• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Swag

Hawkian said:

Did you have to do anything in the .ini files to enable AA or did you just use the software that came with your gfx card, I have my Catalyst Control Center for my Radeon 4890 at AA 8x but I haven't had a performance hit and I can't really tell if it looks better or not :lol

DRock said:
Quick question, can you hotkey the Medkits or do you have to go to the menu to use them each time?

I'm wondering this as well.

Also, is there an easier to way manage inventory that I'm missing, or even some rhyme or reason as to why it will sometimes toss your current weapon in the bag and replace it with one you've picked up and other times will just stock the new pickup directly in the bag?

It's annoying to have a good gun in use and then have to dig it back out of inventory after picking one up. Maybe it's because I'm holding the pickup button too long or something...

Also, is there an easy way to show your gun's stats to people in your party without having to drop it?

Jonsoncao said:
in short:

Better Graphics: PC
Better Online: 360
if you only have a PS3: PS3

also the UI is optimized for console
the PC UI is kinda awkward seeing the Quicklook at giantbomb

I've played it with both the mouse and 360 pad, honestly the UI ain't so bad with the mouse+KB, takes about 10 mins to get used to.

Teknoman

Holding the key on a weapon switches it in. The medical kits I think add health regen effects at times. The health vials are more like medkits in the usual sense of the word.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Right, just tap e to pick up rather than switch.

No ini tweaks are required for AA, but I don't know anything about ATI cards, I'm sorry :'(

Prezhulio

played for the first time online. i was lvl 25 and he was lvl 24 so i thought it'd be same as offline just with some awesome cooping. i gained 2 levels in 30 minutes....why the fuck was i playing this solo at all? the story is mostly text based, and i don't really care that much about it. coop from here on out. freaking addicting as hell, bugs, complaints, and missing features aside.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay... :lol Found the real reason AA isn't enabled in the settings menu:

9sryqh.jpg

Aha. Must have something to do with how 2D versions of the black edges are rendered. :lol Wow.

Think I'll just go back to off, though I'm not sure.

Third person mode, however, is totally awesome.

Fov 90:
2w555sl.png

Fov 110:
iwjkti.png

Awesome for seeing your character colors/whole guns. At 90 or above it's perfectly playable, too, though some animations are not made for it. Iron sights are also pointless, as your crosshair disappears. But standard aiming is of course more accurate so it's not really necessary. Scopes still work fine, switching you into FP.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Just started it and played a while. Generally I dont like cel shaded games but this one seems awesome. The starting video was pure 'wow'!

Red

letsbereasonable said:
It's annoying to have a good gun in use and then have to dig it back out of inventory after picking one up. Maybe it's because I'm holding the pickup button too long or something...
It probably is. Hold the pick up button for a little too long and you'll switch guns. Tap it just to pick one up and toss it into your backpack.

UFRA

Has anyone found any workarounds for the friends list issue on the PS3 version?

It's the strangest thing I've ever seen. I select "invite friends" and it shows friends that I DELETED from my list years ago, yet some of my current friends don't even show up lol.

A friend and I tried deleting each other, rebooting, then re-adding each other, and that didn't work. For now we've just been making a public game and kicking people out if they join. I feel bad, but I just want to play with a buddy and not some random guy who's 20 levels higher than us...

jabipun

How many missions total does this game have?

Every where I check, interviews, previews, wikipedia's page on borderlands, says 130 missions total (including main and side quests).

I've been playing this game quite awhile, and on my farthest character I've completed 80 missions in my log. I'm level 31 (I just did the old haven quest - turn off the smoke signal). I find it hard to believe that I have 50 quests left.

Zzoram

jabipun said:

Every where I check, interviews, previews, wikipedia's page on borderlands, says 130 missions total (including main and side quests).

I've been playing this game quite awhile, and on my farthest character I've completed 80 missions in my log. I'm level 31 (I just did the old haven quest - turn off the smoke signal). I find it hard to believe that I have 50 quests left.

I don't know how many missions there are but you do have quite a few left after Old Haven if you do every side quest. I got to level 36 completing every quest in the game singleplayer.

jabipun said:

47 plot missions, 79 side missions

jabipun

_tetsuo_ said:
10-28-20095-36-02PM.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

That shotgun has a better fire rate than many smg's. Fuckin' crazy. I love randomly generated shit.

This, along with Left 4 Dead's director A.I gives me a lot of hope in the future on devs creating these A.I programs to extend and diversify game content/experiences.

I know this weapon may be pre-planned (or is it?) but still, statement holds true.

Lord Phol

Might just re-roll and leave my Siren on the bench for now, perhaps they'll be able to fix lost characters with a patch.
ATM Lilith is considered the best and most popular character, Brick seems kind of broken and I allready have a Mordecai that I'm playing offline with a friend (though tempting to make a new one :x), so I guess I'll be rolling Pandora Roland-style!

DMPrince said:
How do i make it go into third person mode/ o_O.
PC?
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=79043

Within WillowInput.ini:

Search for [WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput]. Below the chunk of bindings, add the following:
Quote:
Bindings=(Name="F3",Command="Camera ThirdPerson",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F4",Command="Camera FirstPerson",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
F3 goes into third person, F4 switches back to first person. As such, you can swap out the keys (F3 and F4) to the keys of your liking.
_tetsuo_ said:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w174/TKhaos/10-28-20095-36-02PM.jpg[IMG]

:lol :lol :lol[/QUOTE]
:lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Damn. Just finished a 4 player session. So fucking FUN! Rolled a Soldier as a medic spec with some offensive talents thrown in (such as shotguns). Hit lvl 18 or 19 tonight. So awesome. My shotgun is up to level 7 and I picked up a combat rifle and I'm really digging that weapon too. Great stuff.

Tenkai Star said:
Crap, still no Borderlands in the mail =( Damn Zavvi.

Are you in the UK? Do you know if there are postal strikes today? I'm waiting for the PC version but I don't even know if we get any post today and the delivery times around here aren't consistent.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Blizzard said:
Just tried disabling Avast's 6 providers AND the windows 7 firewall -- still the same exact problem. Awesome! :D
I had a LOT of problems with Avast and Vista last year. Gave me numerous bugs. Once I completely removed it from my PC, things ran better.

Baloonatic said:
Are you in the UK? Do you know if there are postal strikes today? I'm waiting for the PC version but I don't even know if we get any post today and the delivery times around here aren't consistent.
No Sweden but wasn't the strike last week? Anyways it was shipped last friday so it should be in the mail today. I want fat loot!

So I already have an almost lvl 20 roland

how is brick playing? People have been saying no-one is playing him, is that because he is shitty? :( a mate is getting the game unlocked tomorrow and I'm starting a new character for just playing with him. He wants Lillith so I want either brick or Mordecai. But if Brick is just obviously broken then I'll go the sniper

Shoogoo

Brick is awesome. People don't pick him because they think he can't hold a gun. And a FPS without guns is like iceskating without skates

I have noticed it took me ages to even get explosives though, as brick do more drop (I only say this as I've noticed the game drops things based on what is needed, health never drops if I'm full, ammo drops when I need it basically)

Baloonatic said:

Today the 'van men' are on strike. Delivery men go on strike Saturday.

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
teacupcopter said:

how is brick playing? People have been saying no-one is playing him, is that because he is shitty? :( a mate is getting the game unlocked tomorrow and I'm starting a new character for just playing with him. He wants Lillith so I want either brick or Mordecai. But if Brick is just obviously broken then I'll go the sniper

Ive been playing as Brick and bloody loving it.

Currently level 30, and have focused on his Tank & Brawler trees. (The Blaster one is wank.)

Rollign around at the moment with well over 1000 health, 450 shields, getting 50% DMG resistance plus melee boosts with every kill.

Most battles involve getting up close with my 16 shell mag, x3 explosive, cross pattern shotgun, destroying everyone until my health gets low, then whacking on berzerker mode and smashing everyone's face in while my health regenerates. Berzerker is even useful when you cant get up close as it basically gives you a dead fast health regen.

Not really played the other characters yet but Brick is certainly a lot of fun.

Subliminal42 said:
Today the 'van men' are on strike. Delivery men go on strike Saturday.

Ah ok thanks. Fingers crossed it comes today then. Why do they have to strike around video game release days? :lol

Edit: Just got here! Good old Parcel Force.

Shoogoo

I don't understand Roland's deploy skill. The turret takes 100s to reload, yet with the skill at 5 it takes 60s to reload, shouldn't that be 50s?

And I have a mod with +3 deploy which lowers it to 46s instead of 60s but to me, it should be down to 20s which of course would make the class completely broken and leads me to think that there is a trick in the maths.

I suck at maths, can anybody try to explain me?

edit: I found a +4 deploy and that lower it down to 43s, 3 seconds less than a +3..

teacupcopter said:

I love playing as Brick. The punching mechanic is pretty well done, especially when combined with the elemental things. I punch people and set them on fire, and they run away screaming. That is how cool I am.

The berserk mode has a 1 minute cool down, and it heals you. It is sufficient healing for solo play, and it prevents you from dieing when you charge into a group of bad guys. Nothing is more fun than getting frustrated with how a firefight is going, berserk, and run straight up to the thing you are so afraid of and punch it in the butt. And, you are getting your health back by doing this.

Lord Phol

Shoogoo said:
I don't understand Roland's deploy skill. The turret takes 100s to reload, yet with the skill at 5 it takes 60s to reload, shouldn't that be 50s?

And I have a mod with +3 deploy which lowers it to 46s instead of 60s but to me, it should be down to 20s which of course would make the class completely broken and leads me to think that there is a trick in the maths.

I suck at maths, can anybody try to explain me?

edit: I found a +4 deploy and that lower it down to 43s, 3 seconds less than a +3..

That's interesting, and not all too suprising.
I would like to know this as well :c.

Shoogoo

Lord Phol said:
That's interesting, and not all too suprising.
I would like to know this as well :c.

If you want my opinion, refire would be a better bet for a class mod. Keep deploy at 5 but bring refire to 9 so that you gain exactly 9s on the cooldown.

What sucks about it is that the only class mod to offer refire+ is shocktrooper and it's meh

Lord Phol

Shoogoo said:
If you want my opinion, refire would be a better bet for a class mod. Keep deploy at 5 but bring refire to 9 so that you gain exactly 9s on the cooldown.

What sucks about it is that the only class mod to offer refire+ is shocktrooper and it's meh

Sounds like the safest bet until this is straightend out/fixed.
Was thinking something like http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/roland/#01550250432150513220000 for a build.

So the turret downtime should be pretty low as is :d.
What's so meh about shocktrooper? :eek:

Philthy

I find it amazing that a game with so many things going against it can still come out with really high scores and pretty much loved by everyone. When I am playing I see sooooo much that is wrong with the game, but at the same time it is seriously addicting and fun.

I can't imagine what a sequel is going to be like if they fix all the minor complaints. (Of which there are just as many as there are guns in this game!)

LunaticPuma said:
I must be watching the wrong channels.

You must be, it is seriously all over the TV. Not just G4 and stuff, either. I saw a bunch during Flash Forward and a few other shows I watch that is prime time.

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
Class_A_Ninja said:
I love playing as Brick. The punching mechanic is pretty well done, especially when combined with the elemental things. I punch people and set them on fire, and they run away screaming. That is how cool I am.

The berserk mode has a 1 minute cool down, and it heals you. It is sufficient healing for solo play, and it prevents you from dieing when you charge into a group of bad guys. Nothing is more fun than getting frustrated with how a firefight is going, berserk, and run straight up to the thing you are so afraid of and punch it in the butt. And, you are getting your health back by doing this.

Yeah, hes great.

Only minor issues is that soemtimes when you charge at someone there doesnt seem to be great collision detection meaning if you keep pushing forward on the stick they will sort of slide to the side and end up around back of you rather than stopping your forward charge, which can egt frustrating. You kind of have to charge in then pull up short. (The punch has a bigger range than you might think, especially when elemental attacks are added.)

Shoogoo

Lord Phol said:
What's so meh about shocktrooper? :eek:

Of all the shocktrooper mods I saw, it offers eletrical damage boost, refire and grenadier + shock resistance

-shock resistance is kind of useless, didn't see much enemies using shock weapons anyway.
-grenadier is average, you have to kill ~10 enemies to gain 2 grenades at lvl1.
-damage boost is also meh, out of the elemental damage, shock weapons are the weakest imho, they're godly against shields and guardians but that's it.
-refire is ace though.

Lord Phol

Shoogoo said:
Of all the shocktrooper mods I saw, it offers eletrical damage boost, refire and grenadier + shock resistance

-shock resistance is kind of useless, didn't see much enemies using shock weapons anyway.
-grenadier is average, you have to kill ~10 enemies to gain 2 grenades at lvl1.
-damage boost is also meh, out of the elemental damage, shock weapons are the weakest imho, they're godly against shields and guardians but that's it.
-refire is ace though.

Ah I get where you going, that's a pretty big tradeoff for having a shorter cooldown on your turret. Then again the turret is raaaaad!

Brick is the character for who is not very good in console FPS. Tank (big health and skills that enhance health/shields), health regen, damage/stats increase when you kill someone or you lose your shield. And the main skill convert it in a killing machine in short distances.

Top Bottom