• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Baloonatic said:
You can buy back weapons from the same vendor that you sell them to but I'm not sure if it saves them forever.

I don't think it does. I had a look back at some vendors where I'd sold stuff and they weren't there. Maybe it only saves them until you quit?

Nome

John said:
What does this mean?

Scroll wheel won't scroll through menus.
When grabbing missions, the mission text must be scrolled with PGUP/DOWN--arrow keys won't even work.
There's no option for ironsight toggle (only hold), no option for on-hold run and crouch.
Online interface is horrendous.

It's pretty fail overall. Good thing the core gameplay is pretty damned good :lol

Zzoram

I beat the game singleplayer with a level 36 Brick. The last boss really was lame.

I'm unsure if I want to 50 my Brick with playthrough 2 or start a Mordecai. I really don't know which class I like the most yet, so I'm not sure which one I want to bring to 50.

Is there somewhere you can view how long I've been playing? (PS3) You can kinda see other stats in the Challenge request tab like how many kills with certain guns etc. But I'd like to know how long I've been playing for.

Zzoram

Katana_Strikes said:
Is there somewhere you can view how long I've been playing? (PS3) You can kinda see other stats in the Challenge request tab like how many kills with certain guns etc. But I'd like to know how long I've been playing for.

There is no time counter.

I've been trying to keep count myself. I think it took me around 25-30 hours to beat the game once in singleplayer.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
So far (lvl 10 Soldier) rocksolid game. It does practically everything right. My only gripe is with the save-system (X360). If I shut down the console directly from within the game via the guide-button, it doesn't save my progress, even if I just had a Borderlands-icon in the topright of my screen. I return to the game to find myself at my previous mission or sometimes even the mission before that.
Last time I quit the game, I first opened the start-menu, selected exit, it said it saved my stuff, and from the main menu I shut down the console. I hope this works...

neorej said:
Last time I quit the game, I first opened the start-menu, selected exit, it said it saved my stuff, and from the main menu I shut down the console. I hope this works...
That's how I do it and it's worked every time (360 version).

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
practice02 said:
the graphics difference is nearly unnoticable. If some one wanted to play this game and had both a PC or a 360 I would tell them to get the 360 version.

twice the framerate is easily noticeable

Swag

Roland with the regenerating ammo ability is so amazing, can finally use this SMG that just chews through bullets on a regular basis on my Siren :lol, and fixed my crashing issue in the game. prepping for a long session tonight, hopefully I'll get through to the end of the game.

g0atcheese

Neo Member
Jonsoncao said:
try
investigating the deadbody by a wall when you enter the Old Haven and then turn left near the vending machine
, also there are ten Claptrap rescue quests total

For 360 version, there are tearings, but barely noticeable during gameplay(I would say less than 10% frames, mostly on the edge of the screen)
a lot tearings during cutscenes, not as massive as Operation Flashpoint PS3, but it is very noticeable

I did that the first time I went to Old Haven :/

Dipper145

I find it so much more fun on the 2nd play through, because it is a bit more difficult, and has a ton more enemies coming at me. I'm leveling up to 50 a lot faster than I thought I would. I figured it would take the whole 2nd play through, but it won't take half that long.

practice02 said:
there is no tearing on the 360 version that I've seen so big deal V-sync and the framerate stuff big woop you rarely encounter that as an issue and when you do it's not game breaking. I'm just saying that if you want the most bang for your buck with this game get one of the console versions. this is an alright PC port that's it.
There's screen tearing on the 360 version. It's not bad or anything, relatively minor in fact compared to other console games, but it's definitely there if you look for it.

Also: framerate drops are frequent. Game has the tendency to slow down real bad whenever certain particle effects occur near the player (dustcloud of the Spiderants or blood / gore after a headshot for example) and it's very hard to miss. Then again, you also thought the game ran at 60 fps on the Xbox 360 for some reason.

It doesn't ruin the game for me, but Borderlands' performance issues are all the more apparent if you opted for a close-quarter character like Brick or like to use guns with scopes.

Flambe

Well Tunngle is letting my friend and I connect now as LAN, but lag is so bad that whoever isn't hosting gets big lag bubbles and eventual disconnects =[

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So can you farm bosses or no?

And if you save, say, 5 Claptraps in your first playthrough then go into your second playthrough, will you have to re-save those Claptraps or does it transfer over so that you only have to save the remaining CTs?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Casval said:
Scroll wheel won't scroll through menus.
When grabbing missions, the mission text must be scrolled with PGUP/DOWN--arrow keys won't even work.
There's no option for ironsight toggle (only hold), no option for on-hold run and crouch.
Online interface is horrendous.

It's pretty fail overall. Good thing the core gameplay is pretty damned good :lol

Everything you mentioned, literally everything besides the online interface (which is identical on consoles), is enablable on PC, as is Vsync, hold to crouch, and fov toggling. They take some (relatively simple) ini tweaks currently, however.

There is also now a tweak for third person view:
Within WillowInput.ini:

Search for [WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput]. Below the chunk of bindings, add the following:

Bindings=(Name="F3",Command="Camera ThirdPerson",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F4",Command="Camera FirstPerson",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

Can't wait to try this out.

Is there any reason to beat all the quests? It was noted on Giantbomb that it can be very difficult to pick up older quests after you get high level, but is there any trophy/achievement related to it?

Class_A_Ninja said:
Is there any reason to beat all the quests? It was noted on Giantbomb that it can be very difficult to pick up older quests after you get high level, but is there any trophy/achievement related to it?

Yes, you get a trophy/achievement.

_tetsuo_ said:
twice the framerate is easily noticeable
yeah the framerate on PC is 120 frames per second and you can tell that because if I were to sit you down in front of 2 tvs you could tell the difference 60 120 also you can taste the difference between coke and pepsi in a blind taste test give me a break and take your frame rate cock swinging somewhere else im going purely on what i've seen and experienced on all three versions 360>PS3>PC

practice02 said:
yeah the framerate on PC is 120 frames per second and you can tell that because if I were to sit you down in front of 2 tvs you could tell the difference 60 120 also you can taste the difference between coke and pepsi in a blind taste test give me a break and take your frame rate cock swinging somewhere else im going purely on what i've seen and experienced on all three versions 360>PS3>PC

....right.

practice02 said:
I'm glad someone gets. :lol :lol :lol

That someone is not you.

So I went to pick up the last audio tape in the Arid Wastelands and a big level 25 Rakk swooped down and nearly obliterated my poor car with its explosive turds. I was level 14. Is this supposed to happen? Because the mission log says it should be Normal difficulty. I don't call that normal.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
PC version is graphically superior, to deny this is to be teh blind.

I am actually working on going deeper to try enabling AA now, will post results if I get 'em.

Red

practice02 said:
Is this for real or are you trying to be ironic?

Zzoram said:
There is no time counter.

I've been trying to keep count myself. I think it took me around 25-30 hours to beat the game once in singleplayer.
There is a time counter. It's listed when you highlight your save file when you're choosing which character to load.

Dunlop

So the class mods work, you just don't see them in the spec tree?

My beserk refresh seems to be every 20 secs now with my scientific method of counting out loud, I wasted like 20k screwing up my specs so I count incorporate brawl (mod give +3), I'm hoping it wasnt for nothing :lol

I know you are supposed to have at least 1 point in the skill

Red

Looking for a some others to play online with right now, got about an hour to play. Steam and gamespy IDs are both everluck. Haven't had a chance to do co op yet so I'm hoping for a good first.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
practice02 said:

Does it make you angry that the PC version is better?

Xabora

Blizzard said:
Wow, did they not strip out their source from the UnrealScript? I didn't even think of checking. It's nice to see it's easily hackable to restore lost character stuff.

I'm just sad the editor doesn't work. That might almost make up for not being able to play with friends. I tried both "borderlands editor" and "borderlands willoweditor", but the latter goes fullscreen and then has an exception for file not found. I'm not sure if it's just trying to load a map file and not the editor at all, or what. BIAHH didn't have an editor, did it? If I knew some way of logging file open calls, I could see what file it's trying to access...
Well it was kinda funny when I loaded my character file when I placed in my fix only to realize I had a bit too far over and well. I had 128 skill points. D: But I quickly fixed that when the bit was changed.

Blizzard

Banned
Xabora said:
Well it was kinda funny when I loaded my character file when I placed in my fix only to realize I had a bit too far over and well. I had 128 skill points. D: But I quickly fixed that when the bit was changed.
Actually, looking at the UnrealScript they did seem to strip the source. Were you just making an educated guess about how it worked?

Daigoro

playthrough 2 rules!

so fun. the hordes of critters that attack make it much more enjoyable than play 1. exp is coming in buckets now.

VibratingDonkey said:
So I went to pick up the last audio tape in the Arid Wastelands and a big level 25 Rakk swooped down and nearly obliterated my poor car with its explosive turds. I was level 14. Is this supposed to happen? Because the mission log says it should be Normal difficulty. I don't call that normal.

i dont think so. that seems like a big gap in levels. sounds cool though!

Insaniac

is there a point in putting a x4 incendiary sniper on an elemental Siren or is the chance of inferno so high that using it along with Shock Skill moot?

IF so, anybody need a 294 damage x4 Incendiary Sniper? (.8 fire rate, 6 rounds)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Insaniac, I think at maxed skill and x4, the chance of fire per shot is so high that there is some redundancy.

Okay, so I figured out AA. Nhancer does it fine after all- you need to manually activate the profile and use the Gamebryo compatibility mode, it's way better than the standard UE3 one for some reason. I can post detailed instructions on how to do this if you guys would like!

I chose an object I noticed was heavily aliased for screenies. Can take shots of whatever you'd like at various settings (or even bullshots with crazy high AA if desired):

No AA:
2vmsfu1.png
16x MSAA:
10wl380.png
2x2 Supersampling:
2u7qhd4.png

Pretty stuff. Even at 16x, you have to get quite close to notice the aliasing at all- about the distance I am from the skull.

In my testing, though, I definitely begin to see why Gbx decided not to include it in the in-game settings.

1. It is a sizable performance hit. I have a monster rig, i7 940, SLI GTX 260; 16x is a pretty much unnoticeable hit in FPS (and what I will be using from now on), but 2x2 super is just a bit too much of a drop. It's what I'd call "playable sub-30," and a far cry from the near-constant 60 of the other settings. I think this is largely because the thick edges of the art-style require a lot more anti-aliasing than your standard borders, putting a greater strain on the GPU.
2. Really, the game at high resolutions is still awesomely beautiful without it due to the art design. I think this combined with #1 made the devs think, 90% of people playing this game won't be able to use it and will be frustrated when they try, so let's forget it for now." I, of course, would have still preferred an in-game option.
3. Dynamic self-shadows used by the engine, like those on iron sheet wall/fence, when moving your character quickly, don't like AA. They freak out a bit. It's easily noticeable but hard to describe. Not enough for me to prefer No AA, but, definitely a compatibility issue that I can see leading to removing the option.
4. I like pie.

Anyway, I'm really loving 16x and I may try to find an even sweeter spot (a Q setting or maybe even CSAA).

Daigoro

Hawkian said:
I, of course, would have still preferred an in-game option.

really, all of the video/controll options should have been available in game. it sucks that they arent.

looks great though. ill probably pick up a copy cheap somewhere down the road if folks are still playing. hopefully a patch or two irons out the kinks by then.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Just started this tonight on 360. Only level 6 right now and loving this game.

Quick question, can you hotkey the Medkits or do you have to go to the menu to use them each time?

Top Bottom