• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

So, basically it's a shitty port? That kinda sucks since I ordered it on PC.

Has Gearbox responded yet or anything?

and does it force 16:9 or can I do 16:10? since it sounds like a shitty port, I'm worried that it might be the case.

BioNut

Banned
speculawyer said:
Ack . . . I have lots of frame tearing.

Is there anyway to lock my sync so I don't have all this tearing? It is very annoying.

Edit: Looks like I'm not the only one with this issue. :lol

I've been looking through my ATI control panel for something to lock down the frame rate, but I can't find anything. :-?

Do this: Documents/My Games/Borderlands/WillowGame/Config/WillowEngine.ini -> UseVsync = False (change to true)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Spruchy said:

No, I got what he was trying to say. I wasn't pointing out that I knew Randy Pitchford by proxy like he was suggesting. I was just saying it was funny to get an achievement for doing nothing.

Just finished up the first main mission, got to level 7. So far I really like it. Had to restart once because the little robot got stuck, but its the only glitch so far. Turning on v-sync helped a lot. And while it's not a rock solid 60fps, with everything at max @ 1080p, it's steady enough to be playable, imo.

It's easy to get a handle on what to do, where to go all that stuff. Sucks to hear there is some issues with getting co-op games going. Going to try increasing the FOV as well, it is a tad narrow. Glad I went ahead and got this though, having a good experience so far.

Mrbob

Linkzg said:

and does it force 16:9 or can I do 16:10? since it sounds like a shitty port, I'm worried that it might be the case.

It can do 16:10.

A simple patch or two can fix many of the issues if Gearbox gets on top of things.

Firestorm

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Just finished up the first main mission, got to level 7. So far I really like it. Had to restart once because the little robot got stuck, but its the only glitch so far. Turning on v-sync helped a lot. And while it's not a rock solid 60fps, with everything at max @ 1080p, it's steady enough to be playable, imo.

It's easy to get a handle on what to do, where to go all that stuff. Sucks to hear there is some issues with getting co-op games going. Going to try increasing the FOV as well, it is a tad narrow. Glad I went ahead and got this though, having a good experience so far.
Video card?

I'm hoping to run everything on max at 1080p 60fps v-synced. Hopefully add 4x AA using nhancer or nVidia's tools... Using a GTX 275 + q9550.

mandiller

speculawyer said:
Ack . . . I have lots of frame tearing.

Is there anyway to lock my sync so I don't have all this tearing? It is very annoying.

Edit: Looks like I'm not the only one with this issue. :lol

I've been looking through my ATI control panel for something to lock down the frame rate, but I can't find anything. :-?

Why not just open: Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config\WillowEngine.ini
and change UseVsync=False to UseVsync=True

That's what I saw on the steam forums.

Firestorm said:
Video card?

I'm hoping to run everything on max at 1080p 60fps v-synced. Hopefully add 4x AA using nhancer or nVidia's tools... Using a GTX 275 + q9550.

XFX ATI Radeon 5850 OC'ed @ 775mhz/1125mhz, Catalyst 9.10 drivers. Lowest dips never really went below 45fps, it runs steady at 55+fps 80% of the time.

gillty

Banned
Linkzg said:

WTF
no.

it runs fantastic minus a few problems
-no aa settng option in menu (not uncommon for unreal 3)
-no vsync option
-a few minor control issues ie pgup/pgdown to scroll quest description (i havent run in to this, scroll wheel works fine for me if cursor is over discription)

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
would anyone here do a gift thing with me? i cant get it till the 30th because of god damned steam holding it back to the 30th

Id be willing to paypal or gift another game (perhaps l4d2?)

I haven't noticed a single hitch here. Running it at 1080p but I'm not sure of the framerate, I just know it's not dipping.

Tried playing this with a 360 pad, it works, but the sensitivity options aren't to my liking. I eventually stuck to the KB&M and haven't looked back.

This game is awesome. I love games like this that provide so much playability, and loot, and what not. All the benefits of a shooter, all the perks of an RPG. I haven't tried co-op yet but I'll check it out once I get my bearings in the SP. $33 well spent.

thetrin said:
Wonderful. Too bad there isn't an achievement for that.

Something tells me you didn't get the point of what I was saying. Juniors these days...
your friend or you is a liar is that what your saying?

Swag

Finally got a game working with Ahoy, going runnign with a full party at the moment and the game is AWESOME.

Screen Tearing is an issue though, and it doesn't seem like all our Mics are working ( Just the Host ) but so good. Just killed
Nine Tails
and got a sweet fire pistol

Well I ordered a new Harddrive and Windows 7 today. After that I am going to upgrade my nvidia 9300. The card came with my computer.

So I have a quad processor, nvidia 9300, and 5 gigs of ram. I want to get that new ATI Radeon 5770.

Zeliard

Wow, how the fuck do they leave an anti-aliasing option out of the PC version of game that has an art style that's dominated by black outlines?

Valru said:
WTF
no.

it runs fantastic minus a few problems
-no aa settng option in menu (not uncommon for unreal 3)
-no vsync option
-a few minor control issues ie pgup/pgdown to scroll quest description (i havent run in to this, scroll wheel works fine for me if cursor is over discription)

no aa and no vsync sounds kinda shitty. I already read a bunch of fixes, including the ability to enable v-sync in the ini, but Gearbox clearly didn't give a fuck. Gamespy. Seriously.

SlickVic

So was there a release-day patch for the PC version? Still trying to figure out why it was delayed 6 days.

Or hearing about these optimization issues, maybe it still needed a couple more weeks and they decided not to delay it too much or else release would coincide with MW2.

Enosh

SlickVic said:
So was there a release-day patch for the PC version? Still trying to figure out why it was delayed 6 days.

come one
I know it
you know it

just stop pretending and say it out loud

kodt said:
Anyone a little disappointed by this game?

I played it twice for about 3 hours each time. The first run I was having much fun for the first 2 hours or so, around the 3 hour mark the repetitiveness was starting to set in and I got bored. Here are my issues:

1. Gun variety is kinda lacking.

It seems every gun type uses the same model more or less with different textures and stats, although most guns are very similar in stats so it seems like you are just getting slightly shittier or slightly less shitty versions of the same guns. IDK most of the loot in this game was just boring and after a while I didn't even want to look at it.

2. Gameworld felt sort of dead and bland.

I don't have too much to elaborate on here, just that the game world really didn't inspire me to want to explore at all. I guess you don't really play by exploring, rather just doing quests but I still didn't have any desire to check out unvisited parts of the map, there didn't seem to be much incentive.

3. Combat is iffy.

The mechanics and everything are solid, but it just isn't very fun. I found myself constantly circle strafing enemies while pelting them with bullets. I was running around Quake 1 style and this seemed to work just fine. The Halo'ish shield does give some incentive to take cover to let it recharge, but I still felt like I was just running and gunning.

5. The Loot kinda sucks for a loot game.

I alluded to this earlier in my point about guns. But apart from guns (which are usually boring). You don't seem to get much other than Ammo and cash. You can get a few cool mod-slot upgrades but these rarely drop. I think part of the problem is that you don't have armor items. Typically loot games you have helmet, chest, pants, feet, gloves, rings, amulet/necklace, and sometimes a few more slots as well. This allows for greater variety in loot and so you are replacing items more often. In Borderlands I only changed guns maybe 2 or 3 times in the time I played, and I didn't even get any good loot that I was too low for.

6. The FPS/RPG mix isn't working for me here.

I guess it is more difficult for me to suspend my belief in this game since it uses human bad guys and ballistic weapons. It just seems stupid when an enemy that looks exactly the same except he has a "Badass" pre-fix somehow can take 100 bullets as opposed to 20. At least give him some cool looking armor or something... This part of the combat also felt stupid. There would be times were I would be doing a quest at my level and come across some "Badass" guy who had tons of health. The process would go like this:

1. pelt him with bullets.
2. die
3. respawn and continue to pelt him with bullets.
4. repeat steps 2 and 3 a few times.
5. he dies.

The issue is the penalty for dying was so small that this was probably the best strategy, although it was very unfun.

A few other minor nags such as the driving, the crappy menus in split-screen mode don't really make a big difference. To me the game-play is the issue and unfortunately I am just not having much fun. (Played mostly co-op for reference)

You're so doing it wrong that it's not even funny.

#1) The really good shit doesn't start dropping until about level 20ish.

#2) The pelt die pelt die routine is the way it is because a) you're in too high level area or b) you gotta dodge more.

bounchfx

with all the pc issues, I'm regretting my purchase.. I kinda wanna just go buy the 360 one now.. and after waiting a week just to play the pc one this really doesn't sit well with me.

Does valve give refunds?

SlickVic

Enosh said:
come one
I know it
you know it

just stop pretending and say it out loud

Come one come all to the great show of all time?

Sorry bro you'll have to help me out here. I want to know why I had to wait an extra week to get the PC version if there wasn't a patch or anything to justify the extra wait time. I haven't bought the game yet so if there was a patch I'd like to know.

gillty

Banned
Linkzg said:
no aa and no vsync sounds kinda shitty. I already read a bunch of fixes, including the ability to enable v-sync in the ini, but Gearbox clearly didn't give a fuck. Gamespy. Seriously.
i have never needed to use vsync in any game, in fact frame tearing does not effect me nor do i notice it, and well AA of course that would be awesome but i have come to not expect it in unreal3. as for gamespy i have no beef with it besides fucking up bf2s browser.
people focus too much on this shit, it runs great and is a fun game.

Enosh

SlickVic said:
Come one come all to the great show of all time?

Sorry bro you'll have to help me out here. I want to know why I had to wait an extra week to get the PC version if there wasn't a patch or anything to justify the extra wait time.

so that the console versions will sell that little extra beacose of people that can't wait

it's preaty much becoming standart for pc releases these days, with, probably the most ironic thing about this whole deal, one of the few publishers not doing it being activision (atleast I remember wolfenstein and prototype releasing on the same date as the console versions)

Boonoo

I was able to get a private game up and running. But my brother wasn't able to connect. Anyone else have coop trouble? Hopefully that gets sorted out pretty quick.

Surfheart

SuperEnemyCrab said:
XFX ATI Radeon 5850 OC'ed @ 775mhz/1125mhz, Catalyst 9.10 drivers. Lowest dips never really went below 45fps, it runs steady at 55+fps 80% of the time.

Wow, that doesn't seem too impressive for such a highend card?

Edit: Anyone try renaming the .exe to biahh.exe? Brothers in arms:Hells Highway was another Unreal3 Gearbox game and forcing AA in this manner worked well for my 9800gtx.

SlickVic

Enosh said:
so that the console versions will sell that little extra beacose of people that can't wait

it's preaty much becoming standart for pc releases these days, with, probably the most ironic thing about this whole deal, one of the few publishers not doing it being activision (atleast I remember wolfenstein and prototype releasing on the same date as the console versions)

Well I didn't want to accuse them of that if there was actually a patch that came out today. I don't want to be mean to them for no reason. :lol

If there was no patch that's quite lame. I'm not sure why we're saving all our hate for Activision when we run into another dev who's blatantly trying to bloat console sales at the expense of the PC. But I guess this issue ain't protest-worthy.

So wait...I played the game. Got to level 8. Then decided to play with someone, so I did the gamespy ID thing. Now all my progress is gone. Uh?

garath

Enabling vsync and disabling the mouse smoothing have made a big difference. The mouse sensitivity is still way too high (bioshock had this issue too) but I found a line in an ini file for that so I might be able to lower it beyond the silly slider.

Alex

I recall Gearbox saying PC was the lead, but the controls and options are very consolish even on PC.

That is ok though, the game runs so much better, loads so much faster and controls so nicely on PC. They also seem to have upped the enemy count on the PC version, because we are getting utterly swarmed compared to playing on consoles last week.

So wait...I played the game. Got to level 8. Then decided to play with someone, so I did the gamespy ID thing. Now all my progress is gone. Uh?

If it's like the console versions, you'll need to load in your existing character from a lil option.

Great: http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=78974

I am running the RC of Windows 7 and just installed Borderlands, which installed fine. At first, I installed it to my H: drive. I played for a while, and then quit the game. When I started it again, not only had my screen resolution changed to default, my save file wasn't there. I created a new character, waited until it saved, then exited to the main menu. Without closing the game, my save wasn't there. I then installed to C:\Program Files (x86) and the same thing happened. I also tried C:\Program Files with no luck.

I tried to use compatibility mode, and I tried running it as administrator, neither of which seemed to have any affect. I have quite a few other games installed, none of which have any problems.

If anyone here has some information about this issue, it would be appreciated.

garath

Boonoo said:
I was able to get a private game up and running. But my brother wasn't able to connect. Anyone else have coop trouble? Hopefully that gets sorted out pretty quick.

Might be a port issue. The readme has the ports I think. If not, they are on the official forums.

Enosh

SlickVic said:
Well I didn't want to accuse them of that if there was actually a patch that came out today. I don't want to be mean to them for no reason. :lol

I also read from multiple sources that gamestop etc had both the console and pc versions at the same dated delived, but don't know if there is any truth to that one

Wag

It is the only FPS I've played on my PC 16:10 display (at 1920x1200) that makes me dizzy. It just doesn't look right, sort of a convex look, or stretched, like it's not right for the resolution. Anyone else experiencing this?

epmode

So my game grinds to a halt whenever I try to search for an internet game. It eventually un-freezes but it takes about 1-2 mintues. And if I try to join a game that happens to be full, everything freezes again until the server list is refreshed.

Is this happening to everyone or what? I know it's not a port issue because I can actually see and connect to games, it just takes FOREVER.

edit: Looks like other people are reporting the problem on the Steam forums.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Hrmm, I have a few different characters, as I play with many different people - and this is in regards to my highest (level 19).

He feels weak. I was playing online today 4 player co-op, and it felt like everyone else was kicking a substantial amount more ass than me. I don't know why, but they just... had no problems with anything, and me - on occasion I get into scuffles that are a bit over my head. I just got my class mod, and it's kind of crappy, so I am hoping I run into some better stuff - but most importantly I think I just need to find some better weapons, and 'understand' the hierarchy of weapons - sometimes I still have trouble deciding which sniper rifle is better for me, something with really high damage, or something with 60% that damage, AND an elemental effect.

Any tips?

garath said:
I have the real release of Windows 7 Enterprise and I don't have an issue with my steam game. I've gone in and out and loaded a few times as I play with the ini file. My character is there intact.

Hmm. Anyone running 7100 better check theirs before they get too far along.

52club

bounchfx said:
with all the pc issues, I'm regretting my purchase.. I kinda wanna just go buy the 360 one now.. and after waiting a week just to play the pc one this really doesn't sit well with me.

Does valve give refunds?

Yes, I've heard that they do give refunds. You simply have to ask.

epmode

BTW, this server browser is a piece of shit. No ping, no way to sort anything, etc.

And client-side character storage is still one of the worst ideas ever for a PC game. You'd think that a Gearbox would at least get THAT right, especially after spouting all that nonsense about how the game was built for PCs first.

I mean, Diablo 2 did it right, like 9826982 years ago. How come so many developers find this so hard to copy? Answer:
No one *really* cares about the PC port.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
epmode said:
BTW, this server browser is a piece of shit. No ping, no way to sort anything, etc.

And client-side character storage is still one of the worst ideas ever for a PC game. You'd think that a Gearbox would at least get THAT right, especially after spouting all that nonsense about how the game was built for PCs first.

I mean, Diablo 2 did it right, like 9826982 years ago. How come so many developers find this so hard to copy?
Just play with friends.

Is the reply you'll get if you say anything about client side characters or the lack of a proper trading setup.

kamspy

I knew I didn't like Randy. I just had a feeling.

I talked a handful of people into buying this on PC instead of their console of choice.

Having the 360 disc from Gamefly and PC version running on a would-be capable machine, I feel like an ass.

Crap MP. I don't want to fuck with "work-around" shit in 2009 on a "pc optimized" game.
Screen tearing in any non-D3DOverrider scenario.
Shit console interface
Shit console menus
Use of page scroll buttons

and overall non-PC feeling of this supposedly 'optimized' PC game.

360 version seems to be pretty damn locked at 30. Can't make the screen tear even if I try (I always do:p), and aUI that is suited for my input method.

I've been lied to and it cost me money. BiA:HH should have taught me a lesson.

Top Bottom