off the price. Before tax price should be 17.99. This is US of course.

Check Cheap Ass Gamer Forums (Sub Forum of Video game deals:Target Ad 6/8 - 6/14 or I think a specific thread for the 15 dollars off at target I think for more details and to make sure the deal is still working.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.

Spent $30 for digital copy week early, 10 or more hours in, and I'm loving it besides when the framerate drops down at specific ports and sancutary(although there's no battles or anything in there so it doesn't matter). Great port imo and there's a big performance patch supposed to arrive next week according to Gio.

Just so you have a second person's impressions, I agree with the above that it's a blast. If you go into it ready to give it shit for its technical imperfections (every reviewer) then you won't have a good time. But if you can get past that kind of thing you'll enjoy it. The game is absolutely massive and just a fun game within itself. Got me hooked on the Borderlands franchise going forward. I even downloaded the first game and BL2 on PC but BL2 on Vita is my preferred version just because of that extra vita magic.

The fact that there's a performance patch coming next week is awesome! The game can only get better.

I'm really hoping the Vita gets the pre-sequel down the line but that feels too good to be true.

Tigress

I have no idea how many hours I've put in it. I can tell you sometimes I'll game for like three hours in a sitting in this game and it's awesome. I finally had my first crash that really annoyed me last night (I've had the occasional crash but usually it's not anywhere I lose much progress). Nearing the end of one of the main quests and it crashed and I had to run through the whole area again. Then it crashed when I won right before I was going to get loot (luckily it wasn't loot I was interested in except to sell. Apparently in the wildlife sanctuary area it really hates going into your menu cause both times it crashed when i went into the character menu).

I love this game

Put about 12+ hours into it with no crashes at all.
Right now I'm at an elongated quest tree and slammed with work so I haven't had time to play it much this week.

Pretty excited for the upcoming patch, honestly as I'm having a blast with this.
Gibbing enemies is pretty satisfying.

Has anyone heard if Iron Galaxy is going to release another performance patch? I feel the game still needs some work especially when I'm playing coop. When I play by myself it seems to run okay most of the time.

rschauby

Banned
Has anyone heard if Iron Galaxy is going to release another performance patch? I feel the game still needs some work especially when I'm playing coop. When I play by myself it seems to run okay most of the time.

Iron Galaxy just tweeted yesterday that a performance & bug patch should release next week.

Iron Galaxy just tweeted yesterday that a performance & bug patch should release next week.
Awwww yissss. Will make the game*that* much more awesome. I already can't stop playing it, waking it up even when I only have 30 seconds to play...I'm hopelessly addicted to it. Currently level 14, doing a job for
flame raider guy
I can't remember the name of,
taking Match Stick to the Dragon Ship to burn him
. I put it to sleep roughly 20 ft from the objective marker. Using Zero, and some killer guns (duh). Recently found some golden key codes, so I have a bunch now, and used a few to get a couple cool guns, looking forard to using more at much higher levels. Pretty certain I might be scoping out Target for that crazy deal so I can free up space, and support the devs proper.

Awwww yissss. Will make the game*that* much more awesome. I already can't stop playing it, waking it up even when I only have 30 seconds to play...I'm hopelessly addicted to it. Currently level 14, doing a job for
flame raider guy
I can't remember the name of,
taking Match Stick to the Dragon Ship to burn him
. I put it to sleep roughly 20 ft from the objective marker. Using Zero, and some killer guns (duh). Recently found some golden key codes, so I have a bunch now, and used a few to get a couple cool guns, looking forard to using more at much higher levels. Pretty certain I might be scoping out Target for that crazy deal so I can free up space, and support the devs proper.

Dude, add me on PSN if you haven't already: JakeNoseIt
I'm a little more than 10 levels higher than you so if I ever see you on I would love to jump in and help out. I need more BL2 players on my friends list!
(PS - Not big on talking lol, taking a cue from Colin Moriarty)

esterk

This has probably been answered but can I play on vita and join a session hosted by someone playing on ps3 and vice versa?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Did they cut some missions from the game? I am not getting any missions from that cyborg dude in the beginning.

I think you have to do a certain quest outside of the town before you get his missions. If I remember correctly, it's the one where you have to take the lift up. Can't remember what it's called. First building on the left once you've left through the main gates.

Dude, add me on PSN if you haven't already: JakeNoseIt
I'm a little more than 10 levels higher than you so if I ever see you on I would love to jump in and help out. I need more BL2 players on my friends list!
(PS - Not big on talking lol, taking a cue from Colin Moriarty)
Sure thing. I'd prefer to be of a higher level, though, because I'm not that big of a fan of inviting Superman to ccome in and wreck house while I sit back on my laurels ;D

FR Sent though! For anyone else too, please feel free to add. PSN BaronVonBeans, please mention gaf in some facet. I get a bunch of random requests -_-

Anyone know if the community day 2013 skins work on the Vita version? I got them for PC last year, and would like to add them to the Vita version (still have to see if Shift generates a PSN code).

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Ok...so after being fiercely critical of this game in this here thread I've gone back to give it another try, with lowered expectations. And I'm not hating it. The framerate not been an issue yet... I'm still in Liars Berg though. Could this be my Damascene moment? Who knows? Who cares?

Tigress

Ok...so after being fiercely critical of this game in this here thread I've gone back to give it another try, with lowered expectations. And I'm not hating it. The framerate not been an issue yet... I'm still in Liars Berg though. Could this be my Damascene moment? Who knows? Who cares?

Maybe your expectations have been lowered so it's not so bad. I will say it seems to slowly be running worse the longer I play it. Still enjoyable but I'm more understanding the complaints (not as bad as Fallout yet though <- if it does I probably will still like it but if it was as bad as Fallout I'd say I could understand the bad ratings on it due to technical issues. But I still loved Fallout despite the fact it was a buggy/laggy mess. Make a game good enough in other aspects I admit I can overlook a lot in how well it runs). Luckily it's not degrading as fast as Fallout did (fallout got worse the longer you played it).

Honestly, sometimes i find I enjoy things I loved before a lot less the second time around cause I had higher expectations of it and build it too high in my mind. And things I really didn't expect to like I loved (Independance Day was a big one for that, my dad dragged me to it. Everyone hated it it seemed, I enjoyed it while wondering what the hell everyone expected cause it was what I expected but what I didn't expect was to actually be entertained. In fact it was a little better than what I expected <- I had really low expectations of it).

(Yeah, Fallout is kind of my standard... if it runs the same as fallout, that is at the level of doable but definitely deserves to be panned for it. I loved Fallout despite the fact it ran like crap).

Foshy

I've never cared much about this franchise, but I'm enjoying the Destiny Alpha a lot right now. Having something similar on Vita would be great, how does Borderlands 2 compare to Destiny for you guys that played both?

(Yeah, Fallout is kind of my standard... if it runs the same as fallout, that is at the level of doable but definitely deserves to be panned for it. I loved Fallout despite the fact it ran like crap).
Well, you bring up something interesting. The entire time I've been playing it, I have also been comparing it to Fallout 3. That game (FO3) was a jank fest to the max, and I loved every second of it. BL2 is the first BL game I've played, and to me, I almost see it as a cel shaded Fallout game with almost no large buildings with interiors that take 3+ hours to fully clear. That being said, I have yet to see anything in this game that is trully "horrificly janky". Yes, I see the frame stutters, skips, and slowdowns. Big deal. I essentially have Fallout 3 on my Vita (in terms of scope and size, not in content, name, dev & more :p). This game is a massive undertaking, and the more I play it, the more impressed I get with all the work Iron Galaxy did. It is sad to hear it suffers the same Fallout curse of getting worse as you play it, but I am faaaar from being anywhere close to midgame I think. I dunno though. By the time I'll be close to endgame, that patch should be out already, and we shall see exactly what that does for everyone.

Top Bottom