• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

JdFoX187

Banned
Aside from a few minor problems with the interface, what's so bad about the game on PC? It runs better than the console versions, it looks better than the console versions and doesn't take any work at all to implement V-Sync.

SlickVic

Enosh said:
I also read from multiple sources that gamestop etc had both the console and pc versions at the same dated delived, but don't know if there is any truth to that one

Yea I saw copies of Borderlands PC at a local mom-and-pop store last week so I imagine they were all shipped at the same time to stores. The thing is SecuROM blocked retail copies from activating till today. Pretty lame.

Smash88

Banned
Wag said:
It is the only FPS I've played on my PC 16:10 display (at 1920x1200) that makes me dizzy. It just doesn't look right, sort of a convex look, or stretched, like it's not right for the resolution. Anyone else experiencing this?

Just a temporary method;

Go to my documents\games\borderlands\willowgame

open willowinput.ini
add
Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="FOV 90",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F11",Command="FOV 110",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
add it amongst the other bindings, change the fov to whatever you want and switch it by the corresponding keys

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17192

Widescreengaming forum is amazing, even if you don't have a WS, adjusting the FOV is all there.

Save the site, love the site.

Helmholtz

Not gonna lie, this game needs fixing on the PC asap. Multiplayer seems to be broken. I can connect to one of my friend's games (sometimes), but neither my second friend or I can host. I tried going into the public lobby once and the game completely froze. This GameSpy shit is silly too.

Seems like I can't skip the intro movie, which is super annoying because it's long as hell.

No AA or Vsync options. Menus seem somewhat clunky, but not too bad.

Basically, this game is useless to me until they fix multiplayer. I shouldn't have to mess around with port forwarding and stuff to play. These bugs would be acceptable if the game wasn't delayed a whole week.

For shame, Gearbox.

epmode

JdFoX187 said:
Aside from a few minor problems with the interface, what's so bad about the game on PC? It runs better than the console versions, it looks better than the console versions and doesn't take any work at all to implement V-Sync.
Well, the server browser is one of the worst in recent memory. And it freezes my system for 2+ mintues every time I look for a game (might be a temporary problem due to load).

Other than that, it's a serviceable port in that the game works with no glaring problems. But there's a bunch of those Little Things that make it very clear that consoles had development priority. Like how I'm completely unable to scroll quest text without pressing PAGE UP OR PAGE DOWN or how you have to press the E key to compare weapons/armor instead of just clicking an option in the menu. And for that matter, why do you have to press ANYTHING to compare items? That shit should be onscreen at all times. ...but nope, gotta use the consolized layout.

There are a bunch of other minor niggles with the menu system but nothing gamebreaking. Just disappointing coming from a developer who was so keen on letting everyone know that the PC port was priority 1.

I still like the game and all, I'm just glad that I didn't pay full price.

legend166

The Australian delay is rubbish. Absolutely rubbish. Up until last night it said it was releasing today. They decide to delay it 11 hours before release? For what damn reason?

Wankers.

Zeliard

epmode said:
Well, the server browser is one of the worst in recent memory. And it freezes my system for 2+ mintues every time I look for a game (might be a temporary problem due to load).

Other than that, it's a serviceable port in that the game works with no glaring problems. But there's a bunch of those Little Things that make it very clear that consoles had development priority. Like how I'm completely unable to scroll quest text without pressing PAGE UP OR PAGE DOWN

Dammit. It's a pet peeve of mine when PC games don't support mouse scroll despite it being so obviously beneficial.

POS Fallout 3 Pip-Boy.... :p

explain this one, steam:

160exhd.png

Firestorm

legend166 said:
The Australian delay is rubbish. Absolutely rubbish. Up until last night it said it was releasing today. They decide to delay it 11 hours before release? For what damn reason?

Wankers.
Don't worry, it's basically delayed for me too if this Windows 7 RC bug is true -_-

Smash88

Banned
Mrbob said:
Is there any way to lock this game down at 30fps?

And yeah, I'm going to start assuming all developers are lieing about PC version optimization from now on until proven otherwise. Pitchford was talking up how Gearbox tailored the game on the PC, and he was full of crap.

PC version screams dirty console port.

Haven't you learnt your lesson with BIA:HH. Thank god I didn't buy it immediately, hopefully by the time it gets good, it will be $20-$30 ^_^

Can anyone play any games with friends on the PC version? I can't host or join any game with my friends. Simply disgraceful that they released the pc version like this.

FinKL

Why does it sound like the PS3 Friends list issue ALL OVER AGAIN...

I bet we're glad they didn't release it last Friday all hell would have broken loose.

Still can't wait to try it when I get home, having no co-op is the biggest let down, since I hate single player.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You guys are too much.

The ini Vsync tweak works great as do the FOV bindings. Performance is awesome and I can't say I'm minding the interface at all... I guess these things don't get to me as much as you.

Also awesome:
Alt+Tab works great
Alt + Enter = Windowed mode! Yay!

My big disappointment is I haven't been able to enable AA yet. Will keep trying, but in a coop game now!

Tokubetsu

Hawkian said:
You guys are too much.

The ini Vsync tweak works great as do the FOV bindings. Performance is awesome and I can't say I'm minding the interface at all... I guess these things don't get to me as much as you.

Also awesome:
Alt+Tab works great
Alt + Enter = Windowed mode! Yay!

My big disappointment is I haven't been able to enable AA yet. Will keep trying, but in a coop game now!

How the fuck? I agree with you but i still can't get in a coop game and i fowarded ports!

Don't know what you guys were expecting from a PC version, when they release a version on a fixed platform that has a bug that will gimp your character enough to make it unplayable. You PC suckers had like, a week to bailout.gif.

rc213

So, I have been watching quite a few streams of this on justin.tv.

I loved Fallout 3 PS3, I actually loved just walking around finding new areas and collecting the best weapons/armor/loot.

Would I love this? Any major issues with the PS3 version?

Mrbob

Smash88 said:
Haven't you learnt your lesson with BIA:HH. Thank god I didn't buy it immediately, hopefully by the time it gets good, it will be $20-$30 ^_^

Well, I only paid 33.75 for this game with the steam 4 pack so price isn't an issue.

Never played HH on PC though.

I usually make it a point to avoid Gearbox games in general, but I still think Borderlands can turn into something very cool with some fixes.

Love how people are whining with disappointment for this game.

I played up to level 8 and encountered a bug that is preventing me from playing the game. But the game isn't automatically garbage. The people bitching "oh man I shouldn't have paid for this" or "GLAD I DIDNT BUY THIS" are too much.

News at 11! Game's launch does not go smoothly!

Dipper145

A tip for anyone doing the scavenger quests:
the items appear as a money bag on the compass when you are nearby them
just realized that after searching for the last machine gun part for ages!

Crateman

This are some of the PC tweaks already discovered. Bolded the ones I consider a must for everyone.

Kyodan at the Gearbox forums deserves the credit.

---

To disable the startup movies:
-----------------------------
Within WillowEngine.ini:

Find:
[FullScreenMovie]
StartupMovies=2K_logo
StartupMovies=Gearbox_logo
StartupMovies=NVidia
StartupMovies=Loading
SkippableMovies=2K_logo
SkippableMovies=Gearbox_logo
SkippableMovies=Attract
SkippableMovies=NVidia

and comment out lines like so:

[FullScreenMovie]
;StartupMovies=2K_logo
;StartupMovies=Gearbox_logo
;StartupMovies=NVidia
;StartupMovies=Loading
;SkippableMovies=2K_logo
;SkippableMovies=Gearbox_logo
;SkippableMovies=Attract
;SkippableMovies=NVidia

To adjust FOV (Field of View):
-----------------------------
Within WillowInput.ini:
Search for "WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput". Below the chunk of bindings, add the following:

Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="FOV 90",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F11",Command="FOV 110",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

You can change the keys (F10 and F11) to whatever you'd like, as well as the FOV values.

To disable/adjust weapon view bob:
----------------------------------
Within WillowGame.ini:
Search for "bWeaponBob" and you should come across the following lines:

bWeaponBob=TRUE
Bob=0.005

They should be pretty self explanatory. I can confirm the Bob numerical adjustment does work.

To enable VSync:
-----------------
Within WillowEngine.ini:
Search for "UseVsync" and you should come across the following line:

UseVsync=False

Change to TRUE.

To disable voice chat:
---------------------
Within WillowEngine.ini:
Search for "bHasVoiceEnabled" and you should come across the following line:

bHasVoiceEnabled=True

Change to FALSE.

To enable console:
------------------
Within WillowInput.ini:
Search for "ConsoleKey" and you should come across the following line:

ConsoleKey=

Add 'Tilde' after the equal sign to enable the console (should look like ConsoleKey=Tilde)

To disable mouse smoothing:
----------------------------
Within WillowInput.ini:
Search for "bEnableMouseSmoothing" and you should come across the following line:

bEnableMouseSmoothing=True

Change to FALSE. Should improve the feel of the mouse when looking around and navigating the UI.

Enable Drop Weapon Key:
-------------------------
Within WillowInput.ini:
Search for "WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput". Within that section, search for "ThrowWeapon". By default, it's bound to "Underscore" - I changed mine to V, so it looks like:

Bindings=(Name="V",Command="ThrowWeapon",Control=F alse,Shift=False,Alt=False)

BioNut said:
Do this: Documents/My Games/Borderlands/WillowGame/Config/WillowEngine.ini -> UseVsync = False (change to true)
mandiller said:
Why not just open: Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config\WillowEngine.ini
and change UseVsync=False to UseVsync=True

That's what I saw on the steam forums.

Thanks guys, that helped a lot. I still having tuning to do but it is working MUCH better.

Flunkie

Banned
rc213 said:

I loved Fallout 3 PS3, I actually loved just walking around finding new areas and collecting the best weapons/armor/loot.

Yes. Exact same here. I can't speak for the PS3 version, just the game as a whole.

Alex

I've yet to have a problem on the PC version, myself. XP Home, E8400, 4GB ram, 8800 GTX 768.

Considering moving to Windows 7 soon, though. Hope that doesnt' bite me in the ass.

rc213 said:

I think you would like it.

As for problems:

Framerate can be pretty uneven, at times, nothing horrific, but uneven is a good word. That's all I encountered myself after they fixed the Friends List. I had heard mics dont work too well, though.

I had it drop to an utter slideshow at one point on PS3, but I watched someone drop to the same slideshow on the 360 version at the same part (which typically ran better) so I dunno if it was just a bad spot with console code, or what. It's on that big junk tower in the second part of the first area. I never encountered anything like that again, but it was annoying as it's like the game was being rendered on a flip book. :lol

The game has the same typical bit of bethesda/bioware-type WRPG bugs that you may or may not encounter at all on all platforms, though. I think I'm just lucky or something. Never had a bug in ME360 or PC, never had a bug in FO3 360 and havent had a bug outside of the PS3 friends list in BL PS3 or PC.

SlickVic said:
Yea I saw copies of Borderlands PC at a local mom-and-pop store last week so I imagine they were all shipped at the same time to stores. The thing is SecuROM blocked retail copies from activating till today. Pretty lame.
They werent at gamestops at the same time. They were there many days later.. like towards the end of the week on Friday.

Alex

speculawyer said:
How do I get voice chat to work?

And what is with the primitive options? . . . what is this . . a console game?

Yeah, the features and options on PC are pretty anemic, it's not the worst of the worst, but you can tell they barely expanded on the options menu compared to a console game. Also, the lack of good mouse controls in the menus annoy me. And the PGUP/PGDN shit for quests? Silly, let me scroll!

Although as someone who hates voice chat, I GREEEEATTLYYYY appreciate the text chat addition.

Id love to get it on PC and game with you people :( But my PC I doubt will be able to take it..

Nvidia Geforce 7900
Athlon 64 X2 6000+
2GB of Ram

Pretty shatty :(

Teknoman

Valru said:
WTF
no.

it runs fantastic minus a few problems
-no aa settng option in menu (not uncommon for unreal 3)
-no vsync option
-a few minor control issues ie pgup/pgdown to scroll quest description (i havent run in to this, scroll wheel works fine for me if cursor is over discription)

This. The game is not a shitty port in any sense of the word. Also are you guys getting tearing in the game as well? Or just the early parts? I havent seen any aside from the early cutscenes.

Also game really comes alive with 4 players. And you can mouse scroll in the menus.

PC version still looks the best and runs the best. No crazy slowdown no matter how hectic things get. Pretty nice netcode wise as well.

ev1js2.png

5z4go6.png

2nr1zlj.png

And just like in Diablo, good loot is really random. You can have crappy drops the entire game, mixed, or good luck all around. The more players in game, the more chances of good drops.

Uncle AJ

15-second timeout timer always runs out when trying to connect to Gods_Beard. I have a game up - see if any of you guys can join, just to make sure I'm not completely fucked.

Zzoram

rc213 said:

I have the PS3 version and I've played single player and splitscreen. No major problems there, but there were some initial issues, mostly fixed, with joining online games hosted by people on your friend's list (seems like the PC has similar issues now). The performance is good, the only times I really noticed slowdown were splitscreen when ~10 enemies were rushing us and there were elemental effects.

Teknoman

Shalashaska161 said:
Can anyone play any games with friends on the PC version? I can't host or join any game with my friends. Simply disgraceful that they released the pc version like this.

Gamespy ID is needed, not Steam. It works like Unreal Tournament III.

Grecco

MidnightRider said:
It's an awesome Easter Egg.

Everytime you go down there you get all of this crazy weapons......

You can quit out and come back.....

It's a building that randomly opens up for ONE part of the game.

When you start the "Another piece of the puzzle" mission. Don't go kill the Rakk Hive. Instead.... go back to New Haven and search all of the buildings lower right hand side of the map. One will have a door that will open when you get near it. Go inside and ride the elevator down to the basement.

I found this. Its an awesom easter eggs.

Teknoman said:
This. The game is not a shitty port in any sense of the word. Also are you guys getting tearing in the game as well? Or just the early parts? I havent seen any aside from the early cutscenes.

Also game really comes alive with 4 players. And you can mouse scroll in the menus.

PC version still looks the best and runs the best. No crazy slowdown no matter how hectic things get. Pretty nice netcode wise as well.

http://i37.tinypic.com/ev1js2.png[/IMG]
http://i36.tinypic.com/5z4go6.png[/IMG]
http://i35.tinypic.com/2nr1zlj.png[/IMG]

And just like in Diablo, good loot is really random. You can have crappy drops the entire game, mixed, or good luck all around. The more players in game, the more chances of good drops.

Never realized until your first picture that there is a huge Skag skeleton in the valley.

And your sentiments match mine exactly. Game is GREAT, love exploring. I had a few great loot drops, guns, shields, and otherwise.

Now just need this Windows 7 bug to get fixed...

Zzoram

Dipper145 said:
A tip for anyone doing the scavenger quests:
the items appear as a money bag on the compass when you are nearby them
just realized that after searching for the last machine gun part for ages!

Wow I didn't know this!

Teknoman

Mo the Hawk said:
15-second timeout timer always runs out when trying to connect to Gods_Beard. I have a game up - see if any of you guys can join, just to make sure I'm not completely fucked.

You have to play in host mode if you want others to join. Its not drop in drop out in the sense that you can play standard SP mode and let people jump in.

Top Bottom