• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Vita |OT| 870 gajillion guns in your pockets

SirNinja

Haven't played this in a few days. Noticed there's a new patch out (v1.03), but it doesn't seem to have changed much. Is there a changelog somewhere?

Omerta

Patch questions...

Patchtions...

Is there a way to check which build I'm running? How can I check if there is a new patch available?

Thanks in anticipation, Borderlandians.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Heh, maybe that's why I wonder why people keep acting like it runs like crap. It runs great in my opinion. Of course the games i put the most hours in recently are both Fallouts and Skyrim (all on the PS3, the worst platform for it) so maybe my point of reference is just skewed ;).

Then again, I think people are super picky. Was just reading on that tweet some one just linked a guy claiming the framerate was so bad he was getting motion sick... He must not be able to play a lot of games if that makes him motion sick.

I wish I was being super picky!

I think it's sub-standard and a rush job. The performance issues do impact the gameplay - getting stuck on backgrounds necessitating a restart, enemies not taking damage when shot, the cap on enemies making firefights sparse and uninvolved and the frame rate reducing to such a level that in combat situations it's easy to 'oversteer '.

I'm glad people are enjoying it but I think it takes a substantial leap of faith on the player's part to make this anything other than a pretty crappy port.

incpdo

why people is so picky with this game? i mean its not fair to compare a portable game with its counterpart of PC . The game runs great and it is very funny to play.

I never played Borderlands and i really like it. There are some crappy ports on Vita , but this is not one of them.
It has a few issues with framerates but that doesnt take the immersion away of my experience. there are things to improve yes but with the next patch it should be good. Graphics wise , the original game doesnt have impressive graphics for me , cel shaded and colored polygons are great on vita and i thinks is a good election as a portable game.The game is HUGHE and it has every little thing plus is portable.

omg_mjd

Just finished a playthrough of the game on my PC. Gotta admit I hated it at first but all the love in this thread made me curious enough to start a new character and give the game another chance and it was a lot of fun. The story really gets going after you reach Sanctuary, which is where I quit the last time. Going to dive into True Vault Hunter Mode next and the DLC that came with the season pass.

I'll be picking up the Vita port for sure when it goes on sale. Hopefully whatever performance issues there are should be fixed by then.

snap0212

I've played a couple of hours of this and am quite happy with how the game turned out. I'm happy with the graphics and while the frame rate could be better at times, I'm still at awe that something like this even exists on the Vita. Those were the games I was hoping for when they announced the Vita.

Though I've died a couple of times because I accidentally threw a grenade and killed myself. :D

Bittercup

Patch questions...

Patchtions...

Is there a way to check which build I'm running? How can I check if there is a new patch available?

Thanks in anticipation, Borderlandians.
I don't have Borderlands 2 yet (not enough space :/) but usually you can check your version number by pressing for a moment on an empty space on the touch pad to enter edit mode, click on the '...' next to the game. There you can select 'Information' which usually tells the version number and 'Update History' for patch notes if the developers released them.

To check if there is a new patch, if you don't get a notification automatically: Start the launcher of the game (the screen just before you start the actual game) and click on the circle made out of two arrows on top of the screen. This refreshes the start screen and if there is a patch the icon to download a patch should pop up to the left.

Tigress

I think it's sub-standard and a rush job. The performance issues do impact the gameplay - getting stuck on backgrounds necessitating a restart, enemies not taking damage when shot, the cap on enemies making firefights sparse and uninvolved and the frame rate reducing to such a level that in combat situations it's easy to 'oversteer '.

I'm glad people are enjoying it but I think it takes a substantial leap of faith on the player's part to make this anything other than a pretty crappy port.

Whether it is a good port or not, I would say any problems more are because they are asking the Vita to do a lot vs it being a rush job. Sometimes you gotta realize you can only do so much with something.

I haven't had near the issues you talk about. I've had to restart the game maybe 3 or 4 times (most of those were crashes). Only once was it cause I got stuck (a loot creature fell on me and got my character stuck). And if you knew how much I'd been playing it, that's not all that often (hours each day honestly. I've taken to plugging my Vita in cause i tend to run out of battery some days).

I noticed the enemies not getting shot thing early in the game but only during the fight with Captain Flint (I haven't seen it since) and only one time. Ever since I've not seen that happen.

As for your complaint about the fights feeling sparse... um, what? I have had plenty of times where I feel very surrounded and have actually wondered cause it felt like it was definitely more than 4 enemies even though they claim they will only show 4 at a time. I think it loads the next enemy after you kill one quick enough that you still get plenty of enemies after you. I really really don't get your complaint on that (sorry, on that one I really think you're out there as that has totally not been my experience).

BigDug13

If you're over steering then you haven't adjusted your controller sensitivity. The default makes turning a slideshow and makes aiming nearly impossible. Set it to 5 or maybe even 4 down from its default 6 and the game becomes much more fun and aiming is no longer so difficult.

Omerta

I don't have Borderlands 2 yet (not enough space :/) but usually you can check your version number by pressing for a moment on an empty space on the touch pad to enter edit mode, click on the '...' next to the game. There you can select 'Information' which usually tells the version number and 'Update History' for patch notes if the developers released them.

To check if there is a new patch, if you don't get a notification automatically: Start the launcher of the game (the screen just before you start the actual game) and click on the circle made out of two arrows on top of the screen. This refreshes the start screen and if there is a patch the icon to download a patch should pop up to the left.

Thank you sir!

Ristlager

First: Amazing game to have on my Vita, I don't know what the reviewers where smoking.

Second: I think I have encountered a weird bug, where I just lose one of my weapons, it does not get replaced, it just dissapears from my chosen weapons, and is not in my backpack. Anyone else this has happened to?

maouvin

Second: I think I have encountered a weird bug, where I just lose one of my weapons, it does not get replaced, it just dissapears from my chosen weapons, and is not in my backpack. Anyone else this has happened to?

You either:

- accidently marked it as "junk" (a red "x" will show up on the weapon) and pressed the "sell all junk items" on a shop;
- unequipped it and changed the sorting of your inventory, so it wouldn't show up your carried guns;
- held the button when picking a weapon in the ground while your backpack was full. This would auto-equip the picked up weapon and toss the one you were using.

edit: I didn't specify what buttons you could have pressed since I changed my button mapping, but I believe that to mark something as junk/favourite you need to press crouch, to sort might be the weapon swap, and the pick-up one is exactly what is.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
why people is so picky with this game? i mean its not fair to compare a portable game with its counterpart of PC . The game runs great and it is very funny to play.

I never played Borderlands and i really like it. There are some crappy ports on Vita , but this is not one of them.
It has a few issues with framerates but that doesnt take the immersion away of my experience. there are things to improve yes but with the next patch it should be good. Graphics wise , the original game doesnt have impressive graphics for me , cel shaded and colored polygons are great on vita and i thinks is a good election as a portable game.The game is HUGHE and it has every little thing plus is portable.

I wouldn't say I'm being picky. I think it's reasonable to expect slightly better.

Whether it is a good port or not, I would say any problems more are because they are asking the Vita to do a lot vs it being a rush job. Sometimes you gotta realize you can only do so much with something.

I haven't had near the issues you talk about. I've had to restart the game maybe 3 or 4 times (most of those were crashes). Only once was it cause I got stuck (a loot creature fell on me and got my character stuck). And if you knew how much I'd been playing it, that's not all that often (hours each day honestly. I've taken to plugging my Vita in cause i tend to run out of battery some days).

I noticed the enemies not getting shot thing early in the game but only during the fight with Captain Flint (I haven't seen it since) and only one time. Ever since I've not seen that happen.

As for your complaint about the fights feeling sparse... um, what? I have had plenty of times where I feel very surrounded and have actually wondered cause it felt like it was definitely more than 4 enemies even though they claim they will only show 4 at a time. I think it loads the next enemy after you kill one quick enough that you still get plenty of enemies after you. I really really don't get your complaint on that (sorry, on that one I really think you're out there as that has totally not been my experience).

Our experiences might not be the same, but that's natural. I'm glad you're enjoying it. I wish I was but I agree with the reviewers on this one- I really think it's a pile of poop, at least for now.

If you're over steering then you haven't adjusted your controller sensitivity. The default makes turning a slideshow and makes aiming nearly impossible. Set it to 5 or maybe even 4 down from its default 6 and the game becomes much more fun and aiming is no longer so difficult.

I've tried that. I've also tried remapping the controls and using flight mode. I think it's a very hastily put together, shonky and I'll-thought out product. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect slightly more, especially in light of other Vita games.

I love my Vita (I have two) and I think it has a great library of games, but to me this - so far - ranks alongside Resistance as being a rush job that another six months would have really made special. My honest recommendation to anyone thinking of this would be to be cautious and wait until a patch. I'm just disappointed it feels so rough.

I'm not being 'ad hominem ' here - I'm glad that you all seem to be having a great time with it, I just don't share your positive opinion of it at all.

Ohnonono

Played the assassinate the assassins mission last night with my... Gearomancer person... whatever, the chick with the robot. Had lots of fun. I find this game pretty challenging but as I am getting the hang of the guns and stuff helps. A giant robot tank helps a lot too. So far no crashes, framrate has been fine to a lil low sometimes. Fun so far.

Vashetti

Banned
Got my physical copy.

It won't patch beyond version 1.01. I'm in the UK. Have the later patches been released outside the US?

Disguises

On one hand the framerate and just general 'judder' and slowdown really hurts the game but on the other hand... It's a freaking portable Borderlands 2 I can play on the train.

I'm enjoying it and am very much looking forward to seeing the performance patches.

Human_me

Played my copy for a hour or so.
Graphics are truely amazing on the vita, it really does look amazing on it.

However the frame-rate is bit patchy
Personally I would of happy traded graphics for a better framerate.
Heres hoping a patch will come along and fix performance!
Its not going to happen.

Omerta

I wouldn't say I'm being picky. I think it's reasonable to expect slightly better.

Our experiences might not be the same, but that's natural. I'm glad you're enjoying it. I wish I was but I agree with the reviewers on this one- I really think it's a pile of poop, at least for now.

I've tried that. I've also tried remapping the controls and using flight mode. I think it's a very hastily put together, shonky and I'll-thought out product. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect slightly more, especially in light of other Vita games.

I love my Vita (I have two) and I think it has a great library of games, but to me this - so far - ranks alongside Resistance as being a rush job that another six months would have really made special. My honest recommendation to anyone thinking of this would be to be cautious and wait until a patch. I'm just disappointed it feels so rough.

I'm not being 'ad hominem ' here - I'm glad that you all seem to be having a great time with it, I just don't share your positive opinion of it at all.

Mature response... See people; it's ok for people to have different opinions :)

Personally, I fall into the other camp. I've had a few frame rate drops but nothing out of place in an open world game.

I'm really enjoying this and I'm hoping that I don't uncover any issues that may alter these initial feelings.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Mature response... See people; it's ok for people to have different opinions :)

Personally, I fall into the other camp. I've had a few frame rate drops but nothing out of place in an open world game.

I'm really enjoying this and I'm hoping that I don't uncover any issues that may alter these initial feelings.

Hurray for pacifism!

I'm hoping that it'll win me over. Enjoying something > moaning about something.

Picked this up yesterday and put about 4 hours into it so far.
Pretty freaking amazing that this game exists on Vita.

Never played Borderlands before so I don't know how it compares to console versions but I'm having a blast with it.

I cannot beat the
Leviathan
as Krieg. His skill is just useless for this boss.

I think I was level 25 when I beat that thing with Axton. Took forever and I was so glad I had the turret to distract everyone while I refueled my shields/health and all that. I figured it must be much more difficult with the other classes :/

maouvin

I think I was level 25 when I beat that thing with Axton. Took forever and I was so glad I had the turret to distract everyone while I refueled my shields/health and all that. I figured it must be much more difficult with the other classes :/

That's a little underleveled, no? Doesn't the DLC quests start at lvl 30?

I originally played as Axton on consoles but wanted something different on Vita, kinda wishing I was still playing as Axton now though.

That's a little underleveled, no? Doesn't the DLC quests start at lvl 30?
Captain Scarlett starts around 15 but I think it scales to your level, too.

Edit: ...I'm stuck on this boss fight until I beat it, aren't I? Fuck. Just tried again and got him down to a third of his health and then I couldn't aim at those weakspots very easily anymore. :/

Omg I did it. I don't even know how, but I did it lol. Krieg's skill is actually useless because it's really hard to melee those worm things, though.

maouvin

Ah, it starts at 15, nice! On PC I played all DLCs only on TVHM, where it scales to your level at the time of the acceptance of the quest. On normal, it should have pre-def levels for each quest.
Guess I'll jump into them before beating the main storyline.

So how much DLC is actually missing from the game? It came with such a mess of stuff I did not really pay attention.

We're missing the lvl 72 unlocking, Hammerlock's, Tiny Tina's and everything that came after that.

edit

Omg I did it. I don't even know how, but I did it lol. Krieg's skill is actually useless because it's really hard to melee those worm things, though.

Throwing the buzzaxe didn't help? It does decent damage iirc.

Ohnonono

Ah, it starts at 15, nice! On PC I played all DLCs only on TVHM, where it scales to your level at the time of the acceptance of the quest. On normal, it should have pre-def levels for each quest.
Guess I'll jump into them before beating the main storyline.

We're missing the lvl 72 unlocking, Hammerlock's, Tiny Tina's and everything that came after that.

Well lets hope they at least deem us worthy to sell it to us. New level caps are cool and more stuff sounds good.

maouvin

Also can someone please suggest a control scheme that avoids using the backtouch as much as possible?

About the updates, people think EU v1.01 is equivalent to US v1.03. But I've seen no confirmation.

For the control scheme, I threw crouch and weapon swap to backtouch, and melee and sprint to the face buttons (triangle and circle). Don't think it gets much better than this.

Dude congrats, way to go!
Glad we got a little BL2 Vita community here on gaf, I don't really like to use mics or chat but feel free to shoot me a friend request if you're spending a lot of time in Pandora: JakeNoseIt

I originally played as Axton on consoles but wanted something different on Vita, kinda wishing I was still playing as Axton now though.

Honestly chose him because he was the simplest looking character. At the beginning I was regretting it a bit, thinking I may have went with one of the more 'boring' character classes but I'm glad I chose this way while figuring out the game and all that.

Ohnonono

I am really interested in trying all of the classes but the skill trees take a bit of going through. I am just sort of winging it and hoping it works out. Most of the build I have looked up seem to depend on you being higher level and having specific weapons.

Vashetti

Banned
About the updates, people think EU v1.01 is equivalent to US v1.03. But I've seen no confirmation.

For the control scheme, I threw crouch and weapon swap to backtouch, and melee and sprint to the face buttons (triangle and circle). Don't think it gets much better than this.

Thanks man. Works great, apart from me occasionally hitting the backtouch and crouching. Need to get a Vita grip.

Overall, this is a freaking awesome port and I hope loads of people buy it.

EL CUCO

I have to say...I am enjoying this game on Vita just as much as I did on console. I hate the rear touch but I mapped the crouch and sprint to the rear and its not really bothering me too much.

Thought I wasn't going to like that bodies dissappear after killing them, but the blood splattering makes it even more satisfying.

Framerate can get choppy at times but its very serviceable. It seems to bog down the most while in Sanctuary, possibly due to some extra geometry and npc's but thankfully there aren't any firefights there for the performance to really be a hinderance.

Characters transferred over fine from PS3.

PS Vita controls (mainly the sticks) do take some getting used to, but once you're accustomed, it feels fine.

I think its a solid port for a game of this scale and being able to take it on the road with you makes it even more valuable.

rschauby

Banned
Thanks man. Works great, apart from me occasionally hitting the backtouch and crouching. Need to get a Vita grip.

Overall, this is a freaking awesome port and I hope loads of people buy it.

Make sure to turn crouch toggle mode "off".

Accidentally bumping crouch won't kill you, but toggling it might.

Tigress

Thought I wasn't going to like that bodies dissappear after killing them, but the blood splattering makes it even more satisfying.

I can't agree more. I prefer the splatting bodies over the falling bodies on PS3 (that end up disappearing after a minute anyways). There's just something so satisfying about hearing that *splat* and watching them pop.

Really enjoying this port a ton as well. It's just blowing me away that I have a game with such a huge scale, excellent quality and so much replayability to play on the go. I've never quite dove fully into Borderlands 2 until this port, and I find myself playing it more than my PS3 version.

The framerate was fine for me at first, but it does start to chug during intense firefights after some sanctuary missions in big dense areas.

I find the touch controls work perfectly fine for me. I press the back touch closer to the center and successfully trigger run/melee almost 100% of the time now.

Visually though, this game holds up incredibly well to the PS3 version. I echo sentiments about the Blood splatters being awesome (not missing bodies of dead enemies lying about) and being native-res on such a nice screen almost makes it look like it has better IQ than the PS3 version on my 42" sharp aquos. Really happy with this so far.

Ristlager

You either:

- accidently marked it as "junk" (a red "x" will show up on the weapon) and pressed the "sell all junk items" on a shop;
- unequipped it and changed the sorting of your inventory, so it wouldn't show up your carried guns;
- held the button when picking a weapon in the ground while your backpack was full. This would auto-equip the picked up weapon and toss the one you were using.

edit: I didn't specify what buttons you could have pressed since I changed my button mapping, but I believe that to mark something as junk/favourite you need to press crouch, to sort might be the weapon swap, and the pick-up one is exactly what is.

I really don't think I did any of this, but now my class mod also have vanished. If I am the only one this happends to, then it probably is something I did..

Top Bottom