• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Sebulon3k said:
I don't even have that option, just says ready, Select character etc.

And I added you to Steam Ahoyhoy but it says your offline

I just added you too and it says your offline. Gotta love this online interface...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh well, looks like the 360 version is the best version.

I can live with that.

BioNut said:
Why did Randy say PC was the best version?

How can people just flat out lie like that?

Yeah, I definitely wonder that too. I mean, it's not as bad as some of more extreme posts here (definitely dealt with worse ports), but if the spokesperson for the game is gonna talk it up in a certain way, at least follow through on SOME of it.

Pg Down / Pg Up did crack me up, though, lol... been a while.

Some of it just seems weird though. They support the mouse-wheel for switching weapons, why not UI interaction? I dunno, stuff like that makes me wonder what was going on here. These things were brought up internally, I'm sure of it, but finaling must've gotten in the way of fixing them.

I predict / expect / hope that there's a patch soon, as well.

Boonoo

Blizzard said:
Boonoo, sorry to convince you to get the game if it ends up sucking. :lol

Haha, don't worry about it. The actual gunplay and whatnot is pretty fun, and I mainly got it to mess around Diablo style with my little brother. Assuming the online gets sorted it should be good.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Available: 29 October 2009
This game will unlock in approximately 3 days and 3 hours

That's what I get for living overseas.. :D No problem tho, my pc is still fucked. Fried mobo ftw.

Teknoman

Yeah no doubt, the game is fun. Just a few PC issues need to be fixed here and there. Even though those issues are around...PC version is still the best version.

Swag

Spent 30 minutes just trying to get the online to work :lol , has anyone gotten into someone else's game at all?

Blizzard

Banned
One more quick note -- if GameSpy online actually doesn't work at all right now, yet pirates had it working playing with each other -- that's just nine kinds of ironic, unless the load now is just overwhelming the servers (ala the PS3 launch?).

Charsace, try restarting Steam a few times, and verifying the game integrity. Otherwise, it might be the Steam verification servers being slow, just keep trying.

Tokubetsu

Has this been posted already?

You can force it via your video card's control panel or goto:

"Documents/My Games/Borderlands/WillowGame/Config/WillowEngine.ini"

Search for the line:

UseVsync=False

And change it to:

UseVsync=True

Firestorm

Ugh, maybe my friends and I should have just spend the extra $8 and got it on 360 + a week earlier if the controls are as bad as that -_- It could have at least used Steam or Games for Windows Live so I'd already have a friends list to work with. Now I need GameSpy too? =/

drizzle

Axel Hertz
charsace said:
Can't even start the steam version. Keeps saying the game isn't available.
WHere do you live? Today the game is only available for US citizens (and canadians). The international release date (aka, everywhere else) is only on the 30th.

I always knew it was only on the 30th, i just had a little hope that steam would release it earlier. Guess they caught on that countdown bug on the last hour till release. :D

Oh well. no biggie.

Blizzard said:
One more quick note -- if GameSpy online actually doesn't work at all right now, yet pirates had it working playing with each other -- that's just nine kinds of ironic, unless the load now is just overwhelming the servers (ala the PS3 launch?).
Pirates were probably playing because the servers were empty. They must be overloaded right now.

Teknoman

Gamespy ID: Teknoman_EX

Hosting a game, so either join mine or try inviting me.

The controls really arent bad PC wise...aside from the page up page down thing in menus. Left Click still = Confirm/enter.

Alot of the complaints are overblown though.

Firehead

charsace said:
Can't even start the steam version. Keeps saying the game isn't available.
Restart Steam?

Right-click on a weapon to save as an "item card"
110ho5u.png

Though, the picture it saves is rather large.

gillty

Banned
Ikuu said:
I don't know how I've played a game all these years without using Pg Up to scroll through menus.
umm.. mouse scroll wheel it works

honestly I dont understand why everyones bitching and moaning, so far the only minor problem i've ran into was the lack of AA options in the menus (not uncommon for unreal 3) honestly it doesnt need AA that bad. As for the steam situation, the whole decrypting/12pm noon release happened with every major steam release i've ever preordered people should expect it by now

game runs smooth as fuck never dropping below 50fps ( q6600, 4gb ram, 4890, and a 2 wd black raid0 on windows 7) with everything maxed and 16x AF & load times are like 2-4 seconds from main menu and between areas. I'm impressed.

29fqii9.png

shrapnelmagnet said:
Yeah, I definitely wonder that too. I mean, it's not as bad as some of more extreme posts here (definitely dealt with worse ports),

Pretty much, it's still high resolution, smooth framerates on my 8800gt, 16AF etc, and i'd never pay full console prices for this sort of game anyway.

eznark

Banned
Valru said:
umm.. mouse scroll wheel it works

Not for me it doesn't. That and having to hit enter to accept quests are my only annoyances.

If I wanted to control AA through nVidia's control panel, how do I find Borderlands? I have no idea where Steam installs the game files.

Also, is there no hotkey for medkits?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\common

EDIT: OOh, so nHancer might work after all. What is your rig indeed?

EDIT: Going home. Will post results of tweaks here.

Teknoman

Not to be nosy, but is it really that jaggy that you guys need AA? Maybe it should be there, but its not really necessary from what i'm seeing.

charsace said:
Verifying for me now. Why do you need a gamespy id?

Using Gamespy for servers like Unreal Tournament III.

EDIT: Wow just got eaten alive by whelps. Didnt look a the level marker and got rushed :lol

JdFoX187

Banned
Played through a couple of the opening quests and the performance is aces for me. I forced V-Sync through D3DOverrider and it looks beautiful. The tearing was about to get on my nerves. Aliasing isn't that noticeable, at least not enough for me to tweak around with the settings. Hopefully, we can get the online figured out soon enough. I'd love to go through some co-op. Playing as a soldier right now.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Last night, a buddy logged on to my game and I got the "And They'll Tell Two Friends" achievement.

It took me like, 5 minutes to realize he had played with Randy Pitchford in Borderlands, and that's how I got the achievement. :lol

BioNut

Banned
Teknoman said:
I think the gearbox forums exploded.

Possibly because they sold more than gamespy was ready to handle?

That is probably the problem with the server lists.

As for the direct host connection putting your comp in the dmz and disabling windows firewall seems to work.

roMonster

Teknoman said:
Turn aim assist off.

Ohh, you can turn it off--cool. It was kinda jarring.

So about the online... what am I doing wrong at the lobby screen? I get there and it takes a minute for a command to input then nothing happens. (I haven't gone through the last couple of pages)

thetrin said:
Last night, a buddy logged on to my game and I got the "And They'll Tell Two Friends" achievement.

It took me like, 5 minutes to realize he had played with Randy Pitchford in Borderlands, and that's how I got the achievement. :lol
Oh my god I have a friend who knows a guy who ate at a restaurant that Randy pitchford thought about eatting at.

thetrin

practice02 said:
Oh my god I have a friend who knows a guy who ate at a restaurant that Randy pitchford thought about eatting at.

Wonderful. Too bad there isn't an achievement for that.

Something tells me you didn't get the point of what I was saying. Juniors these days...

Flyguy

Is this thread solely about bitching about the PC version and its many faults? Because I'd like to take the opportunity to bitch about the frequent enemy respawns. I hate that enemies respawn before I've even left an area. Maybe I did my build wrong, but it takes me a long ass time to get through an area when I'm fighting enemies at a similar or higher level than me. And many, many times now I've finally cleared out all the bad guys just to have them respawn. It also makes it a huge pain in the ass to backtrack to sell loot when you have to fight through enemies it just took you an hour to clear out the first time.

Borman

Im actually extremely happy with the performance of the game, runs great on my 8800gt, 2.66ghz quad xeon setup at 1080p. Sure, some jaggies, but Im playing on my TV so Im sitting far enough back. Great game.

kodt

Banned
Anyone a little disappointed by this game?

I played it twice for about 3 hours each time. The first run I was having much fun for the first 2 hours or so, around the 3 hour mark the repetitiveness was starting to set in and I got bored. Here are my issues:

1. Gun variety is kinda lacking.

It seems every gun type uses the same model more or less with different textures and stats, although most guns are very similar in stats so it seems like you are just getting slightly shittier or slightly less shitty versions of the same guns. IDK most of the loot in this game was just boring and after a while I didn't even want to look at it.

2. Gameworld felt sort of dead and bland.

I don't have too much to elaborate on here, just that the game world really didn't inspire me to want to explore at all. I guess you don't really play by exploring, rather just doing quests but I still didn't have any desire to check out unvisited parts of the map, there didn't seem to be much incentive.

3. Combat is iffy.

The mechanics and everything are solid, but it just isn't very fun. I found myself constantly circle strafing enemies while pelting them with bullets. I was running around Quake 1 style and this seemed to work just fine. The Halo'ish shield does give some incentive to take cover to let it recharge, but I still felt like I was just running and gunning.

5. The Loot kinda sucks for a loot game.

I alluded to this earlier in my point about guns. But apart from guns (which are usually boring). You don't seem to get much other than Ammo and cash. You can get a few cool mod-slot upgrades but these rarely drop. I think part of the problem is that you don't have armor items. Typically loot games you have helmet, chest, pants, feet, gloves, rings, amulet/necklace, and sometimes a few more slots as well. This allows for greater variety in loot and so you are replacing items more often. In Borderlands I only changed guns maybe 2 or 3 times in the time I played, and I didn't even get any good loot that I was too low for.

6. The FPS/RPG mix isn't working for me here.

I guess it is more difficult for me to suspend my belief in this game since it uses human bad guys and ballistic weapons. It just seems stupid when an enemy that looks exactly the same except he has a "Badass" pre-fix somehow can take 100 bullets as opposed to 20. At least give him some cool looking armor or something... This part of the combat also felt stupid. There would be times were I would be doing a quest at my level and come across some "Badass" guy who had tons of health. The process would go like this:

1. pelt him with bullets.
2. die
3. respawn and continue to pelt him with bullets.
4. repeat steps 2 and 3 a few times.
5. he dies.

The issue is the penalty for dying was so small that this was probably the best strategy, although it was very unfun.

A few other minor nags such as the driving, the crappy menus in split-screen mode don't really make a big difference. To me the game-play is the issue and unfortunately I am just not having much fun. (Played mostly co-op for reference)

BioNut

Banned
kodt said:
Anyone a little disappointed by this game?

I played it twice for about 3 hours each time. The first run I was having much fun for the first 2 hours or so, around the 3 hour mark the repetitiveness was starting to set in and I got bored. Here are my issues:

1. Gun variety is kinda lacking.

It seems every gun type uses the same model more or less with different textures and stats, although most guns are very similar in stats so it seems like you are just getting slightly shittier or slightly less shitty versions of the same guns. IDK most of the loot in this game was just boring and after a while I didn't even want to look at it.

2. Gameworld felt sort of dead and bland.

I don't have too much to elaborate on here, just that the game world really didn't inspire me to want to explore at all. I guess you don't really play by exploring, rather just doing quests but I still didn't have any desire to check out unvisited parts of the map, there didn't seem to be much incentive.

3. Combat is iffy.

The mechanics and everything are solid, but it just isn't very fun. I found myself constantly circle strafing enemies while pelting them with bullets. I was running around Quake 1 style and this seemed to work just fine. The Halo'ish shield does give some incentive to take cover to let it recharge, but I still felt like I was just running and gunning.

5. The Loot kinda sucks for a loot game.

I alluded to this earlier in my point about guns. But apart from guns (which are usually boring). You don't seem to get much other than Ammo and cash. You can get a few cool mod-slot upgrades but these rarely drop. I think part of the problem is that you don't have armor items. Typically loot games you have helmet, chest, pants, feet, gloves, rings, amulet/necklace, and sometimes a few more slots as well. This allows for greater variety in loot and so you are replacing items more often. In Borderlands I only changed guns maybe 2 or 3 times in the time I played, and I didn't even get any good loot that I was too low for.

6. The FPS/RPG mix isn't working for me here.

I guess it is more difficult for me to suspend my view of reality in this game since it uses human bad guys and ballistic weapons. It just seems stupid when an enemy that looks exactly the same except he has a "Badass" pre-fix somehow can take 100 bullets as opposed to 20. At least give him some cool looking armor or something... This part of the combat also felt stupid. There would be times were I would be doing a quest at my level and come across some "Badass" guy who had tons of health. The process would go like this:

1. pelt him with bullets.
2. die
3. respawn and continue to pelt him with bullets.
4. repeat steps 2 and 3 a few times.
5. he dies.

The issue is the penalty for dying was so small that this was probably the best strategy, although it was very unfun.

A few other minor nags such as the driving, the crappy menus in split-screen mode don't really make a big difference. To me the game-play is the issue and unfortunately I am just not having much fun. (Played mostly co-op for reference)

What is the highest level you have made it to?

When playing coop on the 360 I have too much good loot dropping. It gets better the further on you get into the game.

Mrbob

Is there any way to lock this game down at 30fps?

And yeah, I'm going to start assuming all developers are lieing about PC version optimization from now on until proven otherwise. Pitchford was talking up how Gearbox tailored the game on the PC, and he was full of crap.

PC version screams dirty console port.

datamage

Aside from having to use the keyboard to navigate through some of the UI- really I have to use Pg Up/Dn and Enter to accept a quest? The game is solid on the PC.. silky smooth @ 1080p, and aside from very minor jaggies at that res, it looks nice. (GTX 275, C2D @ 3.33 GHZ)

No V-sync issues here with it forced on through the nV control panel.

Ack . . . I have lots of frame tearing.

Is there anyway to lock my sync so I don't have all this tearing? It is very annoying.

Edit: Looks like I'm not the only one with this issue. :lol

I've been looking through my ATI control panel for something to lock down the frame rate, but I can't find anything. :-?

Top Bottom