• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Nose Master

So, is there a claptrap I'm missing in Arid Highlands? There's no available quests, yet I still haven't gotten that achievement for completing them all :(. Got the one around the shock crystals and by Sledge.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sebulon3k said:
Congratulations, I'm guessing your playing as a Siren? If you are I have a question, my Siren is level 24 atm and I have some mediocre guns, it seems from looking at the talent trees that I'm supposed to be using elemental weapons but the game isn't really supplying them in abundance. Does it pick up at a certain point or am I hoping for too much

I started getting nothing but constant drops of them, so yeah it should pick up. Even though people say to use SMGs with her I used Assault Rifles and Shotguns most of the time, though I had corrosive versions of each. Either way I had the phasewalk do elemental damage for me if I was using normal stuff.

Tokubetsu

Explosive element weapons are the best kinda weapons. I think I just ruined my pants. Watching people explode after a burst of SMG fire is like a wetdream come true.

Finally got around to playing this tonight with my friend/roommate. It's awesome. Lost six hours of time and didn't even know it. Love split-screen, and it's a shame that less and less games are using it.

Grecco

I kind of wish there was more 'endgame' type stuff. Maybe more quests in Trash Coast/Salt Fields

but damn some of the stuff leading to the final boss is so epic in scope. I loved it. Definetly my game of the year. Maybe my favorite game this gen. Even with the messed up ending.

Started a seccond playthrough already and ill definetly be there day one for the DLC. Hope theres lots of it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tokubetsu said:
Explosive element weapons are the best kinda weapons. I think I just ruined my pants. Watching people explode after a burst of SMG fire is like a wetdream come true.

Just got me one of those. It's quite satisfying.

L4Demo2 just started re-pre-loading, wtf?

Wonder when I'll get around to that.

Okay I thought this was cool so I took a screenshot of the weapon and video.. Its so fast.. so good! Also have a shot of the Legendary I found the other day.. its nice :)

This Repeater is just so damn fast.. and has shock properties.. Not insane in dmg.. but the burst is crazy..

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBNaWSn7ssM
(20 rounds in like 3 seconds)

Picture:
11s2rvc.jpg

Legendary I found the other day.. Unlimited Ammo.. so good

24eqjjp.jpg

Xevren

I have a lvl 33 repeater like that also, unloads the clip in just a couple seconds...crazy. Got a revolver that has the ammo regen to where it's impossible to run out, so awesome :D

TheFallen

TurtleSnatcher said:
Okay I thought this was cool so I took a screenshot of the weapon and video.. Its so fast.. so good! Also have a shot of the Legendary I found the other day.. its nice :)

This Repeater is just so damn fast.. and has shock properties.. Not insane in dmg.. but the burst is crazy..
I had that Repeater on my Hunter for the longest time, it rocks! I eventually replaced it with a similar repeater that had Fire elemental damage. Wasn't as fast (but close) and did far more damage and proc'd a heck of a lot more.

Got online to work today. It's a vastly superior experience to single player.

Does only the host gain new quest-related things?

The person I've been playing with since the beginning has three gun slots, but I still only have two despite barely being a level lower.

Nose Master said:
So, is there a claptrap I'm missing in Arid Highlands? There's no available quests, yet I still haven't gotten that achievement for completing them all :(. Got the one around the shock crystals and by Sledge.

Talk to Shep, he might have one that you missed.

Swag

ShockingAlberto said:
Got online to work today. It's a vastly superior experience to single player.

Does only the host gain new quest-related things?

The person I've been playing with since the beginning has three gun slots, but I still only have two despite barely being a level lower.

The gun slot unlocks are Quest based, I believe they only unlock once certain quests have been completed,
Sledge
, is the one that gives the third gun unlock I think.

Hit level 19 tonight. This game really is a lot of fun.

One minor, minor complaint (it might even be a good thing upon further introspection):

People who just start out the game can level up insanely quick if they tag along with higher levels. Example: Took me 5+ hours to get to level 12ish alone. Took my buddy playing with level 19-20s 2.5 hours to get to level 15.

Ouchies.

Psy-Phi

I finally found the game to take me away from Demon's Souls. And I just made use of Best Buy's B2G1 free today, still ended up just playing Borderlands when I got home (PC). Yes GameSpy sucks, and the inventory needs a little help. But this game reminds me of the fun in Diablo II. Playing with my friends for hours on end in another loot whoring game is too awesome.

Funny that the guys behind it said the PC version would be the definitive one. I think not. The console heritage shows through a bit too much in the navigation interface and lack of options that PC gamers are used to (no vsync...really? no multisampling either? no disabling of mouse smoothing? At least we can disable auto aim. But they really need to patch in all the tweaks people are hacking in the ini).

UFRA

Well after a friend of mine constantly bombarded me with info on this game, I looked at some reviews, checked out this thread....

and I'm going to buy it tomorrow. Can't wait now!

Borderlands
Demon's Souls
COD: Modern Warfare 2
Uncharted 2
NFS: SHIFT
Dirt 2
possibly MAG

I think I'll be set for the winter with all these new games!! :D

Zoink

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried using search but was getting weird database errrors. On New Game+ do you have to use the same character? I think I'm near the end with the soldier but his skills kind of suck so I want to try hunter, just wondering if I should finish the game first.

Daigoro

holy shit, the PC version actually has auto-aim? wtf? so lame...

i shut off the option on the console version. cant imagine it being enabled at all in the PC version.

not to troll, but im glad i wound up with the console version. the PC version really seems like a real hack job from what people here are describing. im sure its still fun as hell, but it sounds very poorly optimized for PC.

Firestorm

Hit LV14 today. 4.9 hours. Game came out at a really bad time for me =[
Daigoro said:
holy shit, the PC version actually has auto-aim? wtf? so lame...

i shut off the option on the console version. cant imagine it being enabled at all in the PC version.

not to troll, but im glad i wound up with the console version. the PC version really seems like a real hack job from what people here are describing. im sure its still fun as hell, but it sounds very poorly optimized for PC.
The PC version is almost identical to the console version but has better visuals. That's what people are bitching about. PC gamers are just accustomed to a different standard, that's all =P I think people were bitching about the same online issues on the first day of 360/PS3 release. I've personally had no problems getting friends to join my game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nose Master said:

No, there isn't... they're pretty much spread out across all the special locations you have to go to though:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=942810&topic=51910777

I just finished the game and got my 1000 points. While the trappings around the game are pretty lame, the game itself is fun. Being able to see your damage delt is just great.
I could see myself grabbing the DLC when it comes out, but it'd be for the promise of better loot more than anything else.

glaurung

Finished my first playthrough last night, hit soldier level 35 by the end. The end of the narrative part is a massive disappointment, but at least the last boss fight was awesome.

Started my second playthrough right off the bat and it is much better. The enemies are quicker, more badass and the loot is now proper loot.

Still need to find the missing claptraps and after that... Probably will try to start the hunter, though he is the ultimate weaksauce in the beginning.

Someone who has put more time than me into this:

By the end of my first campaign I only had two Eridian guns, both dropped or found in either boss fights or quest rewards. The first one was a shotgun-type lightning rod with very little ammo even with +65% magazine size bonus from class modifier. The second one was a sniper of sorts, dropped near the end of the game by a Crimson Lance boss. The sniper sucks because its bullets travel at snail pace, meaning most enemies will be in Calcutta by the time the projectile gets to where they used to be.

Am I going to find more Eridian guns at some point?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Tokubetsu said:
When it comes to shields, do I want a lower or higher number when it comes to recharge rate?
Higher means you recharge faster, which is good. I'm still mourning the loss of my legendary revolver...it had 250 damage, 3.8 rate of fire, explosion damage, and ricochet. It could slaughter groups of emenies with one clip but I accidentally dropped it and some bastard stole it. My pistol profic is 12 but I haven't found a decent revolver to replace it. Me is woe.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I thought you could farm bosses in this game? I remember Randy saying something like that.

My friend and I got really PO'd when we couldn't farm
The Vault Boss
to see if he'd drop some Oranges or Pearlescents. :(

Shoogoo

glaurung said:
By the end of my first campaign I only had two Eridian guns, both dropped or found in either boss fights or quest rewards. The first one was a shotgun-type lightning rod with very little ammo even with +65% magazine size bonus from class modifier. The second one was a sniper of sorts, dropped near the end of the game by a Crimson Lance boss. The sniper sucks because its bullets travel at snail pace, meaning most enemies will be in Calcutta by the time the projectile gets to where they used to be.

Am I going to find more Eridian guns at some point?

I've found 5 alien guns on my 1st playthrough

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Firestorm said:
Hit LV14 today. 4.9 hours. Game came out at a really bad time for me =[
The PC version is almost identical to the console version but has better visuals. That's what people are bitching about. PC gamers are just accustomed to a different standard, that's all =P I think people were bitching about the same online issues on the first day of 360/PS3 release. I've personally had no problems getting friends to join my game.

The game runs great and looks quite nice on the PC. Ambient occlusion brings my framerate down a little bit, but I went ahead and turned it off since it isn't very well done anyway.

The only problem with the PC version is its interface which really does look like it was just pulled out of the console version. You can always used a 360 pad if you want as well.

Shoogoo

I have a question concerning the private games (friends only) on 360;

If you create a private game, can your friends freely join in or do you have to invite them?

Sephon

Shoogoo said:
I have a question concerning the private games (friends only) on 360;

If you create a private game, can your friends freely join in or do you have to invite them?

You chose if it's invite only or if friends can join freely when you setup the game.

I just got a 55x7 revolver with a scope and it regenerates ammo. I love it. Its like a super accurate shotgun. It doesn't do shit to those mercs but it eats up anything else not wearing armor.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Got the game yesterday (360 plus a month's worth of Gold) and enjoying it so far. One question about the replay-value: are the different classes you choose from in the beginning very different from each other in terms of gameplay and usable guns? I went with soldier, since he seems to fit my general playstyle best (shoot first, asking questions is for pussies), but I'm a pretty good sniper as well (was a sniper in MAG, Unreal Tournament, etc). Can I still use a sniperrifle if I want to with the Soldier, or do I have to restart the game and choose Hunter for my sniping-desires?

Shoogoo

Sephon said:
You chose if it's invite only or if friends can join freely when you setup the game.

I just tried to create a game and didn't see that option, am I blind?

I don't want randoms to be able to join the game, just my friends.

neorej said:
Got the game yesterday (360 plus a month's worth of Gold) and enjoying it so far. One question about the replay-value: are the different classes you choose from in the beginning very different from each other in terms of gameplay and usable guns? I went with soldier, since he seems to fit my general playstyle best (shoot first, asking questions is for pussies), but I'm a pretty good sniper as well (was a sniper in MAG, Unreal Tournament, etc). Can I still use a sniperrifle if I want to with the Soldier, or do I have to restart the game and choose Hunter for my sniping-desires?

You can use all weapon types, though as your proficiencies go up you will want to specialize. Brick probably offers a more unique experience, though Siren is non gun specific anyway. As a hunter I haven't even put into the sniper tree and I use them liberally, mostly because the sniper tree blows.

Sephon

Shoogoo said:
I just tried to create a game and didn't see that option, am I blind?

I don't want randoms to be able to join the game, just my friends.

I'm at work so can't check it right now, but I'm sure that if you choose "start/host private game" in the next menu you get to choose invite only or free join (or something), there's only like three choises in the menu so shouldn't be easily missed.
Unless I've dreamt it all

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh FUCK YOU MICROSOFT and Borderlands.

I spent an hour doing quests and the game didn't save... then suddenly I get kicked off Live for what I assume is the shitty Facebook update. What the fucking hell? Ugh.

Shoogoo

Sephon said:
I'm at work so can't check it right now, but I'm sure that if you choose "start/host private game" in the next menu you get to choose invite only or free join (or something), there's only like three choises in the menu so shouldn't be easily missed.
Unless I've dreamt it all

I only saw

- play game
- select character
- invite friends (with no other option)
- exit

:/

Sephon

Shoogoo said:
I only saw

- play game
- select character
- exit

IIRC it's the menu before that... You select between different join/host types first (like join game, host game, host private game, blabla) and then somehow you get to configure the game if you're hosting before you go into that lobby which you're mentioning.
But I'll just check it out when I get home in like... 11 hours ;)

remz

firehawk12 said:
Oh FUCK YOU MICROSOFT and Borderlands.

I spent an hour doing quests and the game didn't save... then suddenly I get kicked off Live for what I assume is the shitty Facebook update. What the fucking hell? Ugh.
No, that's actually the wireless router update. :)

Shoogoo

Sephon said:
IIRC it's the menu before that... You select between different join/host types first (like join game, host game, host private game, blabla) and then somehow you get to configure the game if you're hosting before you go into that lobby which you're mentioning.
But I'll just check it out when I get home in like... 11 hours ;)

Damn, I can't check right now either :)

Keep me in touch! thanks.

TimeLike

Shoogoo said:
I only saw

- play game
- select character
- exit

If you create a private game, your friends will be able to freely join you. No need for invites.

m3k

just played this last night at my friends house... do like!

was around level 22 and played a few missions with my friend... had awfully long day at work today because we played it for a bit too long haha

firehawk12

Subete no aware
remz said:

Well, either way... what a pain. They should at least warn people to save their games when they do that crap. How hard would it be to send a system wide warning message?

remz

firehawk12 said:
Well, either way... what a pain. They should at least warn people to save their games when they do that crap. How hard would it be to send a system wide warning message?
Yeah, a pain in the ass either way. Happening just as I was starting the game up for me though, so no big deal here.

a shitty system, indeed.

remz said:

Wireles router update? I got kicked off for this too. Anywhere I can read about it? I don't see anything on the update at Xbox.com or anywhere???

Edit: Nevermind, just saw it on major nelson's site.

Top Bottom