• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

dorkimoe said:
does anyone remember where that cave is with the
elemental dudes? I know it was a mission, you take the mine shaft elevator down and then there it is.
i dont remember which area of the game it was in

anyone?

middle of dahl

Firestorm said:
Ouch do you have enough bandwidth to even download it again?

Thankfully I'm an ii.net customer so I can use their mirrors for Steam and it's all in the free zone. It's just another smh moment for me with regard to the PC version of the game. When I get it I'm sure it will be great, and all will be forgiven, but they really screwed the release badly imo.

Here are the issues I've had with the PS3 version, and the solutions:

Issue: Controller/profile settings do not save after you quit the game or load a new game
Solution: You controller is currently assigned to "controller 2". Maybe you left your joystick plugged in, I don't know. The game will correctly save profile settings (controller config, sensitivity, brightness) if you assign your controller to "controller 1". I deleted my profile settings and uninstalled the game a bunch of times before figuring this one out.

Issue: There is sound stutter or the sound cuts our entirely (go find some racs...you'll see)
Solution: You are probably using 5.1 over the PS3 optical audio out. Either drop it down to 2 channel over optical, or try using HDMI to get your sound. I am unable to test if HDMI 5.1 suffers the same problem. I'm enjoying some nice Pro Logic II until there is a patch.

Issue: Framerate problems
Solution: I didn't seem to have overt framerate issues after switching to 2 channel sound. This can probably be attributed to choppy audio causing you to perceive what your seeing as choppy. Or maybe there was a performance boost.

Anyways, I am fairly happy with the how the game is playing now, whereas before I was filled with anger. Now that this stuff is out of the way, I'm free to enjoy a really good game.

Blizzard

Banned
As for the suggestion that "This is a PC release and PC releases always have problems like that", I'd disagree. I've played a good many PC games, even some new releases, and America's Army 3 is the only recent one I can think of with so many immediate problems, or at least, online ones.

I'm sorry to make so many updates, but I keep adding information. I just tried the game in Windows Vista RC 64-bit, on my other partition (which I haven't even used in a while, making it HIGHLY unlikely that this is a virus issue). I was able to run the game, and get into an online game (one of them...several timed out, and the one I got into had like 1-2 second lag until anything worked like jumping or ironsights aiming).

But the friends list problem STILL remains. Here are three screenshots I took, from a video I recorded of part of my screen. Here's what happens in order when I try to add someone as a friend and then HOVER over the OK button:

52jtpv.jpg

25gh4ll.jpg

rcodo6.jpg

Also, verifying the game cache in Steam didn't help. Creating a new GameSpy ID from within Borderlands itself didn't help.

To recap for anyone who missed the other posts, Google doesn't have this error anywhere on the internet, turning the firewall off doesn't help, I'm using Avast and it doesn't have a firewall, direct connecting myself to my cable modem instead of through a router doesn't help, etc.

Grecco

Just killed Baron Flyn. He drops a gun dcalled the boomstick a blue level gun. Im disapointed. :lol

anyone know where the magazine is in Scavenger Machine Gun?

MMaRsu

YES MY ORDER HAS SHIPPED. Should have it in two or three days. WOOHOOOOOOOO

Who wants to start a new game with me? <3

I grinned at the "Speedy McSpeederton" achievement as I had coincidentally named my character McShootguns.

I love dropping into other people's games who are way ahead of me. You get tons of XP+money, can snag some useful weapons, and also, it's pretty crazy. Skags will kill you in three seconds. Eventually we went up against this Sledge character. Went "RAAWR" in the intro and I thought I was screwed what with having been completely torn apart by the lowliest of enemies earlier. Two seconds after the introduction, he was dead. I don't even know what happened, except that I got two achievements for just kind of standing there.

Getting people to join my private games has been pretty iffy, but I found out that starting a single player game and then inviting friends into it seems to work. There's a lot of annoying little problems with the PC version but damn the game is so addicting. I ended up playing for over 10 hours yesterday with M.J. Doja. Good times.

Daigoro

someone joined our game the other night. he was level 255. (360 version)

apparently thats the highest level you can hack to according to the kid. i didnt stay in that game for too long.

I really hope this inspires other developers to make like games. Something like this but with towns like guild wars would be awesome. Keep the action to four players. Towns with auction houses. Maybe add some more gear like armor and what not. Maybe some random dungeons. One can dream.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
strx said:
I really hope this inspires other developers to make like games. Something like this but with towns like guild wars would be awesome. Keep the action to four players. Towns with auction houses. Maybe add some more gear like armor and what not. Maybe some random dungeons. One can dream.

Ya I've wanted game like this for ages.

Anyway, I want to start up a new character. Anyone down for a game? My Steam ID is tetsuo_2k, gamespy ID Tetsuo2k.

dorkimoe

beat it tonight level 36

only 2 complaints

1) the rocket launchers are worthless
2) the birds...they attack you and then fly away before you can even see them, they are so buggy

Teknoman

dorkimoe said:
beat it tonight level 36

only 2 complaints

2) the birds...they attack you and then fly away before you can even see them, they are so buggy

Thats the point. They divebomb you to get you to leave em alone. You can usually shoot them then keep shooting as they approach. They dont have much hp. Dunno about the launchers though, just found one today.

Volcynika

Ugh. I just wanted to play online with friends and it still doesn't work with all the tweaking. Delay the PC version a week for no reason, then have some shitty ass bs about having to jump through hoops just to play online with people. Me and like 7 friends can only connect to one person's game even with all this port forwarding stuff (which we really shouldn't have to do). Eh.

I just hope it gets fixed really soon. Game's fun though.

Woo-Fu

Banned
dorkimoe said:
beat it tonight level 36

only 2 complaints

Birds give audio cues whenever you enter their territory. Soon as you hear the screech switch to your weapon wit the highest RoF and start scanning the skies. If you have an explosive weapon RoF isn't that important because you can wait till they're close and the explosion will take out all of them.

Rocket Launchers are somewhat useful against turrets. :)

Grecco

I just got Find Steele

how close am i to the end? i dont wanna finish the game and not be able to get all of the clap traps.

Wag

Anyone figure out how to stop walking bob/weapon bob completely? The up/down motion of the weapon while walking is giving me motion sickness. When I tried the "tweak" nothing I did seemed to work.

Dipper145

Grecco said:
Just killed Baron Flyn. He drops a gun dcalled the boomstick a blue level gun. Im disapointed. :lol

anyone know where the magazine is in Scavenger Machine Gun?
2 are on top of buildings 1 is on top of a silo, 1 is up a ramp near the entrance.

If anyone needs help with any scavenger mission:
the items appear as cash bags on the compass when you get near them

Xevren

Grecco said:
I just got Find Steele

how close am i to the end? i dont wanna finish the game and not be able to get all of the clap traps.

You're at the end.

Once you beat it you can still go about the world to find clap traps so that's not a problem.

teekun

Grecco said:
I just got Find Steele

That's the final quest, but it's probably the longest quest in the game. I think you have to get through three separate areas before you reach the final boss.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
i think im hopelessly addicted to this game.
i've gotten a hunter up to 27 and a siren to 24, and so far I've had no desire to play co-op. There are definitely things I could complain about, but I've been playing this game A LOT and loving every minute of it.

Just got the game yesterday and im already level 14. Needless to say im loving it. Im on the PS3 and I dont know if im doing something wrong or if this is a bug. I turn in a mission and im offered another one, press X to accept or press O to cancel and ill press O and it still accepts it. Am I missing something?

Grecco

teekun said:
That's the final quest, but it's probably the longest quest in the game. I think you have to get through three separate areas before you reach the final boss.

Damn. Just to get that quest you have to get to three different buildings. IMO the last couple of areas are severely lacking in quests... Salt flats for instance had 2 quests total.

Phew. Followed the port forwarding instructions and was able to act as host! Played online co-op for close to six hours today. No disconnects at all. I'm addicted.

swoon

so apparently [spoilers]See Jiyt Tabbus[/spoilers] glitched on me? did this happen to anyone else? i can't trigger this mission anyone more and i've finished all the rust common missions

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
KoruptData said:
Just got the game yesterday and im already level 14. Needless to say im loving it. Im on the PS3 and I dont know if im doing something wrong or if this is a bug. I turn in a mission and im offered another one, press X to accept or press O to cancel and ill press O and it still accepts it. Am I missing something?
It's kinda weird, but I think when you see a new mission it automatically takes it. When you press X to accept it makes the mission your current mission and changes your current waypoints. Pressing circle just keeps the mission you already had active before.

teekun

Grecco said:
Damn. Just to get that quest you have to get to three different buildings. IMO the last couple of areas are severely lacking in quests... Salt flats for instance had 2 quests total.

I just treated them like final dungeons. The Salt Flats is definitely lacking, but the areas off of it aren't really intended to be quest hubs of any sort.

Deadly

I just hosted a game and my friend joined with no problems at all. I forwarded the ports that were posted previously but maybe proximity also comes into play?

So wait, what were the once-in-a-lifetime loot grabs people were talking about? The basement of some level that is only open for a certain moment? What are other good hidden spots?

chubigans said:
It's kinda weird, but I think when you see a new mission it automatically takes it. When you press X to accept it makes the mission your current mission and changes your current waypoints. Pressing circle just keeps the mission you already had active before.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

Red

OK, I'm at level 16, still using the same incendiary sniper I've had equipped since level 8, along with a fully automatic pistol (42 attack power) and a ridiculous revolver that's been knocking out just about every enemy in one or two hits (120 attack, +42% damage increase). I have an incendiary sniper with a 128 attack rating that's not usable until level 25, but I don't think I'm even going to find a use for it :lol

The game's a lot of fun. Stopped playing right before the fight with Sledge, just picked up a shield with nearly 350 points and a 42 recharge rate. Gotta take a break to catch some sleep.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Add me to the list of bummed PC owners than can't play online with my friends. I connected to one friend today, and he brought the wrong guy in, so we quit, and could never hook up again. So lame.

EekTheKat

Very disappointed that phase strike isn't working for sirens, though if I did the math right the damage from it still isn't enough to be of value at level 50.

Also there seems to be some question as to whether or not silent resolve is working as well, one dev over on the boards say it is but there are some tests in PvE where it seems like it's not actually working at all.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I beat Sledge with my group even though I didn't have the quest yet :lol Good practice.

Then I hooked up with a different group after Dash had to leave. Thanks to God's Beard, Tyler, and MoTheHawk for a sweet looting session in some caves that I was WAY underpowered for at 17. Could barely contribute, but I soaked up lots of XPs and goodies :-x

I am joining the "hopelessly addicted" train. With hold-to-crouch, the fov fix, my new Razer mouse, smoothing disabled, and the ability to host (at least Public games. Try this if you haven't yet, I still don't seem to be able to host private games, but just same it something odd, or if you know you can get four friends together it doesn't matter), I don't predict the ability to stop playing this game will be acquired anytime soon. :lol

Still, I hope fervently for the sake of all that a patch is released post-haste to take care of some of the issues plaguing this release.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Just got through playing a bit as Brick solo. All I have to say is that this game is considerably more fun co-op :lol

JoeFu

Banned
Anybody done with the first place and heading to the second? I want to find a gaf group to play with!

EDIT: PC version.

Blizzard

Banned
Redownloaded the entire 7GB or whatever, still having the same problem. Whee!

When you go to your friends list (I show up on their lists, but mine is empty) is it supposed to say "Offline" on the right side? It also says my microphone is deactivated and I'm not sure if I did that. Also my stats say -- -- but I haven't played any so that's probably normal.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
omg

Orange shotgun that does 111x9 and has a ton of shots before reloading. I just killed a boss with it and got like 60K exp, almost got me all the way from 49 to 50. :lol

Tobor

pedr0theli0n said:
i think im hopelessly addicted to this game.
i've gotten a hunter up to 27 and a siren to 24, and so far I've had no desire to play co-op. There are definitely things I could complain about, but I've been playing this game A LOT and loving every minute of it.
This is exactly how I feel. I might play co-op at some point, but I like learning the maps solo first.

All I need is my Bloodwing, my sniper rifle, and my hand cannon.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Aaaand level 50! I have 8 million dollars, an awesome shield that has a capacity of 1500, and I just got the challenge for killing 1000 enemies with corrosive attacks. Yay.

Swag

Papercuts said:
Aaaand level 50! I have 8 million dollars, an awesome shield that has a capacity of 1500, and I just got the challenge for killing 1000 enemies with corrosive attacks. Yay.

Congratulations, I'm guessing your playing as a Siren? If you are I have a question, my Siren is level 24 atm and I have some mediocre guns, it seems from looking at the talent trees that I'm supposed to be using elemental weapons but the game isn't really supplying them in abundance. Does it pick up at a certain point or am I hoping for too much

As someone who has been struggling to play the PC version online with a friend all day, do I reason to hope that Gearbox will provide some sort of patch or workaround?

Top Bottom