• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Cahill

Banned
Mrbob said:
Anyone else feel a little more satisfaction shooting at enemies when you see the damage numbers pop off them? I love that! Especially when you have an element attached to a weapon. Set someone on fire, go around a corner, and see the numbers fly. :lol

Hell yeah, especially when you inflict multiple effects and the numbers are all color-coded... "Aw, you're burning, corrosive and getting pelted by my insane shotgun. Sucks to be you!"

Shoogoo said:
When you have to get
that thing back for scooter so you can get the vehicle

Hm. I already did that I think. To unlock the use of the vehicle? Are you sure that's the one? I figured it would be something like "Kill Bone Head. And Tell Him I Hate Him."

Woo-Fu

Banned
Lord Phol said:
Also if you pick up an artifact you allready have and use it, it will raise the level of that artifact by 1.

This is incorrect. The artifacts themselves have levels. If you pick up one that is higher level than you currently have you can use it and upgrade your level. If it is same level or lower it will tell you you can't use it. You can see the levels by going into the character menu and clicking the element diamond in the top left. The list will show you which elements you've picked up and what level each of them are.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
BenjaminBirdie said:
So no one's ever opened the chest in Bone Head's area?
You must get the quest to do it then kill him to open it. There is only money and a quest item inside.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Lord Phol said:
Yeh there's nothing quite as orgasmic in the gaming world as seeing the amount of punish you're dealing out depicted as a bunch of colored numbers popping up, even the font they use pleases me somehow :D.

Edit: A small head's up on what's not working at the moment. From what I can gather from the official forums the following talents are as of now not working: Phase Strike, Silent Resolve, Unbreakable, Pay Back, and Revive.

Hopefully it will be patched!
Unbreakable definitely works, but not exactly as the description states (which I believe is an error in the description, not the intended effect...could be wrong, though).

When your shield goes down it most certainly does insta-charge up again, but it doesn't happen EVERYTIME...it happens probably something like once a minute or some other reasonable timeframe.

It's definitely doing its thing, though.

Jonsoncao

Banned
2a0jk83.jpg

I think those 2 purple CRs are much better than those crappy orange shotgun/repeater everywhere

and this proves solo indeed will drop awesome weapons

EDIT: there are totally 4 red chests in the final passage to
Vault
, the drops there are super sweet, you dun even have to be online to get nice loot

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Jonsoncao said:
2a0jk83.jpg

here is several awesome weapon I found in those red chest at the final area of playthrough 2, and I think those 2 purple CRs are much better than those crappy orange shotgun/repeater everywhere

What chest was this?

That Glorious Havoc is indeed glorious.

Rocket launchers and missile shooting shotguns are bad? News to me. I've been using 'em constantly with Brick (even when I didn't invest any skill points in his explosive specialized perks) and they deal plenty of damage. Don't bother with the ones that shoot multiple rockets at once however, be it in a triangle-like shape or in quick succession. They're usually unwieldy / finnicky and you'll just waste ammo if you use the latter ones.

Also, to the PC crowd: of course you have to forward ports and whatnot. This has always been the case with games that use the peer-to-peer system rather than dedicated servers (where you don't have to worry about ports). If you cannot connect to a specific friend, your (or his) NAT condition is probably set to Strict or Moderate and so you can forget about playing co-op with each other until you either configure your settings correctly or find someone else in your group to host. It probably isn't the game's fault if you can't join each other's lobby in other words.

Do agree with the fact that GameSpy was a poor choice on Gearbox' end on the other hand, which is most likely responsible for extra connection conflicts. Should've just gone with Games for Windows Live at the very least if Steamworks didn't work out for Borderlands.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Tobor said:
How could anyone miss the TK Baha missions? I'm assuming you mean the second set of missions? How could those be missed?

Bonehead is doable at a a low level by hiding up on the catwalk. Bonehead never comes up after you, he just runs around the yard firing potshots.

All of my friends that I'd like to be playing coop with but can't because it doesn't work, missed the second set of quests from him and went straight after bonehead. I missed it at first too, went after bonehead, got brutally defeated, and realized I must have missed some quests. I think that happens because you're doing one quest at a time up until that point, and for me the bonehead one was the one that was highlighted after going to that board where you get the bonehead quest.

Jonsoncao said:
2a0jk83.jpg

here is several awesome weapon I found in those red chest at the final area of playthrough 2, and I think those 2 purple CRs are much better than those crappy orange shotgun/repeater everywhere

That sniper might actually be pretty sweet. The damage is low, but it has burst fire and is accurate enough that you could get like 3 crits with one pull of the trigger.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Hazaro said:
What chest was this?

That Glorious Havoc is indeed glorious.
in the final passage before you enter the
vault

that sniper is indeed very sweet, 5 shots burst, steady and accurate, if you manage to get the first shot critical, the rest will be critical too, almost 2000+ damage for pulling the trigger once

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Jonsoncao said:
in the final passage before you enter the
vault

that sniper is indeed very sweet, 5 shots burst, steady and accurate, if you manage to get the first shot critical, the rest will be critical too, almost 2000+ damage for pulling the trigger once
5 shot burst?! FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK that's nuts :lol

Recoil reduction and nice accuracy makes that thing just crazy as all shit. Great find.

I'm around 15, and I don't find too many quests.

The only place where I found quests, right now, are:
- Doctor
- One-legged man
- Mission Post Wall of the initial base
- Guy near the entrance of the Arid Badlands.
- Guy in the arena

I have 2 or 3 quests left, only, to do
(crystals, sledge, mine)
. Unfortunately, It don't seem to be too many sidequests in this game. Or I can't find them. The map marks another Mission Post Wall in the main area, near the main base, but I can't see it.

Cahill

Banned
DangerousDave said:

- Doctor
- One-legged man
- Guy in the arena

(crystals, sledge, mine)
. Unfortunately, It don't seem to be too many sidequests in this game. Or I can't find them. The map marks another Mission Post Wall in the main area, near the main base, but I can't see it.

You will get a TON once you progress a bit past the first area.

Jonsoncao

Banned
DangerousDave said:

- Doctor
- One-legged man
- Guy in the arena

(crystals, sledge, mine)

do the quest involving "talking to claptrap" as soon as possible, since this kind of quest will allow you to go into new areas, then a questilicious world awaits you :D

DangerousDave said:

- Doctor
- One-legged man
- Guy in the arena

(crystals, sledge, mine)
That's because you haven't left the newb area yet.

Pctx

Banned
DangerousDave said:

- Doctor
- One-legged man
- Guy in the arena

(crystals, sledge, mine)

&
Jonsoncao said:
do the quest involving "talking to claptrap" as soon as possible, since this kind of quest will allow you to go into new areas, then a questilicious world awaits you :D

In Fyrestone, obviously take all the missions you can (if you want... since they are side quests) at the main area near Dr. Zed. Past that, you move onto
Dahl
which I just hit last night @ level 18 and my god the game takes off.
Vehicle combat, intense... freaky intense fire fights and loot that will wet your whistle.

BTW--- I suggest people try re-specing to full Rogue on Hunter as I just picked up an elemental for my bloodwing... which now he lights people on fire providing DOT's, gives me health and I'm 2 points away from him attacking multiple targets. :lol That little guy is so badass.

Also-- If you get into a fire fight you can't win... throwing your bloodwing out at the last minute will give you a free second wind depending on the damage to the baddie. Lovin' this game and need to play co-op with some of you guys here soon. :D

EDIT: Also--- Best Buy is sold out of this game and it's back ordered. Crazy! :lol
230gua.png

Ultimatum

Banned
This game is actually pretty good, games are so much better when you don't know anything about them. Looks like avoiding borderlands has paid off. :D

Unicorn

Perhaps my achievements are glitching because I'm playing as the Siren and use nothing but elemental weapons, but haven't unlocked the achievements for 25 elemental kills with each of the elements. I finally unlocked the Corrosive one, but only after hours of playing with my corrosive shotgun and other acid related things. Spent a few hours last night rushing Skag Gully with my Fire SMG and still no 25 kills with fire weapons achievement.

Also didn't get the one for selling 50 guns and I farmed
OLD Haven
for a LOOOOONG time this past weekend since my co-op buddy was elsewhere.

I almost have $9 million but still no "sell 50 guns" achievement.

WTF?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Argh, can someone tell me which part of the world Scooter is in so i can shut claptrap up please ?

Grecco

Unicorn said:
Perhaps my achievements are glitching because I'm playing as the Siren and use nothing but elemental weapons, but haven't unlocked the achievements for 25 elemental kills with each of the elements. I finally unlocked the Corrosive one, but only after hours of playing with my corrosive shotgun and other acid related things. Spent a few hours last night rushing Skag Gully with my Fire SMG and still no 25 kills with fire weapons achievement.

OLD Haven

WTF?

the 50 guns one is glitched to some people. A friend of mine does not have it but i do. Even though weve both sold tons of them

Ive heard if you start a new game it unglitches try that.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Unicorn said:

OLD Haven

WTF?
yah, some of these accumulative type achievements are glitched
all you have to do is creating a new character and unlock them there...

chandoog said:
Argh, can someone tell me which part of the world Scooter is in so i can shut claptrap up please ?
near teh entrance of New Haven

ElyrionX

Uhh, is it me or is there no way to teleport around the world? I'm level 14 and in the Arid Badlands area currently. There seems to be an excessive amount of traveling.

Also, how do the save points work? Which is the one that I will start my game from after I save and quit the game? Those pole-things that light up after you walk past them, what do they signify?

Cahill

Banned
ElyrionX said:
Uhh, is it me or is there no way to teleport around the world? I'm level 14 and in the Arid Badlands area currently. There seems to be an excessive amount of traveling.

Also, how do the save points work? Which is the one that I will start my game from after I save and quit the game? Those pole-things that light up after you walk past them, what do they signify?

There is no way for you to teleport right now.
You will be able to later from the New U stations

Edit for stupid typo

Got it today and played all afters. Currently at level 17. Getting used to the car controls now which is a relief, still iffy though. Just picked up a neat RL but won't be able to use it until Lvl25. Just started picking up shock weopons too.

Corum said:
"28/10/2009 Your order has been dispatched." - Damn the UK PC release date, 2 more days!

I always get my Game.co.uk pre-orders the day after they're dispatched so I'll have it tomorrow hopefully. Unless there are more postal strikes this week...

John

I've found that most encounters can be conquered before you should even be able to by (as level 16 hunter right now):

- sprinting in relatively small circles.
- reloading while doing so.
- waiting for your armor to recharge.
- throwing bloodwing every 28 seconds.
- shooting once or twice every time your armor gets full again.

I've got aim assist turned off and the combat still feels a tad exploitable.

But don't get me wrong, the game's fun as hell. I played five and a half hours yesterday without realizing it. First game I've ever played where I actually tell myself "just one more mission."

epmode

AgentOtaku said:
Wait wait wait ....so the vibe i'm getting here is that I should actually SKIP the PC version and go for PS3 instead?
If you're going for single-player, stick with the PC version. Even with the interface annoyances, it plays very well.

For multiplayer, consoles are the way to go. A terrible server browser, Gamespy/firewall issues and client-side character storage really gimps the PC version. GG Pitchford.

epmode said:
If you're going for single-player, stick with the PC version. Even with the interface annoyances, it plays very well.

For multiplayer, consoles are the way to go. A terrible server browser, Gamespy/firewall issues and client-side character storage really gimps the PC version. GG Pitchford.

Going for MP actually so I guess I might go PS3 then ...if sprint is remappable =P

AgentOtaku said:
Wait wait wait ....so the vibe i'm getting here is that I should actually SKIP the PC version and go for PS3 instead?

If you plan on playing the game over the long term and not just picking it up for a quick play through to move onto something else I would get the PC version. It may have some issues at the moment, but i'm confident the PC community and Gearbox will resolve them. Then we have all the cool mods and add-ons, etc to look forward to. Console gamers also tend to move onto the next big game right away so I expect the community on the PC to have more legs, and a greater variety of players over the long haul.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
If you plan on playing the game over the long term and not just picking it up for a quick play through to move onto something else I would get the PC version. It may have some issues at the moment, but i'm confident the PC community and Gearbox will resolve them. Then we have all the cool mods and add-ons, etc to look forward to. Console gamers also tend to move onto the next big game right away so I expect the community on the PC to have more legs, and a greater variety of players over the long haul.

True true

JudgeN

AgentOtaku said:

From what I read on the office gearbox forum, here is a running list off all the collective PS3 issues.

PS3: Server List: If your lucky you will search for a online game and it only pauses like 5-10min if your unlucky it does the same thing but freezes in the 5-10min.

PS3: Crashing: Crashing is random and happens a lot once your server list did load and you join another players server and bang it crashes on load. If your lucky and that went by fine then you end up crashing later on randomly. During a Boss or anything.

PS3: Corrupted Characters: Very rare at this point. More people play the longer their games go the more chance they will get a lag/freeze or the great crash and they will get corrupted characters. It has happen to me once it was just a level 17 character but it was annoying anyways.

PS3: Host low FPS: If you are the host you will get slow downs like crazy. when I say slow downs I mean if I were to guess like 5-10 fps slowdowns when your shooting all you see if flash freeze flash freeze death. It happens since the processing load for the AI i guess ain't being balanced right? Maybe Gearbox is only using 2-3 CPUs?

PS3: Single Player FPS: Not as bad but I also feel like its sort of the same thing with the host part where it slows down like crazy. Not sure if this can be exactly same thing since your local box is controlling the ai.

PS3: Digital Audio: For some reason on the PS3 there is a bug where and I'm no programmer but the audio kicks out like it feels like one the threads process the audio crashes and reboots it. It's not something to die over but very annoying and strange.

PS3: Split Screen: I'm sorry but I don't know what to say. It was bad enough one person lost there character but now you can do 2 at once. This has just the same issues but a lot worse. It feels like GearBox forgot to test this function out. To be fair I'm just letting you know in this post you get the works above but more frequent like crashes fps loss. Not to mention the horrible UI scrolling to see it.

PS3: Friend List: Now I don't know what you did or PSN did wrong here. You did fix it sort of. But I have random crazy people I deleted and removed as my friend that now can see me and I can see them playing and even annoying me by trying join my games.

PS3: Microphone: Now if your using a Bluetooth headset or using a Logitec USB headset we all get cut outs and sometimes where it makes the guy sound like he is going a million miles an hour and the works

PS3: Skills Bug: This bug I think happens on PS3 and 360. This is the issue we have so far. If a players gets kicked during mid save sometimes it messes or changes his save game. The worst thing that has happen is it corrupts the saved game. Best way to stop this is maybe force save and a 5 second pause after it that kick or exit can not take an effect.

It sounds like to me like the PS3 version is complete trash, and gearbox hasn't even acknowledged their are problems. I have the PC version and while it truly is a simple console port with its own problems (Can't connect to multiplayer games, lock ups, GPF errors, crappy FOV, and bad voice chat) its in a little better condition then the PS3.

Top Bottom