• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Vita |OT| 870 gajillion guns in your pockets

DrFurbs

You guys try turning on fight mode. I really think it speeds the game up. And this body game looks amazing on the vita. Seriously apart from the small menu text I have little complaints.

Ohnonono

entering shift codes on the vita is... time consuming. Is there a way to do it online and have it show up in game or do you have to type them all out on the vita?

maouvin

entering shift codes on the vita is... time consuming. Is there a way to do it online and have it show up in game or do you have to type them all out on the vita?

Must do it on Vita.

Now think about people redeeming them on the PS360. At least we got a touchscreen (but a row of numbers above the letters would help).

matmanx1

Did "Too Close for Missiles" quest last night in The Dust. I remembered it from the PC version but for some reason it struck me as particularly hilarious last night. The constant Top Gun references and the fight versus the three shirtless dudes wearing aviator shades has me giggling.

Performance seems better since the 1.03 patch but admittedly my samples size of "The Dust" and "Sanctuary" is not large enough to draw a strong conclusion.

One suggestion for folks playing this game solo like I am: Take advantage of those Golden Keys. The game is balanced for co-op and can be tedious when played solo without some really good gear. Golden Keys ensure that you will always have at least a couple of good purple items for any situation. For me, it's making the game a lot more fun.

I moved all my PS3 character to my Vita and when I started it up the next time it told me I had 71 badass point to assign. I don't remember ever have unused points.

Ohnonono

Did "Too Close for Missiles" quest last night in The Dust. I remembered it from the PC version but for some reason it struck me as particularly hilarious last night. The constant Top Gun references and the fight versus the three shirtless dudes wearing aviator shades has me giggling.

Performance seems better since the 1.03 patch but admittedly my samples size of "The Dust" and "Sanctuary" is not large enough to draw a strong conclusion.

One suggestion for folks playing this game solo like I am: Take advantage of those Golden Keys. The game is balanced for co-op and can be tedious when played solo without some really good gear. Golden Keys ensure that you will always have at least a couple of good purple items for any situation. For me, it's making the game a lot more fun.

Good advice. I eventually used a few keys and it made it much better. You could run into some real bad situations. I am glad the game is not a pushover on first play through but I was dying a ton.

Yea feel like a dolt, I did try entering the shift codes previously, but none worked, ended up registering 30 last night...

How long is this game in general, I have done pretty much every side quest.

I just
rescued Roland and have the Lilith cult side quest unlocked
just wondering roundabout?

Thanks!

maouvin

I just

Thanks!

You have a looong way to go. And after beating the game, you unlock new difficulties (they work like in Diablo - enemies get stronger, you can level up further and so does the loot).

I don't remember how long it took me to complete my first playthrough on PC, but I finished the main story lvl 30+. I did all sidequests too, so that must have taken me around 20 hours I guess, maybe a few more.

Yea feel like a dolt, I did try entering the shift codes previously, but none worked, ended up registering 30 last night...

I just

Thanks!

Depending on how many sidequests you do, expect a single play-through to take you anywhere between 12 - 30 hours (not including the DLC) The DLC will easily add at least 5 hours give or take again depending on your focus on sidequests.

petghost

Banned
Okay, so my game crashed like 3 times in the Bloodshot HQ.

yeah i think there is a problem in the room like right before the large one with a whirlpool at the bottom in which the game crashes when you reach the save point at the end of the room unless you stand perfectly still...heard a lot of people mention it.

Happened to me once, suddenly music stopped, and 15 seconds later the game just froze.

RAGE.

yeah i think there is a problem in the room like right before the large one with a whirlpool at the bottom in which the game crashes when you reach the save point at the end of the room unless you stand perfectly still...heard a lot of people mention it.

Yeah, this is exactly how it happens. Luckily done it now. I'm a big advocate/defender of this port, but stuff like that is annoying.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
8 frames per second. Hopefully more people see this DF analysis and avoid wasting money on this garbage port.

maouvin

DF analysis is up!
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-borderlands2-on-vita-face-off

Despite the criticism, I'm having a blast with this port. Nevertheless, the article will probably be outdated as soon as the patch hits.

I didn't watch their videos, but looks like they played until reaching Sanctuary (I might have missed something, tho). Would like to see they making tests on closed areas - sometimes things feel considerably better than 30fps.

Flint's battle was a mess, indeed, and Sanctuary is the place with the worst fps average I've seen until now (but sometimes it runs super smooth, so go figure).

I'm pretty sure that the game runs better on the highlands area than the icy areas at the beginning, but we can't deny that the areas DF did the testing are the first contact the player will have with the game, so their first impressions won't be that good.

It's still awesome and I'm really enjoying it even after 200+ hours played on PC (with pretty graphix and high fps).

Tigress

I didn't watch their videos, but looks like they played until reaching Sanctuary (I might have missed something, tho). Would like to see they making tests on closed areas - sometimes things feel considerably better than 30fps.

Flint's battle was a mess, indeed, and Sanctuary is the place with the worst fps average I've seen until now (but sometimes it runs super smooth, so go figure).

I'm pretty sure that the game runs better on the highlands area than the icy areas at the beginning, but we can't deny that the areas DF did the testing are the first contact the player will have with the game, so their first impressions won't be that good.

It's still awesome and I'm really enjoying it even after 200+ hours played on PC (with pretty graphix and high fps).

You know, of all the battles, it seems Flint's was the worst. THere was one other area it seemed to do badly at but I can't remember where.

It also didn't like it at one point when it was throwing a ton of enemies at me and some one I was playing with (it definitely is noticeable when you are playing with some one else. Still fun in my opinion and it's amazing it can even do it but definitely even by my standards noticeable. And I loved Fallout and Skyrim on my PS3 despite their bugginess < - I played SKyrim way after they patched it to be fair).

I love this game! I love it! I can't put my Vita down!

sorry 3DS

I tweeted Gio Corsi, Adam Boyes, Playstation, Iron Galaxy, 2K, Gearbox:

"Please bring the remaining DLC content to Borderlands 2 on Vita...I'll throw $ at the screen and if that happens ^_~"

I want more! Not even close to being complete (level 13) - but I want it in its entirety - it's that good :)

Tigress

I love this game! I love it! I can't put my Vita down!

sorry 3DS

"Please bring the remaining DLC content to Borderlands 2 on Vita...I'll throw $ at the screen and if that happens ^_~"

I want more! Not even close to being complete (level 13) - but I want it in its entirety - it's that good :)

Hrm, maybe I should tweet them that not only would I buy the Vita DLC, I'd also buy the PS3 DLC so I'd have the same game on both computers (I haven't even installed the DLC that came with cause I don't want to worry about what will transfer over and what won't between Vita and PS3, despite the fact I rarely play on the PS3).

It's position in the UK charts last week is encouraging. I wonder if it's proportionally worth their time though. I have dreams of Pre-Sequel, but I'll take what I can get!

It's position in the UK charts last week is encouraging. I wonder if it's proportionally worth their time though. I have dreams of Pre-Sequel, but I'll take what I can get!

Everyone says that Gearbox's Tiny Tina DLC is the best of the DLC, it's also missing from the Vita version. I only have BL (BL2) on Vita and it's the only place I'll play it, so I'd like the complete package.

This game is sweet!

I've totally acclimated to the hiccups in Sanctuary and really, doesn't bother me. I'm not there a lot, other than turning in an odd quest. The majority of the gameplay (looting and fighting) is stable, so that's more important to me.

Dingotech

I'm really enjoying being able to play the game on a portable, especially this week at work when nothing has been happening at all.

Yes there are fairly glaring performance issues, but I can forgive most of them because it's an awesome game on a freaking portable machine.

One thing I would love fixed in a patch is the performance of the menu screens, hitting select and trying to move between the inventory/map/skills is super laggy and always takes several button presses to respond for me.

Just picked this up from the BST thread. I doubt I'll buy any of the ps3 dlc anytime soon, so for me to be able to have the cross save work, that also means I can't get any of the fancy extra downloads aside from the fancy full game? Thanks in advance! First BL game also.

DrFurbs

Regarding the digital foundry article saying turning on flight mode direct not help fps. I don't know about that. My experience in Sanctuary had been relatively smooth. Rarely if even do I notice dropped frames especially to the extent they mention.

Omerta

Ok. I'm completely and hopelessly addicted to this game.

I've never played Borderlands before and it just clicked with me. I'm about 6 hours in and I just realised that I'm paying waaay more attention to shield points and shit like that than I did a few hours ago.

Tech wise; I'm really happy with the port so far. I've had a couple of frame drop moments but they've not effected my game and *touch wood*, I haven't had a crash yet.

SmokyDave

Game runs like shit. Controls are sub-optimal. Text is ridiculously small.

I fucking love it. Can't believe I'm able to play this on a handheld. I think I might be in gaming heaven.

My fucking gun explodes when I reload. Amazing.

Uggghhhh....I knew I shouldn't have bought this last night. I just knew it. Downloaded through the night, played some this mroning before work, and little bits on my break. UUUGHHHHHHHHhhhh D: Why.....WHY?!?!?!

WHY oh WHY did I buy this from the BST thread and not retail, so I could help with their sales figures!! xD I never really had an urge to play BL1, even though I got it free from PS Plus, but this game...I think it's the portability that makes it that much more appealing. Plus, to me, seeing full PS3 games scaled down like this, I see it as being very impressive, and that also makes me enjoy the game more. I am really, really enjoying the little time I have spent with it. I've enjoyed games with far more "stutter" than what I am seeing here, which so far isn't bad at all in my eyes. Plus with the stability update incoming, it will make it that much more better. That's right. More better. MOAR GOODER. It's been a while since I've played a major release on the Vita, I think Tearaway was my last back in January or so, and this is exactly what I've been looking for on the Vita. Yea true I've got a lot of indies and PSN games I've been playing. I've got other full fledged titles I could "finish up" by trophy hunting. But I'd much rather be vault hunting now.

Back to my original (terribly worded) question. I have vanilla BL2 on my PS3, with no DLC. I wouldn't mind taking advantage of the cross save, even though I am not sure I would actually take advantage of it. BUT IF I WANT TO....I should not download any of the extra downloadables for the Vita, right? AllI got initially was the BL2 base game, nothing else. Please and thanks!

BigDug13

Well to be precise, you throw an explosive decoy of your gun when you reload. Even better.

Actually you're just throwing the empty (or not empty if you choose) gun away since the gun is just a replicator attached to your arm that keeps spawning new guns after you throw.

Gearbox called Tediore the Walmart of guns. So cheap you just throw them away and spawn a new one.

maouvin

Well to be precise, you throw an explosive decoy of your gun when you reload. Even better.

What if Dave somehow got his hands on an EVIL SMASHER (a quest-reward Torgue gun that actually explodes on reload) at the beginning of the game? :p

But he's surely talking about a Tediore.

Back to my original (terribly worded) question. I have vanilla BL2 on my PS3, with no DLC. I wouldn't mind taking advantage of the cross save, even though I am not sure I would actually take advantage of it. BUT IF I WANT TO....I should not download any of the extra downloadables for the Vita, right? AllI got initially was the BL2 base game, nothing else. Please and thanks!

If you create a Gaige or Krieg on Vita and don't have them on PS3, you won't be able to use them.
If you enter a DLC campaign area on the Vita you can still use your character on the PS3, but any itens exclusive to that DLC won't be usable there.
I don't know what happens if you take a character level 51+ to the PS3 without the level cap DLC.

Then again, if you don't want to use the DLCs at first, you might as well not download them and keep that memory card space.

Uggghhhh....I knew I shouldn't have bought this last night. I just knew it. Downloaded through the night, played some this mroning before work, and little bits on my break. UUUGHHHHHHHHhhhh D: Why.....WHY?!?!?!

WHY oh WHY did I buy this from the BST thread and not retail, so I could help with their sales figures!! xD I never really had an urge to play BL1, even though I got it free from PS Plus, but this game...I think it's the portability that makes it that much more appealing. Plus, to me, seeing full PS3 games scaled down like this, I see it as being very impressive, and that also makes me enjoy the game more. I am really, really enjoying the little time I have spent with it. I've enjoyed games with far more "stutter" than what I am seeing here, which so far isn't bad at all in my eyes. Plus with the stability update incoming, it will make it that much more better. That's right. More better. MOAR GOODER. It's been a while since I've played a major release on the Vita, I think Tearaway was my last back in January or so, and this is exactly what I've been looking for on the Vita. Yea true I've got a lot of indies and PSN games I've been playing. I've got other full fledged titles I could "finish up" by trophy hunting. But I'd much rather be vault hunting now.

So glad to hear you're enjoying it! The rest of us Vita BL2 fans are echoing your sentiments.

Top Bottom