• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

eznark

Banned
Hawkian said:
Yeah, it sort of seems like it's tough to get Nick personally excited about anything.

Just for that I pledge to make one of each class except soldier :lol
Don't worry, the Idle Thumbs hate will migrate to the Demon's Souls thread soon enough. Chris dared tweet that he wasn't digging the game.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I would prefer to get this on PC. Has Gearbox said anything officially lately about requirements? I have a P4 3.4 GHZ with 2GB of RAM and an 8600GT on Windows XP. I ran the UT3 demo decently.

tiong_fi

Wow, the game's coming out in a week and I still can't decide between the 360 and PC versions. Does anyone know if the PC version has LAN multiplayer or is it limited to online only? Also, is the online play in the PC version limited to matchmaking or does it have a server browser?

eznark

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
I would prefer to get this on PC. Has Gearbox said anything officially lately about requirements? I have a P4 3.4 GHZ with 2GB of RAM and an 8600GT on Windows XP. I ran the UT3 demo decently.
From Steam:
System Requirements
Processor: 2.4 Ghz or equivalent processor
Memory: 1GB System RAM (2GB recommended with Vista)
Graphics: 256mb video ram or better (GeForce 8 series or higher/Radeon R8xx series)
Hard Drive: 8 GB or more free space
Sound: Windows compatible sound card

tiong_fi said:
Wow, the game's coming out in a week and I still can't decide between the 360 and PC versions. Does anyone know if the PC version has LAN multiplayer or is it limited to online only? Also, is the online play in the PC version limited to matchmaking or does it have a server browser?

According to this, there is LAN multiplayer. I'm not sure if there will be a browser though, since there is no dedicated servers for the game.

TwIsTeD

got the game in early at my PT job so i went up and played it for about 20 mins, split screen co-op is great and the presentation so far is better than expected, sadly with soo many other holiday choices borderlands is gonna be a next year reduced purchase when i have more time to give it

Artadius

Mikey Jr. said:
Holy shit, when are we getting reviews? Like, from the major sites. Less than a week and barely anything.

I'm pretty sure there's a review in the latest Game Informer... but noone's seen the issue yet. According to their site they shipped out yesterday. So maybe today...

Chinner said:
Okay guys, for some reason this game was not on my radar and I only seen it mentioned like 3 times. What I'm wondering is, what is the hook of this game? Also, is there a SP and is the story generally like?

the op might help with that :D

Teknopathetic said:
"It was aggro ping ponging to the 3 different players who were wrecking it at the time. Honestly I think people are trying to make hay out of this who have never played a game like wow or diablo. It was a big scag that acted just like every other scag we had seen up to that point."

Played both. Diablo doesn't use a threat/aggro mechanic.

I didn't mean to say it did. But if you played wow, you honestly can't see that this thing was ping ponging? You seem to be deliberately ignoring rational explanations.

"I didn't mean to say it did. But if you played wow, you honestly can't see that this thing was ping ponging? You seem to be deliberately ignoring rational explanations."

I'd like to think that I'm actually giving the game the benefit of the doubt by assuming that it's a matter of faulty AI (potentially fixable) and not just a bad design decision (MMO threat in an FPS/Action RPG).

poweld

Teknopathetic said:
I'd like to think that I'm actually giving the game the benefit of the doubt by assuming that it's a matter of faulty AI (potentially fixable) and not just a bad design decision (MMO threat in an FPS/Action RPG).
I don't see how MMO(RPG) threat levels in an FPS/Action RPG is a problem at all. However, it should stick, as someone mentioned before, for some minimum amount of time to avoid running in circles. Seems like it'd be a pretty easy fix to me.

The Quick Look certainly re-raised my expectations. Although I'm still skeptical of the overall scope of this game: navigating narrow corridors while shooting not-so-intelligent-AI enemies. Hopefully the leveling system and loot will be enough to hold interest.

Jeff was having fun though, and that's enough endorsement for me to spend a mere $33.

garath

elrechazao said:
I didn't mean to say it did. But if you played wow, you honestly can't see that this thing was ping ponging? You seem to be deliberately ignoring rational explanations.

It was also being staggered by the constant gunfire. I would assume that major bosses (not mini-bosses) would not be staggered and therefore actually reach an opponent to hit them. Not to mention some bosses will certainly have ranged attacks.

It was basically a glorified Skag that went down in ~10 seconds from superior gunfire. The AI really didn't get to do anything other than get riddled with bullets.

Teknopathetic said:
"I didn't mean to say it did. But if you played wow, you honestly can't see that this thing was ping ponging? You seem to be deliberately ignoring rational explanations."

What basis do you have for
1. assuming that threat isn't in the game, when there is a specific tanking character (tanking means holding aggro in multiple player groups) just to name one example
2. Calling the use of threat in this game a bad design decision, yet claiming that you're giving it the benefit of the doubt? It's been clear for some time now that this game would have the mechanic, and there are good gameplay reasons for it to be there, so what problem do you have with it?

I'd hate to see what you'd be saying if you weren't giving it the benefit of the doubt...

PoweredBySoy said:
I actually thought it worked pretty well in Army of Two. And without aggro, what's the point of Brick?

Exactly

"I don't see how MMO(RPG) threat levels in an FPS/Action RPG is a problem at all. However, it should stick, as someone mentioned before, for some minimum amount of time to avoid running in circles. Seems like it'd be a pretty easy fix to me."

For one it causes goofy shit like what we're talking about now. Secondly, it seems pointless. I don't see anything that would imply that there's threat management in the game, everyone has rechargable shields, second wind, and health packs.

"I actually thought it worked pretty well in Army of Two. And without aggro, what's the point of Brick?"

I don't actually see anything that says Brick has anything to control or increase his threat to enemies. Which leads me to believe that the game *doesn't* actually use a threat mechanic.

"What basis do you have for
1. assuming that threat isn't in the game, when there is a specific tanking character (tanking means holding aggro in multiple player groups) just to name one example
2. Calling the use of threat in this game a bad design decision, yet claiming that you're giving it the benefit of the doubt? It's been clear for some time now that this game would have the mechanic, and there are good gameplay reasons for it to be there, so what problem do you have with it?"

1. See above.
2. See above.

Artadius said:
I'm pretty sure there's a review in the latest Game Informer... but noone's seen the issue yet. According to their site they shipped out yesterday. So maybe today...

They need to hurry up and get my mag to me damn it!

Klyka

Banned
It was a level 16, level 10, level 8 and level 7 group shooting at a level 8 mini-boss and you people are actually saying it "should have done more!"???

The level 16 alone took of 3/4 of Scar's health in ONE SECOND. God, for being on a gaming forum we have SO many people who seem like they never,ever played games before here.

poweld

Teknopathetic said:
For one it causes goofy shit like what we're talking about now. Secondly, it seems pointless. I don't see anything that would imply that there's threat management in the game, everyone has rechargable shields, second wind, and health packs.
I'll agree that it may not be necessary, and it may very well not be how the game is designed to work. I guess my point of contention was just that it doesn't seem implausible.

If it was in there and implemented correctly, it wouldn't make much of a difference from just having hordes attack the nearest player (see: Diablo).

elrechazao said:

But that doesn't necessarily mean I think Gearbox has included aggro in the game. Like Tek said, the fact that Brick, the perfectly cliched example of a tank, doesn't have any talents that affect, or even mention, aggro, seems to imply they haven't included the mechanic.

I guess my comment was more of a statement against Gearbox's reasoning than anything. I think a game like this would greatly benefit from an aggro mechanic, and Brick seems to be the perfect tank.

So assuming there is no aggro, what's the point of Brick then (aside from wanting to roleplay the big juggernaut)? Is he more or less just insurance against a full party wipe - being the last man standing in order to revive the fallen other 3?

Artadius

For those worried about difficulty, many many times last night on the live broadcast that was playing...

Guy encountered a major boss in an old factory or something, huge boss (not end game still though, I think he was level 18?) and he died about four or five times before he found a workable tactic to get him down. The boss was constantly on his ass ready to take down a third of his life per hit. Later on, the player had some distance on the boss so the boss started lobbing grenades at him instead. The player NEVER had more than one or two quick seconds to aim and fire. It was pretty intense.

Another part the player took part in some gladiator type quests where he entered an arena he couldn't leave and a pack of scags were released. Kill them or be killed. Again took him a few tries to adapt his tactics to figure out a good way to take them down and finally prevailed. He (against warnings from the two Gearbox devs in the room at the time) chose the next match which was three or four levels higher than him and promptly got the floor mopped in his blood a few times.

This game is not easy and the mobs are often very relentless.

-------------

Re: Threat. There is obviously some sort of threat mechanic whether it is an aggro meter or something more simple... but you can see multiple instances of mobs peeling off targets because of damage or other reasons.

Rahk

I don't really see the appeal of soldier. Have fun watching your turret shoot things while I'm running around invisible, 1 hit killing enemies with a phase slap and dizzying the rest with a phase blast.

PoweredBySoy said:
I actually thought it worked pretty well in Army of Two. And without aggro, what's the point of Brick?
He has a bunch of skills that improve his proficiency with melee and explosive weapons. You could skip his health bonuses and other tank related skills completely and you would still have a character that is fun to play and helpful for the team. Plus, as already stated he has no skills that even attract aggro, so I'm not sure how that would even work.

MMaRsu

Klyka said:
It was a level 16, level 10, level 8 and level 7 group shooting at a level 8 mini-boss and you people are actually saying it "should have done more!"???

The level 16 alone took of 3/4 of Scar's health in ONE SECOND. God, for being on a gaming forum we have SO many people who seem like they never,ever played games before here.

:lol exactly what I was going to say

Haunted

Rahk said:
I don't really see the appeal of soldier. Have fun watching your turret shoot things while I'm running around invisible, 1 hit killing enemies with a phase slap and dizzying the rest with a phase blast..
I thought the Siren had the phase powers.

MMaRsu said:
:lol exactly what I was going to say
On board in the Borderlands and Brütal Legend thread? Good man, good man.

So after seeing the gameplay videos and playing with the talent calculators, what character does everything think they'll play?

Right now I'm leaning towards Siren myself. I rarely ever play a female character, but I like her daze and phase abilities. I'm also, in rpg's, usually drawn to the least played class - so while I'd pick Roland, I'm guessing there's going to be a million of them running around.

MMaRsu

Haunted said:
I thought the Siren had the phase powers.

On board in the Borderlands and Brütal Legend thread? Good man, good man.

Who do you think he's talking about? :p

Oh and hell yeah man! Borderlands is going to be sweet. Plus I'd rather give money to companies with good new idea's then the endless sequel churning companies ( Activision )

Haunted

PoweredBySoy said:
So after seeing the gameplay videos and playing with the talent calculators, what character does everything think they'll play?

Right now I'm leaning towards Siren myself. I rarely ever play a female character, but I like her daze and phase abilities. I'm also, in rpg's, usually drawn to the least played class - so while I'd pick Roland, I'm guessing there's going to be a million of them running around.
I usually go with the warrior/power/barbarian class, but I'm not sold on the melee-oriented gameplay of Brick, which is why I'm currently thinking about going in with Mordecai.

I guess it depends on whether the Hunter's completely focused on sniping and long-distance shots, or if he's also reliable at half-range.

MMaRsu said:
Who do you think he's talking about? :p

Oh and yeah hell yeah!
Oh shit, I totally misread his comment. :lol

MMaRsu

Haunted said:
I usually go with the warrior/power/barbarian class, but I'm not sold on the melee-oriented gameplay of Brick, which is why I'm currently thinking about going in with Mordecai.

I guess it depends on whether the Hunter's completely focused on sniping and long-distance shots, or if he's also reliable at half-range.

Oh shit, I totally misread his comment. :lol

I think so.. :p. Hey do you have an avatar randomizer going on? And do I even have you on XBL? If not, I should :p.

There's no point in being anything but the soldier. 3/4 Rolands at once for secret battle tactic: turret phalanx. Everybody stands in the middle and makes a circle from the turrets with no gaps. 4x health regen, 4x ammo regen, the unstoppable 8 gun 360 degrees of death formation with 100% immunity to close range attacks. If everyone has 100% cooldown reduction it's even more ridiculous.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Rahk said:
I don't really see the appeal of soldier. Have fun watching your turret shoot things while I'm running around invisible, 1 hit killing enemies with a phase slap and dizzying the rest with a phase blast.

He's basically the all-around basic character. Seems like the best choice for solo play given his ability to recharge his hp and ammo. He's got a lot of co-op based abilities too. Nothing that particularly stands out or makes him unique, but he's got a damn good balance of abilities.

Here I am in the mix of playing Brutal Legends and Uncharted 2 and I totally space it that Borderlands is coming next week. Holy FUCK! My backlog is gonna be a bitch.

God's Beard said:
There's no point in being anything but the soldier. 3/4 Rolands at once for secret battle tactic: turret phalanx. Everybody stands in the middle and makes a circle from the turrets with no gaps. 4x health regen, 4x ammo regen, the unstoppable 8 gun 360 degrees of death formation with 100% immunity to close range attacks. If everyone has 100% cooldown reduction it's even more ridiculous.

=(

Roland has the best solo abilities and the best abilities for co-op. The best combination of players is probably 3 rolands with 1 mordecai for heavy long range damage. Brick and Lilith are only there for people that REALLY REALLY like punching or shocking things.

1 roland = corner phalanx
2 roland = wall phalanx
3 roland = aww yeah unlimited phalanx

MMaRsu

God's Beard said:

but thats boring...

Rahk

God's Beard said:
Roland has the best solo abilities and the best abilities for co-op. The best combination of players is probably 3 rolands with 1 mordecai for heavy long range damage. Brick and Lilith are only there for people that REALLY REALLY like punching or shocking things.

1 roland = corner phalanx
2 roland = wall phalanx
3 roland = aww yeah unlimited phalanx
:lol

This is probably true, but I'd rather play for fun rather than get through the game as efficiently as possible.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Rahk said:
I don't really see the appeal of soldier.

Talk to God's Beard. (and I mean the GAF poster btw) :lol

EDIT: WOW, so beaten. Also, @ turret phalanx: :eek:

Like Tek said, the fact that Brick, the perfectly cliched example of a tank, doesn't have any talents that affect, or even mention, aggro, seems to imply they haven't included the mechanic.

His talents might mention aggro, but an entire branch of his skill tree is "Tank." I think it's more than safe to assume that, even if there isn't an mmorpg-style threat/aggro system, there is something that resembles it in practice.

This will be my first character: http://i38.tinypic.com/1zn5soh.png (thought about posting the image but just for space's sake I have not)

According to God's Beard's Calculations, assuming 6 enemies are present, one throw of my bloodwing will net me:

-Up to 30 pieces of loot
-6 guaranteed stuns
-420% single attack damage converted to health

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Glad to hear there are gladiator type arena quests in the game! Also good to know that the difficulty's there.

Pre-ordered last night on Steam.

OOH OOH OOH!!! I thought of another one!

Multiple Roland battle tactic 2: Demon Wall
for use in caves and valleys, line up turrets to seal off a path completely and either fire from behind cover or use a pincer attack and fire at the enemy's back while they're occupied. In thin enough areas(2 turret widths or less), multiple paths can be sealed with 4 rolands. Most advanced application would be to use 4 turrets to encase a single enemy without the ability to jump for guaranteed, inescapable death.

Based on early abilities and potential, I can assume that a 4 roland squad has the best chance of conquering the end-game at sub-20 levels.

I think it's probably waaaaaay too soon to be taking tactics yet.

Hawkian said:
I think it's more than safe to assume that, even if there isn't an mmorpg-style threat/aggro system, there is something that resembles it in practice.

I certainly hope so.

mb21jt.jpg

JESUS CHRIST!

Top Bottom