• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is sprint remappable on console versions?

Only pre-set controller types, and none of them are ideal, the only one which places sprint on a bumper turns the L trigger into grenades rather than zooming with the gun (which goes to right stick pressing), which is just retarded.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Then we have all the cool mods and add-ons, etc to look forward to.

Wait, after all of three minutes of searching, I saw no confirmation of an SDK, only Randy saying, 'Yeah, that'd be cool, wouldn't it? But we're kinda busy getting, you know, the game done.' ???

chandoog said:
Only pre-set controller types, and none of them are ideal, the only one which places sprint on a bumper turns the L trigger into grenades rather than zooming with the gun (which goes to right stick pressing), which is just retarded.

UGH =(

sk3tch

360 versus PC (Win 7 64-bit, C2D E6600, 4GB RAM, GTX 260 is my rig) - what say thee?

My friends are not necessarily a factor as we're all usually too busy to connect at the same time...but if anything 360 would get the nod in that factor...

madmook

chandoog said:
I use the preset (called Nuked, I believe) that puts the sprint on R3 (right analog click). This is more acceptable to me than using L3 for sprint (because you need to already be moving in order to activate sprint, so you have to be angling the analog stick when you click it in). That preset does not significantly fuck up the other button commands.

I hate all shooter devs that put sprint on L3 and/or use a low fov. I am really hoping that Gearbox gives us the option to use a normal fov like Bioshock did.

garath

sk3tch said:
360 versus PC (Win 7 64-bit, C2D E6600, 4GB RAM, GTX 260 is my rig) - what say thee?

My friends are not necessarily a factor as we're all usually too busy to connect at the same time...but if anything 360 would get the nod in that factor...

I have the exact same rig. Runs like a champ on my PC. Go steam if you go that route, hearing some concerns from people with Win7 and retail copy.

360 probably has the most seamless multiplayer unfortunately. PC is a little rough right now. I can play with my friends no problem but quite a few people post on the forums that they are having no luck at all.

I love mouse aiming for an fps though. And frankly I wouldn't trade that even if the PC version was 10x worse. The controls are tight and the fps aspect is very solid on the PC.

Does that help? doubt it lol.

sk3tch

garath said:
I have the exact same rig. Runs like a champ on my PC. Go steam if you go that route, hearing some concerns from people with Win7 and retail copy.

360 probably has the most seamless multiplayer unfortunately. PC is a little rough right now. I can play with my friends no problem but quite a few people post on the forums that they are having no luck at all.

I love mouse aiming for an fps though. And frankly I wouldn't trade that even if the PC version was 10x worse. The controls are tight and the fps aspect is very solid on the PC.

Does that help? doubt it lol.

Thank you garath...that does help, actually. I have been reading the last 20+ pages (since the PC ver dropped on Steam) and it seems like everything was very mixed. Good to hear it runs well on my rig...I will definitely buy via Steam. Thanks again, sir!!!

Oh hey, have you used the 360 pad at all? I do prefer keyboard/mouse too...but I would not mind trying that out...

madmook said:
I use the preset (called Nuked, I believe) that puts the sprint on R3 (right analog click). This is more acceptable to me than using L3 for sprint (because you need to already be moving in order to activate sprint, so you have to be angling the analog stick when you click it in). That preset does not significantly fuck up the other button commands.

I hate all shooter devs that put sprint on L3 and/or use a low fov. I am really hoping that Gearbox gives us the option to use a normal fov like Bioshock did.

thx

Jonsoncao

Banned
sk3tch said:

in short:

Better Graphics: PC
Better Online: 360
if you only have a PS3: PS3

also the UI is optimized for console
the PC UI is kinda awkward seeing the Quicklook at giantbomb

Blizzard

Banned
Does anyone have any 360 comparison screens, out of curiosity?

I'm almost tempted to play this in single-player instead of giving on it entirely, but bleah. I almost wonder if my cable provider is somehow blocking/disconnecting certain ports that are normally used for torrents or something, and that messes up GameSpy. :(

Maybe I should get Torchlight instead and then I won't have to worry about multiplayer. :lol

Jonsoncao said:
in short:

Better Graphics: PC
Better Online: 360
if you only have a PS3: PS3

also the UI is optimized for console
the PC UI is kinda awkward seeing the Quicklook at giantbomb
the graphics difference is nearly unnoticable. If some one wanted to play this game and had both a PC or a 360 I would tell them to get the 360 version.

Red

practice02 said:
the graphics difference is nearly unnoticable. If some one wanted to play this game and had both a PC or a 360 I would tell them to get the 360 version.
PC has vsync + higher res.

Frostburn

sk3tch said:
Thank you garath...that does help, actually. I have been reading the last 20+ pages (since the PC ver dropped on Steam) and it seems like everything was very mixed. Good to hear it runs well on my rig...I will definitely buy via Steam. Thanks again, sir!!!

Oh hey, have you used the 360 pad at all? I do prefer keyboard/mouse too...but I would not mind trying that out...
I bought the game for the 360 and Steam (similar setup: 3GHz Core 2 Duo, GTX275, 4 GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit)

I prefer the PC version, I've been a PC FPS player since Doom II and much prefer the extra framerate, higher resolution and mouse/keyboard controls. If you normally like those things I'd say for sure buy the Steam version.

As far as problems connecting in co-op; those are due to this game having no dedicated servers and routers with NATs and firewalls. If the user knows how to open some ports the right way they'll have no issues connecting or hosting (I do hate that they use Gamespy though, it hasn't been 1998 for a while now...)

The tweaks you can do for the PC version can fix most of that 'console port' feel. Having played both versions I can say they both have minor issues, some of which should have been fixed before shipping. For the most part though this is a really fun game an it is worth picking up for your preferred gaming platform.

I just want to add that with most games; the people with issues are going to be WAY more vocal then the happy people without problems. The worst thing for me out of both versions has been having to use Gamespy to connect with friends instead of using my Steam friends list.

Jonsoncao

Banned
practice02 said:
it is noticeable since PC has the v-sync and better framerate(very noticeable for me at least), resolution-wise not that apparent since all textures in Borderlands are kinda low...

Jonsoncao said:
it is noticeable since PC has the v-sync and better framerate(very noticeable for me at least), resolution-wise not that apparent since all textures in Borderlands are kinda low...
there is no tearing on the 360 version that I've seen so big deal V-sync and the framerate stuff big woop you rarely encounter that as an issue and when you do it's not game breaking. I'm just saying that if you want the most bang for your buck with this game get one of the console versions. this is an alright PC port that's it.

Jonsoncao

Banned
g0atcheese said:
Is there anything to do after
killing The Destroyer
? I'm pretty sure I've done all the side quests.
try
investigating the deadbody by a wall when you enter the Old Haven and then turn left near the vending machine
, also there are ten Claptrap rescue quests total

practice02 said:
there is no tearing on the 360 version that I've seen so big deal V-sync and the framerate stuff big woop you rarely encounter that as an issue and when you do it's not game breaking. I'm just saying that if you want the most bang for your buck with this game get one of the console versions. this is an alright PC port that's it.
For 360 version, there are tearings, but barely noticeable during gameplay(I would say less than 10% frames, mostly on the edge of the screen)
a lot tearings during cutscenes, not as massive as Operation Flashpoint PS3, but it is very noticeable

Xabora

Some interesting info I gathered because my character got FUBARED from online play.

Weapon quality is not an actual stat, its an overall color detailing how all item stats add up from Titles, Prefixes, Suffixes, Mag, Stock, Barrel, Elemental Properties and Scope.

11qo9rm.png

This is the top blue revolver.
Code:
gd_itemgrades.Weapons.ItemGrade_Weapon_RevolverPistol
gd_manufacturers.Manufacturers.Maliwan
gd_weap_revolver_pistol.A_Weapon.WeaponType_revolver_pistol
gd_weap_revolver_pistol.Body.body3
gd_weap_revolver_pistol.Grip.grip3
gd_weap_revolver_pistol.mag.mag4
gd_weap_revolver_pistol.Barrel.barrel2
gd_weap_revolver_pistol.Sight.sight3
gd_weap_revolver_pistol.Stock.stock None
gd_weap_revolver_pistol.acc.acc5_Explosive
gd_weap_shared_materialparts.ManufacturerMaterials.Material_Maliwan_2
gd_weap_names_shared.Prefix_Tech.Prefix_DTExplosive3_Detonating
gd_weap_revolver_pistol.Title.Title_Firerate1_Law

This is the epic purple revolver.
Code:
gd_weap_revolver_pistol.Body.body4
gd_weap_revolver_pistol.Grip.grip4
gd_weap_revolver_pistol.Barrel.barrel4
gd_weap_revolver_pistol.Sight.sight4

Frostburn said:
I bought the game for the 360 and Steam (similar setup: 3GHz Core 2 Duo, GTX275, 4 GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit)

I prefer the PC version, I've been a PC FPS player since Doom II and much prefer the extra framerate, higher resolution and mouse/keyboard controls. If you normally like those things I'd say for sure buy the Steam version.

As far as problems connecting in co-op; those are due to this game having no dedicated servers and routers with NATs and firewalls. If the user knows how to open some ports the right way they'll have no issues connecting or hosting (I do hate that they use Gamespy though, it hasn't been 1998 for a while now...)

The tweaks you can do for the PC version can fix most of that 'console port' feel. Having played both versions I can say they both have minor issues, some of which should have been fixed before shipping. For the most part though this is a really fun game an it is worth picking up for your preferred gaming platform.

I just want to add that with most games; the people with issues are going to be WAY more vocal then the happy people without problems. The worst thing for me out of both versions has been having to use Gamespy to connect with friends instead of using my Steam friends list.

Thanks man

I dunno ...I'll prolly just spring for the PC version. Being able to tweak .ini/.cfg files and such, pushes me over the edge. Not to mention, things could turn out alright in a fews weeks with a patch or two right?

So yeah. Probably will buy tommorow on payday.

Xabora said:
Some interesting info I gathered because my character got FUBARED from online play.

Weapon quality is not an actual stat, its an overall color detailing how all item stats add up from Titles, Prefixes, Suffixes, Mag, Stock, Barrel, Elemental Properties and Scope.

11qo9rm.png

This is the top blue revolver.
Code:
gd_weap_revolver_pistol.Body.body3
gd_weap_revolver_pistol.Grip.grip3
gd_weap_revolver_pistol.Barrel.barrel2
gd_weap_revolver_pistol.Sight.sight3

This is the epic purple revolver.
Code:
gd_weap_revolver_pistol.Body.body4
gd_weap_revolver_pistol.Grip.grip4
gd_weap_revolver_pistol.Barrel.barrel4
gd_weap_revolver_pistol.Sight.sight4
Wait so your saying that if it has a scope it's accuracy goes up? OMG!

John

practice02 said:
Well, if you're going to go by "bang for your buck," the 360 version hasn't bested a $33.75 preorder.

I'm impressed with how well this game runs. I've maxed everything out and turned on vsync, I haven't played a second where there weren't at least 60 frames. My rig's not even that great by today's standards (xp, 2.66ghz core2quad q9400, 4gb physical ddr2 ram, gtx260 896mb, hdd's 7200rpm), but it runs perfectly.

Quick question I'm hoping someone could answer for me. When a gun has a damage modifier on it (ex. Damage +60%) is that already taken into account on the stated damage on the gun or is it on top of that number? Thanks.

Lord Phol

Jippie just lost all my skill points on my lvl 25 Lilith t.t.
Joined a game and noticed I was a lvl 3 roland, quitted and joined another game as my lilith and all my points and my artifacts (might have lost other things as well, haven't checked) were gone. Tried to level up and reset my points, nothing.
So I have a ruined character and dunno if I should make a new one, or wait for Gearbox to fix this..

Almost actually hopeing some other devlopers picks up this franchise for the sequel t.t.
BAh it sucks when these things happen, and I bet I'm faaaaar from the last one to get this.

Xabora

Lord Phol said:
Jippie just lost all my skill points on my lvl 25 Lilith t.t.
Joined a game and noticed I was a lvl 3 roland, quitted and joined another game as my lilith and all my points and my artifacts (might have lost other things as well, haven't checked) were gone. Tried to level up and reset my points, nothing.
So I have a ruined character and dunno if I should make a new one, or wait for Gearbox to fix this..

Almost actually hopeing some other devlopers picks up this franchise for the sequel t.t.
BAh it sucks when these things happen, and I bet I'm faaaaar from the last one to get this.
I'm getting close to a fix for my lost characters. :|

Autofokus

JudgeN said:
From what I read on the office gearbox forum, here is a running list off all the collective PS3 issues.

PS3: Server List: If your lucky you will search for a online game and it only pauses like 5-10min if your unlucky it does the same thing but freezes in the 5-10min.

PS3: Crashing: Crashing is random and happens a lot once your server list did load and you join another players server and bang it crashes on load. If your lucky and that went by fine then you end up crashing later on randomly. During a Boss or anything.

PS3: Corrupted Characters: Very rare at this point. More people play the longer their games go the more chance they will get a lag/freeze or the great crash and they will get corrupted characters. It has happen to me once it was just a level 17 character but it was annoying anyways.

PS3: Host low FPS: If you are the host you will get slow downs like crazy. when I say slow downs I mean if I were to guess like 5-10 fps slowdowns when your shooting all you see if flash freeze flash freeze death. It happens since the processing load for the AI i guess ain't being balanced right? Maybe Gearbox is only using 2-3 CPUs?

PS3: Single Player FPS: Not as bad but I also feel like its sort of the same thing with the host part where it slows down like crazy. Not sure if this can be exactly same thing since your local box is controlling the ai.

PS3: Digital Audio: For some reason on the PS3 there is a bug where and I'm no programmer but the audio kicks out like it feels like one the threads process the audio crashes and reboots it. It's not something to die over but very annoying and strange.

PS3: Split Screen: I'm sorry but I don't know what to say. It was bad enough one person lost there character but now you can do 2 at once. This has just the same issues but a lot worse. It feels like GearBox forgot to test this function out. To be fair I'm just letting you know in this post you get the works above but more frequent like crashes fps loss. Not to mention the horrible UI scrolling to see it.

PS3: Friend List: Now I don't know what you did or PSN did wrong here. You did fix it sort of. But I have random crazy people I deleted and removed as my friend that now can see me and I can see them playing and even annoying me by trying join my games.

PS3: Microphone: Now if your using a Bluetooth headset or using a Logitec USB headset we all get cut outs and sometimes where it makes the guy sound like he is going a million miles an hour and the works

PS3: Skills Bug: This bug I think happens on PS3 and 360. This is the issue we have so far. If a players gets kicked during mid save sometimes it messes or changes his save game. The worst thing that has happen is it corrupts the saved game. Best way to stop this is maybe force save and a 5 second pause after it that kick or exit can not take an effect.

It sounds like to me like the PS3 version is complete trash, and gearbox hasn't even acknowledged their are problems. I have the PC version and while it truly is a simple console port with its own problems (Can't connect to multiplayer games, lock ups, GPF errors, crappy FOV, and bad voice chat) its in a little better condition then the PS3.
Soldier Lvl29, Hunter Lvl28 & another Soldier with Lvl9 here. Half of the time playing co-op and half of that in local co-op. And I had none of this issues. Happily playing with my friends the whole week.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
JakOfTheShadows said:
Quick question I'm hoping someone could answer for me. When a gun has a damage modifier on it (ex. Damage +60%) is that already taken into account on the stated damage on the gun or is it on top of that number? Thanks.
Already taken into account.

aeolist

Banned
So I tried to no intro fix and the game still locks up me entire system when I launch it.

Gearbox still hasn't gotten back to me on my support ticket and I'm really pissed that I can't play. Has anyone heard of this problem and any fixes that may exist?

practice02 said:
wouldn't the best bang for the buck be the pc version since it costs less?

Just got into the new area and turned the power on. Lvl 21 and the game is progressing nicely.

One question... when the damage number of a gun is say 34 and it flashes x9, what does that mean?

Wow Slegde didn't put up a fight at all. I took him down with a few shots of my MG and Turret. He lasted seconds.

So i spent some time editing the .ini files and now it runs a TOOOON better. Its actually playable now. I can not wait to order a radeon 5770 next week. i just hope it fits in my case.

so i guess i need to add gamespy IDs now??? to be able to play with you guys

Ferrio

Banned
TrAcEr_x90 said:
So i spent some time editing the .ini files and now it runs a TOOOON better. Its actually playable now. I can not wait to order a radeon 5770 next week. i just hope it fits in my case.

so i guess i need to add gamespy IDs now??? to be able to play with you guys

Like what sorta stuff did you change?

Shoogoo

Katana_Strikes said:
One question... when the damage number of a gun is say 34 and it flashes x9, what does that mean?

Most of the times it's a shotgun but it can be a multiple rockets launcher aswel. It's the number of projectiles times the damage so if you got a 60x10 you'll do 600 damage at point blank.

Shoogoo said:
Most of the times it's a shotgun but it can be a multiple rockets launcher aswel. It's the number of projectiles times the damage so if you got a 60x10 you'll do 600 damage at point blank.

Makes sense, thanks!

Oh another question... is there some sort of storage to hold guns in? I have a fair few guns I don't want to sell/or can't use till I'm a certain lvl but I don't want them taking up slots in my inventory all the time.

Katana_Strikes said:
Makes sense, thanks!

Oh another question... is there some sort of storage to hold guns in? I have a fair few guns I don't want to sell/or can't use till I'm a certain lvl but I don't want them taking up slots in my inventory all the time.
Go find some clap traps

Shoogoo said:
Nope, no way to store. What system are you playing on?

PS3.

I've found 2 other clap traps along my way (both when I'm doing a mission) and can hold 18 items currently. I could probably sell more weopons but never know when I might need one. :D

Shoogoo

Go split-screen with a second account and toss items to the alt. At some point you'll look back at those beloved guns and think "what the hell was I thinking, they're CRAP!" :D

Xabora

I managed to find the proper bits and give my character the amount of points for his level.
Yay PC Version.

Currently it functions as such.

1: Talent Points are not awarded via level.
2: Talent Points are awarded when you gain a level by the UScript.
3: Loosing your talent build via the save system causes you to loose all talent points as you cannot redeem them.
4: Respecing gives you talent points based on your level.
5: The Game needs a script to check for talents on load, spare talent points, and if you are missing any and award you the missing points into your spare pool.

I didn't realize how many optional missions there were in this game till I played with someone apparently speed running it last night.
We spent all of five minutes in the Dahl Headlands before moving on to New Haven O_O.

I've found what I consider to be a fairly major flaw in co-op, I'm playing with my character I've completed every mission with, so when they pick a mission it shows up with checkmarks since I've already done it. Meaning I have absolutely no idea how much of the mission they've already completed.

Blizzard

Banned
Xabora said:
I managed to find the proper bits and give my character the amount of points for his level.
Yay PC Version.

Currently it functions as such.

1: Talent Points are not awarded via level.
2: Talent Points are awarded when you gain a level by the UScript.
3: Loosing your talent build via the save system causes you to loose all talent points as you cannot redeem them.
4: Respecing gives you talent points based on your level.
5: The Game needs a script to check for talents on load, spare talent points, and if you are missing any and award you the missing points into your spare pool.
Wow, did they not strip out their source from the UnrealScript? I didn't even think of checking. It's nice to see it's easily hackable to restore lost character stuff.

I'm just sad the editor doesn't work. That might almost make up for not being able to play with friends. I tried both "borderlands editor" and "borderlands willoweditor", but the latter goes fullscreen and then has an exception for file not found. I'm not sure if it's just trying to load a map file and not the editor at all, or what. BIAHH didn't have an editor, did it? If I knew some way of logging file open calls, I could see what file it's trying to access...

Top Bottom